Old 07-12-2013, 03:22 PM

Today, we are cancelling the Apocalypse! (Pacific Rim) SPOILERS!

This movie is 2,500 tons of awesome! I caught an early advance show last night.

I know there's another thread here mentioning being "strangely psyched" to go see it, but having seen it, I'm already past that point. I'm already psyched to go see it again! Now I have to find some time this weekend to catch the IMAX 3D version.

On hovering over the title, even boxed spoilers get revealed, so I'll leave some space here.

I went into this movie expecting giant robots battling the hell out of kaiju, and holy cow, it delivers! Even though the first ten minutes cover a lot of ground, the pacing seemed right - there was never a dull moment where I had to wonder what I was supposed to be following.

Comparisons to Neon Genesis Evangelion will never go away as long as both titles exist in the same universe, but after having seen the entirety of Pacific Rim and not just scrutinizing the trailers, I'd have to say it owes as much (if not more) to the Godzilla/Gamera/kaiju movies of the 60's and 70's as it does to NGE. Del Toro specifically sites Tetsujin 28 (remember Gigantor?) as an influence, but I'm sure the host of designers he had working with him shown in the featurettes had all sorts of other ideas, too.

My only real complaint is that we didn't get to see enough of Cherno Alpha (I wanted Incinerator Turbines, darn it!!!), Crimson Typhoon, Horizon Brave, and Coyote Tango in action; Gipsy Danger and Striker Eureka are the real stars of the show.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:03 PM

I liked it, but I kept wondering if being a giant douche was a requirement for Jager pilots.

But then....

I realized there totally is a reason why they would be. Pilots go into the drift with each other, knowing intimately every detail about each other's past, all memories etc. So no one would agree to be a pilot who believed he had anything to hide.

Believed.

What this means is that pilot volunteers are likely to be these hugely overconfident, arrogant self righteous types. Which explains everything perfectly.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:13 PM

Just saw it, very fun overall. Things I liked:
-the completeness and detail of the world and backstory. So many tiny little details added up to form a very convincing world
-the fact that the monsters were vulnerable to conventional weapons, just not all THAT vulnerable. Way too often in movies like this all of the army's weapons, including missiles that can blow up a frickin' battleship, do nothing to the monster because, umm, monster. Here that was not the case, although why all those jet fighters were firing machines guns from close range rather than missiles from long range is unclear
-most of the time, the sense of scale and size on both the monsters and the robots was convincing and awesome

What I didn't like:
-as is all too often the case in movies these days, super-quick camera cuts and a washed out palette left it frequently impossible to tell what was actually going on, what had just happened to who, etc.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:03 PM

Just saw it- really enjoyed it. Managed just the right amount of camp and ridiculousness without going overboard. I like how it mostly (though not entirely) took itself and its world seriously. And the supporting cast was excellent- Charlie Day, Burn Gorman, Ron Perlman, etc.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 07-12-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiekier View Post
Now I have to find some time this weekend to catch the IMAX 3D version.
Dooo eeeeeet. I never bother with the IMAX 3D but I was glad I did for this.

I think I watched the whole movie with my mouth hanging open from all the awesome. The only thing I was disappointed by was that we didn't get to spend more time with the non-Aussie, non-Gipsy Danger Jaeger pilots.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:41 AM

Just got back from it. Was bored most of the times. Action scenes were nearly incomprehensible. I didn't care about any of the characters. And the movie went on way too long.

Oh, and dinosaurs didn't have two brains. But they still had one more than this movie had.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:09 AM

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm wondering if they explain why missiles don't hurt the monsters, but punches from giant robots do?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdavinci View Post
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm wondering if they explain why missiles don't hurt the monsters, but punches from giant robots do?
The missiles do hurt the monsters, but not very much. Obviously, robot punches are needed.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:38 AM

Its a beautifully sunny day in Dublin, so naturally I went and sat in the cinema for two hours.

Best decision I ever made. Not only was I the only person in the room (making for the perfect cinema experience) but I thought the film kicked ass. I didn't want a best picture nominee, I wanted an Armageddon style against all odds monsters fighting robots extravaganza, and thats exactly what I got.

