From TV drama to movie comedy

Most notably Starsky and Hutch and 22 Jump Street. These were ostensibly dramas which were remade years later as comedys. Maybe also Wild Wild West. Have there been any others?

Arguably, DARK SHADOWS, and CHARLIE’S ANGELS, and I SPY.

I wouldn’t say Dark Shadows is arguable…it was the very first example that came to mind (immediately followed by Starsky and Hutch, then 21 Jump Street).

I’m not familiar with either version of I, Spy, so I can’t say anything there.

Charlies Angels, I don’t think was much more (intentionally) comedic than the original…a bit more comic relief, but it wasn’t nearly in the same class as DS, SH, or 21JS.

Wild, Wild West, I’d class as an unintentional comedy. I’m pretty sure it was meant as a straight steampunkish/weird west action movie.

I don’t know about that , There was Kevin Kline in drag asking Will Smith to feel his breasts , the magnetic collar scene where one of them is pulled close to the other’s groin and says "Don’t tell anybody about this ", the "hard pumping " and wheelchair scenes with Kenneth Branagh , and his accent , and many other scenes all point to comedy .

Wikipedia describes it as a western steampunk action comedy drama, thus covering all bases ,

Dragnet

Land of the Lost

Maverick

Lost in Space was unusual in that they made the movie version less comedic than the original show.

Not quite true. The first several episodes of LIS were quite serious in tone, and Dr.Smith began as an actual cold-blooded villain, not harmless comic relief.

The Avengers (Steed and Emma Peel, not the Marvel film). Both versions were ostensibly surreal dramas with a dry humorous streak, but the movie went too over-the-top for anybody’s tastes.

You could make the case that Hogan’s Heroes was a comedic remake of Stalag 17, which had similar setting and some plots, and even character names.

Brady Bunch was a sitcom, but when translated to big screen it was at least as big a transition as most TV dramas to movie comedies. As with Starsky & Hutch the humor and tone were completely different/more adult/a parody of the original than a remake.

Teen Wolf went the other way, from 80’s teen comedy movie to modern teen drama TV show.

No, Maverick always had its tongue firmly in cheek. James Garner put it there.

They did satire episodes of Gunsmoke (“Gunshy”) and Bonanza (“Three Queens Full”, with the Wheelright brothers Moose and Small Paul.) It got to the point where they did an episode (“The Ballad of Waco Williams”) that was a satire of… Maverick.

Green Hornet was originally a (relatively) dark crime drama.*
Seth Rogen’s movie was more like a slapstick comedy.

Was Charlie’s Angels originally funny?
I don’t think I remember watching it for the plots or stories.

MacGyver was originally light-hearted but not a comedy per-se.
MacGruber was clearly making fun of it.

I thought Dark Shadows took itself seriously but was corny anyway.

The Addams Family on TV was semi-serious (in contrast to The Munsters).
The movie incarnations were intentionally hilarious,
The original Fugitive focused each week on the doctor helping people and then having to leave town.
The movie Fugitive focused on finding the real killer. (Neither were comedies, though.)

The Lone Ranger seemed pretty serious on TV – but I was pretty young; maybe I just took it real serious.
The movie version seemed to be working too hard to be funny.

–G!
*In contrast to the campy approach of the Adam West Batman series, to which it lost audiences.
It seemed to me (at the time) that the Batman series could easily have been as serious as Green Hornet if they just quit using the silly BAM and POW and similar pop-ups.

Calling the Charlie’s Angels TV show a drama issss, well, ok I guess. It was for the time an action, T&A, drama. However, as with most all 70s ‘drama’, today it just comes off as laughable (sort of like the ‘drama’ in a show like The Six Million Dollar Man). The Robert Conrad original The Wild Wild West TV series was not a drama, it was an action comedy, and not a bad show for the time. Interestingly, even though it was a popular show it was cancelled because advocacy groups complained it was too violent! Conrad was extremely pissed about that.

Excellent example!

I always thought the TV series The Wild Wild West was just The Man From U.N.C.L.E. redux with a 1870s flavor.

Back when it was getting repeatedly nominated for Best TV Series - Drama, it earned Kate Jackson three straight Best TV Actress - Drama Golden Globe nominations.