The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 06-17-2001, 12:52 PM

I'm slightly embarressed to post this but... I have this odd thing - the skin under my eyebrows is really, really dry and flaky. It's like having dandruff in my eyebrows and as such is a bit disturbing - if i scratch it flakes of skin come off. Nowhere else is my skin like this - does anyone know what's going on? Does anyone else get this? Why the eyebrows? I cleanse, tone and moisturise there just as I do the rest of my face - should I be doing something else? Ack.

Fran
Advertisements  
Old 06-17-2001, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

No ideas on how to cure it, but you're not alone.
Old 06-17-2001, 03:50 PM

Poor baby.

{{{Francesca}}}

...sorry.

I get it too... it seems more prevalent when I wear my glasses. I always thought it was dried sweat and other ick that your eyebrows are meant to collect.
Old 06-17-2001, 03:50 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

FWIW, I've found that if I don't periodically (every other week or so) shampoo my beard with the dandruff shampoo I use on my head twice a week, I get beard dandruff.

I'd hate to think about putting Selsun Blue that close to my eyes, though. That stuff burns like crap!
Old 06-17-2001, 03:59 PM
graphite is a great moderator

Not a medical person here, but...

Try KneadToKnow's suggestion for a few weeks. It won't hurt anything. If it persists, a dermatologist would be your next step. It could be fungal in origin or something else that dandruff shampoo won't cure.
Old 06-17-2001, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Happens to me all the time too. I get flaking on my eyelids sometimes too. Moisturizers don't help much either.

I've always figured it was related to my tendency to psoriasis though. That's flaky, scaly patches of skin here and there that break out periodically. It can't be cured but I've found stress makes it worse.

Not a lot of help, is it?
Old 06-17-2001, 07:47 PM

Try Nizoral shampoo. It got rid of my dandruff completely. A lot of things like that are caused by a fungal or yeast infection and Nizoral kills it. You might have to use it every day for a while.
Old 06-17-2001, 08:01 PM

Probably a fungus. Nizoral shampoo will help. There is also a cream with the same active ingredient, but it may be prescription-only.
Old 06-17-2001, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

I... suffer from this too <whimper>.

I find it surprising that, in its relentless push to create dissatisfaction (and thus new needs that it can satisfy), the cosmetics industry hasn't glommed onto this specific condition with yet another series of nauseating television ads.

OTOH, I don't want to give them ideas <shudder>. Cecil has already explained how the cosmetics industry created the North American taboo against underarm hair. The last thing we need is another body taboo.
Old 06-17-2001, 09:27 PM

Nizoral shampoo is available over the counter, but there's a prescription version that I think is stronger, and I'd recommend that because it seemed like it worked better for me. I use the over-the-counter kind on my eyebrow(s) whenever I take a shower and I haven't had any eyebrow dandruff in a long time.
Old 06-17-2001, 10:15 PM

Depemding on what it looks like it could be a conunctivitis or dacrocystitis. Fungal infections of the eye are far rarer. I'd try baby shampoo first, Nizoral later, antibiotics far less often.
Old 06-17-2001, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr_Paprika
Depemding on what it looks like it could be a conunctivitis or dacrocystitis. Fungal infections of the eye are far rarer. I'd try baby shampoo first, Nizoral later, antibiotics far less often.
Did you mean conjunctivitis? We're talking about the eyebrow, not the eye itself.
Old 06-18-2001, 06:47 AM

Consarnit! You think I would have learned by now not to post after working a long shift. My reply actualy applies to eyeLID dandruff, so you're right.
Old 06-18-2001, 03:03 PM

Thanks for all your advice. Fungus? It feels more like a very localised psoriasis and i just wondered why the eyebrows.

I don't think Nizoral shampoo is available over here (England) but i'm guessing that's a dandruff shampoo and that i could try a dandruff shampoo. But i'm not very happy about putting it so close to my eyes.

Thanks again.

Fran
Old 06-18-2001, 05:28 PM

Happens to me as well. I'm from Phoenix so my face gets especially dry around my eyebrows and nose.

Try Goldbond cortizone cream w/ aloe in the yellow tube. This stuff works wonders for dry skin and it dries quick too, so it won't leave your face all greasy and nasty.
Old 06-18-2001, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Francesca
I don't think Nizoral shampoo is available over here (England) but i'm guessing that's a dandruff shampoo and that i could try a dandruff shampoo.
Fran
The active ingredient in Nizoral is ketoconazole, so look for that. You might need a prescription, so it's probably a good idea to try other things first. But when I first used prescription-strength Nizoral on my scalp for a really severe dandruff problem, it was like a magical overnight cure, so I really recommend it for anyone with bad dandruff.
Old 06-19-2001, 09:41 AM

Quote:
The active ingredient in Nizoral is ketoconazole
Which is, I believe, a fungicide.

As to why the fungus takes up residence in the eyebrows (or beard, or moustache, or other hairy parts), its because the hair traps moisture, creating a fungus-friendly environment.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:06 AM

I'll second the Cortisone cream. See if your doc can get you 2% if it recurs; I got some and it is a miracle.
Old 06-19-2001, 01:35 PM

How do you tell a fungus from dandruff?

(Not to be taken as a joke, a la "Pull down its genes/jeans!")
Old 06-19-2001, 02:54 PM

I was plagued by eyebrow, hairline, and chest flaking so I went to the dermatologist. Nizrol shampoo and cream cleared it all up. You can now get Nizrol shampoo here in the US without a perscription. I don't know about the cream.
Old 06-19-2001, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

I get the dandruff stuff on my forehead and nose. I use the Nizoral to wash my face in the shower. There are a couple of creams that seem to help. The cream that I usually get is Des Owen 0.05% and it works wonders, however there seems to be no way to permanently get rid to the dandruff.

FYI
Old 06-19-2001, 03:12 PM
BANNED

What better way to mark my triumphant return to the SDMB than with a question about eyebrow dandruff?

What you have here is a case of seborrhiec dermatitis. It afflicts the scalp, eyebrows and the sides of the nose most commonly. It's unknown exactly what causes it but the leading contender is fungal. Standard OTC dandruff shampoo should address any scalp symptoms. Facial scrubs should take care of the eyebrow and nose flakiness. If symptoms persist, try a shampoo with salacylic acid. Some OTC brands include this ingredient. The most severe cases will require a stronger concentration than is commercially available without a prescription.
Old 06-19-2001, 06:29 PM

Hmmmm

I have never heard of that but it seems likely....