Old 05-16-2016, 12:49 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Latest missing celebrity: Sinéad O'Connor [Update: Found safe]

Since yesterday morning according to ABC 7 Chicago:
Quote:
WILMETTE, Ill. (WLS) -- Singer Sinead O'Connor is missing in Chicago's north suburbs.

Wilmette police confirm O'Connor went on a bike ride Sunday at 6 a.m. and did not return.

A caller to Wilmette police asked for authorities to check on O'Connor's well-being.

Police refused to release any further information.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 05-16-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:11 PM

Anyone know whether Arsenio Hall has an alibi?
Old 05-16-2016, 01:57 PM

Wow, the actual police alert doesn't say more than the "Wilmette area." Wilmette ain't small, and you'd think the police would give a little more detail. Saying what neighborhood she left from wouldn't give away exactly where she's staying, and, if it's known, saying what general direction she was going (towards Chicago, towards the lake, etc.) would be invaluable.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:04 PM

Her FB post seems to be telling her son Jake to get his brother out of TUSLA, which is a child and family agency in Dublin. She thinks Jake committed his brother there illegally. She cancelled a tour last year because she said she had to care for her son. Damn, this lass is all about the drama.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:31 PM

As a fan of hers, I really worry about her. Amazing voice, has a way with a lyric - but beyond a doubt severely emotionally damaged even before she got famous, and the pressures, traps, etc of fame & money have only made things worse.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Found safe.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/sinead-o...mette/1340701/
Old 05-16-2016, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Her FB post seems to be telling her son Jake to get his brother out of TUSLA, which is a child and family agency in Dublin. She thinks Jake committed his brother there illegally. She cancelled a tour last year because she said she had to care for her son. Damn, this lass is all about the drama.
I wondered what her connection was to Oklahoma. That makes more sense.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie the Ocelot View Post
As a fan of hers, I really worry about her. Amazing voice, has a way with a lyric - but beyond a doubt severely emotionally damaged even before she got famous, and the pressures, traps, etc of fame & money have only made things worse.
I concur. She is a very troubled individual with serious mental health problems. I fear there is no way she will live to a ripe old age. It's a real shame, because she is incredibly talented and fearless. That said, I am so glad she has been found alive.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
Good to hear
Old 05-16-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
That's a relief. I was afraid an eagle might have dropped a turtle on her head.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Her career went missing a long time ago, and aint been found yet.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bredin View Post
Wow, the actual police alert doesn't say more than the "Wilmette area." Wilmette ain't small, and you'd think the police would give a little more detail.
Wilmette's a bit over 5 square miles. That would qualify as "small" to me.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
That's a relief. I was afraid an eagle might have dropped a turtle on her head.
Aeschylus what you did there.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Her career went missing a long time ago, and aint been found yet.
Meh. She was only ever tangentially mainstream successful to begin with and that's just from lucky timing of the brief period of the "Alternative = Mainstream" contradiction filling the gap between New Kids on the Block and N'Sync. Her period of fame was probably artificially extended because entertainment news loves having celebrities who say "outrageous" things.

Her artistry and talent would have been recognized either way but with slightly different timing she'd have always been among the critically well respected but obscure camp. She's been actively making new music. That it may have gone "missing" from mainstream outlets isn't really much of a dig.

The album she put out less than two years ago, I'm Not Bossy, I'm the Boss, is quite possibly the greatest album she'd ever made. I say "quite possibly" because it is damned hard to outdo The Lion and the Cobra or I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got or, hell, even Faith and Courage (this woman has put out a lot of great music!), so really it's left to my mood at any given moment which one I'd say is the best. But the most recent one really is quite excellent and I often feel like it blows all the others out of the water.

He mental illness is her greatest enemy. If she were to ever get that under control, she'd quite deservedly hold a place of highly respected music veteran.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:36 AM

If she got her mental illness under control, she wouldn't be putting out great music.

All great artists have some kind of screw loose. It's the price for their gift.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If she got her mental illness under control, she wouldn't be putting out great music.

All great artists have some kind of screw loose. It's the price for their gift.
I've heard this many times, it seems too neat an out and it romanticizes the problems of a few far too much. I also can't find any confirmation that mental illness might be more common in successful artists. Since that is the case, I believe it arises from an extreme case of confirmation bias. You never hear about the well-adjusted artists behaving well, so you don't consider them.

As a result, I think this belief is counter-productive at best, and damaging at worst. This is true for both the artists and the viewers. Here's the clearest article I can find on the subject.

Yeah, yeah. I'm fucking delightful at parties, believe me.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Wikipedia onCreativity and mental illness

I've heard it described as the brain's brain. It's a part of the brain that a person has no control over, and it comes up with creative ideas. Anyone with a good creative brain (ME!) will testify to that.

It also may be the part of the brain that creates mental illness. Most mental ill people have no control over their illness.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
From the opening paragraph:

Quote:
There are cases that support the idea that mental illness can aid in creativity, but there is also strong support that mental illness does not have to be present for creativity to exist.
I know there are aspects of creativity that aren't in the conscious control of the person who is considered creative. I have been engaged in creative endeavors for most of my life and would probably be a megalomaniac if I thought I could pull genuinely creative and useful ideas at will. I also know that there are aspects of a normal person's mind that aren't in their conscious control, either. Also, you can be eccentric without being mentally ill.

There's no known part of the brain that creates mental illness or creativity.

