Old 08-16-2015, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
What is wrong is five unelected judges in D.C. telling people in Rowan County, KY what to do.
Welcome to the United States. How recently did you move here? Which country were you living in previously? Perhaps you might start a thread so that you can learn all about the American system of government. Basically, we have three branches of government, only two of which are elected. One of the elected branches is the President of the United States while the second is the US Congress (which has two chambers).
Old 08-16-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
What is wrong is five unelected judges in D.C. telling people in Rowan County, KY what to do.
Just so you know, you're fucking stupid.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobohan View Post
Just so you know, you're fucking stupid.
What's funny is that D'Anconia posted this in the minimum wage thread.

Quote:
I can certainly understand why you only trot out the Supreme Court argument when it goes your way, and rage when it doesn't.

Last edited by running coach; 08-16-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Welcome to the United States. How recently did you move here? Which country were you living in previously? Perhaps you might start a thread so that you can learn all about the American system of government. Basically, we have three branches of government, only two of which are elected. One of the elected branches is the President of the United States while the second is the US Congress (which has two chambers).
Wow, you're so smart. Have you schooled your fellow travelers on this board who think that Citizens United is somehow invalid?
Old 08-16-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
So a clerk here can use the same argument regarding gun control, and refuse to issue weapons permits? Nice to know, thanks.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
So a clerk here can use the same argument regarding gun control, and refuse to issue weapons permits? Nice to know, thanks.
I don't follow the issues WRT gun laws very often, but aren't there jurisdictions that pretty much try to do that?
Old 08-16-2015, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wow, you're so smart. Have you schooled your fellow travelers on this board who think that Citizens United is somehow invalid?
Who here thinks Citizens United is "invalid"? I know of many people who disagree with the decision or feel that the grounds on which the decision was made aren't good, but I can't recall anyone saying the Supreme Court lacked the authority to adjudicate the matter.

The only person here who seems to be arguing that the Supreme Court is invalid is you.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Take immigration out of the picture. Can San Francisco offer Sanctuary to murderers and be in compliance with federal laws?
Well, murders is generally a state crimes, so it's not really an issue here.

Keep trying, though. I think you're on the verge of convincing people they shouldn't care about this county clerk.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I don't follow the issues WRT gun laws very often, but aren't there jurisdictions that pretty much try to do that?
Is that "okay?" (Jurisdictions violating court orders and refusing to issue weapons permits.)

It's okay for any civil official to refuse to perform his job, any time, for personal religious reasons, because "five unelected judges" have made a constitutional ruling?

What makes this different from, say, Obama refusing to deport illegal immigrants who have been residing in the U.S. since early childhood? It's a personal religious stance, and must be respected?

I hate to invoke the slippery slope...but...where do you draw the line? If constitutional law may be interpreted by individuals, how can there be a constitution?
Old 08-16-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Who here thinks Citizens United is "invalid"? I know of many people who disagree with the decision or feel that the grounds on which the decision was made aren't good, but I can't recall anyone saying the Supreme Court lacked the authority to adjudicate the matter.
A poster here says that the Supreme Court justices were "assholes" when they voted in Citizens, but suddenly, the same justices are A-OK when they vote the way he politically likes.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A poster here says that the Supreme Court justices were "assholes" when they voted in Citizens, but suddenly, the same justices are A-OK when they vote the way he politically likes.
Saying "The justices are assholes" is different than saying "The justices lack the authority to make this decision".
Old 08-16-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
What makes this different from, say, Obama refusing to deport illegal immigrants who have been residing in the U.S. since early childhood? It's a personal religious stance, and must be respected?
It's not OK when Obama violates the Constitution, as he did in Noel Canning,
but I haven't heard anyone on the left complaining about it, before or since.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's not OK when Obama violates the Constitution, as he did in Noel Canning,
but I haven't heard anyone on the left complaining about it, before or since.
Is anyone advocating that Obama should ignore the Canning decision and continue issuing recess appointments in violation of the ruling?
Old 08-16-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Is anyone advocating that Obama should ignore the Canning decision and continue issuing recess appointments in violation of the ruling?
Obama was a professor of Constitutional Law. Shouldn't he have known better? He lost 9-0, and his own appointees voted against him.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Obama was a professor of Constitutional Law. Shouldn't he have known better? He lost 9-0, and his own appointees voted against him.
How is that in any way relevant to gay marriage? The Court ruled against him and he is abiding by that decision, unlike Kim Davis.

