Old 03-05-2016, 10:06 PM

Why do people hate Anne Hathaway?

She's more hated than Chris Brown.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:13 PM

I think she's seen as smug and fake. Never met her so I have no idea.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:31 PM

Not sure why she would be hated more than Chris Brown. As far as I know, she's never physically assaulted her partner. In my book, Chris Brown ranks wayyyy up there on the "most hated" list.

Oddly, she is the first cousin of a co-worker. Haven't met her personally, but she sounds nice enough.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:32 PM
BANNED

She's rich, beautiful, and privileged.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

I wasn't aware people hated Anne Hathaway. Can you give some examples?
Old 03-05-2016, 10:41 PM

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-celebr...eserve-part-4/

They look at a Buzzfeed article, which seems to list the following reasons:

Her Face.
She Looks Stupid.
She Ruined "The Dark Knight Rises"
She ruined "Love and Other Drugs."
She ruined "Ella Enchanted"
She ruins everything.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:56 PM
BANNED

Some people (who seemingly have no reason to lie about it) have reported her behaving badly IRL.
It could be BS to sell papers, it could be staged for publicity, or she might really not deal well with people she doesn't know inside her zone of personal space.

Or she requires a twenty to thirty foot diameter zone of personal space.

As I understand it, right now she is pregnant & probably doesn't need the stress. I'm willing to say she falls into the "Really talented, not all that social, has had some truly crappy things happen to her in her lifetime, so I'd let it go" category.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:05 PM

Who hates Anne Hathaway? Not me. I like her movies. As for what she's like personally, I don't know her and have no opinion. I've never heard anything negative about her. Maybe the OP should provide some cites.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

She was married to the man for over 30 years, and the only thing he leaves her is the "second-best bed"?!? Obviously something's not right there; granted, it's kind of a "he-said, she-said" situation, but given the he's widely considered to be (to quote Wikipedia) "the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist", lots of people will naturally take his side without knowing what was really going on in the marriage.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:27 PM

After I saw her in the movie Get Smart, I thought she was just amazingly beautiful and a great actor too. I can't imagine that many people would hate her - except perhaps because there is a very large segment of people who just love to "pile on".

So maybe, when one or two people begin to "pile on", many others will join in for some mysterious reason.

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 03-05-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBuckner View Post
She was married to the man for over 30 years, and the only thing he leaves her is the "second-best bed"?!? Obviously something's not right there; granted, it's kind of a "he-said, she-said" situation, but given the he's widely considered to be (to quote Wikipedia) "the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist", lots of people will naturally take his side without knowing what was really going on in the marriage.
I imagine Bill would be difficult to cope with. Hanging around London theaters, spending hours and hours in pubs writing sonnets, and did he ever send her flowers on her birthday? I very much doubt it.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:09 AM

I don't pay a lot of attention to Anne Hathaway one way or the other. I don't recall having seen any of her movies. I'm sure she's perfectly nice.

She has an enormous mouth, though. Kind of a Joker grin, really. Her gaping maw takes up half of her face.

Other than that, she's quite lovely.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:39 AM
Charter Member

I heart Anne Hathaway, and if The Dark Knight Rises was prevented from being a good movie, it can only be because they didn't cast Adam West as Batman (honestly, the Batman movies have been taking the character so fucking seriously, starting with Tim Burton's version. I can't even see the point of watching them these days).

That said, after Eartha Kitt did Catwoman, no one else needed to have even tried. Trying to do better than her interpretation of the character is a fool's errand.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleaday View Post
I imagine Bill would be difficult to cope with....spending hours and hours in pubs writing sonnets..
Yeah, well, about that. If it weren't for 'Billy Bard' getting all sappy over Anne, we'd have fewer of those schmaltzy sonnets. And he could've used the extra time to finish that sequel to Macbeth he was always talking about in the pub.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_diego View Post
She's rich, beautiful, and privileged.
I think that's it too. She's been privileged her whole life. Through no fault of her own.

