Old 06-03-2017, 08:44 AM

instant pot

I'm thinking of getting an iPot.

We have a pressure cooker, which I almost never use because it's a nuisance to clean, and seems sorta scary. But my husband uses it a lot for beans. We have a rice cooker which we never use because it's not worth giving it dedicated space, and that means that finding it and taking it out is more trouble than just using a pot. But we have rice with perhaps half of our suppers. We have an assortment of stock pots and le creuset casseroles that we use to make soup and stew.

This could potentially be used for all of those roles. And also for making yogurt and perhaps for proofing dough?? Does it go that cool?

Oh, it's also a slow cooker, but we have two of those (wedding presents) which we never use because pretty much anything we could make in a slow cooker tasted better made some other way, and getting up early to prep is at least as unpleasant as waiting longer for supper.

So, should I buy one? Do you have one? Like it? Can you compare it to a traditional pressure cooker? It says it doesn't get quite as hot (rated to a lower pressure) as a traditional pressure cooker -- is that ever a problem?

If I get one, which version should I get? There are about 8 on the market, now. Is it a problem to make a small amount of food in the large (8qt) one? For instance, 3/4 cup rice?
Old 06-03-2017, 09:09 AM
Knocking it up a notch. BAM!

I am obsessed with my Instant Pot to the point that I get annoyed when I have to use the stove. I can cook a whole frozen chicken in one hour. I use it all the time to make enormous batches of beans (black beans, no soak, one hour) that I freez for my husband. Pork roast? Bam. Fresh soup? Bam. Single best kitchen implement I own. Way quieter, safer, and more versatile than a regular pressure cooker. I'd go for the 8 quart but I'm not sure about small quantities of rice. I cook rice in big batches and freeze it.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
(snip) I'd go for the 8 quart but I'm not sure about small quantities of rice. I cook rice in big batches and freeze it.
I use a bain marie bowl to do rice in the Instant Pot. Add your measured rice, water, and other ingredients to a bowl, put the bowl in the Instant Pot with a cup of water in the bottom, and cook normally. Good for small batches.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

I have to say, I though something very different when I saw this thread title. Never mind, carry on.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Door View Post
I use a bain marie bowl to do rice in the Instant Pot. Add your measured rice, water, and other ingredients to a bowl, put the bowl in the Instant Pot with a cup of water in the bottom, and cook normally. Good for small batches.
Depends on what is meant by "small batches," but I've used the instant pot for one cup portions of rice without an issue (last night, in fact.)
Old 06-03-2017, 09:52 AM

Get it-- you'll LOVE it! Go to Amazon and read the reviews.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Depends on what is meant by "small batches," but I've used the instant pot for one cup portions of rice without an issue (last night, in fact.)
It's mainly a washing up issue that I'm trying to avoid with the bain marie. Plus, it's fun to say.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:25 PM

By the way for cleaning, I've found the best solution is fill up the pot, add vinegar and hit sautee. Once the water gets hot it should clean out easy. Great for rice.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
By the way for cleaning, I've found the best solution is fill up the pot, add vinegar and hit sautee. Once the water gets hot it should clean out easy. Great for rice.
I stick the metal pot in my dishwasher and it makes quick work of it. Of course, if you don't have a dishwasher, that doesn't help.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:30 PM

I'm not even sure mine would fit! But I never tried.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I have to say, I though something very different when I saw this thread title. Never mind, carry on.
It was surprisingly hard to google the actual object, because it's not just you.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:26 PM

I'm sold! Which is the favored brand?
Old 06-03-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapiotar View Post
I'm sold! Which is the favored brand?
Instant Pot is the brand. Well worth it.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

I love mine. I made the best ever chicken stock yesterday. Right now I'm cooking up a batch of garlic confit.

A few nights ago I cooked up some chicken (from frozen!), tomatoes, and potatoes for dinner in about an hour. I've also made beans several times without having to worry about presoaking - though that will cut down on cooking time if you remember to do it.

My Instant Pot has lived out on my counter ever since I first used it.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:49 PM

Do you like boiled eggs? It's like the Instant Pot was designed to cook them. The shells fall off when you look at them.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:44 PM

What's the best size? Or, what fits in which sizes, and how do you like the size you have?
Old 06-03-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
What's the best size? Or, what fits in which sizes, and how do you like the size you have?
I think they only come in one size.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:36 PM

They currently come in 5, 6, and 8 quart sizes.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:57 AM

I have the 6-quart as there is just the two of us. I have made yogurt, cheesecake, mac and cheese, and pulled chicken with no problems and everything has tasted great! Looking forward to ribs later in the summer, soups and stew in the colder weather.