Anybody who didn't like this film has no inner child.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
Anybody who didn't like this film has no inner child.
Nah, my innerchild just has better taste

(And as one who does videogame stuff for a living, and visits Disneyland 3-5 times a year, there's really no room for an adult portion)

Last edited by Red Barchetta; 07-13-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:21 PM

Just like I felt when watching Godzilla movies as a kid, I couldn't wait for the "People" scenes to end so we could get to the monsters! The monster and Giant Robot stuff was well done (although I would have liked more day time fights) but the movie could have used about 15 minutes of talk cut and it would have probably been perfect.

BTW I was sure the computer voice was the one from Portal and just checked and it was!

Last edited by Quimby; 07-13-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:24 PM

I thought it was noisy nonsense. As stated above, the action was incomprehensible.

Also, is anyone else thoroughly sick of these creatures (Cloverfield, Super 8) that are multi-jaw, bat-like spider things with no face and zero personality? At least Godzilla had eyes.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:44 PM

That was one of the better Anime films I've seen. The scale of things was just immense and amazing to me, up to and including the Wall project. Sure, it made no sense whatsoever, but it was just so cool that for the most part I didn't mind. So many little throwaway details about the world and how it has gone straight in the toilet since the Kaiju showed up; riots, rationing, everything deteriorating because people just don't care to maintain it anymore. Even the graffiti on the weathered sign announcing the Sitka wall project made me smile (Estimated Completion Date (crossed out and painted over) Never!.

Charlie Day was great too, but I have to admit I kept think of him as his character from Horrible Bosses. For some reason, that didn't detract anything from the film.

Another lovely detail, the "personality" of the various Jagers - not just in how their teams handled them, but their actual design. The Russian one in particular, when facing off with the Kaiju and its lower arms *extended and retracted quickly* like a boxer shaking it off before plunging back in - genius.

Not a Best Picture contender, but I'd say I'll see it again at some point. This one is a for-sure see it in the theater one though, you need the big screen and rumbling sound to really get into it. The theater I went to was packed, about half the audience was probably boys around 8-11 or so, most of the other half was their fathers. I'm sure those boys will be hooked on Jagers like I was when I was a kid on Shogun Warriors and the like - and like their fathers were too.

And one more vote for more daytime fighting - I assume they went all dark and rainy to help disguise some CGI issues, but the few daylight sequences looked great to me, so not sure what that was all about.

Last edited by Werekoala; 07-13-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
Just got back from it. Was bored most of the times. Action scenes were nearly incomprehensible. I didn't care about any of the characters. And the movie went on way too long.
That's funny, the conversation I had with the people I saw it with covered both of these two points specifically and we all came to the opposite conclusion.

It was a lot of fun but might have had a few too many parallels to Independace Day for me to give it too high of a grade. Wasn't a rip off or anything, but...

-thought the world building was great
-covered all the major flaws I thought I would have when watching the trailer
-decent story, good work with secondary characters
-understood its place in the world

Would love to drift(?) with Rinko but I'm confident she would be disgusted with what goes on in my head.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:19 PM

Utterly awesome movie. Fantastic action scenes, Hellboy & Charlie were hilarious, Idris Elba was great. Loved the robots. The only belief I was unwilling to suspend was 6 helicopters lifting the Jaegers. At least make them ducted multi-blade choppers or add jets or something so they aren't just standard helicopters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky the Wonder Spirit View Post
Dooo eeeeeet. I never bother with the IMAX 3D but I was glad I did for this.
Agree 100%. Imax definitely adds a ton to this movie.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:30 PM

Also, did anyone else think all the nose-bleeds were somehow connected and setting up for a massive twist that never happened?

Last edited by Stephe96; 07-13-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:36 PM

We got back from seeing it a little while ago. I got totally wrapped up in it, so that I was all about "helping" with my body english. My uncle did the same thing when he watched Live Atlanta Wrestling 50 years ago. Luckily the only person nearby was my husband, who just thinks I'm funny when I do that.

But that was part of the fun for me! I don't get to lose myself in movies much these days. And any time I watch a movie and can say "F&C4 yeah, SWORD!!!! Giant robot with SWORD!!!" is kinda awesome.

I agree that it was pretty hard to tell what was going on in a lot of the action sequences. We also found some of the dialog hard to understand. And I told my husband that carrying the Jaegers out with helicopters was a pretty chancy thing too.