We are talking about the current actress, yes?
Old 03-06-2016, 01:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
honestly, the Batman movies have been taking the character so fucking seriously, starting with Tim Burton's version. I can't even see the point of watching them these days).
Aside: it's really a tribute to the influence of the Silver Age comics and TV show that a character that started out as grim and dark and is currently known for being grim and dark is so associated with lighthearted camp because of that ONE relatively brief period when he was.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Yeah, well, about that. If it weren't for 'Billy Bard' getting all sappy over Anne, we'd have fewer of those schmaltzy sonnets. And he could've used the extra time to finish that sequel to Macbeth he was always talking about in the pub.
Well, that's a good point, although I thought he was getting sappy over a fellow -- one reason poor Anne got stuck with the second-best bed.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:40 AM

What I hear the most is that she "tries too hard", whatever the hell that means.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I wasn't aware people hated Anne Hathaway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
I've never heard anything negative about her. Maybe the OP should provide some cites.
I actually only opened this Thread to see if it was a zombie Thread that had been reopened because of some recent new event. Truth is, Anne Hathaway hatred is old news and not nearly as much of a thing as it used to be. The Cracked article linked above is from the summer of 2014- and even that, I'd say, came as the hatred was cooling off a bit. The Cracked article links to a December 2012 Buzzfeed article- that was more in the Hathaway hatred heyday.

By the time Intersteller came out in fall of 2014 I think it was all a thing of the past. Sure, there were and probably are still individuals who hate Anne Hathaway for whatever their reasons but Hathaway hatred as a cultural phenomenon proved to be no more than a fad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
What I hear the most is that she "tries too hard"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post
I can't imagine that many people would hate her - except perhaps because there is a very large segment of people who just love to "pile on".

So maybe, when one or two people begin to "pile on", many others will join in for some mysterious reason.
Yeah, it was very much a pile-on kind of a thing with the rallying cry being that she was artificial/too "perfect"/and, as Alessan recounts, "tries too hard". Many people hated hated her Oscar acceptance speech. Her opening line, gazing at the statuette, "You came true!" really made people's stomachs turn- it was like she was giving a performance rather than being sincere and in the moment.
Now, this was the same year that Jennifer Lawrence also won (Hathaway won Supporting Actress for Les Miserables while Lawrence won Best Actess in a Lead for Silver Lining's Playbook). Everyone adored Jennifer Lawrence because she was "real", a woman who burps and farts and falls down. People placed Anne Hathaway and Jennifer Lawrence at opposite ends of a spectrum. Lawrence was the one people could imagine having a beer with.

That's all just an explanation of the cultural phenomenon. I didn't agree with it then and I don't agree with it now -although, again, I don't really think it's a thing anymore, I really did expect this to be a zombie thread.

Last edited by bienville; 03-06-2016 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienville View Post
I actually only opened this Thread to see if it was a zombie Thread that had been reopened because of some recent new event. Truth is, Anne Hathaway hatred is old news and not nearly as much of a thing as it used to be. The Cracked article linked above is from the summer of 2014- and even that, I'd say, came as the hatred was cooling off a bit. The Cracked article links to a December 2012 Buzzfeed article- that was more in the Hathaway hatred heyday.
The Dope always tends to be a few years behind the rest of pop culture. There was a recent Kanye West thread where several people were claiming to be hearing about him for the first time (or at least claiming they'd never heard any of his music).
Old 03-06-2016, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Maybe they just don't like the fact that she puts up with all of Mr. Drysdale's BS.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's all just an explanation of the cultural phenomenon. I didn't agree with it then and I don't agree with it now -although, again, I don't really think it's a thing anymore, I really did expect this to be a zombie thread.
Me, too, except I didn't really because there were so few posts. ISTR the older thread as having reached at least page 2.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I actually only opened this Thread to see if it was a zombie Thread that had been reopened because of some recent new event. Truth is, Anne Hathaway hatred is old news and not nearly as much of a thing as it used to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
The Dope always tends to be a few years behind the rest of pop culture.
The Dope is usually quite current on pop culture, it's just that there are some Dopers who not only do not pay attention to pop culture but they also do not pay attention to what gets discussed on the very messageboard to which they contribute:

Thread Title: "Do People Hate Anne Hathaway?"
Thread Started: Feb 25th 2013
Responses: 161
http:// boards. straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=683493
(Broken Link to attempt to avoid waking a sleeping Zombie)
Old 03-06-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsun View Post
Not sure why she would be hated more than Chris Brown. As far as I know, she's never physically assaulted her partner. In my book, Chris Brown ranks wayyyy up there on the "most hated" list.
right below should be DL Hughley for defending him.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:43 AM

She won't return my phone calls.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I wasn't aware people hated Anne Hathaway. Can you give some examples?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
She won't return my phone calls.
This must be it.

