Recommend a Science Fiction Book - Any Genera

I see there are some threads from the past, most of them for a specific category, I wanted to start a new list, of any genera.

I have on my bookshelf:

The Man In The High Castle
The Mote In Gods Eye

The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Vol I - the classic golden age SF short story collection.

Having trouble finding it:

[1]http://www.amazon.com/Mammoth-Book-Golden-Science-Fiction/dp/0881844802/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429852009&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=The+Science+Fiction+Hall+of+Fame%2C+Vol+I±+the+classic+golden+age+SF+short+story+collection
or
[2]http://www.amazon.com/Mammoth-Book-Golden-Age-SF/dp/0786719052/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429852009&sr=1-3-fkmr0&keywords=The+Science+Fiction+Hall+of+Fame%2C+Vol+I±+the+classic+golden+age+SF+short+story+collection

Perhaps I will order both…

I would look at the books of Peter F Hamilton, great big fat complex space opera. Love it.

Heinlen’s The Puppet Masters?

Here’s a little delight: Science Fiction Terror Tales edited by Groff Conklin. An oldie, from 1955.

These aren’t just monster stories, but intellectual nightmares, very thoughtful. Some are in the “Twilight Zone” mold. They’ll give you the creeps…but they’ll give you something to think about.

Going for something more classical, Isaac Asimov’s “Foundation” trilogy is remarkable. But even more basic, his collection of stories, “I, Robot” is absolutely wonderful. Extremely thoughtful, and the origin of the “Laws of Robotics” of which you have probably heard.

Larry Niven’s collection “Neutron Star” is superb. Hard SF, but with some of the most astonishing alien races anyone ever dreamed up. Read this first, and then, if you like it, go on to read “Ringworld.”

And…so much more!

(I confess, most of my recommendations will be older stuff. The classics. But there’s a reason for this: this is where the ideas were first explored. Later stuff depends very highly on these classics.)

Which would you reccomend?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Peter+F+Hamilton

Heard of it, will give it a look

The horror sci/fi sounds really interesting
I’d be interested in the old books… :slight_smile:

This one. Or the 2005 reprint. But you can probably find a used copy of the original without too much trouble.

There are also Volumes IIA, IIB, and III all of which are worth reading.

LOL, I already ordered the other two with one click on Amazon. Guess I will be getting another one… :dubious:

With Hamilton, I’d recommend starting out with his Greg Mandel books: Mindstar Rising, A Quantum Murder, and The Nano Flower. These books are relatively short and lightweight in comparison to some of Hamilton’s other series (his Commonwealth series, for example, is over three thousand pages by now, spans several centuries, and has a couple hundred characters).

Oh, sounds like I may hold off on that one for a bit. But he is definitely good? Thanks for the advice as which to start with.

You might want to be a little more careful. I think you ordered two copies of the same book. It was published in 1989 and then republished in 2007 with a slightly different title.

Not necessarily his best…but a goodie, to be sure!

If I were naming Heinlein, I’d say Tunnel in the Sky, 'cause I love it so much. But The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is also extremely good.

The Culture novels by Iain M. Banks are quite good. Each book is a standalone, so you can start anywhere you like. Alot of his non Culture books are well praised too. The Algebraist is a personal favorite.

The Quantum Thief, by Hannu Ranjeniemi is a good one as well, if you like heist novels.

Sounds Interesting!

My copy of the Groff Conklin collection is a paperback edition from 1970. It contains some great stuff, including a short story by the guy who wrote the novelization of Forbidden Planet (under a different name), and my first-ever exposure to Fredric Brown’s arena, truly one of the great science fiction stories (it’s also in Little Nemo’s suggestion). If you only know it from the “adaptation” on Star Trek, by all means, go and read the story, which is way. different.

Anything by Andre Norton.

In another thread, I posted these as being “hard to go wrong with”:

[ul]
[li]Rocket Ship Galileo[/li][li]Space Cadet[/li][li]Red Planet[/li][li]Between Planets[/li][li]The Rolling Stones[/li][li]Farmer in the Sky[/li][li]Starman Jones[/li][li]The Star Beast[/li][li]Tunnel in the Sky[/li][li]Time for the Stars[/li][li]Citizen of the Galaxy[/li][li]Have Space Suit—Will Travel[/li][/ul]
RIP, RAH.

wow, thanks!

It should probably be noted that all these, while classic, are “young adult” science fiction (a subgenre that Heinlein was particularly good at; the books are good for all ages). Heinlein also wrote numerous other excellent books. I’d also recommend The Past Through Tomorrow, a collection of his “future history” short stories (so called because they are all set in the same projected timeline of events). A number of the YA novels listed above also fall into the “future history”.

Another novel I would recommend is Arthur C. Clarke’s The City and the Stars.