But I liked it. It's not every day you can see a giant robot drag a big ship down the street and hit beat a monster with it. That kinda made my day.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Big dumb fun - in a good way. I want to nit about weapon choices - whaddya mean you had a sword all this time? - but I found myself rooting for the movie for all of its goofy spectacularity. Good movie to catch with my son. Del Toro's visuals boggle the mind - yes, the fight sequencing was confusing at times, but always visually great.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:00 PM

By the way how old do you think the actress was who played li'l Mako? It was a pretty damn intense performance for a kid that young, I thought.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:02 PM

For any "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" fans, here's my take on Charlie's plan to read the Kaiju's brain.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:25 PM

I had issues with the movie:
- If the sword was so kick-arse, why wasn't it used earlier in the Hong Kong battle?
- Was there a reason why Aussie Punk and Pentecost didn't eject?
- I though the whole plan was to explode the nuke inside the bridge, not on the other side.
- After all the drama of how drift comparability is critical, Pentecost just jumps in?

I guess they just said "Fuck it, the more dialogue we have, the longer the audience has to wait until the battle scenes". Giant robots fighting giant monsters goes a long way towards papering over the plot-holes.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineerly View Post
- If the sword was so kick-arse, why wasn't it used earlier in the Hong Kong battle?
- I though the whole plan was to explode the nuke inside the bridge, not on the other side.
- After all the drama of how drift comparability is critical, Pentecost just jumps in?

I guess they just said "Fuck it, the more dialogue we have, the longer the audience has to wait until the battle scenes". Giant robots fighting giant monsters goes a long way towards papering over the plot-holes.
Those are your issues? Really?

I think you shouldn't have bothered with this movie, its clearly not your thing.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
Those are your issues? Really?

I think you shouldn't have bothered with this movie, its clearly not your thing.
Aww heck. Sorry, should have edited it for tone.

What I should have said was that despite of those nit picks, I actually had a fun time. If it was any other movie premise those nitpicks would have killed it for me, but actually seeing anime robots fighting Godzilla'ish monsters in a triple A Hollywood was a massive buzz. I was grinning like a loon at every hero shot of the robots.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:11 AM

I saw it this afternoon and thought it was a lot of fun! I thought it was pretty well done, both with the action and with the characters. I would recommend it to pretty much anyone who likes sci-fi action movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werekoala View Post
That was one of the better Anime films I've seen. The scale of things was just immense and amazing to me, up to and including the Wall project. Sure, it made no sense whatsoever, but it was just so cool that for the most part I didn't mind. So many little throwaway details about the world and how it has gone straight in the toilet since the Kaiju showed up; riots, rationing, everything deteriorating because people just don't care to maintain it anymore. Even the graffiti on the weathered sign announcing the Sitka wall project made me smile (Estimated Completion Date (crossed out and painted over) Never!.
I really liked that too. It was nicely done, and helped show the stakes. They could have done more, like I was wondering how many people had been killed over the years, and how many people were still in the coastal cities. With that many monsters had come up from the seas I would think as many people as possible would have already fled from Hong Kong, but it sounded like they called it a city of 10 million people. But that's nitpicking, because they still did better world building than a lot of movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephe96 View Post
Also, did anyone else think all the nose-bleeds were somehow connected and setting up for a massive twist that never happened?
Well I think the nose-bleeds was just to show how much stress the early Jaegers put on the body before they updated the design. So it set us up for Idris Elba being sick, but deciding to go fight anyway. I wasn't really expecting any more than that.

But there was a different plot point I was waiting on a resolution for- the scientist drifted with a monster, then Ron Perlman said the monster would be coming for him, then it looked like it was. The new kaiju busted into the shelter, waved his glow-in-the-dark tentacles around, but then did nothing else. I realize that his attention was soon taken by the Jaeger walking up, but I was still wondering what was going on. And then nothing came of it. The two scientists drifted with the baby monster, but the fact that the hive mind could see them didn't affect anything. Maybe it was a point that was dropped to make things simpler, or maybe I just missed something, but it was something I was wondering about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archergal View Post
I agree that it was pretty hard to tell what was going on in a lot of the action sequences. We also found some of the dialog hard to understand. And I told my husband that carrying the Jaegers out with helicopters was a pretty chancy thing too.
The action wasn't perfect, but I was mostly able to tell what was going on. Or maybe I'm just comparing it to lesser movies where I couldn't tell at all what was going on. Like in Transformers I could never tell who or what was fighting, or who was winning, or even who was who. So compared to that, Pacific Rim was crystal clear. It would have helped if they weren't in the water and/or dark most of the time, but I can understand the reasons for that. And even with that I could still mostly tell who was fighting, who was winning, and where the fighters were. Not to criticize you or others who thought it wasn't clear, it obviously could have been clearer if y'all were bothered by it, but it just wasn't something I had an issue with.

