A woman will be featured on the new U.S. $10 bill

But still no word as to who it will be: Woman to be on new $10 bill

Here’s our previous discussion as to putting a notable woman on the $20 bill: What famous woman would you like to see on the $20 bill? - In My Humble Opinion - Straight Dope Message Board

I think it ought to be Sojourner Truth, although Eleanor Roosevelt would also be good.

Maybe they’ll be made of plastic? :slight_smile:

Inflatable maybe?

Ann Coulter would be a good choice.

I hope I live to see it. It’s not until 2020.

Poor Alexander Hamilton. First he loses that duel, and now this.

so they don’t even know who’s it gonna be they’re just picking a female for the sole purpose of picking a female
imo the most qualified person should be on the $10 bill, not a token choice

Good one. Like there are "qualifications " to be on money.

Since the main qualification for being on US money is being a dead president, wouldn’t FDR be the “most qualified”?

It’s not a rule that only presidents can be on money. Hamilton himself was never president.

Here’s the list, I didn’t count, but I’d guess that most of these people were never president. In fact, I see that Martha Washington was on a $1 Silver Certificate in 1886.

ETA, there’s a tally at the bottom, of the 53 people portrayed on US currency, only 13 have been presidents.

Nor was Benjamin Franklin, on the $100, the highest-value paper bill now in circulation.

Good old President Franklin.

I did say the “main qualification”, and not the only qualification.

When only a quarter of the people on US currency are presidents (and some of them weren’t dead at the time), I don’t think that’s the case. The only thing you have going for that statement is that in 1922 (per wiki) they decided to try to have more presidents than non presidents, but still made an exception for Hamilton, Chase and Franklin.

So, no, being a dead president isn’t a main qualification.

Those were two of my first thoughts as well. I think a strong argument can also be made for Abigail Adams.

I have two reactions:
1- awesome! About time, and we should change up more of the currency. Coins and bills seemed to change constantly until the last few decades; now people act like the specific designs are set in stone for all eternity.
2- dammit, Ham-boy’s my man! Get rid of someone else, keep Hammy and rearrange who’s on which bill.

I agree with this, Alexander Hamilton deserves a bill. I say we need to rearrange things. Put a woman on the 10, kick Hamilton up to the 20, and organize some kind of Historical Figure Death Match between psycho-racist-badass Jackson and great-general-awful-president Grant to see who gets to be on the 50. It can be some with a checkered legacy because when was the last time you even saw a $50 bill?

Not a dead president, just dead. Hence, my suggestion.

I used a lot of $50s during our 2012 trip to the US.