Seriously, she's gorgeous and she's a pretty good actor. I see no reason to "hate" her, but then I don't go out of my way to follow gossip about her. She isn't a public nuisance, like Jenny McCarthy is. And she doesn't seem to make a public buffoon of herself, like Gwyneth Paltrow does.

Last edited by Acsenray; 03-06-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-celebr...eserve-part-4/

They look at a Buzzfeed article, which seems to list the following reasons:

Her Face.
She Looks Stupid.
She Ruined "The Dark Knight Rises"
She ruined "Love and Other Drugs."
She ruined "Ella Enchanted"
She ruins everything.
I laughed out loud reading your cite:

"That she's hated is not in dispute; there wouldn't be an entire BuzzFeed article on the subject if the hate wasn't real. BuzzFeed doesn't deal in trivia".

My amusement highlighted in red.

Last edited by Magiver; 03-06-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:22 AM

I wasn't aware anyone hated her. I assumed she had a lot of fans from movies like Havoc and Love&Other Drugs. I'm not clear how she got so successful otherwise, she doesn't seem to be more than an average actress to me, but I haven't seen all her movies.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

OK, so the Oscars co-hosting gig with James Franco was a low point in awards-show hosting and they deserved much humiliation for it. But really, I agree it looks more like a case of "She's hot, rich, privileged and is not everyone's best buddy; therefore, let's put her down, the bitch."

So as an actor she's no Meryl Streep... yeah, and so? BFD.

(IMO Hathaway was perfectly cromulent in the role of Selina as reinterpreted for TDKR, FWIW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
Aside: it's really a tribute to the influence of the Silver Age comics and TV show that a character that started out as grim and dark and is currently known for being grim and dark is so associated with lighthearted camp because of that ONE relatively brief period when he was.
Yes, we gotta consider that prior to the Dolan/Bale movies, millions more people alive had seen the 60s TV show than ever laid eyes on one of the Golden Age or post-1970s comics(*). And the last two installments of the 1990s movies did not help.

(*plus there were PRE-1990s cartoons such as SuperFriends, based on the Silver Age versions)

Last edited by JRDelirious; 03-06-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsun View Post
Yeah, but have you seen that guy dance? You don't just find talent like that by tossing a rock down the street. It could take two rocks!
Old 03-06-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
Maybe they just don't like the fact that she puts up with all of Mr. Drysdale's BS.
Niiice... but once she sues the pants off that bank and can hire Jethro to clean out her "ce-ment pond", she won't care what anyone thinks of her.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:45 PM

Some have speculated that the Hathaway family coerced Bill into what would probably have been referred to back then as a blunderbuss wedding.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
Nah..I think people hate her because she drove buzzed that one time and got in the accident that killed her brother.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Who hates Anne Hathaway? Not me. I like her movies. As for what she's like personally, I don't know her and have no opinion. I've never heard anything negative about her. Maybe the OP should provide some cites.
I think that she's hated kind of like Justin Bieber is hated by metal heads. I think that the real problem is an overabundance of cutie pie.

I'm wanting to say that I didn't notice any of it, tho, until she was in Les Miserables.

Last edited by handsomeharry; 03-06-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:10 PM

I don't hate here, but for some reason, I am much more likely to recognize her from a picture than I am most celebrities (I'm not very good, in general). Maybe that means there is something odd about her look, though I can't put my finger on just what. But if I did hate her, I would have lots of occasion to say so, because I always recognize her.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Y'know, she probably wasn't the right actress for Catwoman in the recent Batman movie (though I'm not sure off the top of my head who they should have cast), but that doesn't reflect on her; it reflects on the casting director. There are plenty of roles that she is right for.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:43 PM

Did she actually have lines as Catwoman? So far as my memory is concerned, it was largely a non-character. The only requirement seemed to be looking sexy in close fitting black pants and, in my mind at least, she exceeded the requirement.

