Black-and-white films

In another thread, Charlie Wayne said:

A long list follows.

I didn’t want to hijack the other thread, so I’m starting this new one. I want to talk about B&W film as a medium for cinema, but I’m sure this will evolve into a ‘favourite B&W films’ thread.

We watch Turner Classic Movies a lot in this house, and many films shown there are B&W. Colour has been around for a very long time, but it was prohibitively expensive when studios were churning out film after film after film. Even when colour films were common, studios still shot films in B&W if they weren’t especially confident in them. We watched Roman Holiday last week. Paramount wanted to shoot it in Hollywood in Technicolor. William Wyler insisted it had to be shot on location. Paramount gave in, but cut the budget so that the movie had to be shot in B&W. Nowadays, the decision to use B&W film is usually an artistic one.

What really grabs my attention is when a film was shot on very fine-grained stock. This is especially true when the scenes are exteriors, and the story is set in a contemporary setting. I wish I could think of an example, because I’ve seen beautiful shots that I would like to share. Using an off-the-cuff example, I think of desert shots. Now, a desert is very colourful. You have the yellow sand, the extreme-blue sky, the muted green of the plants, bright spots of flowers, red or black or grey rocks, and so on. (Incidentally, we love seeing the Joshua trees from our old stompin’ grounds.) But compared to other settings, deserts can seem rather monochrome. They look good in B&W. Air Force flight lines do, too. Even shots in cities, when the lighting is bright and the stock is fine, look great in B&W; and small towns look even better.

I wonder if it’s nostalgia. When I was born in the '60s, everything was shiny and colourful. The first TV I remember was colour, and so were the shows I watched. But the '60s weren’t that far removed from the '50s, which weren’t that far removed from the '40s, which weren’t that far removed from the '40s in terms of everyday life. Consider today. I’m typing this on a laptop computer, there’s a 46" flat screen TV playing the news in the background, a mobile phone sits on the coffee table, the SO’s work computer is on her ottoman, and her personal computer is in another room. Remember the line from Pink Floyd’s The Wall? ‘I have thirteen channels of shit on the TV to choose from.’ I don’t know how many channels I have available to me right now. I have the option of signing up for Netflix, Hulu, and others. It seems there have been many changes since even the early-'90s. Go back to the early-'80s, and the differences are even greater. Technological innovations in everyday life seem to be coming faster now than they did in the '50s and '60s. As a child, I’d pedal my bike in my safe suburban neighbourhood, play with my friends with toys that generally didn’t use electricity, let alone integrated circuits, and so on – pretty much like kids in earlier decades. I remember the smell of cars of that era, and the space inside of them (as opposed to the encapsulation we have now). Of course, I was much smaller then. Since most of the movies made in the '30s through '50s were B&W, and since everyday life was much more sedate than it is today – and not that much more sedate than in the '60s – B&W films may remind me of simpler times when I (personally) didn’t have a care in the world.

But they don’t all evoke nostalgia. What really does it for me is when they use the slow stock with its fine grain. When the shot is well composed, when the camera doesn’t pan too fast (or at all), when the lighting – usually natural – is right, B&W film just blows me away. I have a short script I wrote back in the '90s. It was conceived in B&W. It wouldn’t work (for me) if I were to shoot in in colour. I loves me some black-and-white!

I agree with you. I don’t think it’s just nostalgia. There is something about black and white film that distills the essence of a shot. The color, to me, is extraneous, superfluous, even distracting. The shape, the texture, and the tones are often all that really matter, and the monochromatic image burns that essence into your brain.

Not to go into a list of favorites, but when I watch a movie like “The Third Man,” every image is so stark and affecting that I get mesmerized watching it.

For the record, I also prefer black and white still photography. Probably for the same reasons.

I learned photography in a HS class in the 60s where the teacher insisted on B&W film only, stressing composition, light and contrast. Those lessons stuck with me throughout my life, and when I’m looking through the viewfinder, my eye is interpreting things in those terms, and some of my favorite photos are the ones I’ve converted to B&W. Like the OP, I love a well-shot (and acted) B&W film like Treasure of The Sierra Madre or Casablanca. It’s why I enjoy film noir, with its over-the-top angles and contrast.

I think the B&W keeps your eye focused; when there’s a lot of color, the eye wanders. Comparing the original PSYCHO with that horrible color-remake, and I don’t want to begin with what’s wrong with that remake, but comparing shots (B&W with color) makes it clear why the B&W is superior. There’s more focus and more visual drama.

Also, I love cigarette smoke curling in B&W movies. No, I’m not a smoker, it’s just an amazing effect.