Last edited by scabpicker; 05-17-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:07 PM

Maybe it can't be scientifically proven, but artists have long asserted that self-imposed and natural barriers stifle their creativity, and techniques have been developed to overcome these barriers, such as drawing on the right side of the brain. The left side imposes order, while the right side is more chaotic. It's thought that insanity removes the ability of the left side to impose order. Dali certainly held to that belief. He wasn't actually insane, but he wanted to emulate the condition.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:01 PM

Her allegations about Arsenio Hall- not just that he sold drugs to Prince but that he'd harassed her for years- had "manic phase delusions" written all over them. I hope he'll drop the lawsuit if she apologizes and gets help.

Last edited by Sampiro; 05-17-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:38 PM

I was reading about her past episodes- I knew she was erratic but didn't realize how full blown mental she is. Apparently she's publicly accused her kids- including the little ones- of driving her to suicide and haranguing her various baby daddies is something of a hobby. OTOH, she was absolutely delighted when her oldest son made her a grandmother last year.

Does anybody know if she's broke? If she manages her money herself then I've no doubt she is, but I'm hoping she's at least provided for the education of her younger kids.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:43 PM

Looks like she's at least providing legal education for her kids by suing them. She totally laid out the heavy guilt trip on her kids. She had to run to another continent just to stay alive.

Nothing compares 2 UR paranoia.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
As a result, I think this belief is counter-productive at best, and damaging at worst. This is true for both the artists and the viewers. Here's the clearest article I can find on the subject.

Yeah, yeah. I'm fucking delightful at parties, believe me.
I'd be happy to keep plying you with little sausages on a stick. A lot of my favorite artists do not seem to have had any special amount of mental health problems, and for those which did it tends to be of the exogenous type (Goya's depression for example).
Old 05-20-2016, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
I'd be happy to keep plying you with little sausages on a stick. A lot of my favorite artists do not seem to have had any special amount of mental health problems, and for those which did it tends to be of the exogenous type (Goya's depression for example).
Eww, umm, I'm sorry for being American to a hilt, but I'm picturing not very nice sausages (think Armour or Libby's Vienna, little smokies at best ) in this scenario.

Either way, as long as some sort of bar (even self-provided) is a possibility, and we're gonna talk sanely about artists such as Goya, let me know when the party starts! If I can convince the wife to come, I'll more than double the artistic knowledge provided by my entourage!

But yeah, even though neither of us are I dunno, "normal" psychologically, we both work at and think about varying types of art most any moment we aren't working at the rest of our lives. We both have acquaintances and friends who are commercially successful in their forms, but they're generally no more crazy or sane than we are. The fundamental idea of art is that you communicate something, anything, To believe you have to be dysfunctional to communicate is pretty silly when you think about it.

Last edited by scabpicker; 05-20-2016 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:17 AM

Not saying you have to be mentally ill to be good at art. Just saying that some artists see sanity as a barrier.

In Sinead's case, if she got top-notch counseling and all the meds she needed to keep her from going batshit crazy, I don't think she'd be quite as good an artist. She channels her anger issues and passions into her singing and conveys sincere emotional impact. If she were all calm and level-headed, she'd sound like elevator music.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not saying you have to be mentally ill to be good at art. Just saying that some artists see sanity as a barrier.

In Sinead's case, if she got top-notch counseling and all the meds she needed to keep her from going batshit crazy, I don't think she'd be quite as good an artist. She channels her anger issues and passions into her singing and conveys sincere emotional impact. If she were all calm and level-headed, she'd sound like elevator music.
Well, I'm not saying calm and level headed is conducive to making great art, but there's a difference between being passionate and being mentally ill. It may be easier for mentally ill people to communicate their passion in the short term, but their illness is not conducive or necessary to continuing to produce relevant art over a career. Our known treatments may blunt the creative drives of the mentally ill, but that does not seem to imply that the drives we associate with the illness are always associated with illness.

Last edited by scabpicker; 05-20-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:48 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFacts View Post
I concur. She is a very troubled individual with serious mental health problems. I fear there is no way she will live to a ripe old age.
She's already almost 50. She doesn't need to dodge that many bullets to make it to retirement age, at least.

Lots of people have mental health issues that make Sinead O'Connor look positively boring by comparison and manage to live long lives.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:48 PM

Can someone tell me what sorts of mental issues Sinead has? I admit to being fully ignorant of the matter. Is she schizophrenic? Bipolar?
Old 05-20-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
I know there are aspects of creativity that aren't in the conscious control of the person who is considered creative. I have been engaged in creative endeavors for most of my life and would probably be a megalomaniac if I thought I could pull genuinely creative and useful ideas at will. I also know that there are aspects of a normal person's mind that aren't in their conscious control, either. Also, you can be eccentric without being mentally ill.

There's no known part of the brain that creates mental illness or creativity.
I'm creative, but I'm also very technical. The technical ability is more lucrative than the creative, so I didn't end up an artist. I'm also not crazy.

Possibly the reason why there's such a correlation between mental illness and creativity, in the professional world, is because one can't be nutballs and hold down a regular job, whereas you can be and be an artist, singer, writer, etc.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:34 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Possibly the reason why there's such a correlation between mental illness and creativity, in the professional world, is because one can't be nutballs and hold down a regular job, whereas you can be and be an artist, singer, writer, etc.
There is a point at which being nutballs will take you out of any business. Sinead O'Connor is normal and stable 97% of the time.

I think you will find that even in professions such as acting, singing, and writing, the ability to show up on time, be industrious, work hard and work well with people is remarkably strongly correlated with success. You don't see Randy Quaid - who, I hasten to add, is an Oscar-nominated actor - getting a lot of top drawer roles, but they keep giving jobs to the likes of Tom Hanks, Kate Winslet, Ryan Gosling and Charlize Theron, because those people show up on time, treat others with decency, know their lines and bust their asses.