Last edited by Smapti; 08-16-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
The Court ruled against him and he is abiding by that decision, unlike Kim Davis.
Obama broke the law, and he hoped that the Court wouldn't call him out on it. He is not some innocent bystander.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:18 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

But I'm not an Obama appointee, so why should I care about it?
Old 08-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Obama broke the law, and he hoped that the Court wouldn't call him out on it. He is not some innocent bystander.
And now that the court ruled against him, is it your opinion that he has the right to ignore the Court and continue doing what he wants anyway?

Because that's what Kim Davis is doing, and what you're supporting her in doing by asserting that "five unelected judges" can't tell people what to do.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:

How many SDMB posters have loved ones in Rowan County, KY?

Zero

How many SDMB posters even know where Rowan County, Kentucky IS?

Zero
Sorry... missed it by two.

Maybe not technically a loved one, but a very close family friend attends Morehead State.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
Sorry... missed it by two.

Maybe not technically a loved one, but a very close family friend attends Morehead State.
And this very close family friend happens to be gay, right? Oh, and wants to get married while still in college. Sure.

Last edited by D'Anconia; 08-16-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
And this very close family friend happens to be gay, right? Oh, and wants to get married while still in college. Sure.
Are you fucking kidding me... I really don't know if she is gay or not and it really doesn't matter. Actually I know that she in the past had a black boyfriend... should we hold that against her (she is white). And I married my wife on campus about a week after she graduated,... we've been married 28 years. What the hell does this have to do with anything?

You said nobody had a loved one in that county. I think of a "loved one" as someone related by blood or marriage. She is not, but I've known her since she was 8 and I would gladly give her one of my kidneys if she needed one, and I'm pretty sure she would do the same for me. Therefore you are wrong.

You said nobody knew where this county was... I do and I would guess many others do as well. Again you are wrong.

I do know that both she and I have gay friends and I don't think someone should be able to break the law because they don't agree with it.

You are just proving yourself to be a bigger and bigger asshole every time you post. Are you trying?
Old 08-16-2015, 09:04 PM

So your family friend isn't affected by the County Clerk, either. But you're OUTRAGED nonetheless. Got it.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
So your family friend isn't affected by the County Clerk, either. But you're OUTRAGED nonetheless. Got it.
Well, whether she wants to get opposite- or same-sex married, she would be affected by the County Clerk, since Ms. Davis isn't issuing any marriage licenses.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That kind of attitude has the potential to affect the rest of the county if others feel they can do as they please rather than the duties they swore to perform.

The clerk's attitude, to be clear.

Last edited by running coach; 08-16-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I don't know anyone that was beheaded in Syria either you giant sack of shit.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
You are just proving yourself to be a bigger and bigger asshole every time you post. Are you trying?
I think that's the only reason he posts. The board would be better off overall if he was ignored by everyone, so people stopped falling for the troll.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boytyperanma View Post
I think that's the only reason he posts. The board would be better off overall if he was ignored by everyone, so people stopped falling for the troll.
The shit would flow regardless.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Well, whether she wants to get opposite- or same-sex married, she would be affected by the County Clerk, since Ms. Davis isn't issuing any marriage licenses.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Does this change anything about the fact that you were totally wrong on two of your four statements?
Old 08-16-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Does this change anything about the fact that you were totally wrong on two of your four statements?
Yes, I acknowledged the correction in the post above yours.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, I acknowledged the correction in the post above yours.
Sorry, but "Thanks for the clarification" doesn't acknowledge the error.

