What is the story of Hinhan Kaga, The Making of Owls (Harney Peak)

In South Dakota, in the Black Hills, the highest peak has been called Harny Peak.

There’s a movement afoot in South Dakota to rename Harney Peak, the highest point in the Black hills. It was named thusly by the geographic societies after US Cavalry officer William S. Harney. Harney was instrumental during the First Sioux War. He was responsible for the killing of Indian women and children during the [.

Naturally, the current residents of the area are not enthused about having their sacred peak named after such a fellow. South Dakota’s geographical society has recently recommended that the peak be renamed to its origian name, Hinhan Kaga, which means The Making of Owls.

A month later, the board reversed itself, saying that there was no public consensus about what the new name should be. In fact, there are competing traditions, with some saying the name should be, “He Winchinchala Sakowin Hocokata,” which means, “Center of the Seven Sisters Peaks”. I think we can agree that that name is going to be a non-starter.

The peak is also famous as the place where [url=Black Elk - Wikipedia]Black Elk](Battle of Ash Hollow - Wikipedia) received his mystic vision. Black Elk called the place “Okawita Paha.”

Here’s an article which discusses the controversy surrounding the attempt at renaming the peak.

Which is all well and good but what I really want to ask is this:
What the story of The Making of Owls?

I tried googling but got swamped by links about the current renaming dust up. Does anyone know the Lakota story? I’d love to hear it. What a killer title. How does one make an owl, I wonder?

When a mummy owl and a daddy owl love each other very much…

From here:

So it’s probably not about making owls, but there’s still going to be a back story to that, although maybe no one remembers what is was.

from here (pdf)