B&W movies should never, ever be colorized! They should be viewed as the producer and director intended them to be seen. I think most people don’t realize the amount of effort that was put into making them just as they were, or the enormous talent that was required to bring it off.

I hate the current generation of overproduced movies with their garish color, mind-numbing noise, and never-ending CGI bullshit. Technology has helped remove talent from the equation almost completely.

Well, there’s Richard Elfman’s The Forbidden Zone. He claims that he wanted to shoot it in colour, but couldn’t afford it. So he released a colorised version of it a couple of decades later. I have a bit of an obsession with this film. I have a ‘professional’ bootleg VHS copy, one I copied when it was shown on a movie channel in the '80s, the B&W DVD, and the colorised DVD. I love the B&W version, but it’s not one I would bring up when thinking of the quality of films I was thinking of in the OP. It’s all interiors, and the sets are stylised instead of realistic. And the film does not have the fine grain that tickles my artistic fancy. I like the colour version, too; though I’m not convinced Elfman wanted to do it that way from the outset. I think it was because he thought it would sell.

But taken at his word, the colour version is the one Elfman wanted to make.

I’ll quote Roger Ebert:

Okay, but there’s still a huge difference between a film originally shot in B&W and one originally shot in color.

In a sort of reverse situation, I’ve seen both The Cage (the first Star Trek pilot) both in color and in the B&W version that came out when it was thought (erroneously) that the original color negatives had been lost. While I didn’t exactly dislike the B&W version (Arthur C Clarke apparently saw it and loved it), I could tell it was not the way Roddenberry et al. intended it to be seen.

In this case, color definitely trumped B&W, so far as I was concerned.

I have a colorized version of the 1935 She. According to Ray Harryhausenm, who supervised, Merian C. Cooper, who produced and directed, always wanted it to be in color, but the studio yanked the funding (at a pretty late date, too). So I have absolutely no objection in a case like that. The colorization they did was excellent, by the way.

Films that were conceived as black and white, and used that in their composition asnd development, shouldn’t be colorized. Harryhausen himself cites the example of the original 1933 King Kong, for which Gustav Dore’s black and white engravings served as some inspiration (at least for jungles and rocky areas). Furthermore, Harryhausen notes, all the plants in the jungle were colorized in the same shade of green!. Not a great job.

I posted this note in the other thread:

I wish to apologize to everyone in this thread for posting that long list of B&W films.

If I ever do that again, I will put the list in spoiler tags so that people who are interested can examine the list but people who are not interested do not have to see that.

I will now post my complete list of favorite B&W films but … I will post them within spoiler tags so that people who are not interested do not have to be bothered by looking at a long list.

The following is my complete list of my 112 favorite B&W films. Most of them are “Film Noir”. But I have put them withing spoiler tags. The following list is sorted alphabetically by name.

12 Angry Men 1957
49th Parallel 1941
5 Fingers 1952
711 Ocean Drive 1950
Ace In T Hole 1951
Alias Nick Beal 1949
Anatomy Of A Murder 1959
Attack 1956
Blood On T Moon 1948
Born To Kill 1947
Caged 1950
City Lights 1931
Clash By Night 1952
Colorado Territory 1949
Crossfire 1947
Dead Of Night 1945
Deception 1946
Decoy 1946
Design For Living 1933
Don’t Bother To Knock 1952
Dr Strangelove 1964
Easy Living 1937
Gaslight 1944
Gentleman’s Agreement 1947
Green For Danger 1946
His Girl Friday 1940
His Kind Of Woman 1951
Human Desire 1954
Humoresque 1946
I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang 1932
I Wake Up Screaming 1941
Impact 1949
In Harm’s Way 1965
Inherit T Wind 1960
Invasion Of T Body Snatchers 1956
Is Paris Burning 1966
It Happened One Night 1934
Kansas City Confidential 1952
Kind Hearts & Coronets 1949
La Strada 1954
Lady In T Lake 1947
Laura 1944
Manhattan Melodrama 1934
Men In War 1957
Modern Times 1936
Monsieur Verdoux 1947
Murder My Sweet 1944
Mystery Street 1950
Nightmare Alley 1947
Nobody Lives Forever 1946
On Dangerous Ground 1952
On T Beach 1959
Once Upon A Honeymoon 1942
Operation Pacific 1950
Out Of T Past 1947
Panic In Year Zero 1962
Pickup On South Street 1951
Random Harvest 1942
Red Headed Woman 1933
Roman Holiday 1953
Scandal Sheet 1952
Schindler’s List 1993
Sink T Bismarck 1963
Some Like It Hot 1959
Son Of Fury 1942
Stalag 17 1953
Sullivans Travels 1941
Sunset Blvd 1950
T Americanization Of Emily 1964
T Apartment 1960
T Asphalt Jungle 1950
T Battle Of Algiers 1966
T Beast From 20,000 Fathoms 1953
T Best Years Of Our Lives 1946
T Big Clock 1948
T Big Steal 1949
T Desert Fox 1951
T Elephant Man 1980
T Glass Key 1942
T Haunting 1963
T Invisible Man 1933
T Killers 1946
T Killing 1956
T Little Foxes 1941
T Long Voyage Home 1940
T Longest Day 1962
T Man Who Wasn’t There 2001
T Manchurian Candidate 1962
T Naked City 1948
T Night Of T Hunter 1955
T Ox Bow Incident 1943
T Paradine Case 1947
T Postman Always Rings Twice 1946
T Public Enemy 1931
T Razors Edge 1946
T Reckless Moment 1949
T Setup 1949
T Seventh Victim 1943
T Tin Star 1957
T Uninvited 1944
T Unsuspected 1947
T Web 1947
T Wild Bunch 1969
This Gun For Hire 1942
Three On A Match 1932
To Kill A Mockingbird 1962
Trouble In Paradise 1942
Virginia City 1940
White Heat 1949
Winchester 73 1950
Women’s Prison 1955
Young Frankenstein 1974