Highly recommend. There are several FB groups dedicated to InstantPot worship and recipe exchanges, tips and recommendations.

Last edited by Das Glasperlenspiel; 06-04-2017 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
They currently come in 5, 6, and 8 quart sizes.
Ignorance fought!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:07 AM

I bought the 8 quart and sometimes I wish it was bigger. But I do a lot of bulk cooking.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
I bought the 8 quart and sometimes I wish it was bigger. But I do a lot of bulk cooking.
Thanks. What's the smallest about of food you can cook in it? Do you mostly use it with pressure, or as a slow cooker?
Old 06-05-2017, 07:40 AM

I looked at the Instant Pot on Amazon, there are a concerning number of negative reviews. Quite a few people loved it for several months until it quit working. They claim no customer service. I don't know, I still use a regular stovetop pressure cooker.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:55 AM
The Zeroeth Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Terrific View Post
I looked at the Instant Pot on Amazon, there are a concerning number of negative reviews. Quite a few people loved it for several months until it quit working. They claim no customer service. I don't know, I still use a regular stovetop pressure cooker.
My wife could speak better to this as she was more involved, but our first Instant Pot had an electronic defect show up after just a few days of use. As I recall, my wife exchanged emails with their customer service over a weekend, and we had a replacement about a week later without much hassle. And the new one has been working well ever since. Seems to have been a very solid purchase for our household.

We have the Bluetooth-enabled version, if it matters.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

I got one and am still learning all the functions - but so far I have pressure cooked a batch of beans, used it as a rice cooker, and did the saute the beast/classic pot roast. I have a sauerbraten marinating for the 17th [had a frozen hunk of cow, made up the pickle, added both to a heavy vacuum sealing bag and tossed in the fridge til thawed, then back in the freezer. When I take it out the wednesday before the 17th I will toss it back in the fridge to thaw and finish marinading.] I plan on doing the classic saute then crock pot cook the sauerbraten, though I might pressure cook it as an experiment though.

I am thinking of doing the homemade yoghurt recipe I found online, and I am thinking of getting one of the flan inserts [I think it could also be used to do a classic plum pudding.]
Old 06-05-2017, 11:05 AM

We used to make yogurt in our oven, back when we had a gas oven with a pilot light. The recipe, as I recall, was:

Buy some milk and some yogurt you like. Bring the milk to a boil on the stove, to kill any stray pathogens, and let it cool to yogurt-friendly temps. Stir in a spoonful of yogurt. Put it in the warm oven and wait until it's done.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimovian View Post
My wife could speak better to this as she was more involved, but our first Instant Pot had an electronic defect show up after just a few days of use. As I recall, my wife exchanged emails with their customer service over a weekend, and we had a replacement about a week later without much hassle. And the new one has been working well ever since. Seems to have been a very solid purchase for our household.

We have the Bluetooth-enabled version, if it matters.
Yes, we had an error. I wrote to them and we had a replacement in 10 days. The new one is trucking along fine.

My only real quarrel with it is the gasket is stinky. I kept meaning to order more gaskets, and this thread inspired me!
Old 06-05-2017, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've had mine since July of 2016 using it 4 or five times a week and it works fine for me. I haven't needed customer service so I can't say anything about that.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I've had mine for about two years, FWIW. With how often I use it, I'd consider it worth it, even if I had to buy a new one every two years.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:55 AM

I got the 6 quart instant pot a few months ago and it's worked great for whatever I've used it for. I mostly use it for making chicken stock (in 1/4 the time it takes on the stove) and for that I wish I had the 8 quart version. But for most other things the 6 quart would probably be a good all-around size, depends on what you're mostly going to use it for.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks. What's the smallest about of food you can cook in it? Do you mostly use it with pressure, or as a slow cooker?
I don't know the answer to the ''smallest amount of food.''

I use it mostly with pressure.

Here's an example of how I used it today:

Dumped in chopped carrots, onions and peppers on ''sautee'' setting for 5 minutes, stirred with garlic.

Added beans (dry), corn, spices, 8 cups of chicken broth and 2lbs of frozen solid chicken.

Set to cook on medium pressure for 1 hour.

Viola. Chicken and black bean soup.