Old 08-13-2015, 02:09 PM

Fuck you, Rowan County (KY) Clerk Kim Davis

After a judge eviscerated her not-very-legal arguments one by one, apparently this woman still felt she had some legal grounds to stand on in not issuing marriage licenses because of her personal beliefs.
Quote:
The clerk's office rejected the couples' bid for licenses just hours after U.S. District Judge David L. Bunning ordered Davis to comply with the Supreme Court's ruling.

Davis wasn't at her office Thursday, but deputy clerk Nathan Davis said the office was advised by its attorneys with the Christian law firm Liberty Counsel to continue refusing same-sex couples as it appeals.

"Kim Davis is just an example of what's going to be happening not only to other clerks but to other people who are going to be confronted with this issue and we think that this is a serious matter that needs to be decided by a higher court, even the Supreme Court," said Liberty Counsel founder Mathew Staver.

Personally, I think Miss Davis and her legal team are fucked up and totally wrong here. I think they have no legal legs to stand on and are just pissing in the wind in order to get piss all over everything, metaphorically speaking.

So I would say to her: Fuck you. Fuck you and your stupid, bigoted, idiotic belief that led you to this place. Fuck your legal counsel and any supporters you have, too. I know I could come up with some very clever descriptive tirade, but I think my feelings on this and towards you are better served bluntly and without decoration, so just: fuck you. You aren't a good person and you're a shitty American.

And yeah, I included her name in the OP in the hopes that it'll show up on Google searches because fuck her.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:35 PM

I saw this this morning. Fucking bitch should be fired immediately, no severance pay or unemployment, and hopefully no job prospects in the future.

And "we think that this is a serious matter that needs to be decided by a higher court, even the Supreme Court..."

The Supreme Court? The same SCOTUS that made the determination that these shitheads think they can willfully ignore for no other reason then they want to? What the fuck??
Old 08-13-2015, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

I don't disagree with you but there's more to it than just Kim Davis. There appears to be a whole county government structure that is backing her up.

The big question is why doesn't her boss (County Supervisor?) take action and remove an employee who refuses to do her job?

She's not an elected official. She has a chain of command to report to and apparently that chain of command is a whole list of people who are hiding behind her as she does the dirty work.

If I was the judge I'd be going after the whole lot of them.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

In other threads I kept hearing, "Give them time to adjust to the ruling-be patient.", but I knew the fuckwads would take that time to regroup and dig trenches.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDog View Post
I don't disagree with you but there's more to it than just Kim Davis. There appears to be a whole county government structure that is backing her up.

The big question is why doesn't her boss (County Supervisor?) take action and remove an employee who refuses to do her job?

She's not an elected official. She has a chain of command to report to and apparently that chain of command is a whole list of people who are hiding behind her as she does the dirty work.

Do you know, or are you guessing, that county clerk is not an elected office in Kentucky? It is an elected office in at least some states, two articles I read regarding this story referred to the duty of elected officials to obey the law, and the article in the OP refers to the rogue clerk having been elected (as a Democrat ).

As to the "whole county government structure", the article linked in the OP (1) states clearly that the county executive can't issue the licenses in lieu of the clerk unless she absents her post, which the judge who ordered her to issue the licenses ruled she hasn't, and (2) quotes the county executive as being sympathetic to the license applicants and critical of the rogue clerk. While that could be a show for the media, the very fact that he shook the applicants' hands and was apologetic shows that the local sympathies are not as strong with the rogue clerk as you seem to be presuming.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:00 PM

Dammit, when Kentucky makes the news, it's always shit like this. 114 (or more, my cite's from July) of our counties are issuing licenses. Feel free to visit, it's a lovely place! Come for the bourbon, stay for the rule of law.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:00 PM
Sith Mod

I fully support this fucking.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Did you see the part of the article where Kim Davis won election after her mother retired from the position? And where Deputy Clerk Nathan Davis refused to say whether or not he's related to Kim Davis (I'll be he is).

The article sure seems to paint a picture of entitlement and nepotism to go along with the bigotry and lawbreaking in the Rowan County Clerks Office.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-13-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:07 PM

The Kentucky Department of Homeland Security is required to have a plaque stating "The safety and security of the Commonwealth cannot be achieved apart from reliance upon Almighty God". Failure to comply with this law can get you a year in jail and was proposed by a Democrat.

I'm curious if they'll do something similar with this situation.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:

County clerks in Kentucky are elected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bredin View Post
...and the article in the OP refers to the rogue clerk having been elected (as a Democrat ).
Local and state politics in Kentucky are mostly in the hands of conservative Democrats, at least outside Louisville and Lexington. Yet we only send Republicans to Washington. It's weird.

Last edited by Human Action; 08-13-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:13 PM

Also, the bullshit law firm that's propping all this up is based in Florida, not the Commonwealth. At least there's that.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Action View Post
Also, the bullshit law firm that's propping all this up is based in Florida, not the Commonwealth. At least there's that.
Well, Florida is America's wang.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:16 PM

FYI, County clerk is an elected position.

