Old 01-11-2015, 06:22 PM

I was looking for a horror novel that was spooky but not gory. Kind of like The Woman in Black.

So I picked up The Pariah by Graham Masterton. It's about a man haunted by the ghost of his lovely late wife. He's on the verge of losing his mind, but then he learns that other villagers are seeing ghosts. As he discovers more about the village's history, he finds a connection between the hauntings and an unholy pact involving a judge at the Salem Witch Trials.

I really liked the first quarter of this novel. But then the ghost of his late wife rapes him. That's when I realized that I was reading one of those horror novels. Too bad.

Last edited by Sefton; 01-11-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Advertisements  
Old 01-11-2015, 07:09 PM

Yep it's this thread. I've only read the first page and can go no further.

Also, The Day After, the old nuclear war movie. It's fairly cheezy and I went back and rewatched thinking it might help after all these years but no, that one minute still freaks me out. Not nearly as bad as it did when I was twelve.

Also one Halloween when my daughter was out of town we decided to hang out online looking for ghost stories and pics. I went a step too far though. This is when I was unaware of sites like ogrish and rotten. Never again. Never again.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:58 PM

Question -- why would you skin an animal alive? What's the point?
Old 01-11-2015, 11:42 PM
Confusing the Polarity
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefton View Post
I was looking for a horror novel that was spooky but not gory. Kind of like The Woman in Black.

So I picked up The Pariah by Graham Masterton. It's about a man haunted by the ghost of his lovely late wife. He's on the verge of losing his mind, but then he learns that other villagers are seeing ghosts. As he discovers more about the village's history, he finds a connection between the hauntings and an unholy pact involving a judge at the Salem Witch Trials.

I really liked the first quarter of this novel. But then the ghost of his late wife rapes him. That's when I realized that I was reading one of those horror novels. Too bad.
Graham Masterton is my favorite horror author. He has written some things (especially a couple of short stories) that I literally could not finish. The only other story I've ever read that I couldn't finish was Chuck Palahniuk's Guts.

Nonetheless, I love both their work. Anybody who can write horror well enough to gross me out is doing it right as far as I'm concerned. I hadn't read Pariah; I'll have to check it out.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Question -- why would you skin an animal alive? What's the point?
The tanuki video I saw implied that it was a normal practice in the Chinese fur industry, but as people pointed out, that makes no sense; it would expose you to danger from the animal, make it much harder to do the procedure, and would result in a much worse final product. So it seems the reason would have to be either pure cruelty, or as a staged incident to rile people up.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:43 AM

The Grapes of Wrath

So many scenes that will forever haunt me.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:03 AM

Heh. I just read the other posts. Mine seems out of place....
Old 01-12-2015, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Happiness the movie.

Wonderful performances, heart wrenching story, excellent direction and i never EVER want to see it again.

Ever.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArztWolf View Post
Yeah, when I first saw the lotus boob I could not get that image out of my head.
Yeah, that's something I wish I could unsee [insert grossed-out emoticon here].
Old 01-12-2015, 12:51 PM

One other thing:

A number of years ago, I saw a video of a guy comitting suicide in a police station. It was a high-angle view like you'd get from a security camera. The suspect was being questioned in an interrogation room, and looked depressed. The cop leaves the room, and then the guy takes out a gun and, without hesitating, shoots himself in the head. The cop runs back into the room, and you can hear him shout to someone "Didn't you search him?!"

Disturbing on a couple of different levels.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanceylebeef View Post
Happiness the movie.

Wonderful performances, heart wrenching story, excellent direction and i never EVER want to see it again.

Ever.
This is how I feel about "Pulp Fiction", except that it wasn't heart-wrenching.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:47 PM

The drunk driver victim that has been mentioned in this thread didn't leave me for years, and tubgirl never really left me. But the one that has been giving me nightmares on and off for a couple of years is the brutal graphic gang rape that took place in India on the bus. That wasn't a movie or a story. It was what real young men did to a real young woman. The details were horrific.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapu View Post
The Grapes of Wrath

So many scenes that will forever haunt me.
Which scenes? I thought that movie was fascinating.

My friend once passed on a magazine to me but told me not to read a certain article in it. Of course I did out of morbid curiosity. It was about a woman in Africa who left her infant with an uncle while she went to work. She came home to find the baby listless and when she checked the diaper it was filled with blood.

SPOILER:
The uncle had raped the infant girl. You can imagine the injuries.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent Juicy View Post
Which scenes? I thought that movie was fascinating.

My friend once passed on a magazine to me but told me not to read a certain article in it. Of course I did out of morbid curiosity. It was about a woman in Africa who left her infant with an uncle while she went to work. She came home to find the baby listless and when she checked the diaper it was filled with blood.

