The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 06-18-2001, 02:06 PM

Ward Cleaver's Occupation?

Yes, folks, its been one of those days at the office...

Jim Anderson - Insurance Executive
Mike Brady - Architect
Darren Stevens - Advertising Executive
Wilbur Post - Architect
Fred Flintstone - Dinosaur Operator for Slate Sand & Gravel
Ralph Kramden - Bus Driver

So, what did Ward Cleaver do for a living beside read the paper, look swell in a cardigan, and bang the hell out of Barbara Billingsley?
Old 06-18-2001, 03:10 PM

I don't know why, but the first thought that came to my mind was "architect". Maybe I'm confusing him with Mr. Brady. In any case, I know he worked with Lumpy's dad, whatever he did. I remember at least one episode where it showed them in the office together. Insurance, perhaps?
Old 06-18-2001, 04:17 PM

google is your friend

from http://www.litb.com/LITBFAQ.HTM

"Question:

What was Ward Cleaver's Occupation?

Here again the producers of the show kept Ward's occupation a secret.
On purpose. So you wouldn't know."
Old 06-18-2001, 06:52 PM

In an episode I saw today, Ward mentions something about commissions in the office and getting people to sell more (exactly what was not mentioned). So he sells something, and insurance would be one of many possibilities.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:06 PM

They also never said what Ozzie did. And what did the My Three Sons dad do?
Old 06-19-2001, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rilchiam
The "My Three Sons" dad was an engineer. Not the railroad type.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by zgystardst
In an episode I saw today, Ward mentions something about commissions in the office and getting people to sell more (exactly what was not mentioned). So he sells something, and insurance would be one of many possibilities.
He could possibly be a pimp or drug dealer. This is why they never mentioned his job on air. Oh, the possibilities.

Incidentally, anybody recall the episode of SCTV where the cast of Leave it to Beaver reunite for a 25 year anniversary episode. Ward is an alcoholic who eats his Wheaties in the morning with Jack Daniels instead of milk. Beaver shoots his neighbor and winds up going to jail.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:17 AM

I always assumed Ward was an engineer in light of the fact that he was a SeaBee (like my dad, not to mention John "Wedge" Wayne in The Fighting SeaBees!)
Old 06-20-2001, 08:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by slortar

Quote:
Incidentally, anybody recall the episode of SCTV where the cast of Leave it to Beaver reunite for a 25 year anniversary episode. Ward is an alcoholic who eats his Wheaties in the morning with Jack Daniels instead of milk. Beaver shoots his neighbor and winds up going to jail.
I recall that episode. Joe Flaherty was Ward and John Candy was the Beaver. Beaver shoots Eddy Haskell.

More info at

http://www.magma.ca/~ddhodge/SCTVHOME.HTM
Old 01-30-2011, 07:44 PM

Ward Cleavers job

Ward cleaver was a stock broker.
In the episode where Lumpy wants to join the merchant marine Fred and Ward are talking in Wards office. The certificate on the wall in Wards office reads

STOCK EXCHANGE
CERTIFICATE OF BROKERSHIP
WARD CLEAVER
Old 01-30-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post
An aeronautical engineer, IIRC.

Also IIRC, I think Ozzie was supposed to be a bandleader, though it was seldom mentioned. After I grew older and understood the life of a bandleader I began to wonder how Ozzie could have been home all the time.

Last edited by Starving Artist; 01-30-2011 at 07:51 PM..
Old 01-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slortar View Post
As long as this zombie has been resurrected...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9dKYxkYYXM

(NB: He's eating Weetabix.)
Old 01-30-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam View Post
And what did the My Three Sons dad do?
Serial killer, and possibly cult leader.

