The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 06-19-2001, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

I've heard references to sending a 'wire' or 'telegram' via Western Union even as late as after WWII. But did this really involve a guy tapping out dots & dashes on a key? Even if that part was automated did the data itself still travel as dots & dashes over WU's wire network? Were those yellow pieces of paper with the glued-on words and the word 'STOP' between sentences generated from dots & dashes?

Did people really keep using the telegraph rather than the telephone that far into the 20th century?
Advertisements  
Old 06-19-2001, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

From Morse Code Tidbits:

Quote:
Western Union, for example, quit using Morse code in the 1960s.
From The WA3GOS Web page:

Quote:
Manual landline telegraphy was slowly phased out until the 1960s when Western Union and the railroads discontinued use of their last Morse circuits.
Ahh, getting warmer:

Quote:
Western Union continued to use the telegraph until the mid-1960s. And it was not until just this year that it quietly dropped the word telegraph from its name and officially became the Western Union Corp.
And that's as close as I could get to when WU stopped using Morse Code. It's only been about 2 years since its use was ended for the sending of maritime distress calls (1999 IIRC). I don't know when they quit using a key; they had Telex machines in the 1950s.

It's not that strange, in this binary age, to think about transmitting intelligence with coded electronic pulses.

Quote:
Did people really keep using the telegraph rather than the telephone that far into the 20th century?
Thoughts that spring to mind include:
a.) You couldn't send money over a telephone,
b.) You couldn't get a signature for a phone call.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2001, 10:18 PM
graphite is a great moderator

The 1960's. But I can't answer definitely that the dots and dashes were still used. I think they were. Until TWX came along.

http://www.thocp.net/hardware/histor...velopment_.htm

http://www.k12.hi.us/~telecom/datahistory.html
Old 06-20-2001, 08:28 PM

I read an article about telegraph operators last year, which related how the operators -- now all retired but still skilled at Morse Code -- missed exercising their talents. So, they developed a computer program which permits them to dot-and-dash online. Now, they talk to each other in Morse Code over the net. What an interesting juxtaposition of obsolete and current technologies.