Old 04-02-2016, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Erasers on pencils

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne-42 View Post
Thank you. How intriguing - I've only looked at "Adventures in Stationery" so far. So don't Americans use the term "stationery" or use pencil cases? Just the blog ad for it has been illuminating.

I haven't seen a pencil case in the wild since I was in third grade.

I mean, I have plenty of them myself, and I know artists who use them, but not among the general public.

"Stationery" is very well known in America, but it means things you write on, not things you write with.

A piece of paper is stationery. A pencil is not.

Last edited by Acsenray; 04-02-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Advertisements  
Old 04-02-2016, 09:33 AM

Yes we do use both.

Ninja'd by Ascenray. Agree with Ascenray's post, but also, pencil cases also come in soft form these days, e.g. a zippered pouch meant to hold pencils and other writing instruments, to be tossed into a brief case or backpack. I have some of those.

Last edited by Bullitt; 04-02-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:43 AM

Pencil cases are something I associated with school and schoolchildren*. I'd have thought not many adults routinely need access to a lot of writing implements.

*In my day, it was this sort of thing, rather than today's zippered fabric:
http://img1.etsystatic.com/011/0/678...40021_2eqk.jpg
Old 04-02-2016, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

It's probably been 5 years since I last used a pencil in any form*. Other than signing my name I probably write barely 10 words per month using a pen in any form.

Keyboards on the other hand ...

=======
* Upon further reflection I recall I used a carpenter's pencil to mark a measurement to cut something last month. Before that it was over a year since my last measure-mark-and-cut. Definitely many years since I used a pencil to write a word. Bloody nuisance the things are.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 04-02-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
It's probably been 5 years since I last used a pencil in any form*. Other than signing my name I probably write barely 10 words per month using a pen in any form.

=======
* Upon further reflection I recall I used a carpenter's pencil to mark a measurement to cut something last month. Before that it was over a year since my last measure-mark-and-cut. Definitely many years since I used a pencil to write a word. Bloody nuisance the things are.
Golfers will probably always use a pencil (usually no eraser!) An App just doesn't cut it.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Don't you guys ever write a grocery list? Address an envelope? Write a check? Yes, some things are easier to do by hand instead of on the computer. Takes no time at all to write something on a list. And I do write some checks (property tax for one thing. Which is not to say my handwriting is all that good any more.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Don't you guys ever write a grocery list? Address an envelope? Write a check? Yes, some things are easier to do by hand instead of on the computer. Takes no time at all to write something on a list. And I do write some checks (property tax for one thing. Which is not to say my handwriting is all that good any more.
My grocery list is on my phone synced to my other tablets & computers. As are all my other to-do lists & such. That way I always have it / them with me.

I have an address document with the handful of places I regularly send snail mail to. I'm already sitting at my computer when writing a check, so why not highlight the address & click "print"?. Much easier than fumbling with trying to write it out long hand. I still need to have the correct address stored someplace and that someplace is my computer, not a paper name/address book. Hand copying something I'm already seeing on my screen is what sounds bass-ackwards to me.

Almost all my checks are done through e-bill-pay. I write about 3 physical checks a year.

To be sure, these are all choices and one could use a pencil or a pen & paper just as well. I was hand-addressing envelopes and writing paper checks en masse as recently as 5 years ago. And keeping to-do lists in little short-pocket sized spiral-bound pads. Then I changed over to my current approach and haven't looked back.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 04-02-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:13 PM

I am a writer and have a pencil case with my erasable pens and highlighters inside a pencil case with other stuff like pencils, and eraser, sharpener, scissors, glue and backup memory sticks. That goes with me from the house to my office - which is a study about 20 metres away in the garden. The pencil case is in the basket with my 5 mm grid notebooks, each covered different coloured paper and plastic contact. That basket is my office.