Seriously, go back and look at how many characters departed from the show in sudden and mysterious ways, with explanations provided by Douglas that wouldn't hold up to the light of day to an actual investigation, starting with the off-screen death of Steven Douglas' wife. The abrupt departure from fictional Chicago suburb Bryant Park to North Hollywood just after the suspicious and never-again to be referenced departure of the oldest Douglas son and kidnapping of the neighbor child Ernie just goes with the pattern of controlling, manipulative sociopaths. Although Douglas later takes a "beard" wife and adopts the daughter into this increasingly tenuous family, only the most obtuse viewer can fail to acknowledge that cast members have disappeared with frightening regularity, often to be mentioned rarely, as "building a bridge in Peru", "In the Army", if at all.

Ward Cleaver, on the other hand, was just some mid-level executive at a perfectly normal insurance or investment company whose most controversial trait is that he occasionally likes to wear women's knickers under his pants. What he and the audience didn't know is what June is up to during the day. Those pearls and the ever-present vacuum were just a sham; June was the high priestess of a coven of hot lesbian witches in the neighborhood. The Beaver is actually a tamer 'Fifties t.v. version of the creepy future stalker kid Glen on Mad Men and will eventually be elected to the US Senate before getting exposed in a Congressional page molestation scandal. And Wally is so obviously, flamingly homosexual that the only people who don't get it are Ward and Beav.

Stranger
Old 01-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post

Seriously, go back and look at how many characters departed from the show in sudden and mysterious ways, with explanations provided by Douglas that wouldn't hold up to the light of day to an actual investigation, starting with the off-screen death of Steven Douglas' wife. The abrupt departure from fictional Chicago suburb Bryant Park to North Hollywood just after the suspicious and never-again to be referenced departure of the oldest Douglas son and kidnapping of the neighbor child Ernie just goes with the pattern of controlling, manipulative sociopaths. Although Douglas later takes a "beard" wife and adopts the daughter into this increasingly tenuous family, only the most obtuse viewer can fail to acknowledge that cast members have disappeared with frightening regularity, often to be mentioned rarely, as "building a bridge in Peru", "In the Army", if at all.Stranger
This was examined in detail in an article in the October 1987 issue of Spy magazine, "Situation Tragedy".

"Bub" disappeared suddenly, said to be visiting his mother in Ireland.

Robbie, Katie's husband, went on a 'business trip' and never returned.

And yes, Starving Artist, Steve Douglas was an aerospace engineer, or as he said during an interview to hire a maid (which comically misunderstood that he was looking for a wife), a "missile engineer".
Old 01-30-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. U. Shakespeare View Post
"Bub" disappeared suddenly, said to be visiting his mother in Ireland.
Which is curious as Frawley himself (and presumably the character he played) was in his seventies and unlikely to have a living mother. Furthermore, if I recall correctly he ended up eloping with some woman he'd met there and stayed in Ireland despite having no occupation, apparent skill, or assets. "Uncle Charley" conveniently enters from stage right in the same episode to become the caretaker. It was all very suspicious, even at the tender age of eight when I first put it together.

And then there is poor Gilligan, the designated fall guy who was always so curiously placed in a linchpin role to foil the characters' plans for escape. And who placed him in that role or saw to it that Gilligan would be in a position to appear responsible for failure? Could it be the same character that had the only private hut on the island?

Stranger
Old 01-30-2011, 08:57 PM
BANNED

Well we know Ward is not a lawyer, 'cause Wally brings a date over and Wally's dates asks Ward if he is a lawyer and he says, "no."
Old 01-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66man View Post
Ward cleaver was a stock broker.
In the episode where Lumpy wants to join the merchant marine Fred and Ward are talking in Wards office. The certificate on the wall in Wards office reads

STOCK EXCHANGE
CERTIFICATE OF BROKERSHIP
WARD CLEAVER
Sounds like a one-off prop. Similar to the badge in a Columbo episode that upon close inspections reveals his first name to be "Frank."
Old 01-30-2011, 09:25 PM

There was an episode where Ward finds his old Seabees trunk. Tells Beaver about being in the Seabees.

