Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 11-16-2015, 09:24 PM
psychobunny psychobunny is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 2,433
To my employee:
I didn't say anything when you decided it was OK to randomly take off for 15-20 minutes at a time to pump milk-I understand that you can't always plan the exact time.
I arranged to have another employee cover you although it meant she sometimes works into her lunch hour so I end up paying her overtime for the coverage. It also means she can't go out for lunch since she never knows when you might decide to pop off for awhile without notice and I need somebody working.
But where do you get off putting in your timesheet and indicating that you didn't have a lunch break and wanting to be paid overtime for working 9 hours straight??
You are taking at least an hour's worth of breaks daily and I will gratefully grant you the time you need but I am NOT paying you overtime wages to sit in a room and pump milk while everybody else covers for you. By all means, take the time you need but don't include it on timesheet as working hours.
  #102  
Old 11-17-2015, 12:29 AM
Senegoid Senegoid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 14,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
You are taking at least an hour's worth of breaks daily and I will gratefully grant you the time you need but I am NOT paying you overtime wages to sit in a room and pump milk while everybody else covers for you. By all means, take the time you need but don't include it on timesheet as working hours.
Strictly speaking, what is the law on that these days? Are employers expected or required to allow pumping-breaks, and are employers expected or required to allow the same on company time? Our culture, expectations, and laws are rapidly evolving on all kinds of issues like this, and it's hard to keep up.
  #103  
Old 11-17-2015, 02:19 AM
psychobunny psychobunny is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 2,433
Relevant law:

Quote:
Employers are not required under the FLSA to compensate nursing mothers for breaks taken for the purpose of expressing milk. However, where employers already provide compensated breaks, an employee who uses that break time to express milk must be compensated in the same way that other employees are compensated for break time. In addition, the FLSA’s general requirement that the employee must be completely relieved from duty or else the time must be compensated as work time applies.
Relevant State Law:

Quote:
Va. House Joint Resolution 145 (2002) encourages employers to recognize the benefits of breastfeeding and to provide unpaid break time and appropriate space for employees to breastfeed or express milk.
  #104  
Old 11-20-2015, 08:31 AM
Catamount Catamount is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: God's Waiting Room, NC
Posts: 9,671
They started playing Christmas music at my work today. Within two minutes we had our first complaint about playing Christmas music before Thanksgiving.

The music is still on.

If I make it until January without going on a Christmas-music inspired choking spree, it will be a true holiday miracle.
  #105  
Old 11-20-2015, 09:17 AM
StarvingButStrong StarvingButStrong is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,358
Poor Catamount! I truly feel for you.

Maybe you can get your doctor to say continual exposure to Christmas Carols for longer than two weeks is injurious to your mental health. Then you could get paid time off, or something.

Or at least have them buy you noise-canceling headphones.
  #106  
Old 11-20-2015, 10:35 AM
Kimballkid Kimballkid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,557
What if the noise-cancelling headphones like Christmas music?
  #107  
Old 11-20-2015, 01:46 PM
Rysto Rysto is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,915
Oh god help me, I have to sit through 3 hours of videos telling me not to discriminate based on race, colour, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, gender (including pregnancy status) or disability, and other riveting topics.
  #108  
Old 11-20-2015, 03:18 PM
digs digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 7,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
Oh god help me, I have to sit through 3 hours of videos telling me not to discriminate based on race, colour, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, gender (including pregnancy status) or disability, and other riveting topics.
In 25 years of teaching, I can't t tell you how many hour-long videos I've had to watch with overly thorough quizzes afterwards. But some new tech they're using means I figured out how to finally bypass the video and cut straight to the quiz. Been acing those using a little thing they never anticipated called Common Sense...

"In the video, a student 'George' revealed to the class that his family was relocated via the Trail Of Tears. Should the teacher 'Biff' have attempted to bond by mentioning that his family has always been Washington Redskins fans? A) Yes B) No C) Yes, with reservations D) All of the above E) One of the above"
  #109  
Old 11-20-2015, 04:07 PM
SeaDragonTattoo SeaDragonTattoo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago, Far Northsider
Posts: 7,810
Equipment problems at work. Why? Because no one has oiled the parts before each use, like I showed them. Now the parts are failing, to the tune of $540 to start, plus whatever service calls for in-house repairs plus wait time for repairs on parts that have to be sent out. Nice work, dipshits.
  #110  
Old 11-20-2015, 06:59 PM
Catamount Catamount is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: God's Waiting Room, NC
Posts: 9,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
Poor Catamount! I truly feel for you.