That is a good point about the helicopters. The Jaegers would weigh a massive amount. Here's an interesting article estimating how many helicopters it would take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
For any "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" fans, here's my take on Charlie's plan to read the Kaiju's brain.
That is perfect! It is a very Charlie plan to do that.

And on a shallow side note, I have to say Charlie Day looked real good in this movie. The glasses, leather jacket, and tattoos really worked for me.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:56 AM

Saw it. Liked it. Lots of fun, great action. However, the kaiju were hard to see ... the battle scenes were almost all dark and/or very rainy, obscuring them. Surely a CGI thing.

Would not pay to watch it again, but am very OK with having paid to watch it in a theater once.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:

1. Had same question. If you have a massively effective sword, why was that a weapon of last resort? It's not like it isn't reusable and needs to be conserved.

2. Because the story was done with them. And Mako's "teacher, I love you" would have been less poignant if he'd survived.

3. I believe it was, but if you nuke the source of the portal it would be just as good, it seems to me.

4. Hadn't he drifted with the father and so since the father and son were drift compatible they were? And he brings nothing to the drift. He's a drift ninja.

The one question (I enjoyed the movie about as much as I think I could enjoy this type of movie) I'd like to have seen addressed was the fact that the portal wasn't some random natural event, it was a result of alien technology and intent. Won't they just open another portal? Or 100 of them?

That, and the wildly variable corrosiveness of the aliens blood were my major nitpicks.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfusciatrist View Post
1. Had same question. If you have a massively effective sword, why was that a weapon of last resort? It's not like it isn't reusable and needs to be conserved.
Probably because the robot didn't have a sword when Raleigh Beckett was originally the pilot and he either didn't know about it, or if he had been told he forgot about it in the heat of battle.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:

The one question (I enjoyed the movie about as much as I think I could enjoy this type of movie) I'd like to have seen addressed was the fact that the portal wasn't some random natural event, it was a result of alien technology and intent. Won't they just open another portal? Or 100 of them?
I was under the impression that was why the plan changed from blowing the nuke in the tunnel vs. on the other end of the tunnel. It was the difference between closing the portal and getting rid of the source of the portal.

But I'm not sure if that is supported by the dialogue or I just made it up
Old 07-14-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:

These are all explained in the movie. Maybe not stated outright in the text in some cases (although it *is* for two of your nitpicks), but certainly in the subtext.

1. As someone else pointed out, it's implied that Gipsy Danger didn't have a sword in her first iteration, which explains why Mako knew it existed but Raleigh didn't. I also didn't get the impression it *was* supposed to be "so kick-arse." It was a weapon of last resort - note that even in the last battle, when Gipsy Danger pulls out both swords from the get go, they aren't actually that effective until the one kaiju charges straight at them, bringing enough momentum that it basically slices itself in half.

2. They were timing the detonation of the nuke to ensure that it took out both kaiju. It wasn't like the bridge where a detonation anytime within (or on the other side of) the bridge would fulfill the objective - they needed to time it to within a second.

3. That *was* the plan, but the malfunction that prevents the automated self-destruct prevents Raleigh from doing it in time. He specifically initiates the auto self-destruct immediately upon entering the bridge, then has to spend the entire descent pulling the manual override when the automated system fails.

4. There is a dialogue scene in the movie that literally does nothing but address this issue - the "you're your father's son" scene. It establishes instantly that Pentecost has sufficient connection with Aussie Punk to Drift, having been his commander for years now. Not to mention that as a veteran Jaeger pilot himself, who was one of the only ones ever to "fly solo," Pentecost already spent the entire movie establishing that he's the one badass who could possibly step in for an injured Jaeger pilot.