In re The Cage (and all shows produced in color before about 1970), I find it ironic that most TV sets at the time were B&W. Art directors, costume designers, cinematographers, et al. had to view their creations through a special filter to make sure they would “look right” when seen in the average person’s living room.

I love the look of B+W, too. Kurosawa’s early movies are excellent examples of what you can do with it.

Yeah, when you shoot film in bright daylight, you can process it as a slower, more fine-grained film. Color benefits from the same effect, but B+W really loses its grain when shot properly in bright light. On top of that, you can use filters to do things like make the sky or foliage pop or become muted. You can’t do that in color film without making a surrealist movie. Digital processing makes this possible with color today, but that’s a pretty recent development.

There is one thing with colorized movies - spotting the little changes the geek doing it inserts sometimes. “Plan 9 From Outer Space” in the one colorized version has different pictures inserted into the artwork on the walls of the house and bedroom. But I’m one of those who would accept the death penalty being enforced for anyone colorizing a film. Black and white is more an art form than just a film and especially with horror more (for lack of a better word) chilling.

Several months ago, I saw a wonderful movie that came out 2013 called “Nebraska”. It was shot in B&W despite being set in the present day.

Semi-spoiler: It’s worth watching just for the cemetery scene. :stuck_out_tongue:

For years we’ve been watching a particular movie during the Christmas season called “A Christmas Memory”. This was an ABC Stage 67 TV film narrated by Truman Capote (who wrote the original short story), and starring Geraldine Page. It was shot in color, but for a long time the only copies available were VHS umpteenth generation copies that had degraded into B&W. Recently, I discovered that the color version survived and lives on YouTube. I went to look at it and found out that I much prefer the B&W version, as it gives the film the look and feel of the Great Depression era in which it is staged.

Thanks for the tip! I just checked, and it is available on Netflix Streaming. And is now in my “list.”

Vic Morrow went on record as feeling the same way about Combat! switching to color in 1966. World War II, he said, was filmed in black and white!

One of the creators of The Creature from the Black Lagoon (I forget which. It was either the producer, William Alland, or the director, Jack Arnold.) once stated that he would not mind if it was colorized, provided that he could supervise it. He said that the Gill-Man’s costume was a subtle shade of mossy green. Posters, comic books, and toys always made the colors too garish.

I have read that in one version of Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde, the actor wore makeup that photographed differently, depending on the color of the lighting. When lit with one color, the B&W camera saw the handsome Jekyll. When lit with another color, the B&W camera saw the ugly Hyde. I wonder if any color pictures exist, to show how they did that?

This technique was used in B&W TV, too. There’s an episode of The Twilight Zone where they used it t age a man rapidly on camera. To do the effect, you had to carefully ramp up one color while decreasing the other in such a way that they overall lighting, as seen by the black and white camera, looked the same. It’s a startling effect when done properly, looking as if they had CGI long before it was really a possibility

I went to an East Coast film school in the 70’s and we always shot 16mm in B&W (mostly cause it was cheaper) and Super 8 in color (probably cause I don’t think they made B&W stock).

You can do wonderful things with B&W and light. And we associate it especially with noir and classics of the era.

But it’s funny that I have the opposite reaction to you when I see a B&W exterior grand vista, fine grain or not. I always think it’s a goddam shame they didn’t have/use color.