Maybe you can get your doctor to say continual exposure to Christmas Carols for longer than two weeks is injurious to your mental health. Then you could get paid time off, or something.

Or at least have them buy you noise-canceling headphones.
Me and my co-worker bitched about it all day until someone switched it to the instrumental Christmas station that's marginally tolerable. At least this way I don't have to listen to "Feliz Navidad."
  #111  
Old 11-20-2015, 09:29 PM
tarrel tarrel is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 137
My job decided to have a pollyanna and I don't like it
  #112  
Old 11-21-2015, 12:06 AM
The Vorlon The Vorlon is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sol III
Posts: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
Me and my co-worker bitched about it all day until someone switched it to the instrumental Christmas station that's marginally tolerable. At least this way I don't have to listen to "Feliz Navidad."

Feliz Navidad would be ok. Katy Perry sounding like she was sucking on a oxy tank gasping Xmas tunes? Kill Me Now.
  #113  
Old 11-21-2015, 02:24 AM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 36,824
I am having a language issue.

My current agency recently implemented a New! Shiny! Reporting tool. There were some issues setting me up with my usual email, nava @ myemail . com so I eventually provided a second one, myotheremail @ myemail . com and asked if they could use this other one. They said no.

Last week they emailed me saying "we have reset your account and sent the new link to this email". This went to the nava email so, idiot that I apparently am, I expected to get the email with the link in the nava email.

Nope. They sent it to the alternate email, the one they had previously deemed unacceptable, the one that was not "this email".

Am I wrong in thinking that if someone emails me at nava @ myemail . com and says "this email", it would be to be expected that they are talking about nava @ myemail . com? Would it count as cruelty to morons if I search for the Sesame Street episode where they explained Thiiiiiis and Thaaaaat and send them the link? I'm reasonably sure there has to be at least one show explaining that concept.



Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
"In the video, a student 'George' revealed to the class that his family was relocated via the Trail Of Tears. Should the teacher 'Biff' have attempted to bond by mentioning that his family has always been Washington Redskins fans? A) Yes B) No C) Yes, with reservations D) All of the above E) One of the above"
C, evidently!

Last edited by Nava; 11-21-2015 at 02:27 AM.
  #114  
Old 11-21-2015, 06:15 AM
Catamount Catamount is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: God's Waiting Room, NC
Posts: 9,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
Feliz Navidad would be ok.
I must shun you now.
  #115  
Old 11-21-2015, 09:38 AM
The Vorlon The Vorlon is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sol III
Posts: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
I must shun you now.
Once a day? Ok.

Twice a hour? Ready the Wave Motion Gun...
  #116  
Old 11-21-2015, 10:03 AM
Flutterby Flutterby is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Penumbra
Posts: 6,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
Me and my co-worker bitched about it all day until someone switched it to the instrumental Christmas station that's marginally tolerable. At least this way I don't have to listen to "Feliz Navidad."
I have a collection of interesting Christmas music from the time I worked retail. Lots of parodies, punk collections, Solstice collections. Stuff you wouldn't usually hear in the store.

We had two tapes, with about 10 songs each. We often 'forgot' to flip them..
__________________
Can you please show us on the doll where the bad Deity touched you? -stpauler

For the Black Death Click Here
  #117  
Old 11-21-2015, 10:16 AM
monstro monstro is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 19,025
Coworker:

Can you wait until I at least take my coat off before bombarding me with questions in the morning? You know how you get in extra early so you don't have to deal with folks before your caffeine kicks in? Well, I wish you'd extend me the same courtesy. Your questions are not that urgent that they can't wait ten minutes.

By the way, your questions are the kind of stuff you could just shoot me in an email. Email is great because you're not putting me on the damn spot. I can think about what I say before I say it. Also, a big advantage of email is that you have my responses in writing. You wouldn't have to keep asking me the SAME FUCKING QUESTION because you keep forgetting what I said.

I would tell you this but I don't think you can handle negative feedback. Why do I say this? Because even though you're old enough to be my mother, every time you come into my office, your face is all twisted up like you're terrified to talk to me. I can only guess it's because you sense I'm irritated. But I swear I wouldn't be if you'd just wait ten minutes or so for me to get settled at my desk. Every time I hear you knock on my door before I've had a chance to put down my bag, I have to force myself not to scream "GO AWAY!" I hate feeling so pissed off in the morning.
  #118  
Old 11-21-2015, 04:21 PM
Filbert Filbert is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,846
Boss? If I ask to not be scheduled on Monday after 7pm when possible, because I go to a club on Monday evenings, I assumed that you'd, I dunno, get the idea that I want to not just be off, but awake on Monday evenings.