SPOILER:
I don't know how she (the mom) didn't murder the uncle. I mean, if I found that situation, the uncle would have so many stab wounds in him I don't know how they'd even identify him. I am not a violent person, but I know I easily could be in the heat of the moment.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:

SPOILER:
Do you remember if the baby recovered?
Old 01-12-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post

For fiction, I nominate Sundays Game. It is just an 8 minute little independent film that contains some of the most realistic acting I have ever seen. It is just about a cute weekend get together of some of the dearest little old ladies friends that you will ever see. Check it out.
Ok, I loved this. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Do you remember if the baby recovered?
The baby survived but I don't remember the entire outcome. I'm sure it was Glamour magazine. The article was about the horrific conditions that some African women have to endure. I can't remember the specific country.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOmens View Post
Hopefully this was obvious from context, but I want to clarify...if these sties still exist, don't visit them. Just don't.
When I was new at my company watching rotten.com was part of my initiation. Those crazy people I work with

Last edited by Carmella Edison; 01-20-2015 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:57 PM

I'd left the TV on and woke up in the middle of the night. Footage of a young woman tied up, asking for her child, the murderers cut her bra off. She says 'hey - that's my bra" and they respond 'You don't own anything anymore."

It was actual footage of this persons last moments, they'd already killed her husband and child. Some sort of documentary.

Last edited by Bam Boo Gut; 01-20-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:29 PM

Once when I was about oh, maybe twelve, I saw a cat get hit by a car. I think I cried for a week.

Then there was the time I was in tenth grade and we had to do an essay for English class, and then do a presentation on our topic. One girl chose the meat industry. She showed this 15 minute video of a pig being slaughtered. Basically, they slit it's throat, but not enough to kill it -- they hung it upside down and let it slowly bleed to death while it moaned in pain. And then, before it was totally dead, they took it down and then cut off its hooves while it squealed and struggled. At the time, I was horribly disturbed and ended up having nightmares. (I think it was a year before I ate bacon or ham again)

Now, however, looking back, it seems an incredibly inefficient way to butcher an animal. Taking fifteen minutes to slaughter just ONE pig, (and I'm guessing part of the video was edited, so it probably took even longer), not to mention just letting it slowly bleed, while it would probably be easier just to quickly slit its throat and have done with it. Either the whole thing was a set up, or they were the dumbest butchers alive.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam Boo Gut View Post
I'd left the TV on and woke up in the middle of the night. Footage of a young woman tied up, asking for her child, the murderers cut her bra off. She says 'hey - that's my bra" and they respond 'You don't own anything anymore."

It was actual footage of this persons last moments, they'd already killed her husband and child. Some sort of documentary.
Charles Ng (SFW)
Old 01-21-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithy Tove View Post
Extremely safe. It goes nowhere.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:44 AM

I was flipping through either rotten .com or gore gallery back when the Internet was first invented and saw a picture of a cat cut in half across a railroad track. The only thing I can think is that the cat was already dead and some sicko placed the body there. But it was still a horrifying image.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Extremely safe. It goes nowhere.
well fiddle-dee-dee. http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k...ng/call_1.html
Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithy Tove View Post
Yeah that's it. Shudder McShudder. The fact that it was quietly playing out on my TV in the middle of the night, this womans last words. The voiceover was saying she had no idea what was going on at that point. Poor thing.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
The tanuki video I saw implied that it was a normal practice in the Chinese fur industry, but as people pointed out, that makes no sense; it would expose you to danger from the animal, make it much harder to do the procedure, and would result in a much worse final product. So it seems the reason would have to be either pure cruelty, or as a staged incident to rile people up.
In the one I saw, they bang the animal's head against a tree to stun it, and then they pin it to the tree with nails. When they're done, they let the animal loose and trust me, it's too busy wondering WTF just happened, and probably in a lot of pain, to do any harm. Only their eyelashes are left.

My guess is, they're lazy and just don't give a crap to bother killing it first.

Last edited by Sister Vigilante; 01-21-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:08 AM

Did you guys ever see "Faces of Death" back in the day? The one where they put the monkey into a hole in the table then everyone beats it's head until it dies then they eat the monkey's brains. What in the everloving fuck is wrong with people.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:34 AM

I realize this thread is intended to talk about videos but since since I had to 'see' to read.

Chuck Palahniuk's Guts was wrong on so many levels.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:05 PM

Indeed. My name here is from Choke, of which Guts is a part.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Confusing the Polarity
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Vigilante View Post
Indeed. My name here is from Choke, of which Guts is a part.
I thought both were from Haunted.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:58 PM

Today, I am actually more than a little angry at myself for having wasted 13 + hours of my life watching "American Horror Story: Freak Show."