I'm not an educator but a 50% I believe is an F which stands for Fail.

I did the math for you because I'm pretty sure you are no better at that than you are at human rights, compassion, or constitutional law.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How many SDMB posters live in Rowan County, KY?

Zero

How many SDMB posters have loved ones in Rowan County, KY?

Zero

How many SDMB posters even know where Rowan County, Kentucky IS?

Zero

And yet, the Mundane and Pointless RO is going in full force.
I live an hour and change away, have friends there, know dozens of people who went to school there, and have several close friends who have kids going to school there now. Is that enough of a connection that I'm allowed to care?

If it isn't, how about this: this nutjob makes the whole state of Kentucky, and especially in eastern Kentucky, look bad. A lot of us are trying really hard to drag this region into the 21st century, and this doesn't fucking help.

The clerk in my own county (who, in his sort-of defense, has been showing serious signs of dementia in recent months) gave a batshit interview in which his biggest complaint is that the new forms they have to use list "Spouse 1" and "Spouse 2" instead of "Bride" and "Groom", and he would want his granddaughter to be listed as a bride, dammit. He made it clear that he personally objected to the SCOTUS ruling but stopped short of saying he'd deny marriage licenses to SS couples. (It doesn't appear to have come up here yet; unlike Rowan Co., we don't have a university.)

I wish there were a good way to force Davis to do her job (or to somehow get her job done) without making her a martyr. My favorite detail of all of this, which I haven't actually seen confirmed but I have heard from local people, is that Davis is such a fan of "traditional marriage" that she's had four of them.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do you live in Rowan County, Kentucky? Are you personally affected in any way by the ruling, such as being a clerk who issues marriage licenses?

If not, why are you so upset by the ruling? It doesn't affect you in any way, so why the recreational outrage about what the Supreme Court did?
Old 08-16-2015, 11:30 PM

Maybe D'Anconia is still steamed about not being granted that marriage license to him and his sister/cousin/mother/aunt/hostage in his state.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Like the civil servants in San Francisco, Chicago and other places that are so-called sanctuary cities?
Do you live in San Francisco or Chicago? If not, "why bother getting outraged about things that you have no control over, and have nothing to do with you?"
Old 08-17-2015, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
If not, why are you so upset by the ruling? It doesn't affect you in any way, so why the recreational outrage about what the Supreme Court did?
I'm not upset about the ruling per se. We already had SSM in my state.

What is annoying are leftists who are inconsistent in their criticism of the SCOTUS. According to politicians like the President and the Democrat Minority Leader, Citizens United is a dire and ongoing threat to the nation. I don't think that's an exaggeration of Harry Reid's position, since he still inserts it into his floor speeches on a regular basis, more than five years after the ruling.

But suddenly the justices are geniuses when they uphold Obamacare and gay marriage.

By my reading of the cases in the upcoming Term, the left will be back to jeering the Court's decisions.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:45 AM

Quote:
. . . But suddenly the justices are geniuses when they uphold Obamacare and gay marriage. . . .
Cite, please? I know of no one who has said this.

Most of us believe this was the correct decision, but I defy you to find anyone who has called it "genius."

You're a strange and very dishonest form of toad. You can only argue by putting up fallacious opinions and attributing them to others. I'd like to dip the points of my arrows into your sweat.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:48 AM

What the decision upholding Obamacare comes down to is this: The will of the people, as expressed by their elected representatives, shouldn't be denied because a key part of a law was badly drafted. That law has a real impact on the lives of a nontrivial number of real people, and it shouldn't be destroyed by a capriciously literal reading which either second-guesses or ignores the intent of the people who created it and made it law.

In short, that decision preserved the will of the people in the face of a minor incompetence perpetrated by their representatives. Besides, if you can't accept a decision which doesn't rely on the strictest construction of all of the text available, Heller goes right out the window.

