Last day for my cat, Lucia

I’ve mentioned Lucia occasionally before, usually in threads that have to do with caring for cats with diabetes.

I don’t know exactly how old she is. She was a grown-up cat, estimated to be at least 3 years old, when I adopted her from the SPCA shelter in January of 2002. She’d been brought to them as a stray, but had obviously belonged to someone before; she was already spayed as well as declawed, and very friendly. I’ve never known if she got lost or if she’d been abandoned by her previous people.

She nearly died of pancreatitis in the summer of 2007 and spent two very expensive weeks in the emergency vet’s hospital. I thought I was going to lose her then, but she struggled to stay alive after I told the vets not to take any extreme measures and I couldn’t give up on her as long as she was fighting.

When I first brought her home, I had to nurse her carefully for several more weeks. She still had an esophageal tube that I had to feed her warm, mushy, watery food through. That would take ten minutes or more a session, and I would lie on the floor with her and sing her songs while hoping she wouldn’t barf it all back up once we were done. She recovered, but she’s been diabetic since then and I’ve had to schedule my days around her regular insulin injections.

Over the last 13 years, I’ve spent a lot of time, effort, and money in keeping this cat alive, but tomorrow I’m taking her to the vet to put her to sleep.

It’s not because of the diabetes.

Up until a couple of months ago I would’ve said that she was doing remarkably well for a cat of her age and ongoing chronic conditions. She was developing some mild arthritis in her elbows and knees and was increasingly grouchy once the Calico Invasion took over our house in the form of two hyperactive kittens, but I had every reason to think she’d be with us for another year or two.

Then I found a small, hard lump on the underside of her jaw near the beginning of October. The vet said it was a bone tumor, probably a sarcoma, and there really wasn’t anything we could do about it but keep her happy and comfortable until that wasn’t possible anymore.

That’s what I’ve done these last few weeks. The lump has been growing larger with alarming rapidity. Lucia doesn’t seem to be in any pain from it, but I can see it’s making it difficult for her lap up her wet food and water now. She’s can’t manage kibble anymore. She’s still fighting, but I’ve been watching her carefully and thinking of little else over this weekend, and I have to accept that it’s time to give up. There’s nothing else I can do to make it better for her. I’ll be phoning the vet’s office in the morning.

I’m so sorry, Chee. It’s not how I would’ve wanted things to end.

If you can afford the time and the money, you might want to call around and see if any vets will come to your house to do the deed. And remember, if they don’t be sure to ask if they possible know any vet that will.

Secondly. They typically give two shots. The first just really relaxes the cat. This tends to dialate their eyes. So, if you do it at home make sure the lights are down at some point and they are NOT looking towards any light sources or windows.

Thirdly, the second injection is FAST, so don’t be suprised about that.

Fourth, this sucks donkey balls and you will probably feel very guilty about this…but don’t…because in my opinion, if anything, people who really love their pets probably wait too long do what is right…so don’t worry that you are doing this too early.

Damn, now my eyes are leaking again.

Thank you for the advice–I’ll see what I can do about vets in the morning.

I’m actually kind of hoping they’ll say I should’ve done it before the weekend, so I know there’s really nothing else to do. I had another cat die on me a couple of years ago of kidney failure and Lucia isn’t at that state yet, where you know it’s the end, although her condition isn’t the same as the other cat’s.

I didn’t start crying myself until I was typing the above message.

I am so sorry. This really sucks. Remember that you have provided a loving home for Lucia for years. You also have the wisdom to know when to let her go.

I wish you strength, and send you my condolences.

Take comfort that though very sad, and very difficult, you are doing the very kindest act for her.

I am so sorry. I’ll give my Atilla extra scrithes in Lucia’s honor. It sucks to lose a beloved pet.

I am so so sorry. Love to both of you.

Every so often, I worry that I will die before her, and leave my Nikki alone.( Again - her first owner died on her.)

Then I worry that I WON’T precede her, and be where you are with Chee.

So far, I’ve been able to re-home my cats long before they reach old age.
This is the one where one of us has to bury the other.

Sucks either way.

Give Chee a couple of strokes for me.

So sorry for what you’re about to go through, but I agree that you’re doing the right thing - it sounds like things are getting ready to get much worse.

My munchkin is about the same age as yours, and when the time comes, I hope I have the courage to do the same, and not prolong her suffering. I owe her that.

Every cat should be so lucky as to have an owner like you.

Many hugs to you, and Lucia too.

Tuxedo, who’s about Lucia’s age, is sitting on the computer table as I type this. I had him evaluated at the vet last week, because I thought he was losing a lot of weight. He wasn’t, and his labs were all normal too so he’s still healthy.

:frowning: for all of you.

I’m so very sorry, Miss Mapp. Lucia seems like a lovely cat. This is the hardest decision, but the right one. I had a kitty with a similar type of sarcoma. He’s been gone 15 yrs and I still miss him. My current kitties, Smokey and Blue will received extra kitty treats in Lucia’s honor tomorrow.

So very sorry, Miss Mapp. Thank you for always doing right by Lucia, especially today.

My love to Lucia.

Thank you all. I’ve spoken to our regular vet’s office and made an appointment for someone to come this afternoon.

I’m so sorry, Miss Mapp, for what both of you are going through. We already know that Lucia is lucky to have you; please post pictures so we can see how lucky you were to have Lucia.

Miss Mapp - There’s a saying, “Better a day too early than an hour too late”. It’s hard, but a good thing to think of her before she’s truly suffering.

My sympathies.

StG

So sorry. We had to put down our beloved 17-year-old cat this past summer. It is so hard, but you are doing the right thing. Hugs.

I wish to pass on my sincere condolences. My wife and I have lost two cats to cancer and one to diabetes so I know how you feel. It’s horrible and it sucks to lose such a good friend.

(( Miss Mapp )) Wishing you well today. I know it is very hard.

It didn’t take very long at all. I sat in an armchair with her for a couple of hours, until it was time. The vet and an assistant came about 3:00 and we made arrangements for the disposition of the body and I signed a paper.

Just like billfish678 said–they gave her a shot of valium first and I held her in my arms for about 5 minutes until she became limp with her little tongue hanging out. Her tongue has been hanging out like a pug dog for about the last week or so, due to the lump growing under it.

We lay her down on the table with a couple of towels underneath her and they put an IV into her leg to slow her heart and breathing; I continued to pet her and talk softly to her until the vet said her heart had stopped and went on petting for some time afterwards. It was hard to believe she was gone. She stayed warm for a surprisingly long time, and I put my ear to her once to be sure her heart wasn’t beating anymore. We took a clipping of her fur for me to keep.

They left around 4:00 and took Lucia with them for cremation. I’ll get the little box of ashes next week.

I went through about 1/2 a box of tissues during that hour. After they were gone, I made some tea, took an Advil for the headache I was developing from crying on and off all afternoon, and I phoned my mother–when your cat dies, you want Mommy even if you’re over 50.

Between 6:00 and 7:00, it felt a little strange since that’s when Lucia usually gets her insulin and this evening there was nothing to do. The same this morning. I threw out her medications before I went to bed, but will have to see if I can donate the unused packets of syringes to a shelter or something.

When my other cat Miss Austen died a couple of years ago, I said that I wouldn’t get another cat until after Lucia went too. I changed my mind about that last summer when I saw my first little Calico Monster (otherwise known as Charley), when she was about 6 weeks old and up for adoption, and again about 3 months ago when I got The Calico Horror, Part II (aka Emily). I’m glad I didn’t wait. Facing an empty house last night and this morning would’ve been hard.

I’ll post some photos and link to them later today.