My job since 2003 may soon be over. I feel sick. [Great news update!]

I have shit to do but trying to calm down the nausea by being still for a few minutes.

The one guy everyone can’t stand is taking a newly-created position, in which he will be head of all the departments. No official announcement has been made yet (really bad decision on management’s part), but my direct-report boss (the Medical Director) was told today that this guy will be managing personnel in all departments. I don’t know what role the Executive Director will have now, but clearly he’s stepping back from doing day-to-day personnel stuff - maybe he’ll stick more with the financial stuff and maybe oversee Development a little more? It’s all my own conjecture.

All I know is that if my direct-report managers are no longer the Medical Director and the Executive Director, and I have to do any more than say “hello” to this fuckface on a daily basis, I’ll be leaving. The Medical Director will also be leaving.

To emphasize how serious this is and how much people hate this guy, two people quit on the spot today and two others gave their 14-day notice. The Doctor, the Clinic Supervisor and I may very soon follow. That’s half the department, and ALL the people who know day to day operations.

I love this job. It’s super low-stress and I get 6 weeks of vacation. I make my own hours and can take last-minute days off. It’s making me sick I will soon have to leave, but I cannot work for that asshole. I won’t. I have a part-time job that will take me full time as soon as I ask so I’ll be fine when I walk out, but it’s truly the end of an era and the best job I’ll have in my whole life. I was hoping to retire from here I love it that much.

I’m so nauseous right now. :frowning:

I can’t imagine – a place you love that much and they make such a bad decision. Is there any chance they will see the effect in time to rethink this?

I am glad you have an alternative to go to but this sucks. Hard.

I would hope so, but I’m pretty sure it’s a Board-level decision. Only the Board can create new positions/job titles. This guy is nothing but a snaky schmoozer who has gone to Board meetings and I’m sure they think he’s just great, as they’re all executive types who just love to have their asses licked by guys like this. I’m sure he seems great to them. What they’ve never witnessed is his yelling at Manager’s Meetings and yelling at other staff and generally being a jackass.

I’ve got to wonder if the fact that many people quit will be taken as an indication that their choice is unwise.

Given how short of staff they’re about to be, it may be easier for you to request who your manager will be.

And two of them did so on the spot? :eek: I wonder how they explained it.

With all those people leaving, perhaps it’s best for you to learn to live with the @$$hole and outlast him. There might be a silver lining in this cloud for you if you can handle working there while he fails at his new assignment.

You sure you can’t mosey up to this guy? He’s obviously a comer so you might as well take the winning side. And length if service isn’t something you throw away just for a lousy guy who isn’t even your direct.

I feel for you. Guys like that are so good at telling the boss/owner exactly what they want to hear. If only the owner actually understood what was really going on. Nothing worse than working for a guy everyone hates while the owner is blind to it.

The problem is he may well soon be my direct. Like, as of Wednesday.

I can’t work with him. He’s been here a year longer than me. He’s had a boner for the Clinic since he got here. Agh, it’s a 13-year long story! So, so, so many things I could tell you guys!

He’s schmoozed his way this far and continued to take credit for work other people do. He’s also married to the Development Director. And the Board thinks he’s just the best of all the cheese. And he’s besties with the Executive Director.

This whole thing is going in a direction I’d rather not be a part of, unfortunately. I mean, at this point, I have no idea whether this is what they wanted to have happen. I won’t find anything definitive out until the E.D. is back on Wednesday. I need to talk with him before making any final decisions.

Sorry, SeaDragonTattoo. I hope this shit passes soon.

My team once got a “temporary” boss (replacement for a very good boss) who was supposed to help us find our next positions, as our project was wrapping up. He was so bad that when we found out what his new position was going to be, several people who were aiming for jobs as direct reports to that position suddenly reckoned they’d rather… oh, dunnow, work retail? Sex chickens? Count the spines on echidnas? A guy who hated engineers, anybody a different skin tone than him, anybody of a different religion, women, foreigners, and people with master’s degrees, and they first make him lead of a team that’s 75% engineers, then Ops Manager for one of the company’s businesses. Kissing ass was the one thing he was good at, but apparently he was real good at it.

They said, “I won’t work under Ollie, I have to resign today.” They finished their shift and left.

