Unusual family traditions

When my older brother took first-semester Spanish in early 1964, he started a family tradition: We would ask a simple question in Spanish, and give the answer in English, such as “¿Dónde está the newspaper?” or “¿Qué hagas?” (Answer given in English), or even a mixture:
“¿Qué hora es?” (for the time).
“Son las five o’clock” (or whatever time it was).
We still do that to this day.
Any special family traditions out there?

We usually watch It’s A Mad Mad Mad Mad world over labor day weekend.

My ex-husband and I would watch a Three Stooges marathon every New Years Eve.

Soitenly! :smiley:

I always go to Boston with my dad and sister on Martin Luther King Day. We live in southern Maine, so it’s a fairly short trip. We don’t always do the same things every year once we get there, but we do always get dim sum in Chinatown.

What IS dim sum, anyway?:confused:

We celebrate half-birthday’s each year (when we remember) with half a cake.

We celebrate two Thanksgivings! With all the fixings!

Because we have a lot to be thankful for!

Well, my baby and I must, at formal Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, use the gravy boat shaped like a vomiting cat.

Our Christmas tree customs are nothing weird, although our ornaments are. Mine favor various art deco spacecraft and robots, and little crafted angels my mother made out of used shotgun shells when I was a baby and my parents were too poor to buy real ornaments.

Looking back on this, it occurs to me that you might well think I’m kidding. If I didn’t know better, I’d certainly assume I was kidding…

We put up an aluminum pole in the corner of the family room, then begin the Airing of Grievances. After that are the Feats of Strength.

Shame on you! Go wash those feats of strength and then put shoes on!

Festivus!

Wasn’t he Marshall Dillon ’ s deputy? :smiley:

No, he was the bald guy in Addams Family.

Lisa and I celebrate two anniversaries every year – the anniversary of the date we met and our wedding anniversary.

We also have a family tradition to bake hamantaschen (and for me to post the pictures on the SDMB) every year for Purim. Sadly, however, that tradition went by the wayside this year when my mother passed away about three weeks before Purim. No one was really up to baking this year.

On Rosh HaShannah, it is customary to eat foods that are symbolic of the hopes for the new year. In most cases, these foods have names that are plays-on-words of what we want to happen. For example, carrots, in Yiddish, is “meren” which is similar to the word meaning “to increase.” As you can imagine, most of these puns are in Yiddish or Hebrew. However, we adopted one in English. We eat lettuce, raisins and celery together in the hopes that God should let us [lettuce] have a raise in [raisin] our salary [celery] in the coming year. :slight_smile:

Zev Steinhardt

Zev, you could also say, “Do you carrot all for me?” :slight_smile: