Billionaire with no movie experience wants movie to be made, how likely?

Suppose that a billionaire with a love of cinema but no movie making experience walked into a big-name studio with a script and checkbook in hand.

He says, “I’ve always wanted my script to be made into a blockbuster movie. Here’s $300 million for the budget. I only want a fraction of the profits and box office revenue; the rest is yours. Also, I’ll try to avoid meddling as much as possible, but I retain final veto power over casting, story, editing decisions, etc.”
How would the studio respond?

Depends how quickly they can verify his wealth and then say yes.

I can’t see why a studio won’t take up the offer. Even if the script sucks, they can easily budget things to make a profit even if the film isn’t released. Any additional money is gravy.

Look up Megan Ellison daughter of Larry (Oracle) Ellison.

Short answer: Yes. Long answer: Hell yes.

George Harrison did something similar to what the OP describes. When funding fell through for Monty Python’s “Life Of Brian”, Harrison stepped in and footed the bill.

From the Wikipedia article:

I would imagine the billionaire would prevent this - i.e., the studio can’t spend just $60 million on the movie and pocket the remaining $240 million. He could demand rigorous accounting and auditing and also insist all $300 million be spent productively.

Howard Hughes in the mid-20s.

There have been a number of Christian-themed movies over the years, that I got the impression were financed this way. Mel Gibson? Roma Downey? Kirk Cameron?

There’s an old saying: “What is the quickest way to become a millionaire? Start as a billionaire and get into producing movies.”

Love it.

But yes, I imagine if a billionaire’s willing to foot the bill under those conditions, the movie would absolutely get made.

Amazingly enough, this has already happened. Apparently a billionare made Alec Gores funded a movie just so his cerebal palsy afflicted son could star in a movie.

A similar saying: “How do you make a small fortune in auto racing? Start with a large fortune”

Sure, but so what? The billionaire is footing the entire budget - everything the studio makes on top of his investment is gravy. Even if the billionaire demands rigorous accounting and even if the movie tanks at the box office, they’re still going to make millions in profit.

For example, 47 Ronin (cited by Wikipedia as the biggest box office bomb of all time based on absolute loss on worldwide gross) grossed $151 million dollars on a $225 million dollar budget.

If that budget had been entirely covered by a crazy billionaire, the $151 million would have been pure profit and the studio execs would have been pleased as punch.

Ditto horse racing.

If the OP would like some help shrinking a fortune I would be happy to oblige.

Likely, The Outlaw and Incheon were two examples. I doubt it would be good but if the money is guaranteed upfront and it gets say a limited or just foreign market, or direct to video release the studio would have no reason not to.

Pia Zadora’s notoriously awful film Butterfly was financed by her millionaire husband. He even “bought” her a Golden Globe, supposedly.

Orson Welles in it, funny considering the guy pulled at stunt like Kane and that opera mistress of his.

Similarly, I can pick out stocks that will plummet. But only if I put money in.

That fraction of the profits could be a problem if you intend to use real accounting to determine it. If you’re satisfied with Hollywood accounting that won’t be a problem. Box office revenue? No way. Your script is a dog, they’re not giving up their guaranteed revenue.