Kim Davis won her bid for election in Nov 2014 with 53.16% of the vote. And I'm scratching my head at this one, but she's a Democrat. So, hey! I guess we finally have something legitimate to post in the Stupid Liberal Idea of the Day thread.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Dammit, when Kentucky makes the news, it's always shit like this. 114 (or more, my cite's from July) of our counties are issuing licenses. Feel free to visit, it's a lovely place! Come for the bourbon, stay for the rule of law.
I don't have a current passport ... maybe not a problem getting into Kentucky (do you require a visa?) ... but returning to the USA would be a huge problem for me.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

I have a strong personal religious belief that she should be denied oxygen. Why are my rights being trampled?
Old 08-13-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Did you see the part of the article where Kim Davis won election after her mother retired from the position? And where Deputy Clerk Nathan Davis refused to say whether or not he's related to Kim Davis (I'll be he is).
* bigoted and completely unhelpful wisecrack about everyone in Kentucky being closely-related *
Old 08-13-2015, 05:54 PM

Those good Christian Clerks are just following the teachings of Jesus, who famously said: "Gay people? Fuck those guys."
What a god damn shame.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:07 PM

I got arrested for smuggling books into Kentucky once. But I got off on a technicality. No one could prove they were books.

-Comedian John Mendoza
Old 08-13-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwolf49 View Post
I don't have a current passport ... maybe not a problem getting into Kentucky (do you require a visa?) ... but returning to the USA would be a huge problem for me.
Not a visa just for Kentucky, no.

Horses!

Beer cheese!

Basketball!

Blatant civil rights violations

Mammoth Cave!

Kentucky has it all! Please don't judge us by this criminal.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:02 PM

I just moused over the thread, guessing what it would be about, but you had me at...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
judge eviscerated
Quote:
And yeah, I included her name in the OP in the hopes that it'll show up on Google searches because fuck her.
Evil! I like evil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Those good Christian Clerks are just following the teachings of Jesus, who famously said: "Gay people? Fuck those guys."
Have you seen Him? They'll be lining up.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:44 PM

The law firm is probably setting Kim Davis up for some jail time. The judge issued the order, and so far has not stayed it. If he agrees to stay it pending appeals then she'll be fine to keep refusing to issue licenses. But, and I believe this is likely, if he doesn't stay his ruling she'll be found in contempt the first time the court has a chance to rule on the further refusals. Given this is the type of contempt in which the person "holds the keys to their cell" (i.e. they've been ordered to do something in their power that they refuse to do), she will then be jailed indefinitely until she complies.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderw24 View Post
FYI, County clerk is an elected position.

Kim Davis won her bid for election in Nov 2014 with 53.16% of the vote. And I'm scratching my head at this one, but she's a Democrat. So, hey! I guess we finally have something legitimate to post in the Stupid Liberal Idea of the Day thread.
Democratic party ≠ liberal

But I see your point... I've always though it was kinda stupid of Clothahump (I know, that's redundant) to call a thread meant to be the antithesis of "Stupid Republican Idea of the day" the "Stupid Liberal Idea of the day", but hey, Republicans aren't noted for their fantastic mental prowess (and Clothy even less so).
Old 08-13-2015, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

I'd like to see another county clerk deny marriage licenses to those marrying outside their faith or someone marrying after divorce or even an interracial couple. Would the good people of Kentucky and Liberty Counsel defend such a person on the basis of personal belief?
Old 08-13-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hyde View Post
.... Given this is the type of contempt in which the person "holds the keys to their cell" (i.e. they've been ordered to do something in their power that they refuse to do), she will then be jailed indefinitely until she complies.
*Fingers crossed*
Old 08-13-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Don't sweat it. Compared to Florida, Alabama and Texas, you guys are just amateurs.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
The law firm is probably setting Kim Davis up for some jail time. The judge issued the order, and so far has not stayed it. If he agrees to stay it pending appeals then she'll be fine to keep refusing to issue licenses. But, and I believe this is likely, if he doesn't stay his ruling she'll be found in contempt the first time the court has a chance to rule on the further refusals. Given this is the type of contempt in which the person "holds the keys to their cell" (i.e. they've been ordered to do something in their power that they refuse to do), she will then be jailed indefinitely until she complies.
That will be a win for Davis. She's the type of Christian who only lives to be martyred.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74westy View Post
That will be a win for Davis. She's the type of Christian who only lives to be martyred.
The AP article in the OP said she could be fined, rather than imprisoned, for contempt. That's what I'd hope for - that way, she couldn't present herself as another Martin Luther King Jr in the Birmingham Jail. Being led away in handcuffs makes for a good photo; writing a check doesn't.

Last edited by Slow Moving Vehicle; 08-13-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:37 PM

What pisses me off is that this asshole is going to come out of this somebody's hero. I HATE when that happens. If you can't or won't do the job then leave, don't grandstand and use your pseudo-Christian values to try to make you a star while people are being denied basic rights. Fuck her.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:44 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
The AP article in the OP said she could be fined, rather than imprisoned, for contempt. That's what I'd hope for - that way, she couldn't present herself as another Martin Luther King Jr in the Birmingham Jail. Being led away in handcuffs makes for a good photo; writing a check doesn't.
Some right-wingers will start a Go Fund Me to raise the money to pay her fines. Or some organization will write the check for her. There's no way she can lose because either she becomes a martyr for the cause by going to jail, or she won't have to pay any fines out of her own pocket and she'll still be a martyr for the cause and allow her contributors to feel good about themselves.

