Does/will Fallout 4 have any lasting impact?

Fallout 4 had an incredible amount of hype for it. It sold a bazillion copies, and tons of people were playing it on day one.

But it seems like it has quickly dropped off the radar. A lot of people on my friends list put more hours into Xcom 2 than Fallout 4, and that’s only been out two weeks. I see almost no discussion or even funny gifs on reddit about it.

It’s basically tied with Skyrim with player counts on steam. Skyrim has a larger install base, having been on sale many more times, but it’s a 5 year old game, which is a much bigger factor. Very few games have tens of thousands of concurrent players on average after 5 years. It seems extremely unlikely to me that Fallout 4 will have the number of players skyrim has now in a year, let alone 5.

It seems to me like outside the hype of the few days after the initial release, it has no cultural impact whatsoever. Not even compared to previous Fallout games, of which it is probably the worst. Certainly worse than NV. Against Fallout 3 I could see it going either way. It certainly doesn’t have even a fraction of the lasting cultural impact that skyrim has.

It’s telling that I played it for about 15 hours on a friend’s account and have almost no interest in picking it back up again. I could play it at will, but just haven’t bothered. I don’t even know if I’ll bother to pick it up when it’s $20 or even $10. Maybe if they finally allow people to make extensive mods for it and someone manages to make more compelling gameplay there.

Have they even released the mod kit for the game yet? People have been making mods with limited functionality using the skyrim kit, but they don’t have access to the full array of features. Considering that Bethesda vanilla games are only a shell of what they can become, there’s hope that Fallout 4 can be rescued by modding, but they’re really dropping the ball about getting the tools out there. I’m concerned they’re going to try to force some sort of ridiculous parity with consoles where mods have to work on both, dramatically limiting the potential there. Or they might charge for them, which would devastate the mod scene, ruin their reputation, and definitely make me boycott their games.

I think the reason it has no cultural impact is that it is by far the most shallow fallout game. The roleplaying options are extremely shallow. The characters aren’t very interesting. The dialogue options are a horrible abomination compared to previous games. Characters get very few real choices to make.

It’s basically Borderlands gameplay in a Fallout universe. The character design aspect is actually probably shallower than Borderlands, with its multiple classes with multiple trees. In Fallout, you basically pick whether you’re a guns guy or a melee guy or maybe some sort of novelty charisma/intelligence build. It hardly makes a difference.

But they both have basically the same gameplay loop. Find a quest giver, go through their dialogue, have no real choices in how the conversation goes nor do your character stats or previous actions in the game matter, get some sort of fetch or exterminate quest, go kill something, look around for loot, and return to sender. Only rather than the rather faced paced looting of Borderlands, you have to search every nook and crannie in buildings for hidden spoons.

And at that sort of shallow loop of gameplay, Borderlands probably does it better, with more variety in the way you can gear and skill out your player for combat, faster paced combat, less tedious inventory management, etc.

I wanted to like Fallout 4, having been a huge fan of all previous Fallout games except 3, which was kinda meh. But it seemed so incredibly shallow compared to previous games, so dumbed down, that I thought that there was no way it would make a real impact. I think I was right.

Eh, I think that most games don’t have much of a “lasting impact”. Look at Bioshock Infinite, for example, which was the bee’s knees of video games when it came out. It’s not as though you see people crying out for the “next Bioshock Infinite”.

That as many people are playing FO4 as Skyrim seems more a testament to Skyrim’s massive mod library and flexibility than a criticism of FO4. How many people are playing FO3 or NV compared to FO4 right now? But, again, most of Skyrim’s “cultural” impact comes from mods. Without that you have… arrow in the knee and sweet roll jokes? Beyond that it was a wide, sweeping world and every open world game was “Skyrim with [whatever]” for a while there but big open worlds are commonplace these days.

Fallout 4 is a flawed game. Bethesda tried a bunch of new stuff and some of it worked better than others. Some of the trade-offs (voiced protagonist meaning fewer dialogue options) are a bitter pill for those used to the franchise. On the other hand, I put 200 hours into FO4 without bothering with the settlement system or doing the endless Minutemen radiant quests. In comparison, I have 200 hours in NV but that was after doing the entire game and DLC twice. So, objectively, I have to say FO4 had something to it that kept me interested. I disagree with your assessment and comparison to Borderlands but that’s neither here nor there. It also wouldn’t be what kept FO4 from having “impact” as evidenced by the impact of Borderlands. Hell, Borderlands had many times the cultural impact of New Vegas, for that matter. Yes Man has nothing on Claptrap.

Of course the real impact of FO4 will be how it affects Bethesda’s design decisions moving forward as they shift from layers of text-based dialogue and tabletop RPG style stats to more cinematic and streamlined gaming experiences. I think the FO4 DLC will be very interesting since it will presumably combine both Bethesda’s intended direction and the criticism placed on FO4 and reflect how they intend to handle it.

