Old 12-04-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcWoman View Post
The customer was inquiring about our method for identifying which century the date is in, using their scheme as an example. (YY values less than 80 have 19 pre-pended to them, otherwise they have 20 prepended to them.)
Uh, isn't that backward?

Another strategy would be to guess at a reasonable year-range based on the context. Birth years or other historical dates would have to be in the past. Expiration dates (e.g., driver licenses, credit cards, contracts, etc.) tend to be in the near future, or perhaps in the near past. For various other kinds of date fields, you might be able to make context-sensitive guesses too.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcWoman View Post
The reason this blew my mind so badly was because I was one of the famous Cobol programmers who spent 1999 through 2001 fixing stupid shit like this.
Hang on to your resume! COBOL programmers will be very much in demand again in the year 9999!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:46 AM

I'm attending a webinar this afternoon. The host just sent out an informational pdf with links to "information that you might find useful for this discussion." There are 68 links. Fuck that. I'm not even going to bother reading the titles of all those!
Old 12-05-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Hang on to your resume! COBOL programmers will be very much in demand again in the year 9999!
They are much in demand right now!

Many of them are at retirement age, and a huge amount of the worlds' systems are still running on COBOL mainframe systems, which need to be maintained.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bonham@scc.net View Post
They are much in demand right now!

Many of them are at retirement age, and a huge amount of the worlds' systems are still running on COBOL mainframe systems, which need to be maintained.
I'd think, "Gee, I should brush up on the COBOL (that I studied but never worked in), because I could do with a job for the next 10-15 years." Except I've seen the hours programmers work and I'm just too old for that shit.

Last edited by Morgyn; 12-05-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
The same kind of asshole who schedules one for 8am Monday morning.
I think they're related to the genius who chose corporate fonts where O and 0 look the same, in a company using SAP. For those not familiar with the Big Blue Database, people who use it tend to speak in terms of "screen codes", which in turn tend to be things such as CO01, COOIS... and then you reports or programs with names such as PPIOA000 or ZPP0010_AO001. We don't need to be able to distinguish letters and numbers, no sir.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:27 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

The head of tech support here sure has some odd notions about technology. Refuses to let anyone work from home more than two days per week; the reason has something to do with supposedly being better able to track productivity for those in cubicles, IIRC. Everyone else can telework all seven days and even weekends but anyone under the CIO's umbrella? Only two for you! Unless the weather's so bad that unscheduled telework is authorized.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 12-07-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:56 PM

Because A/P and Purchasing can't communicate, I get the crabby late notices on invoices that I have already filled out a fucking purchase request for. And I get a snotty email from the A/P person telling me that I sent it to the wrong email. Well, that's the email Purchasing gave me. It would be a Festivus miracle if there were one protocol and that protocol was communicated. I don't like to play "how is this done today?" Fuckthemall.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:21 AM

Not so much a workplace rant as a job-seeking rant. Over the last year or so, I've been half-assedly sending my resume in for suitable law-firm jobs I see on Craigslist. Last Saturday I missed a phone call from a guy regarding the most recent job I'd applied for. Well, on weekends I'm busy with volunteer work and other stuff, so I called him back on Monday morning, and left a message. On Tuesday evening, I miss a call again (hey, I'm an old fart, not one of these young'uns glued to their phone 24/7). Wednesday morning, I call and leave another message. Friday evening, there's a missed call from his number, but no voicemail.

Dude, if you're serious, and this is a real job, please understand that I can't take you seriously if you are only able to call me during non working hours! I understand that people get busy, but the Craigslist ad made it sound like a real law firm, not a one-man show. Also, there's this thing called e-mail, which is great for communicating between busy people, if you're too swamped to call during normal business hours. I'm also a bit suspicious because I can't find any attorney on the state. bar website with any spelling variation of what sounded like his last name, except one who had been disbarred over a decade ago, in another part of the state.

TLDR, sometimes Cragslist job ads are sketchy and people are flaky.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:07 AM
Charter Member

So, what? The job ads should differ from the rest of the ads?