Seeking Sci Fi book suggestions

Does anyone have any good suggestions for sci-fi books specifically about time travel or invisibility? Thanks in advance.

“The Time Patrol” and “Annals of the Time Patrol” by Poul Anderson were both good.

“Time enough for love” by Heinlein.

“The River of Time” by David Brin

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head

I’d suggest “The Lincoln Hunters” by Wilson Tucker and two by Connie Willis “The Doomsday Book” and “To Say Nothing of the Dog” in the time travel category.

The only thing that comes to mind covering invisibility is Lord Of The Rings and the Hobbit, but I guess you probably don’t consider that scifi.

For time travel, try The Door Into Summer, by Heinlein.

Heinlein’s The Door into Summer is a good time travel one.

I liked Memoirs of an Invisible Man (H F Saint). The movie sucked, though.

Time Travel suggestions:

The Ends of Eternity–Isaac Asimove
Hawksbill Station–Robert Silverberg
Up the Line–Silverberg again
The Man Who Folded Himself–Dave Gerrold
Bring the Jubilee–Ward Moore
and you should read the short stories “By His Bootstraps” and “…All You Zombies” by Robert Heinlein. The idea of time paradoxes are old now, but he was the first to write about them.

Invisible Men–

I hear “Memoirs of an Invisible Man” is pretty good.

This probably belongs in IMHO and you’d probably also get more responses there but…

I liked Eon by Greg Bear (for time travel).

It’s hard to categorize, more fantasy than sf ( though there are elements of both - the general genre is called ‘Steampunk’ ), but I very higly recommend The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers. One of the best time-travel books out there.

• Tamerlane

Time travel books:

The Annubis Gates, by Tim Powers
Timelike Infinity, by Stephen Baxter (sort of)
Marooned in Realtime, by Vernor Vinge (a different kind of time travel)
Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency, by Douglas Adams (some time travel)

If you’re willing to do kids’ books, let me know - it’s a very common plot device in juvenile fiction, and there’s lots of really good ones there.

“The Time Patrol” and “Annals of the Time Patrol” by Poul Anderson were both good.

“Time enough for love” by Heinlein.

“The River of Time” by David Brin

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head

Thought of some more time travel books.

Behold the Man–Michael Moorcock
Time and Again–Jack Finney
Roadmaps–Roger Zelazney
Rainbow Mars–Larry Niven
Timescape–Gregory Benford

No one has mentioned that time-travel story by Bradbury… where they can’t step off the path while hunting dinosaurs. I can’t remember the name.

It’s called “A Sound of Thunder.”

If we include short stories in this list, it’ll be about 20MB of information…

“Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus” by Orson Scott Card. If you like anything else he’s written you’ll probably like this.

Don’t forget about the obvious choices:
The Time Machine and The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells

Millenium by John Varley. One of my favorite novels of all times, sci fi or not. Unfortunately, it was made into a movie starring Kris Kristophersen which was absolutely horrible and which did no justice whatsoever to the book.

The short story Mimsy Were The Borogoves by Lewis Padgett has both time travel and invisibility. The advantage of sci-fi short stories is not having to read through so much Rashungar-the-Splendiferous or Menelaus-son-of Atreus-of-the-Copper-Breastplate-and-Fiery-Red-Beard kinda padding. There is also a huge sci-fi thread here.

Michael Crichton’s Timeline is an interesting spin on time travel, using quantum mechanics for its catalyst.

I’ll throw out another vote for H. F. Saint’s Memoirs of an Invisible Man. It was published in the early 90s and may be out of print, but it was a good read. (As noted, the movie was stupid and should not be used to pre-judge the book.)

Additional note on Saint’s Memoirs of an Invisible Man:
it was published as mainstream fiction, so it is possible you will find it in “Fiction and Literature” rather than in “Science Fiction and Fantasy.”