What are Finns like?

We have a new coworker who is originally from Finland but has lived in the US for about the past 10 years. He comes from an upper middle class family and was originally in the US on a soccer scholarship. He is married to an American and has 2 children.

So what are Finns like?

Ex. What are their usual views on politics, religion, personal responsibility? etc…

How are they different from other Europeans? Ex. Swedes, Danes, Russians and Norwegians?

Do they identify more as Scandinavians or Germans or Russians or are they just very independent?

Would he probably have any native ancestry? I’m not sure what the Finns call their version of “Eskimos”. Laplanders? Inuits?

What are popular Finn celebrities? Ex. Do they have their version of “ABBA”? Whats popular on Finn tv? Is their a Finn version of Batman or Star Wars?

What different foods would they eat compared to other Europeans? Do they eat reindeer and whale?

What industries do Finns seem good at?

What are their popular sports?

Anything else would be appreciated. Thanks.

So what are Finns like?
Obviously, they are all exactly the same, just like Germans are all exactly the same, and you yourself are functionally identical to your own neighbors. :rolleyes:

Ex. What are their usual views on politics, religion, personal responsibility? etc…
Um, WE ARE NOT RUSSIANS NOR SWEDES.

How are they different from other Europeans? Ex. Swedes, Danes, Russians and Norwegians?
Totally different language. Very strong sense of being independent, and a bit alien from the other Nordic countries. One of their national heroes was a sniper.

Do they identify more as Scandinavians or Germans or Russians or are they just very independent?
They are not Scandinavians, nor Germans, nor Russians. Your Finnish coworker probably learned Swedish in school (or he’s a Fennoswede and learned Suomi in school, but whatever). But Finns of whatever language are probably not too fond of being told they are something else.

Would he probably have any native ancestry? I’m not sure what the Finns call their version of “Eskimos”. Laplanders? Inuits?
You’re thinking of Lapps, also called Sami in English. Saamelaiset in Finnish. And no, probably not so much.

What are popular Finn celebrities? Ex. Do they have their version of “ABBA”? Whats popular on Finn tv? Is their a Finn version of Batman or Star Wars?
I don’t know. I think death metal is relatively big there, at least compared to other places. They like dark comedies there.

What different foods would they eat compared to other Europeans? Do they eat reindeer and whale?

I don’t think eating whale is a Finnish thing, no. I could be wrong.

What industries do Finns seem good at?
Nokia.

What are their popular sports?

I have been personally acquainted with exactly one Finn. Quiet guy, platinum blond. That’s my stereotypical Finn, taciturn and blond. But again, it’s ridiculous to generalize.

ETA: Most young Finnish men (~80%) do military service for a bit. I think it’s like half a year.

There is a mythos about Finns being stern, misanthropic individualists… and drunks. Who like to tango.

The only one I know personally is my husband’s aunt. She is a bit of an odd bird, but in the best possible way. She’s warm and sentimental about family, tactful, with a knack for gently praising everybody. She also has a fineness of observation that is sort of magical. I really like her.

We recently watched a Finnish Christmas movie called Rare Exports. It was an absolute scream. I highly recommend it. Lots of fun.

A guy who’s lived in the States for a decade and is married to an American is most likely very American in his ways. Hell, back in the '80’s Finland was called “the most American country in Europe”.

Painting with a broad brush, Finns take pride in individualism, moving own their own early compared to most other Europeans, taking pride in working from an early age and taking care of themselves from young adulthood into advanced old age. Speaking one’s mind and being honest and dependable are culturally valued traits. A common idea is that a Finn may be hard to get acquainted with, but once befriended, will be a great friend forever. Again, a Finn living in America may have very different ideas :slight_smile:

As everywhere else, it is common wisdom to abstain discussing politics and religion with anyone but one’s closest friends, if then. Most people are nominally (and apathetically) Lutheran, but atheism and secularism is totally ok. Politically, the numerous recognized parties and political agendas boil down to conservative and liberal sides, both with strong representation.

The “Nokia miracle” describes the huge IT explosion in Finland at the turn of the millennium. Tech industries were huge for more than a decade, with everyone knowing people working for Nokia, the number of millionaires rising etc. That has since dwindled, and Finland is a bit at a loss as to what to do next. Prior to the IT boon, forest industries, especially paper production, was a big, succesful industry. But paper too, isn’t selling all that well nowadays.

Finns consume loads of American culture, especially music, TV and movies. Subtitling everything means every Finn has, since early childhood, heard Americans speak, and the same hit shows and movies are invariably shown there.

Metal music is big in Finland, bigger and more commonly accepted than anywhere else. Still, many people never listen to the stuff. The most popular Finnish artists, by sales, are pop rappers and old-timey dance music performers. But contemporary, global Euro-American fare goes strong.

Traditional Finnish foods are rarely eaten nowadays, with pizza and burgers on most everyone’s favorite menu. McDonalds, Pizza Hut etc. etc. Chinese, Indian, Nepalese, Mexican etc. food is eaten with gusto in every bigger town. Reindeer is an expensive delicacy in most of Finland, while whales have never entered the Finnish waters or menus. Rye bread is the one truly Finnish thing that remains popular, but bread in general has taken a hit with the carb- and gluten-conscious trends. Rye bread and salmiakki (black salted licorice) are the two items that most Finns abroad dream about.