Telling me that's fine, not a problem at all, then scheduling me in for a freaking 5 am shift Monday and Tuesday three weeks in a row isn't actually what I had in mind...
  #119  
Old 11-21-2015, 05:03 PM
kaylasdad99 kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 28,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
Coworker:

Can you wait until I at least take my coat off before bombarding me with questions in the morning? You know how you get in extra early so you don't have to deal with folks before your caffeine kicks in? Well, I wish you'd extend me the same courtesy. Your questions are not that urgent that they can't wait ten minutes.

By the way, your questions are the kind of stuff you could just shoot me in an email. Email is great because you're not putting me on the damn spot. I can think about what I say before I say it. Also, a big advantage of email is that you have my responses in writing. You wouldn't have to keep asking me the SAME FUCKING QUESTION because you keep forgetting what I said.

I would tell you this but I don't think you can handle negative feedback. Why do I say this? Because even though you're old enough to be my mother, every time you come into my office, your face is all twisted up like you're terrified to talk to me. I can only guess it's because you sense I'm irritated. But I swear I wouldn't be if you'd just wait ten minutes or so for me to get settled at my desk. Every time I hear you knock on my door before I've had a chance to put down my bag, I have to force myself not to scream "GO AWAY!" I hate feeling so pissed off in the morning.
Send HER an email every morning; one that will take her ten minutes to get through. As soon as you arrive, ask her to deal with it before she bugs you for anything.
  #120  
Old 11-21-2015, 11:53 PM
elfkin477 elfkin477 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NH
Posts: 21,836
I'm trying not to quit my job.

A couple of weeks ago was my 4th anniversary working here, and in that time we've tripled our number of contracts. Like cancer, the center keeps growing uncontrollably because the director enjoys setting up new programs without regard to how much work that creates. Well, she probably likes the money too; I know our specific annual budget now rivals the whole institute we're part of's general operating budget.

The insanity of trying to juggle everything just gets worse with each new program. This all got too much for my boss, my favorite boss ever, and she quit without warning in July, and left the first week of August. Being pretty self-sufficient, I had only minimal supervision from my grandboss while they looked for a replacement. In October her replacement finally started. I read all sorts of people talking about how their favorite boss left and their next boss was their next favorite boss. Lucky bastards.

I cannot stand my new boss. For the first several weeks she kept asking endless repetitive questions, since my grandboss isn't interested in supervising her either, it has basically fallen to one coworker and I to teach her how to do her job. And because she constantly interrupted us, neither of us could get our actual work done. There have been days where I've literally tried to find things to do out around her dozens of e-mails and IM'ng me every 30 minutes. I wish this was her only fault, but she's constantly condescending and dismissive people's opinions, which is super awesome since she still has no idea what the hell we do.

If it was just he being a pain in the ass I could probably deal, but the fact that we keep adding program after program means that the workload keeps increasing, and no one gets hired. We have a large budget but the director expects the same people to just keep spreading themselves thinner and thinner.

New boss is not helping, and when she complained on TH that I hadn't managed to do the 101th thing that shouldn't even be my responsibility for her, I told her that with a new website (on drupal which I'm still learning how to work with - and she keeps scheduling meetings when I've put time aside to work on it, then bitches I haven't spent enough time on it!) and launch of a big online course both happening on November 30th there isn't enough time to get everything done. I also told her that I have serious concerns about not knowing enough about drupal yet to begin managing it on 12-1 because people keep dropping other things in my lap. She said she understood...

...and then yesterday asked my "opinion" about whether we could fulfill a new program's request to create a course just for them before Thanksgiving is realistic. I said no, of course, and that the 10th or 11th is more realistic. Her response was to suggest we meet to determine a better timeline. Look, you twit, of the four people you want to meet, I'm the only one who can actually build the course out, do you think you think meeting is going to magically make more time in the work week?? Why the hell did she bother asking my thoughts when she was going to ignore what I suggested as a realistic projection?