Last edited by Tanbarkie; 07-14-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

I thought it was great for a big dumb summer giant monster movie. I really liked the steam punk touches throughout.

There is something odd in about the visibility (?) of the monsters in movies like this today. Back in ye olden days, the giant, obviously fake monsters weren't "hidden" in darkness or rain. We got to see Godzilla, Mothra, Gamera, the Gargantuas, etc clearly and in full daylight. Now, when the technology is so much better, why are giant monsters so much harder to see?

Last edited by blondebear; 07-14-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:22 PM

I didn't have any issues seeing them.

Liked the movie. Liked what happened to Ron Perlman's character. Kept thinking that one guy reminded me a lot of Rick Moranis.

But you'd think they'd just mount thousands of those plasma cannons along the coast lines.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

God, that was stupid.

OK, I dig it. Kaiju fighting giant mechs is fucking awesome. And I'd bet most anything that's how del Toro pitched the picture. If I was an exec, I'd whip out the cocaine and checkbook.

But it's like they never got past the 100,000 foot concept level.

Because beyond the fights and the visuals every other thing in this movie (I can't call it a film, that gives it too much dignity) stunk. I mean stunk like a ditch digger in a South Carolina summer covered in two-week-old fish.

Characterization? Cliche and unplottable.
Plot? Ludicrous and stupid. Frankly, just the design of the mechs was pitiful. There's a REASON we build armored fortresses with treads instead of legs.
Dialog? Horribly trite.

I can hear the objections that it's just a summer movie. But it is not WRONG to expect more. Hell, Independence Day was better done and that wasn't actually a great movie.

My 12-year-old daughter, upon seeing Idris Elba talking, "I bet he gets an inspirational speech."
Old 07-14-2013, 04:19 PM

my only complaint is the "self destruct fails, must use manual override which includes hanging over a pit of chomping gears" which is used ALL THE FRACKING TIME NOW - its like they look for an excuse to put it in the movie.

The other major cliche - "hero is dead, hero is not dead" - but I can live with that.

We enjoyed it - we'll buy it when its released....
Old 07-14-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Liked the movie. Liked what happened to Ron Perlman's character. Kept thinking that one guy reminded me a lot of Rick Moranis.
There was one scene where I said to my wife "Are you the gatekeeper" and she said "I was thinking it too."
Old 07-14-2013, 04:29 PM

Oh, I forgot one major nitpick that I did have a hard time putting aside:

"Oh no, the EMP took out all the jaegers because they're digital!"

"Not mine, mine is analog! Because digital technology hadn't yet been invented in 2020 when my jaeger was built!"

<cut to fancy computer that handles the drift, controls the weapons, creates holographic representations of the controls, etc.>
Old 07-14-2013, 04:42 PM

It was better than Prometheus, so I'm good with that.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
"Not mine, mine is analog! Because digital technology hadn't yet been invented in 2020 when my jaeger was built!"

<cut to fancy computer that handles the drift, controls the weapons, creates holographic representations of the controls, etc.>
You missed the scene with the giant wind up key in the back?

Ok, I'll give you that one. It was fucking stupid.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:14 PM

Enjoyed it overall. The battle scenes were lots of fun and I enjoyed the feeling of watching a classic rubber suit monster movie. Just enough plot to tie the battle scenes together.

Have to check my brain when it comes to the military side of these things. Like others, was amazed none of the Jaegers had penetrating weapons to use on something that bleeds out. The movie seem to forget the sheer destructiveness of modern conventional weapons.

But I guess the movie would be over in about 10 minutes if the dialogue went something like this:
Sir, a Category 5 Kaiju spotted on the surface swimming towards Los Angeles!

Any assets in the area?

Yes sir, one attack aircraft with a full load-out of Bunker Busters.