Anybody know if I delete my user account from my office PC, will that effectively delete all my Firefox settings? I’m trying to plan my exit if it needs to be swift. Will be deleting my Gmail/Drive accounts and don’t want my browser history or passwords or any of that to be accessible by an IT hack. I don’t care about what’s on the hard drive and other pertinent stuff is safe and accessible on the server - I have no intention of compromising anything there, just my personal browsing stuff (OK, and all the websites and passwords I use for ordering drugs and supplies) and email/Drive storage.

In this case, because it’s a work computer, your best bet is to find your firefox profile on the computer and just copy the entire thing onto a USB drive. When you get home, copy that profile onto your hard drive.

Then make a new profile and point it at your copied work profile. It will have your entire environment.

There are other options, including the built in Firefox sync or the xMarks extension. But installing one of those might be recoverable by whoever uses your work computer next.

Use a password manager other than Firefox’s built in manager. I use Roboform. Lots of people use Lastpass (which conveniently also ties in with xMarks) or 1Password. KeePass is good too.

Once you get your home profile set up and your new Password manager working, change all the passwords on accounts that you accessed from work. If you want to be really thorough, give yourself a new email address for those accounts, too. Also, turn on 2-factor authentication, where possible.

Back up your bookmarks, either with xMarks or FF sync (which I use.)

And never log into sensitive accounts at work again!

Firefox Profiles infos:

Roboform - worth every penny, imo -

LastPass/xMarks -

https://www.xmarks.com/about/features
Good luck.

Oh, thank you for all that! Sorry I wasn’t very clear. But no worries on my personal personal stuff - I use private browsing for that if I even use the work PC, usually that’s all on my phone. Well, except for the Dope which I’m not worried about. Anyway, I’m just looking to delete to unrecoverable the work related website logins - I have about 15 companies I have sites and passwords saved for quick login for ordering stuff. A large part of my job is inventory - including prescription and controlled drugs - that’s the stuff I don’t want anybody accessing once I’m gone. They need to set it all up new with a new doctor, because if I’m gone, she’s gone and I use her license to order everything.

Sorry to hear about the personnel shifts at your beloved job, SeaDragonTattoo. I suppose you can take some comfort from knowing that you are in a position to walk away - imagine if you had no other work possibilities and simply had to stick it out no matter what. Instead, you will be able to join what is obviously a loud and clear chorus that is saying what an asshole “Ollie” is.

Will you have much opportunity to find out what happens after you’re gone?

Do not delete anything work-related off your work computer. That’s a good way to start trouble.

Have to agree with this. And really sorry to hear about your situation, SeaDragonTattoo.

She was pretty clear that she’s not doing that. She’s trying to make sure no one can use her access and log-ins to order things they aren’t authorized to order. She also doesn’t want them to be able to order things under the current doctor’s license number. In other words, she’s doing the responsible thing.

SDT - I’m so sorry you are going through this. I’ve been there, and it sucks. Please, please take a USB drive to work with you today and copy down everything you are going to want. Including your e-mail addy’s and Point of Contact list.

It’s pretty likely that @$$ will start making changes to the leave and benefits packages anyway. He’s almost certainly won this position by telling the board all the ways he can make them more profitable. Given his personal connections, I’d say this one is unwinnable. Use good judgement, pay attention to bonus due dates and any vesting deadlines, but above all, get out before it starts to tear you down.

Frustration at work is normal, but if you are seething, make a change.

Call a head hunter, in my limited experience they are worth more than they cost, and can at least make you feel like you are taking some action. Good Luck!

I’m finding a hard time accepting the way you’ve judged this matter, when I look at the pros and cons of your current (soon to be former) job.

Bear with me as I try to make some sense of it. On the one hand you listed these things:

1. I love this job.
  2. It’s super low-stress and I get 6 weeks of vacation.
  3. I make my own hours and can take last-minute days off.
  4. I’ve been there since 2003.
  5. I was hoping to retire from here I love it that much.

Now, the only thing you mentioned that supposedly trumps the weight of the former is this:

Everyone hates this guy.

Regardless of how you feel about him, have you paused to consider the ways in which he can harm you or turn over that environment you so love at your job? What’s the extent to which he can make your life a living hell? Now for two people to resign on the spot and others to hand in their notice isn’t anything to be taken lightly, whether or not they have other jobs they’re relying on, but this strikes me as a bit of an overreaction, on their part, at least so far.

Could you tell us more about Ollie, please?