Since they have no apparent interest in hiring anyone, and they just keep adding things, there is no end in sight of having way more work to do than time to do it, which is horrible - I am so sick of feeling like I'm getting nothing accomplished and that I don't have time to give everything the attention it deserves. And idiot boss will be going on maternity leave in early December, and of course they expect that coworker and I to cover for her rather than hiring a temp, so it's only going to get worse on that front even if we don't have to deal with her constant questions for 12 weeks.

So... I'm sorry this is longish, but I'm really trying to find reasons not to say fuck it and quit, or give an ultimatum that they ever hire someone to do part of my job (and other worked to death coworker's job) or they can hire someone to do all of mine. I haven't bought a new house yet, and I've got over a year's worth of take home pay in the bank so it's really tempting to tell them to go fuck themselves and let them try to find someone else who can do all the things I do for them from being the LMS admin for the courses and editing lecture videos and all the other stuff that other people refuse to learn how to do. Even if I left without finding a new job first, I'm positive I'd find a new job faster than they could fill mine.

We are required to take the last several days of December and the first few of January off, and I'm tempted to begin looking for a new job. This sucks because I used to like this job, and might again if they'd just hire a few people. (and, you know, if new boss says screw it and stays how with the new baby permanently). Sigh.
  #121  
Old 11-22-2015, 12:34 AM
DrDeth DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 34,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post

We are required to take the last several days of December and the first few of January off, and I'm tempted to begin looking for a new job. This sucks because I used to like this job, and might again if they'd just hire a few people. (and, you know, if new boss says screw it and stays how with the new baby permanently). Sigh.
Do it now. Update your resume, get a Pro to redo it. Work LinkedIn like mad, get recs fro this job )contact your last boss, etc). Post new resume on Monster, etc.

Wait for offers to come in.
  #122  
Old 11-22-2015, 12:59 AM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 36,824
What is the point of a huge budget if it can't be used for what is actually needed, which in this case includes "more bodies"?

I wish you the best of luck in your search. Quit once you have the new job.

Last edited by Nava; 11-22-2015 at 01:00 AM.
  #123  
Old 11-22-2015, 08:48 AM
MagicEyes MagicEyes is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: A College Town
Posts: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
This sucks because I used to like this job, and might again if they'd just hire a few people. (and, you know, if new boss says screw it and stays how with the new baby permanently). Sigh.
Sorry, she probably won't. I was really hoping my Annoying Coworker would decide to stay home with her new baby, but she came back.

My prediction: When you quit, they will need to hire three people to replace you.

My supervisor does the same thing--she wants to do all kinds of new things, but she never thinks about how much time it will take to keep doing them on a regular basis. Then she's unhappy when I can't get it all done, but the only way to get it all done would be to work overtime, which I can't do right now for personal reasons. It's a no-win situation when you have a boss who is not willing to talk to you about your workload and priorities and how much is really reasonable to do in one day. I get the feeling you're like me, and you can get a lot done in one day, so that makes it extra-unreasonable for your boss to keep adding more and more to your workload. You can cram a lot in, but there's a point where you just can't keep adding more tasks and still get it all done. Good luck with the job hunt. I hope you find something where you're appreciated more.
  #124  
Old 11-23-2015, 09:35 AM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 36,824
One of the top managers in this project
1) does not understand the nature of the project/product at all. In a field that's very much "who dares wins", his basic outlook is backwards.
2) does not believe people are working unless we are where he can see us, despite evidence to the contrary,
3) "corrects" the definitions of people who actually know the subject matter better than he does. You know, the kind of guy that you tell him "+ is the symbol for addition" and he tells you no, it's actually the symbol for multiplication.
4) and does not have an indoors voice. Dude, you're having a phone conversation in the next room. The two doors are closed. Why can we hear every single word you say?
  #125  
Old 11-23-2015, 10:08 AM
Chimera Chimera is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 21,638
Well, it could be better or worse.

My jackass boss was forced to retire last month for medical reasons. We got moved over to another manager temporarily. She apparently has decided the best course of action is to completely ignore our existence.

Which is ok, we're used to it, we were pretty much on our own pre-jackass too. But you know, when I miss a week's pay because it didn't get completed and approved in time and I don't exist, so I didn't get any kind of warning/reminder that it I needed to go back in and do something, followed by her approving it....
  #126  
Old 11-23-2015, 09:08 PM
Avarie537 Avarie537 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of SuperBowl XLVI
Posts: 3,695
Aw, widdle miss pwincess had her pwecious cheese stick thrown away!