The only way she can possibly lose is if she's removed from office and barred from holding any other elected or civil service position.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
County clerks in Kentucky are elected.
Elect a new one, this one's broken.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:41 AM

Hope it's worth it to her to be on the wrong side of history. Now she's permanently in the books forever in history as a bigot, officially recorded, no spinning, no take-backs. I'm sure it's no solace now, but in 50 or 100 years, nobody is going to remember the gofundme or the religious objection or whatever. People will point to her as an example involving systemic racism in their textbooks of our time. They'll remember a bigot refused to do her job and was then punished for it. Nobody is going to remember it as if she took a stand against something un-American, haha, nobody. Hope it was worth it!
Old 08-14-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that was my first thought. Contempt of federal court ought to change her tune right quick.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Elect a new one, this one's broken.
I think there are way too many political officers who are democratically elected. Clerks, judges, school officials should be appointed, not elected.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Hey, it just occurred to me that the County Clerk was an elected official.

It's a good thing I'm so fucking observant. Otherwise you all might be making the wrong assumptions.

No...no...don't thank me.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailetha View Post
Hope it's worth it to her to be on the wrong side of history. Now she's permanently in the books forever in history as a bigot, officially recorded, no spinning, no take-backs. I'm sure it's no solace now, but in 50 or 100 years, nobody is going to remember the gofundme or the religious objection or whatever. People will point to her as an example involving systemic racism in their textbooks of our time. They'll remember a bigot refused to do her job and was then punished for it. Nobody is going to remember it as if she took a stand against something un-American, haha, nobody. Hope it was worth it!
In her mind's history book she will be a principled martyr. And that's the only history book that matters to any of us, really.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Nitpick: Liberty Counsel isn't a law firm. It's an advocacy group that provides pro bono legal assistance, like the ACLU or Cato Institute. Except that unlike the ACLU it's full of assholes.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:16 AM

Unfortunately, I expect that if she is jailed indefinitely on contempt charges, this will be a CHRISTIAN HORROR STORY OF OPPRESSION AND TERROR and she'll be held up as a martyr for her beliefs by those who call themselves "Christian" but don't actually follow Christ.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Clerks, judges, school officials should be appointed, not elected.
Awesome idea. Then when some Republicans get in power they can appoint for life good Christian Republicans who will show them gays what for.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Unfortunately, I expect that if she is jailed indefinitely on contempt charges, this will be a CHRISTIAN HORROR STORY OF OPPRESSION AND TERROR and she'll be held up as a martyr for her beliefs by those who call themselves "Christian" but don't actually follow Christ.
"What part of 'render unto Caesar' don't you understand, bitches" - Jesus
Old 08-14-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRobyn View Post
Some right-wingers will start a Go Fund Me to raise the money to pay her fines. Or some organization will write the check for her. There's no way she can lose because either she becomes a martyr for the cause by going to jail, or she won't have to pay any fines out of her own pocket and she'll still be a martyr for the cause and allow her contributors to feel good about themselves.

The only way she can possibly lose is if she's removed from office and barred from holding any other elected or civil service position.
No doubt. But the what I had in mind was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I'm thinking in terms of spin, here. "CAST INTO PRISON FOR HER BELIEFS!" makes for a better CBN headline than "FORCED TO START A GOFUNDME CAMPAIGN FOR HER BELIEFS!" A persecution narrative is inevitable; a fine rather than jail time makes it less impressive.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:14 PM

I heard/read somewhere that county clerks in Kentucky are elected.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:40 PM

How many SDMB posters live in Rowan County, KY?

Zero

How many SDMB posters have loved ones in Rowan County, KY?

Zero

How many SDMB posters even know where Rowan County, Kentucky IS?

Zero

And yet, the Mundane and Pointless RO is going in full force.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post

Zero

Zero

Zero

So ignoring the Constitution and the Supreme Court is OK?
Old 08-14-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
So ignoring the Constitution and the Supreme Court is OK?
Did I say that?
Old 08-14-2015, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Did I say that?
You obviously approve of her actions since you object to the publicity.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:

Zero

Zero

Zero

Wow. You just made....some point?
Old 08-15-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
You obviously approve of her actions since you object to the publicity.
No, I don't obviously, or otherwise, approve of anything of the sort.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Wow. You just made....some point?
What is the point of RO threads in the Pit?
Old 08-15-2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
What is the point of RO threads in the Pit?
To express outrage...
Old 08-15-2015, 03:20 AM
Charter Member

D'Anconia, I invite you to look up and peruse the posting history of one Carol Stream, a late, and not widely lamented former Doper who, like you in this instance, occasionally felt compelled to appoint herself as the arbiter of that which is worthy of the BBQ Pit treatment.

I make no representation that such behavior led to the fact of her being a former Doper; I bring her up simply as an illustration of someone who never did much of anything to make a visit to the board worthwhile.