Popular because they thought the Author was Someone Else

This has happened more than once. A book becomes a big seller because they thought someone else wrote it. It sometimes happens that, when the truth is learned, sales plummet. But not always.

The first time I know of this happening was when John Polidori wrote The Vampyre. This was the outcome of that fateful summer of 1816 in which Byron, Shelley, the future Mary Shelley, Polidori, and others challenged each other to write a better scary story than those in the book Fantasmagorie they were reading. Byron succeeded in writing a fragment, but Polidori actually wrote an entire story, published as The Vampyre. Everyone thought the famous poet Byron had written it, so it sold well and inspired more than one play. It did a huge amount to popularize the Vampire, and arguably started the idea of the Titled Vampire who passed as human, which resulted eventually in Bram Stoker’s Dracula at the end of the century. But if people hadn’t thought that Byron had written it, arguably none of this would have happened, and Bela Lugosi would only be a footnote in theater history. (Byron’s fragment was eventually published, often as an addendum to editions of Polidori’s book)

Similarly, Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein[ was published anonymously, and, if anyone was thought responsible, it was Percy Shelley, who wrote the foreword. again, being thought to be the work of a famous poet, it sold better than expected, and inspired not only a play, but also a parody play (a la Young Frankenstein), called “Franken-stitch”. Had this not be the case, Boris Karloff might have been a footnote to cinema history, and probably as William Henry Pratt.

It happened with Samuel Butler’s Erewhon, his not really utopia nor quite a dystopia novel. When it first came out in 1872 it was published anonymously, but it somewhat resembled Edward Bulwer-Lytton’s novel The Coming Race from 1871, which was also published anonymously. both books had the same red cover. People thought Erewhon was a sequel to Race, and it sold better than any of Butler’s other books. Until it was revealed months later who the author really was. Sales reportedly dropped by 90 percent after that.

Finally, there’s Venus on the Half Shell, which was originally a wholly imaginary book supposedly written by Kilgore Trout, the science fiction author in several of Kurt Vonnegut’s novels. Philip Jose Farmer reportedly talked the reluctant Vonnegut into letting him use the title and write a novel of it. When it first came out, with “Kilgore Trout” as the listed author, a lot of people thought it was really by Vonnegut. I don’t honestly know if it sold better than expected. Vonnegut was reportedly pissed, and later editions acknowledged that Farmer was the real author.

Any other cases?

I’m sure some people still get the two Winston Churchills confused.

I was surprised when I stumbled ac ross the “other” Winston Churchill many years ago. (and statesman Churchill wrote a letter to authot Churchill when the statesman wrote his first book, remarking about exactly this confusion. I don’t know how much confusion there may have been when both were in their heyday, but I’ll bet most people today haven’t even heard of the “other” Churchill.

See here, too:

A little off kilter, but I’m sure Dale Carnegie (née Carnagey) sold more copies of How to Win Friends and Influence People because people thought he was somehow related to Andrew Carnegie.

Even more off-kilter (because it involves a recording artist, not an author):

My (completely made up) crackpot theory about the popularity of Beck is that when he first came out a lot of people thought they were talking about Jeff Beck.

“Yeah! Beck’s got a new album out! Gotta grab that!”

Then after finding out the truth they had to pretend they really knew and liked him to protect their “music aficionado” cred.

Keep them coming.
Off-kilter is better than no kilter at all.

Mildly related, but I noticed when I was young that the number of big name authors with a last name beginning with A seemed to be overrepresented.

Anthony
Asimov
Asprin
etc.

I think it’s possible that being right at the start of any alphabetized shelf helps to get you discovered, whereas if you’re a L, not quite as easy.

Well, not completely on par with your question, but the book Primary Colors was popular in part or in whole because people kept speculating on who the author was.

I imagine that Dr. Spock sold a few more books than he otherwise would have, until people caught on.

I’m not sure how it affected popularity, but there are persistent rumors that film giant Howard Hawks directed The Thing from Another World instead of credited director Christian Nyby. At the time the film was made, Hawks did not have the critical reputation he later had, though I’m sure some people went back to see it on the belief that he did direct. The film does seem to match Hawks’s directing style, and he also produced, but those on the set say that while Hawks was there, Nyby actually directed.

Dr Spock’s first book was published in 1946. The first season of Star Trek was 1964.

The band Klaatu never became very popular, but the record sales they DID achieve were largely due to silly, unfounded rumors that the Beatles had secretly reunited and that "Klaatu "was their new alias.

The Carpenters later had a modest hit with a cover of Klaatu’s “Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft.”

It reminds me of an embarrassing episode of King of Queens wherein one of the characters is disappointed upon learning that a Keaton film festival was showing Buster rather than Micheal.

See, there ya go! People must’ve kept confusing 1946 with 1964! :wink:

I wondered where the hell that song came from! It seemed so out-of-place in the Carpenters’ oeuvre.

I really liked that thing they did with The Thing.

I remember being confused when I saw the book on the shelf at the bookstore, but I was 6. It still seems to me that some people picked up the book, thinking it was by Lt. Cmdr. Spock. Then Nimoy had to muddy the waters by publishing “I am not Spock.”

Sorry, the first pilot was filmed in 1964.

After that book came out, James Doohan joked that he was going to publish a book entitled I Am Not Spock Either.
And then Nimoy muddied the waters again by publishing I Am Spock

Why don’t they make up their minds?
Maybe Dr. Benjamin Spock could’ve published I Am Not a Baby to complete the cycle.

I think The Simpsosn had a joke on that where Leonard Nimoy published 3 books “I am not Spock” “I am Spock” “I am also Scotty”
For my contribution I wonder if people’s misattribution of certain songs lead to popularity:

Horse with no name (Neil Young vs America)
Always Wear Sunscreen (Vonnegut vs Lerhman)

etc