World of Warcraft was the last game that had a lasting impact. Fallout 4 was a huge hit, it’s main impact is going to be getting us Fallout 5 and a bunch of DLC/expansions.

Maybe not, but there are certainly games that I still go back to now, even though I’ve basically done everything there is to do, just because I enjoy playing them.

Yeah, but Bioshock Infinite was crap. :stuck_out_tongue: (My not so humble opinion only, but for me it’s a textbook example of a game I sunk like 15 hours into, put down one day, and simply never cared enough to pick up again.)

League of Legends say hi, mate. :wink:

Good point, i missed that boat so it slipped my mind.

Sure, but that’s a personal choice. I think that games that REALLY make lasting waves across the gaming world (Portal, HL2, Civ2, Doom, Skyrim, probably Borderlands, etc) are rare things. That FO4 isn’t one of them isn’t especially meaningful. Heck, I’d argue that the original Fallout/FO2 (as a single unit) would qualify but what FO3/NV were doing is overshadowed by Skyrim.

I played Fallout 4 for many, many hours, but I’ve basically reached the point where I’m done with it. For me, the biggest failure was that it was too similar to the last two Fallout games. It was certainly a decent game, and had lots of interesting parts, but it wasn’t a massive cultural touchstone that will spawn memes for years to come. It was just kind of “more Fallout.”

And I agree with the criticisms above that the roleplaying options were lacking. This is, admittedly, a very, very difficult thing to pull off well. At the same time, I pretty quickly realized that 90% of my conversations ended the same way regardless of what dialogue choices I made. As far as storytelling went, it was kind of weak.

I think you’re using a much more stringent definition of “Lasting impact” than I am; Dunno what the OP had in mind, but while he compared the game to Skyrim (which, honestly, I wouldn’t really put down as a “lasting impact” game if I were going to use the tough definition.) I got the feeling that he really just meant “Is this going to be a game people remember?”

Yeah, I had to think about it, actually.

I would rate charging for modding tools as strictly impossible and mod parity as an extraordinarily tone deaf and horrendously unlikely scenario, though the latter is unfortunately not outside the realm of possibility.

If Fallout 4 is going to have any lasting impact it will, in fact, be because players are going to be able to create mods on the PC and make them available to console users. This is a **huge **paradigm shift.

Yea, I didn’t think it was a bad game. A lot of the quests and characters were interesting. I wasn’t that into the settlement building, but at least they were trying new things.

But it ended up just feeling like “more Fallout”.

It’s a very good game, I would say a very worthy entry in the Fallout/Elder Scrolls series (plural). Settlement building is a fairly revolutionary addition, but the core game mechanics are very similar to other games in both series.

Just like all the other games though now that I’ve played it for approaching 300 hours (getting nowhere near completing the main quest), everything I do seems like a variation of things I’ve done before. However this is almost inevitable in these sorts of games. Only the strongest games can get me to waste anywhere near that much time and inevitably only very strong multiplayer games or games with very strong sandbox mechanics have more replay value.

I think that split focus might be to their detriment. They should have focused on getting PC modding up and running ASAP, THEN worked on the ability to port mods to the consoles.

It’s going to take time for PC modders to come up with great stuff once the tools hit anyway.

I won’t argue that point. I’m pretty surprised they still haven’t released the PC tools.

If you look at any list of games touted as influential, you’ll find a bunch of titles a lot of gamers never heard of. Planescape: Torment. Psychonauts. System Shock 2. Sometimes I fancy you have to have disappeared from the consciousness of the general gamer crowd even to make it onto these lists.

Now I feel old.

I’ve heard of all those and I’m not even that much of a “gamer”. Heck Psychonauts isn’t even that old (2006 - and it’s been in a bunch of indie bundles/sales that past three years).

On the other hand, I don’t know if SenorBeef means “influential game design” or “inspires a bunch of conversation and memes” or just “people fondly remember playing it”.

Yeah it definitely seems like a bit of a swing as miss. Not a horrible game by any means, but just nothing special, nothing that really grabbed me. And most of the people I talk too had pretty much the same reaction.

I drifted away after 30 hours or so, and haven’t really thought about it much other than when I read something about it. Some how it doesn’t really seem to create a sense of adventure, more like flipping through a book with a slightly custom order of chapters.

And compared to Borderlands 2, which is the last game I really got into,it doesn’t have the sense of fun and surprise. The laughing at your own absurdity of that game kinda makes you realize the older brother you knew first is pretty stuffy actually.

A timely article:

Bethesda confirms official PC mod support in April.

I didn’t even make it to 20 hours played. An all hat and no cattle game to be honest. A shame as I have been a fan of the series since Wasteland (aka Fallout 0). I agree completely that FO 4 was the worst of the series. The worst part of it is that the concept and graphics were very good…there was just nothing else there.

Will it make an impact? Beyond guaranteeing Fallout 5 I don’t think so. But what will FO 5 look like now that Bethesda knows it can score big with settler Sims and mediocre gameplay?