I work at a vet clinic and we have a VERY small fridge. We don't have a ton of employees, but enough that our little dorm fridge was often full to bursting. A second little dorm fridge was installed in another room. When I started working there, no real rules for keeping stuff in the fridges existed, so I introduced the ones that were in place at my last employer: all items must be labeled with your name or initials and a date. Anything left in the fridge for more than a week is liable to be thrown out. Anything not labeled is fair game to be consumed by anyone.

The main fridge was getting pretty full last week, so I texted everyone who has stuff in there and posted a notice about a pending fridge clean out in the main treatment room on Thursday. Saturday afternoon, after I finished clearing out the main fridge, the DVM (and owner) told me to clear out the second fridge. NOTHING in there was labeled, so anything perishable was tossed. Everything packaged was fair game, so it was divvied up amongst those who wanted it and taken home.

This morning, Pwecious Pwincess tried to get snarky with me because I threw out her cheese stick. "This is fucking bullshit! That's the dumbest policy I've ever heard of. No other place has a rule like that and it's just not right. blahblahblah yacketyshmakety Don't ever throw my stuff away again!" I told her that I was just following the boss's orders and that if she had a problem, she should take it up with him. "You bet I will! This is just bullshit! Maybe I should go work somewhere else that doesn't have such stupid rules about the fridge." (The office manager said she was welcome to do so.)

But the doctor shut her down. "There is a policy that has been in place for months. I saw the notice. You had plenty of time to take your stuff out of there."

HAH! She thinks she's such hot shit because she's worked there longer than almost anyone, except the DVM's right hand gal (she's worked for him for 10+) years. Soooooooooo nice to see her not get away with throwing a tantrum over a goddamned cheese stick.

PS I had brought a cheese stick of my own from home today and made sure she saw me eat it.

Last edited by Avarie537; 11-23-2015 at 09:10 PM.
  #127  
Old 11-24-2015, 10:23 AM
TheFaerie TheFaerie is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Just on the Other Side
Posts: 1,023
Why are engineers always surprised when I ask simple questions like: "Where are the native files?" "What date/description/initials doe you want in the revision block?" "When is this due?" "Who are you?"
  #128  
Old 11-24-2015, 10:40 AM
Chimera Chimera is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 21,638
Goddamnitsomuch.

The woman over the cube wall from me has THE MOST OFFENSIVE BREATH and that deathly smell is permeating the entire area.

She's been here like 2 weeks and we've never been introduced, so I don't want our first encounter to be me telling her to brush her teeth or something.

But DAMN!
  #129  
Old 11-24-2015, 12:08 PM
kaylasdad99 kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 28,109
Pass along a note to the office manager (or whoever she reports to).
  #130  
Old 11-24-2015, 03:27 PM
Chimera Chimera is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 21,638
Goddamn I hate this too:

Me: (departmentname) this is Chimera.
Phone: Silence
Me: (pause) Hello?
Phone: Silence
Me: (starting to remove headset to hang up)
Phone: (very very quietly) Hello?
Me: Yes?
Phone: Um, Hello? Hello?
Me: (clear throat) Yes?
Phone: Oh, um, hi. (long pause)

FUCK YOU BITCH. Learn how to use a goddamned phone.
  #131  
Old 11-24-2015, 03:44 PM
2gigch1 2gigch1 is offline
ReMember
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 2,302
So this is a pretty common work complaint - lack of information being passed on - and how it affected my particular job today.

I was asked to start my shift an hour early to video Virginia's governor during his monthly Ask the Governor hour long show at a major news radio station in DC (everyone familiar with DC knows which one). I hadn't done it before, so I was a half hour early to set up and be fully prepared to do my job.

At 10am he rolled in and we began. At 11am, when it wrapped up, suddenly I see a reporter from my station and she's beckoning me to come with her to do a post interview where a bunch of other crews have gathered to get the governor in the lobby.

Had I been given even 5 minutes warning that a reporter would be there I could have prepped for it and not looked like a bumbling ass in front of competitors and the governor. Instead, caught off guard, I wasn't in "interview mode" and had to scramble to reset while everyone waited.

The job of keeping me informed falls to the assignment desk. No-one there told me the reporter was coming. I had even checked in at 9:35am and not a word was spoken, even though apparently the decision had been made by then.

I have a caustic email written to all the necessary parties but I'm just sitting on it. I'm pretty sure the primary party involved is actually being let go soon (for a build up of similar and other reasons), so how much good my tantrum will do is unknown. I spoke with some others involved and quietly expressed my dissatisfaction. They listened.