I always thought he was an Architect or some kind of construction engineer. It seems unlikely he would have been in the Seabees unless he had construction experience prior to the war.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:43 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by plnnr View Post
bang the hell out of Barbara Billingsley?
In other words, he was a beaver cleaver?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...and possibly cult leader.
You're thinking of Follow Me, Boys!
Old 01-31-2011, 09:51 AM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

Moved MPSIMS --> Cafe Society, a forum that did not exist when this zombie last saw the light of day.

twickster, who has two separate job titles, each with its own email address, and does mysterious things involving writing, editing, project management, etc.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
There was an episode where Ward finds his old Seabees trunk. Tells Beaver about being in the Seabees.

I always thought he was an Architect or some kind of construction engineer. It seems unlikely he would have been in the Seabees unless he had construction experience prior to the war.
He could possibly have been an engineer, although Seabees were (and are) enlisted. The officers they work for are part of the Civil Engineer Corps (CEC). Ward could have gotten an engineering degree post-military through the GI Bill, however.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:40 PM

How come the Bradys only had 3 bedrooms but had the cash for a live in housekeeper? They should have fired Alice and bought a bigger house.

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 01-31-2011 at 01:40 PM..
Old 01-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post
Aeronautical, according to the Wikipedia article.

I had no clue whatsoever when I watched the show as a kid. In hindsight it's little short of amazing how successful the writers were at keeping work and career issues out of the plot. Or possibly all that just went over my head given that I was eight years old or so.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Seriously, go back and look at how many characters departed from the show in sudden and mysterious ways, with explanations provided by Douglas that wouldn't hold up to the light of day to an actual investigation, starting with the off-screen death of Steven Douglas' wife. The abrupt departure from fictional Chicago suburb Bryant Park to North Hollywood just after the suspicious and never-again to be referenced departure of the oldest Douglas son and kidnapping of the neighbor child Ernie just goes with the pattern of controlling, manipulative sociopaths. Although Douglas later takes a "beard" wife and adopts the daughter into this increasingly tenuous family, only the most obtuse viewer can fail to acknowledge that cast members have disappeared with frightening regularity, often to be mentioned rarely, as "building a bridge in Peru", "In the Army", if at all.

Stranger
And when he was much younger, he helped Barbara Stanwyck get rid of her husband!
Old 01-31-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
As long as this zombie has been resurrected...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9dKYxkYYXM

(NB: He's eating Weetabix.)
Did he mix it into blood to give the blood texture?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plnnr View Post
...read the paper, look swell in a cardigan, and bang the hell out of Barbara Billingsley?
What more does one need for happiness in life?
Old 01-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
What more does one need for happiness in life?
In fact, forget the paper and the cardigan!
Old 01-31-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Ozzie Nelson was quite a well-known band leader in his day. He actually got into radio, and later TV, because he didn't want to be away from his family. I don't think anyone of my parents generation would have assumed he was anything other than a band leader.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slortar View Post
He could possibly be a pimp...
He did spend a lot of time looking for beaver.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And then there is poor Gilligan, the designated fall guy who was always so curiously placed in a linchpin role to foil the characters' plans for escape. And who placed him in that role or saw to it that Gilligan would be in a position to appear responsible for failure? Could it be the same character that had the only private hut on the island?

Stranger
Gilligan's character explained
Old 01-31-2011, 02:22 PM

Ward Cleaver and all the Cleavers were in the Witness Protection Program.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
They also never said what Ozzie did.
Ozzie never did anything. He was always home. The original plan was that he'd be in advertising, but they never showed him going to work, so that was dropped.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

I seem to recall an episode of LitB where some old man was being forceably retired from Ward's office. Hijinks ensued, with the plot being resolved with the old man and Wally teaming up to open their own "office."