The majority holding in Obergefell is correct because being able to get married to another consenting adult of your choice is a basic human right. It should never have required a vote or a court case to begin with.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Are you a Kentuckian? A resident of Rowan County?
I'm an American. I'm free to travel to Rowan County, and to take up residence there if I wish.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What is annoying are leftists who are inconsistent in their criticism of the SCOTUS.
Do you think this is only true of leftists? Everyone is going to like some court decisions and dislike or disagree with others. Sometimes the disagreement is based on a interpretation of the facts and laws at issue and sometimes the disagreement is simply based on not liking the decision.

And this is true even of non-legal issues. Ever been to a sports game? People will agree or disagree with the umpire or the referee based on whether their team was ruled against.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
What is annoying are leftists who are inconsistent in their criticism of the SCOTUS. According to politicians like the President and the Democrat Minority Leader, Citizens United is a dire and ongoing threat to the nation. I don't think that's an exaggeration of Harry Reid's position, since he still inserts it into his floor speeches on a regular basis, more than five years after the ruling.

But suddenly the justices are geniuses when they uphold Obamacare and gay marriage.

By my reading of the cases in the upcoming Term, the left will be back to jeering the Court's decisions.
Mere criticism isn't the issue here. Of course people cheer decisions they like, and jeer decisions they don't like. But they recognize that those decisions are the law of the land, and act accordingly. If Kim Davis publicly said that she disagreed with the ruling, but still obeyed the law and issued licenses, who would care? The issue is that Davis is breaking the law. If Harry Reid was urging the FEC to ignore Citizens United and continue enforcing the section of the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act that was struck down, you'd have a point. But he isn't.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:59 AM

"Well, you don't live there" is one of the weakest defenses to a Pitting I can recall. I don't live in Japan, either, but I can still care about whaling. Nor do I live in Iraq, yet I am concerned about ISIS.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I missed this little gem.

I don't know personally any black men who were lynched... so I shouldn't be concerned. After all they were murdered in public before I was born.

I have met a woman who was in Auschwitz... but she wasn't gassed, so it's all good. Free housing and all.

Remember the hostage crisis in Iran way back when... I didn't know any of them... they must have had a fun adventure for a year or so.

Oh yeah... none of my family or friends were in the twin towers on 9/11... so who cares. They always need new real estate in NYC... and those planes were probably old and needed replacement anyway.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:03 AM

Out of curiosity, I just looked up the registrations for the two planes that were flown into the Twin Towers. The UAL 767 was built in 1983 and the AA 767 was built in 1987. Only about a quarter of each 767 variant are still in service, so they probably would have been retired by now.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Out of curiosity, I just looked up the registrations for the two planes that were flown into the Twin Towers. The UAL 767 was built in 1983 and the AA 767 was built in 1987. Only about a quarter of each 767 variant are still in service, so they probably would have been retired by now.
See... they did us a favor. No need for outrage over 9/11.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
What is annoying are leftists who are inconsistent in their criticism of the SCOTUS.

You have posted some incredibly stupid things in this thread, so this one may have been overlooked, like a small drop of dumbassedness in an ocean of stupidity, but it is perfectly valid to agree with a person, or group of persons, on one topic, but not on another. I cannot fathom how incredibly inane it is to believe that, unless you agree with EVERYTHING, someone does, you're "inconsistent" in your criticism.

Last edited by Hamlet; 08-17-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:35 AM

The desperation of D'Anconia's flailing is particularly rich in this thread. Must've hit the mother lode.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:36 AM

I see D'antonio is posting. I'm just gonna leave this here to watch the inevitable rage after the clerks are properly forced to issue the license or are fired/resign. Nothing will stop the gay agenda, nothing! Bwahahahahaha!
Old 08-17-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
When I posted, there were three RO threads by the same OP in the top ten on the BBQ Pit.
The OP gets very very butthurt over many many things.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
The OP gets very very butthurt over many many things.
I see what you did there.