Anyway, thanks for the vent.
  #132  
Old 11-24-2015, 05:01 PM
DrDeth DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 34,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Goddamn I hate this too:

Me: (departmentname) this is Chimera.
Phone: Silence
Me: (pause) Hello?
Phone: Silence
Me: (starting to remove headset to hang up)
Phone: (very very quietly) Hello?
Me: Yes?
Phone: Um, Hello? Hello?
Me: (clear throat) Yes?
Phone: Oh, um, hi. (long pause)

FUCK YOU BITCH. Learn how to use a goddamned phone.

Telemarketers.
  #133  
Old 11-24-2015, 05:04 PM
Chimera Chimera is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 21,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Telemarketers.
No, it's a woman in another department who has apparently never figured out simple telephone etiquette.
  #134  
Old 11-24-2015, 06:41 PM
j666 j666 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Away for a while
Posts: 6,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
No, it's a woman in another department who has apparently never figured out simple telephone etiquette.
I used to work with a person who made a point of continuing a conversation (in person) with someone else after the person he called answered.
  #135  
Old 11-24-2015, 07:03 PM
Jeep's Phoenix Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,180
Avarie537, you can tell widdle miss pwincess that at least one other workplace has a fridge policy! Sadly, it's not enforced often enough, and when someone takes it upon themselves to do a clean-up, they'll rely on the sniff test to determine if an undated item is OK or not. This once resulted in one of the managers pitching a fit via company-wide email because the homemade onion dressing he brought in one morning was thrown in the trash before lunch because someone thought it had spoiled.
  #136  
Old 11-24-2015, 08:16 PM
Seanette Seanette is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,455
My current irkplace cleans out the fridges every week (we have two in the one breakroom, and we do use that space, with over 100 employees).

Last edited by Seanette; 11-24-2015 at 08:17 PM.
  #137  
Old 11-24-2015, 08:21 PM
SeaDragonTattoo SeaDragonTattoo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago, Far Northsider
Posts: 7,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
Avarie537, you can tell widdle miss pwincess that at least one other workplace has a fridge policy! Sadly, it's not enforced often enough, and when someone takes it upon themselves to do a clean-up, they'll rely on the sniff test to determine if an undated item is OK or not. This once resulted in one of the managers pitching a fit via company-wide email because the homemade onion dressing he brought in one morning was thrown in the trash before lunch because someone thought it had spoiled.
Make it four. I work for two veterinary facilities and they both have a written policy posted on the fridges, and there's no mercy on clean out days!
  #138  
Old 11-24-2015, 10:20 PM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 36,824
Most places I've been in had some sort of fridge policy. The laxer ones tend to be enforced least. Samples:

NO food in the lab fridges.
We mean it damnit.
We find food in the lab fridges, it won't only be the food that gets tossed out.

Fridge will be emptied at 5pm on the clock. It's the second thing the cleaning lady does. The first one is remove her coat.

And all sorts of variations on "fridge will be emptied every Friday afternoon".

Last edited by Nava; 11-24-2015 at 10:21 PM.
  #139  
Old 11-24-2015, 10:35 PM
dropzone dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,043
In order to avoid my MIL and SILs and BILs and nieces and nephews at a couple of family functions this weekend, including Thanksgiving dinner, and because I need the money, I volunteered to work through half the long weekend. It will be helping good American consumers up their credit limits after they max out their cards. First, I hate consumers. Second, I hate the holiday consumerism they all "need" to be involved in. Third, I would rather not encourage them to dig themselves deeper into debt. On the other hand, my in-laws are all drinkers I used to drink with, and after what passed for training today I really need a drink.

The manager showed screen shots of only half of the screens and is giving the class several days to forget what we learned before we are sat in front of new workstations and the phones are turned on. It seems fairly complex, though I can't be sure, and I pity the first few people who get me because I have only the vaguest idea of what to do. In fifty years of working I have never felt this unprepared, and I've been a hired gun as a temp--taught myself enough AutoCAD to be productive in an unfamiliar industry by reading the manual the night before, FFS.

Well, the pay is so lousy that at least they'll get their money out of me. May need to do Christmas with the family, though.
  #140  
Old 11-25-2015, 12:22 AM
kaylasdad99 kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 28,109
That sucks, dropzone. Is there any chance you could persuade the manager to run the training module for you again, a little closer to start date, so you've at least got part of a handle on the half he did show you?
  #141  
Old 11-27-2015, 01:36 PM
Eureka Eureka is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,331
Boss, I get that most of our "Night People" are young people who probably ran away home this holiday weekend. But it's hard to get things back on an even keel when you keep moving people's schedules around, always in the direction of "come in early". We need a few Night or at least Afternoon people to run around finding toys and things for people.