Ice hockey and soccer are the biggest sports in Finland, with lots of basketball, volleyball etc. too. Ski jumping is a near-national sport, as is the Olympic javelin throw, with International success for several generations now.

The question of who’s native is a bit tricky. The only acknowledged aboriginal people of Europe, the Saami, traditionally lived in northern Finland (and Northern Sweden, Norway, and Northwestern Russia). But the archaeological fact is that there have been various peoples in the area of Finland since the last Ice Age, and even Lapland was originally colonized by peoples unrelated to the present-day Saami. Finns haven’t come from anywhere, but have “always” been there, becoming Finnish-speaking Finns over the past 11 000 years, neighboring the similarly emerging Saami.

Finnish, the majority language of Finland, is a Uralic language. Other Uralic languages that you might have heard of are Estonian and Hungarian. Both of those are noticeably related to Finnish. The Uralic languages are very unlike the Indo-European language family that includes English, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Greek, Irish, Icelandic, Portuguese, Serbian, Lithuanian, and most of the other languages of Europe.

Fennoswedes, or Swedish-speaking Finns, are a recognized minority in Finland and speak Swedish, which is also an official language of Finland. One of the most famous Fennoswedes in the English-speaking world is Linus Torvalds, inventor of Linux.

Based on this all Finns are blond, the women are tall, thin, and very attractive, the men are shorter, and they all work in IT and speak English well.

The world really is a simple place. I think I only fail at being an American by not owning enough guns or drinking enough beer.

The only Finns I’ve had any real contact with were attached to the embassy in Moscow. The single women were, shall we say, sexually eager and very attractive. That was almost 30 years ago. We are friends with a married couple; the wife is of Finnish descent. They served a sweet cardamom bread at their house the other day; she said it’s a typically Finnish food.

When I was in Finland, a Finn I knew there told me a joke:

Q: How do you know when a Finn is talking to you?
A: He looks at *your *shoes.

Ok, what is the gag on that one?

People who are reserved tend to not look you in the eye? As opposed to his own shoes. I’m not sure there is any hidden message.

According to Scandinavia and the World, Finns are near-mute angry alcoholics. Swedes are either uptight dorks or Swedish Bikini Team. Norwegians are easy-going. Danes are different, hedonistic drunks. Icelanders are from Pluto. Stereotypes? Absolutely. But they’re common stereotypes in Scandinavia/Nordic countries.

I’ve read somewhere that Finland is about the most homogeneous population on earth. A few years ago there were five Finns playing for the Dallas Stars. There was an article about them with a group picture. It was strange, they all looked related to each other.

Sisu has been called “the word that explains Finland.”

If the European region was America/Canada/Mexico, the Finns would be the Duck Dynasty folks (in a good way).

It’s a variation on other jokes of that nature that are about people who are introverted and who live in their heads. I’ve always heard it thusly:

What is the difference between and introverted engineer and an extroverted engineer?
An extroverted engineer looks at your shoes when he’s talking to you.

(Somewhat ranty, sorry)

Very true. Even in North America, the idea of “native” is heavily political and often has less to do with serious sociological and anthropological research and more to do with who are the Downtrodden People Du Jour ™ are and what benefits we ought to give them. There’s now a battle to classify the pre-European Polynesian inhabitants of Hawaii as Natives. A lot of Polynesia was inhabited fairly recently in history, some of the islands are believed to have been uninhabited as recently as 500 years ago. 500 years ago, the Spanish had already started colonizing the Caribbean and Mexico. So is it just the “first” people who get “native” status? Well, certainly we can’t know that the people that Europeans first encountered over here were necessarily the first! Maybe the Cherokee of North Carolina had immigrated to and conquered their territory from another “native” group that they had marginalized or even genocided. So maybe Cherokee don’t deserve any more rights than other immigrant minority cultures in the US, like Cajuns, Pennsylvania Dutch, New York Jews, or the Poles of Chicago. The nerve! And that’s what “native” status is all about - special rights that “natives” get that ordinary people don’t get. Like oh, wow, you’re a native? Have a scholarship. And you’ll get preferential hiring at Conglom-O. Aren’t we good boys, hiring natives and all <pats self on back>!

And the problem with identifying European natives is, essentially, the political reality that Europeans are all “white” and white people can’t be natives, or even minorities to a large extent, they’re too privileged to get special status. Why aren’t the pre-Anglo-Saxon Celtic inhabitants of England given “native” status? What do you have against Cornish people? Don’t you want to help them preserve their culture? And what about the Picts of Scotland? Where do I go to apply for the Pictish Native Scholarship Program for Aboriginal Scots?

They’re good at taking corners. Finland has produced a hugely disproportionate number of the world’s best racing and (particularly) rally drivers.

I once flew on a plane from Helsinki to Frankfurt. You could say that I vanished into Finnair.

You, sir, will surely go to hell.

I hear Finns tend to be cockeyed.

Oh, that’s right, I met Pentti Kouri, too. So I’ve met two Finns.

He was less charming than my husband’s aunt, but his New York loft was faaaaabulous.