Well, son, send them the coordinates and have them drop one on the critter. I'm going back to sleep.
And it was very hard to keep the eye rolls from happening when they had 8 Chinook type aircraft toting a Jaeger around.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post

Liked the movie. Liked what happened to Ron Perlman's character.
Did you stay through the credits?
Old 07-14-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Did you stay through the credits?
No. What did I miss?
Old 07-14-2013, 06:33 PM

In a Hellboy-like scene, Ron Perlman cuts his way out of the baby kaiju with his butterfly knife and shouts "Where the hell is my goddamn shoe!"
Old 07-14-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
In a Hellboy-like scene, Ron Perlman cuts his way out of the baby kaiju with his butterfly knife and shouts "Where the hell is my goddamn shoe!"
I didn't stay to watch, so I'm glad to hear that - when I saw the initial scene, I thought for a couple seconds that maybe he just got swallowed whole.

(One of my nitpicks: Why would cloned combat monsters come complete with reproductive organs? And how would one show up heavily pregnant? And then I thought maybe it wasn't so much 'pregnant' as 'ready to drop a second monster soon after arrival,' and then I just went 'ok, back to the monsters.')

Last edited by Ferret Herder; 07-14-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:04 PM

Being clones of each other doesn't mean that they don't reproduce naturally, just that they do it in a way that doesn't involve recombining DNA.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Being clones of each other doesn't mean that they don't reproduce naturally, just that they do it in a way that doesn't involve recombining DNA.
I would normally agree, but from one of the "drift" scenes it looked like the monsters were being constructed from the ground up, with muscles being laid onto bones, etc. So it didn't seem to make sense in that context why they'd bother putting reproductive organs into one of your shock troopers.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Just like I felt when watching Godzilla movies as a kid, I couldn't wait for the "People" scenes to end so we could get to the monsters!
That was my reaction too.

That said, something that nagged at me: the level of international cooperation is improbable. I suppose a bare majority of people in countries with a Pacific coast would agree that something had to be done, but the kaiju would be in Uzbekistan before there was anything like a consensus on what and by whom.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:57 PM

Does hitting something underwater decrease the effectiveness of Bunker Busters? I'm honestly curious.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:03 PM

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck YEEEEEEEAAAAAHHH! What a spectacularly kickass movie!! I think I got a boner over it, no lie! When that sword came out, my sword came out! This was a superb action movie, I'm going to see it again next week!
Old 07-14-2013, 09:35 PM

What an awesome movie. Especially if you accept it for what it is, a live action anime.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Rhombus View Post
Does hitting something underwater decrease the effectiveness of Bunker Busters? I'm honestly curious.
I don't know. I really doubt they are effective on something more than a few feet under water. On the other hand, my understanding is that the concussion waves are much more effective underwater than in the air. So being close is going to count.

It would be like hunting submarines and I would guess a kaiju is much easier to find than a modern submarine. Localize it and drop a metric crap load of torpedoes or depth charges on them.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephe96 View Post
Yep, but that seemed to be a running theme in this movie. It started to set up a lot of stuff that...never happened, or they never got around to.

Hell, the prologue sequence, giving the backstory, before the main plot started? That would have been an interesting movie by itself—the society shocked with the appearance of alien monsters, becoming centered around combating them, the pilots of the robots becoming almost "rock stars"—fascinating stuff. I wanted to see that movie.

Even in what we did see—society crumbling because it can't fight the monsters anymore, evidence of famine, and economic collapse, the implication of "the rich" being safe on the continental interiors while the coastlines are evacuated, or left to rot, and the problems of the refugee population. Any of that, if we could have gotten to see it, would have been fascinating if we really got to see it's depths...but, nope, just glitzy Hong Kong, and the Del Toro-style funky retrotech base, plus robot fights.

Even the robots, with their control systems, left so much unexplored. So two pilots have to use the mind-link system to control it, together? All we really see is that it can send you into a flashback fugue, it can cause you pain if the robot or the other pilot is damaged, and the pilots move slightly more in synch. So much possibility there, just kind of...left sitting.

I can point out a bunch of other, niggling little stylistic or technical details that got to me—and most of the latter could have been easily avoided by either just not mentioning exact details, or by gussying them up with something futuristic. Eight Chinooks being a bit too underpowered to lift a Jaeger? Just use a fictional aircraft. The physical size that they quote for the nuke, technical details about the robots' computer systems—they seemed to go to the trouble of including little details that would only be noticed by viewers who'd know how they were wrong. Maddening.

Bah, but all aside—did I enjoy it? Hell yes. But I was disappointed because it easily could have been more. What we got felt more like a spinoff, or the last part of a trilogy.