Also, I'm not exactly enthused about coming in at 5 am tomorrow. Although it does make sense . . .

(Retail. Store is more Grocery than than type of Store that really has Blow-Out Black Friday Sales. But, we've got enough things on Black Friday sale prices, that yes, someone needs to come in and take down the signs, and hang the price tags for the remaining 4 day ad. Still, not enthused).

On the plus side, Boss agreed with me that I didn't need to hang tags that are only good till tomorrow, as long as there was a sign nearby that listed the Black Friday Price.
  #142  
Old 11-28-2015, 04:43 PM
Eureka Eureka is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,331
Dear Co-worker:

You are seriously part-time (often work ten hours a week).

I am full-time.

This has been a more or less typical holiday week-- not enough employees, too many customers, some balls got dropped.

I do NOT NEED you to explain which balls got dropped (with occasional "it's not your fault because they have you juggling all these other balls").

You do your work, I'll do mine.

[note to peanut gallery-- yes, part-time people can have information full timers don't, especially if they were in the right place at the right time. In this case, though, . . . honestly, co-worker has a bad case of liking to hear himself talk, mixed with a desire to be more vital to the function of the store/department than would be good for us given how few hours he's actually available. And my temper is short today, because I had to be there early, because of Black Friday related price changes.]
  #143  
Old 11-30-2015, 08:44 AM
kiz kiz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,492
I've got a brand spankin' new trainee this week. TPTB expect her to be halfway up to speed when they set said trainee solo next week. This is an impossibility given that 1) trainee has never done this type of work before, and 2) comparing her to me with 25+ years' experience is extremely unfair IMO. I told trainee re #2 that I'm not expecting miracles because it's all new, and yes, I thank god you're a quick learner compared to others I've trained, but that doesn't mean you're the new savior.

My manager and assistant have taken a hands-off approach other than to ask trainee how everything's going. On the one hand it says a lot about their trust in me. OTOH it also says a lot about passing off tasks neither of them want to do.

Last edited by kiz; 11-30-2015 at 08:45 AM.
  #144  
Old 12-01-2015, 10:19 AM
Filbert Filbert is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,846
The store I'm working in has been getting several trainee managers and assistant for different branches lately, just for a few weeks, presumably so their future staff don't get to see them messing up simple stuff while they're learning. Fair enough, except.. they keep sending idiots.

The guy at the moment appears to think the sun shines out of his arse, while utterly failing to show even basic common sense. A sensible answer to "Hey, can I just get *thing needed to serve customer, that you're standing right in front of, blocking access while ignoring said customer*?" Is not a cheery "Oh, you get what you like!" While not moving.

Common sense would indicate that if "Bob" is in charge of me and you, you don't get to tell me to stop doing what "Bob" asked me to do, and do what he asked you to do instead. Especially when "Bob" is standing right freaking there looking at you like you're an idiot.

Oh, and this conversation, with me, a virtual stranger? Just.. No.
"You have a housemate *baffled look*, what, are you a student or something?!"

"Uh, no? It's really common round here to share, it's so expensive. Though actually, technically, he's my landlord, he owns the house"

"Oh. So are you sleeping with him then?"

What. The. Fuck.

I'm glad he fucks off to annoy and offend another branch soon. Poor sods working there though.
  #145  
Old 12-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Avarie537 Avarie537 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of SuperBowl XLVI
Posts: 3,695
I work at a veterinary clinic and we recently hired two new people. The new receptionist and office manager (who has been there 2+ years) were discussing the schedule. We have VERY strict policies involving overtime - basically, you are supposed to watch your hours so you don't get any. However, the person who makes the schedule put the new receptionist on for more than 40 hours in one week. In discussing this issue, the Office Manager comes out with this gem: "Oh, well it's your responsibility to watch your hours and make sure you don't go over." I gave her my best WTF face and said "How does that make sense? Why not make it the responsibility of the schedule maker to, you know, NOT scheduled people for OT??" She didn't like that very much. Now we are getting a reminder memo about how OT isn't "acceptable" unless approved by the DVM.
  #146  
Old 12-01-2015, 02:04 PM
JcWoman JcWoman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
is giving the class several days to forget what we learned before we are sat in front of new workstations and the phones are turned on.
Been there. I've been on major projects installing new computer systems for external companies where we performed "train the trainer" about 6 months before they got to use said new system. For those who may not be familiar with this concept, train the trainer means that we'll train a laughable tiny fraction of your staff and then they can then train the rest of your staff. It's a lovely concept that blithely ignores the fact that your "trainer" students are rarely experienced trainers, so if they do manage to pass on any information it's close to a miracle. And then the 6 month lead time allows people plenty of time to forget that little bit of knowledge they were able to glean.