While I was watching this episode, I don't recall a single mention of what type of work occurred at the office (other than it being white-collar work).
Old 01-31-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
How come the Bradys only had 3 bedrooms but had the cash for a live in housekeeper? They should have fired Alice and bought a bigger house.
Wait a minute. Three bedrooms. Mike and Carol in one. Greg, Peter, and Bobby in the second one. Marcia, Jan, and Cindy in the third. Where does Alice sleep? On a hide a bed in the rec room? Or the living room sofa? Surely she didn't sneak off to sleep with Sam the butcher? Was that ever explained?
Old 01-31-2011, 03:21 PM

Alice had a tent in the backyard.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Wait a minute. Three bedrooms. Mike and Carol in one. Greg, Peter, and Bobby in the second one. Marcia, Jan, and Cindy in the third. Where does Alice sleep? On a hide a bed in the rec room? Or the living room sofa? Surely she didn't sneak off to sleep with Sam the butcher? Was that ever explained?
According to my book of TV floorplans she lived in the maid's room off the kitchen.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Alice had a tent in the backyard.
..until she went crazy, served Tiger for dinner, & moved into the doghouse.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:37 PM

Ward Cleaver deals in "wetwork." The office is just a front and actual accounts are settled with sniper rifles.

One day the friendly competition with Fred Rutherford won't be so friendly.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:37 PM

Did anybody think it was odd that the Huxtable's didn't have a housekeeper? He is a doctor and she is a partner at her law firm. I would think that somebody coming in twice a week to clean would be the minimum. One billable hour a month would pay for it.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:47 PM

We never saw Cliff's nurses or reception/bookkeeping staff either, so given that even full time staff didn't make it into the show I can see how a part-time maid wouldn't either.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelUpchurch View Post
Did anybody think it was odd that the Huxtable's didn't have a housekeeper? He is a doctor and she is a partner at her law firm. I would think that somebody coming in twice a week to clean would be the minimum. One billable hour a month would pay for it.
But they had five kids. Cliff and Claire were the types of parents who would insist on the children doing their share of the chores. They were good parents who made sure their kids learned to be responsible.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:07 PM

Yeah, but that house was spotless. I have a hard time imagining Cliff and Claire would be able to get the kids to dust and clean the top of the fridge and keep everything as nice as things were in that house. They had a hard enough time just trying to get their kids through school and not going off on harmful tangents in their social lives.

Last edited by Starving Artist; 01-31-2011 at 04:08 PM..
Old 01-31-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
But they had five kids.
Originally there were only four.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:28 PM

Also why did the Jeffersons need a live in maid when they had a small NY apartment? I guess they just needed someone for George to argue with.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Originally there were only four.
Well, yes, in the pilot there were four. Oldest daughter Sondra was added once the series got underway, though. Cosby wanted to establish the Huxtables as successful parents by having an eldest daughter attending college. Still, four kids would have been enough to be responsible for keeping the house clean.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Also why did the Jeffersons need a live in maid when they had a small NY apartment? I guess they just needed someone for George to argue with.
They didn't need one. In fact in the beginning it was a battle with Louise NOT wanting a maid and George insisting now that they were rich, Louise needed a maid.

There was even an episode where Mother Jefferson agrees Louise does not need a maid (thinking Louise wants one). Then when Mother Jefferson finds out it is her son George who wants one, Mother Jefferson replies "Well I could understand how George would want someone to keep the house clean." Implying Louise doesn't do a good enough job.

Then at first Florence was a cleaning woman that didn't work full time. Only after awhile did she move in as a full time maid.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
They had an episode where they show Alice's room. It's a typical maid's room off the kitchen, as was Hazel's room and the maid's room on Diff'rent Strokes
Old 01-31-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly5078 View Post
Ozzie Nelson was quite a well-known band leader in his day. He actually got into radio, and later TV, because he didn't want to be away from his family. I don't think anyone of my parents generation would have assumed he was anything other than a band leader.
he was a band leader for about 15 years before doing radio. his being a band leader was mentioned though infrequently on tv. i don't recall it on the radio shows i've heard (i've heard only a small fraction of the hundreds).

the real kids were not on the first 5 years of the radio show.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:52 PM

Was it ever specified where the Cleavers lived?