Mind you, I was not repulsed, sickened or made uneasy by anything they showed onscreen or alluded to; instead I am appalled at the sheer pointlessness of the entire series. It was an absolute incoherent mess from the first episode, but I thought to myself "Well, it can only get better from here." And with every episode, it seemed to get worse. The finale didn't so much wrap up plot lines as simply arbitrarily stop.

I am not even being snarky. I really mean this - I cannot believe I invested so much of my time in a show that is such pointless drivel.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Today, I am actually more than a little angry at myself for having wasted 13 + hours of my life watching "American Horror Story: Freak Show."
I know eh. My husband and I watched the first season of "American Horror Story" then I said "Well I'm done."

I wish I hadn't continued to watch "Glee" after (I think it was) the 3rd season, when they all graduated. It went from "fun and sometimes serious" to "stupid intelligence-insulting crap".

Did you guys ever see the serious of pictures on Gore Gallery where the woman and her boyfriend kill her husband and pose with his corpse? They cut him all up, posed naked with the bloody body then posed the body parts and took pictures.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Pass the brain bleach: That picture of the private parts of the man who allegedly has two penises.

If he'd had five, his pants would have fit like a glove.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know eh. My husband and I watched the first season of "American Horror Story" then I said "Well I'm done."

I wish I hadn't continued to watch "Glee" after (I think it was) the 3rd season, when they all graduated. It went from "fun and sometimes serious" to "stupid intelligence-insulting crap".

Did you guys ever see the serious of pictures on Gore Gallery where the woman and her boyfriend kill her husband and pose with his corpse? They cut him all up, posed naked with the bloody body then posed the body parts and took pictures.
I saw those pics at the Los Angeles Museum of Death! And the reason they were caught- they took the film in to be developed!
Old 01-23-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
There are quite a few "TMI!" moments in this story, and most of them are about Dr. Brantly. Apparently, he WANTED things like this printed, so people know what this disease really truly does to people.

I pictured a lot of people pushing their breakfast plates aside at one point, and if you read the story, you'll know exactly where it is. Reading it wasn't easy. EXPERIENCING it, whether first- or secondhand, would be beyond horrible. Repeat x 10,000 and that must be what's like in parts of west Africa. Incredibly, some of the survivors want to go back, or in the case of British nurse Will Pooley, already have.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-ebol...eys-1414801784
Update: Dr. Sacra went back to Liberia last week. He plans to stay for a month, and since he's immune, he won't have to be quarantined when he returns.

As for the link, it never really bothered me to read things like that in people's charts, although I might have cringed a bit or said, "Oh, gross!" I didn't expect to see it in the Wall Street Journal.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarTed View Post
I saw those pics at the Los Angeles Museum of Death! And the reason they were caught- they took the film in to be developed!
Jay Leno always hated stupid criminals.

Museum of Death? Only in Los Angeles.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:39 PM
2016 Election-from-Heck Winner

When I was in college, a young woman and I dated a bit. On one occasion, she invited me to her place to watch a movie. It was the most wretched, disgusting, awful, cheesy, sappy, tear-jerker wannabe film: A Walk To Remember

Plot spoiler:
SPOILER:
A popular bad boy type fellow in high school falls in love with an unpopular plainly dressed preacher's daughter. Apparently, she is terminally ill with leukemia. They later get married in her father's church and then she dies soon after that at about age 18 I think.

<gag> I'd like to unwatch that garbage. I'd rather see 2 Girls 1 Cup and skinned live animals consecutively on repeat for two hours.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:38 PM

I was an editor at a newspaper on 9/11, so we got the live feed from the AP photo wire. We saw every single photo of the people jumping out of the towers. Those horrific sights still stick with me to this day.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
...Then there was the time I was in tenth grade and we had to do an essay for English class, and then do a presentation on our topic. One girl chose the meat industry. She showed this 15 minute video of a pig being slaughtered. Basically, they slit it's throat, but not enough to kill it -- they hung it upside down and let it slowly bleed to death while it moaned in pain. And then, before it was totally dead, they took it down and then cut off its hooves while it squealed and struggled. At the time, I was horribly disturbed and ended up having nightmares. (I think it was a year before I ate bacon or ham again)...
Your post reminded me of an atrocity photo of ISIS doing what they do. Only the creature being bled was a naked woman, in public, with two or three of those pieces of filth holding her down as she bled from her throat into a large basin. God only knew what they intended to do with the blood.