My workplace rant is this:

I've noticed a trend in the last decade of my career: I start a job with all the enthusiasm of a new hire, and then around the 2-year mark I have learned enough about the company to fully understand why it's so screwed up. Case in point, the current gig. Although we do software development, we don't have any understanding of project management. Well, actually, our IT department does have some process and organization. They're fine.

But the product development team that I work on - all business analysts and other business folks, haven't a clue. We write a lot of documentation, from designs to software requirements to end user documentation. But because there's no concept of project management, our projects are very loosey goosey. There's no ownership of tasks let alone a whole project. Bob tells Sally it's her job to do $task. Sally disagrees, and whoever loses the argument gets to do $task. Sometimes Bob and Sally each think $task is theirs and then they fight over it. Sometimes Bob and Sally disagree strongly on what the best design is, but there's no owner to call the shots. In this case, they take it to each of their managers and then THEY argue. Eventually consensus might be reached, but if not then the project languishes. Projects start because upper management promises our external customers something, and then they toss it into the air and assume that it will get done.

When I suggested a little project management might be helpful I heard "we don't need nuna that, wut you need that fer, herp derp?"

Last edited by JcWoman; 12-01-2015 at 02:07 PM.
  #147  
Old 12-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Kelevra Kelevra is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 436
I work in a small office. We have 1 real conference room. We have had an electronic sign-out system for it for probably the last 8-10 years.

Two weeks ago I was getting ready to do a webinar in our conference room when my boss rushed in and said "I have a meeting starting in a 1/2 hour and forgot to sign out the conference room!" I replied that I had a webinar in 15 minutes and I didn't forget to sign out the conference room. He rushed out the door and made some other arrangement.

Yesterday he mentioned to me that he has a meeting at 2:00 today with a bunch of people coming in. I didn't tell him that I already had the conference room booked for a meeting at that time. I figure I'll let him run in and freak out again.

Eventually he'll learn won't he?
  #148  
Old 12-02-2015, 11:55 AM
FairyChatMom FairyChatMom is online now
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Merrylande
Posts: 37,921
I've been on this job since mid-Sept, and it was closing in on late Oct before I got computer access and the necessary training. But it's engineering drafting. I was an engineer for 26 years, plus I've had 2 temp jobs as a drafter since retiring, so I'm pretty good at making pretty pictures. And I work fast - it's just the way I am.

I've lost count of the number of times I've gone to the boss asking for work because I was out of things to do. Most recently, last week, I told him I needed work. Nothing. Then a few things that needed to be revised came back, so I was partly busy again. Yesterday, I told him again and a couple of hours later, he gave me a list of drawings to do. I had them all finished by early this morning, but he was at a meeting, so I left him a note asking for more to do. Still waiting - I'm posting this during my lunch break.

I can't just sit. I took this job because I want to work. I don't appreciate waking before 5 and getting to the office before 6 just to twiddle my thumbs. Today especially, I could have used the extra sleep.

When I was in training, I heard some of the engineers complaining about the drafting backlog, so I figured I'd be busy. Yeah, right. I've pretty much decided to get my resume out there again. I've heard tell of one place that has a backlog and just lost a drafter - if they can match what I'm paid here, I'll probably jump ship.
  #149  
Old 12-02-2015, 01:42 PM
TheFaerie TheFaerie is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Just on the Other Side
Posts: 1,023
FCM, I'm in that situation right now, and it's not likely to get much busier with the O&G business slowing down so much. But I'm not going to jump ship, the pay and benefits are too good. So I'll sit here and get paid to read TheDope.
  #150  
Old 12-02-2015, 04:02 PM
Morgyn Morgyn is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 4,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
<snip>

Yesterday he mentioned to me that he has a meeting at 2:00 today with a bunch of people coming in. I didn't tell him that I already had the conference room booked for a meeting at that time. I figure I'll let him run in and freak out again.

Eventually he'll learn won't he?
So, what happened?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017