And I don't mean that as a put-down, like she's only any good for looking pretty. So far as I can tell from the films I've seen her in, she's a perfectly reasonable actress. But, dissing her because of her role in the Batman series feels like it would have to have more to do with the role itself than her part in it, because it just wasn't much of a role. I don't know what one would have to base the criticism on.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 03-06-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:46 PM

I'm pretty sure it's totally a case of sour grapes. She's extremely attractive, seems nice, is a decent actress, seems to be very stylish, and on top of it all, seems to go out of her way to be nice. Kind of a won the lottery kind of situation.

I can totally see how a more petty segment of the population would find that galling, and accuse her of being fake, etc...
Old 03-07-2016, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

She got a lot of hate for hosting the Oscars so badly. But that wasn't her fault. She's an actress, used to reading lines, and is not skilled in ad libbing like a comedian is. Further, her co-host James Franco (also an actor) vanished halfway through the ceremony, putting more on the burden on her. It was a bad idea, but she did the best she could.

She's a fine actress and charming presence. I can't understand the hate, either.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:31 AM

I also think she was overexposed. She was the hot thing after Brokeback Mountain - and eventually you just start to tire of the hype and overexposure.

Jennifer Lawrence seems to be getting some of this backlash now. She went from fresh and adorable to "oh God, not more of HER."

Once women are successful, we tear them down by saying they aren't nice, or they are funny looking, or their skills are overrated. We do this to a lesser extent with men.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
... And she doesn't seem to make a public buffoon of herself, like Gwyneth Paltrow does.
This. I think she's just getting Gwennie's sloppy seconds hate.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Did she actually have lines as Catwoman? So far as my memory is concerned, it was largely a non-character. The only requirement seemed to be looking sexy in close fitting black pants and, in my mind at least, she exceeded the requirement.

And I don't mean that as a put-down, like she's only any good for looking pretty. So far as I can tell from the films I've seen her in, she's a perfectly reasonable actress. But, dissing her because of her role in the Batman series feels like it would have to have more to do with the role itself than her part in it, because it just wasn't much of a role. I don't know what one would have to base the criticism on.
She had a lot of lines, search for Selina. She and Batman/Bruce had a lot of conflict, both physical and verbal. IIRC she helped motivate him to get back on the job. By the end of the movie they were coordinating and working together.

I think the reason people don't like her is she comes off as a bit too smug. I like her though.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:26 PM

She's a 6 at best but for some reason keeps getting roles that should go to an 8-9.

Chris Brown is way worse, though. That anyone give that piece of shit and his work attention infuriates me.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black rainbow View Post
She's more hated than Chris Brown.
More hated than the man who "inspired" the novelty song Chris Brown Should Get His Ass Kicked?!
Old 03-07-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBuckner View Post
It's true. The number one reason to hate Anne Hathaway is that she calls herself Anne Hathaway.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

Is that not her original name?
Old 03-08-2016, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Is that not her original name?
It is her birth name.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsomeharry View Post
I think that she's hated kind of like Justin Bieber is hated by metal heads. I think that the real problem is an overabundance of cutie pie.

I'm wanting to say that I didn't notice any of it, tho, until she was in Les Miserables.
I meant the hatred, not the cutie pie.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:26 AM

I spent the past three weeks thinking "How could handsomeharry not have noticed until Les Miserables that Anne Hathaway was a cutie pie!?!?!?!?!?" Thanks for clearing that up, handsomeharry. I feel a bit more comfortable living in this world now.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerosa View Post

Jennifer Lawrence seems to be getting some of this backlash now. She went from fresh and adorable to "oh God, not more of HER."
I wish I could remember where I read things, but at the height of JLaw's adoration, probably when she won the Oscar for Silver Linings Playbook, someone said, "we all felt this way about Anne Hathaway at one point, too." Which I didn't fully understand because I didn't realize "we" had turned on Hathaway. I still like her. And I also felt like Lawrence was in a different category. Unhateable. But I think you're right. Lawrence's aww shucks appeal may be wearing thin.