As far as things I've witnessed in person that I'd just as soon not see again, the decapitated man lying in the roadway in front of my house is high on the list. He was thrown through a windshield, just in time to have the front axle of a semi take his head off like Tiger Woods crushing a drive. I think his head was found a few hundred yards up the highway, near where the axle ended up.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:53 PM

The Luka Rocco Magnotta murder video. That is one sick freak.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Your post reminded me of an atrocity photo of ISIS doing what they do. Only the creature being bled was a naked woman, in public, with two or three of those pieces of filth holding her down as she bled from her throat into a large basin. God only knew what they intended to do with the blood.

As far as things I've witnessed in person that I'd just as soon not see again, the decapitated man lying in the roadway in front of my house is high on the list. He was thrown through a windshield, just in time to have the front axle of a semi take his head off like Tiger Woods crushing a drive. I think his head was found a few hundred yards up the highway, near where the axle ended up.
Yeah, but they're not going to eat her, are they?
Old 01-24-2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Did you guys ever see "Faces of Death" back in the day? The one where they put the monkey into a hole in the table then everyone beats it's head until it dies then they eat the monkey's brains. What in the everloving fuck is wrong with people.
Most of the scenes from the Faces Of Death series were faked, including the monkey one.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:51 AM

Antichrist really freaked me out, I think it's Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg's performances as it isn't extremely gory. I saw a video clip (only the one, out of curiosity) of people receiving punishment in some sandy bumfuck backwards non-nation, which was very gruesome and stayed with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
The scene in American Psycho where he draws a razor blade across the guy's eyeball. That's when I gave up on the book, and I can't bring myself to watch the movie.
That scene isn't in the film, but he does kill the homeless guy (although you don't see much). I actually rate the film very highly, more than the book.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Ah Christ, that one. Of all the horrible things I've seen in real life and the net, that's the one that stuck with me. I donated money I couldn't afford to Operation Limitless Compassion after seeing that. Didn't help though.

Not enough smart bombs in the world to get that out of my head.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:56 PM

I was on a jury for a death penalty trial so they had to keep convincing us of the unusually cruel aspects of the victim's death to make it a capital offense. It lasted a month. We had color videos of the body and crime scene. We had in court the actual blood-stained clothes, and yards of stained duct tape they stretched out for us. The pathologist who testified looked like Lucy Liu. In her soft, clear, lightly accented voice she made sure we knew exactly what happened. Everytime she described some horror I'd think 'Well, they're not going to show us THAT and pass around the pictures.' I was wrong every time. Worst of all was the photos of: I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THE SPOILER BOX SO JUST QUIT READING IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE (BUT IF YOU ARE MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE IN DIFFERENT THREAD):the pictures of his head after the pathologist peeled down his face so we could see how deep the bruising from the beating was into his face muscles.

As in any jury trial you can't talk about it while it's on. I'd go to court before morning light and return home as it was getting dark again. I'd stop by work to pick papers and drop off what I'd finished in a dark completely empty building that I had the keys to. Man, was I sad.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:55 PM

Shit. I've just been called for jury duty. No I'm seriously dreading I'll have to serve. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:23 AM

My SIL has been picked for a jury twice, and both were for lawsuits. One was a totally open-and-shut case, and in the other, the parties walked into the courtroom, and when they saw the jury, etc. said, "We'll settle this out of court" and that was it.

The one time my number came up, it was too high and I never even had to go to voir dire. For reasons I won't go into here, I was actually hoping I would get called, so I was a bit disappointed.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 01-26-2015 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:37 AM

Some scenes in the film The Grey Zone have haunted me for years. I don't want to see that movie again.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:17 AM

I've spent the last 7+ years as an EMT. A few of the things that I've seen that I wish I hadn't:

1) A guy who went to his ex-wife's house to turn over the kids for her weekend. He sat on her front porch afterward, stuck a shotgun under his chin, and fired. He was still alive when we got there, despite not having the front 1/3 of his head. He had no face. He was breathing directly through his trachea.

2) A guy who shot his 4-month old son in the face because he said God told him to.

3) A bedridden, elderly man who was so neglected by his family that they had just used a complete roll of duct tape to secure an adult diaper to him, and let him be. His body was essentially one giant bedsore. We KNEW it was going to hurt him severely to move him to our stretcher, but we had to. He died when we got to the hospital. But he grabbed my partner's hand and thanked us both before he died.

4) Picking up the body of a schoolmate after he and his brother got into an argument over a cell phone bill, and his brother beat him to death with his bare hands.

5) A 12-year old rape victim who was also shot in the head

6) Retrieving the body of someone who committed suicide by setting his house on fire. He was a friend of mine from school.

7) A closed highway (which is surreal in and of itself) while we picked up the intestines of an infant killed in a traffic accident.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winkler View Post
Most of the scenes from the Faces Of Death series were faked, including the monkey one.
For real? I'll have to Google that. I carried that image in my head for over 20 years, it will be nice to put it to rest as fake. Thank you.