Americans who Carry Concealed: Would you be reluctant to visit another country where you couldn't?

The various threads where Dopers who carry have said that it’s a lifestyle choice (I know no-one has used that term, but that’s my take on it) have piqued my curiosity.

Is carrying a weapon so important to you that you would be reluctant to visit another country where you couldn’t carry a firearm concealed?

Not a concealed carrier (not legally anyway, but I know he carried from time to time), my father-in-law refused to go to Canada because he couldn’t take his weapons there. His RV was loaded with quite the home defense collection but he wouldn’t even compromise by having the RCMP lock them up inside his RV when entering Canada and unlocking them when he left the country.

He did forego his weaponry on a cruise to the Caribbean after that, though. He did complain about it, however.

I went without carrying- or owning a gun for that matter- for decades, so it wouldn’t bother me. I carry as much for the principle of the thing as anything else, and I know there’d be no point in other countries. I will say that if I needed to travel in a bad area (much of Mexico for example), I’d smuggle a gun if I thought I could get away with it.

Not at all, wouldn’t bother me or be an issue. Both times I have been in a situation where I needed to defend myself a gun wouldn’t have come in handy anyway.

Mace/pepper spray is <illegal> where I live and I smuggle it in and carry it anyway and my wife does too, it allowed me to escape from a riot where rioters were threatening trapped car passengers with gasoline and lighter.

I’m cool with forgoing a gun though.

"*Arrgh, Jim lad: there be a fat merchant, plump and content, wi’ treasures o’ the Indes aplenty.

An’ one o’ those swine will ha’ a walker I can swap for this poxy wooden leg*."

I remember that! You did a thread on a heavily armed RV heading north!

We appreciated the heads-up. :slight_smile:

I’m law abiding. I follow the law wherever I go. Finances are what keep me from traveling more not lack of weaponry.

This. When I can carry, I carry legally. When I can not, I do not [mainly outside the US. Inside the US if I am traveling between here and California there are so many damned jurisdictions it is not feasable to go from one coast to the other and not run afoul of some damned law somewhere.]

:smiley:

I hate being out-n-about while unarmed.

On the weekends I am armed 100% of the time when I’m out shopping, eating at a restaurant, visiting friends/relatives, etc.

A problem occurs when I need to stop by the store after work. I can’t bring a firearm to my workplace, which (obviously) means I am unarmed if I need to stop by a store on the way home. So I try to avoid doing so, whenever possible.

As for visiting other countries… I try not to. Will only travel outside the U.S. if there’s an absolute need.

Another problem occurs when flying for my job. If my state-of-destination has a reciprocity agreement w/ Ohio, then I’ll bring my handgun along.

Walker? No, electric scooter! Just the thing for today’s on the go pirate!

You can all stand down now, he passed away over a year ago. Sorry I didn’t let you know sooner.

Sorry to hear that. Condolences to you and Mrs Qadgop.

What about traveling to countries where you could carry once you do the paperwork (if any)? How willing/interested are you in going through that work? Do you directly assume it’s Not Possible?

Are there any? At all?

For my own license yes, but it’s for a bow - very different from a gun and carrying it concealed is both kind of difficult (damn big thing) and required (you can’t carry the bow outside an appropriate bag or case except when you’re using it). For competition guns, yes again, and I know it can be done for hunting in some cases.

For walking around on the street, my question is, would you ever bother ask the authorities of the country in question whether it’s possible, or do you just assume it’s not?

As an example, while the Guardia Civil doesn’t give direct information about either OC or CC for non-resident visitors to Spain (you’d have to ask), their webpage indicates that foreign residents can obtain licenses under the same conditions as a citizen (same age restrictions, etc.); this includes temporary residents. For someone who’s going to spend a weekend, any paperwork required is probably not worth it, but for someone who’s going to spend nine months (as an American friend of mine who competed with short firearms once did), it might.

Pretty much what Crafter Man has said. I’m armed most of the time, but like him am limited at work. I don’t leave the country any more so that’s not an issue, but I’m very reluctant to travel to states without reciprocity agreements. Last time I looked, we had agreements with most of the US, so it’s rarely a problem now.

I’m armed at all times when awake. But it hasn’t stopped me from traveling. I’m willing to take the risk to travel. Been all over the world without my gun. I don’t like it, but what to do?

Luckily I’m able to take it whenever I travel anywhere in the U.S… Took it to Puerto Rico last fall. No problems.

You mean all of them except maybe Somalia?

I don’t CCW, but when I was in Canada it was nice to know that No One Else Could either.
That, and I had fun there. Doubt I lowered the property values That much… and I didn’t cause any international incidents… so… if I’m very lucky…

…maybe I might get to go back some day.