I have another pencil case with all sorts of pencils and associated detritus next to my chair so I can draw and scribble when watching TV. There are more pencils and note books next to my bed in case I think of something. I use a paper diary - made myself from a 5mm grid exercise book - because I have never found a commercial one which works for me.

I am a technology devotee - my laptop, iPad and iPhone also get a good workout every day. I just love the feel and sound of paper and using these implements. It's all about feeling creative and enjoying the tools of my trade. I am a non-fiction writer, so reality rules, but I just love my pens, pencils and paper. My publisher gets the manuscript electronically, of course!

Last edited by lynne-42; 04-02-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post

=======

This is a big reason why the teaching of cursive writing is being removed from our schools today.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:14 PM

I write code for a day job. Emacs being my weapon of choice for text wrangling. But I find that I cannot be usefully creative as the paradigm of text editor isn't flexible enough. Pencil on paper is vastly more flexible. Whiteboards can be good but you need to take photos so they are not self documenting.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Vaughan View Post
Whiteboards can be good but you need to take photos so they are not self documenting.
One of my employers had a whiteboard where you'd just press a button and out comes a sheet of thermal paper with your drawings. This was in 1995. I'm sure they do all sorts of things now.

P.S. If I had to use emacs for any purpose at all, I'd feel a lot less creative too.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickLondon View Post
Pencil cases are something I associated with school and schoolchildren*. I'd have thought not many adults routinely need access to a lot of writing implements.

*In my day, it was this sort of thing, rather than today's zippered fabric:
http://img1.etsystatic.com/011/0/678...40021_2eqk.jpg
I guess that's what most people think of, yeah... Okay maybe I'll be displaying my true inner geekness here but I have this pen/pencil case in my pocket just about every single day: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1721254...&ul_noapp=true

Not that exact one but something very close. Is it pricey? Heck yeah. But it keeps the pens from wearing out my pockets (holes and wear spots), and if a pen leaks it'll help contain that leak. But three instruments together in that case also help to keep the pens from bending, thereby minimizing the chance for a leak.

I also like that mine is of very supple cowhide, nice to the touch. When I first got it I put a plastic pen cap in one of the sleeves, to help protect my mech pencil's point. The pencil point goes into the cheap pen cap, easy peasy. Over years the leather has gotten broken in and loose. I now carry five (count 'em, 5!) items in the case:

► a Rotring 600 retractable pen. Why Rottring? Because they take Parker refills which write extremely well and aren't too expensive. A good value, those refills. The pen was a little expensive but I've had the very same pen now for over 10 years. The pen case too, over 10 years. I tend to not lose things.
► the matching Rotring 600 0.5 mech pencil. Both pen and pencil fit into one sleeve now, since the leather has been broken in, with the pencil tip into the plastic disposable pen cap. The pen sticks out a little, it's not bad.
► a yes, as posted above, a Staedtler Mars plastic eraser. I told you I carry it around with me. I rarely use it, though. That's in the middle sleeve along with a...
► a Sharpie. You never know when you'll be asking for someone's autograph. I once ran into A's pitcher Dave Stewart on a plane, STL-SFO, and he obliged me. Yes I asked him, even though he destroyed my beloved Giants in the 1989 World Series. He signed a dollar bill with, Dave Stewart #34, 1989 World Series MVP. I loved that! Truly funny. But he was kind and genteel, saying sorry that his A's swept my Giants 25 years ago. The Sharpie and eraser fit together in the middle sleeve of that pouch. Sharpies come in handy but yeah, I look like a true geek when I say here you go, I have one with me. People look at me sideways funny.
► a 'tactical' pen-like flashlight. It is similar to this one: http://www.securitydefenseweapons.co...-self-defense/. The reason is because it can be taken on flights (TSA allowable), the hard point could come in handy (imagine, if you will, you're in a car that goes into a river and sinks. You may need to break open a window like right NOW! to get out). Just one use case for that tactical hard point, and a flashlight is handy although many phones have them now. But if you're under water your phone may not work but that tac light will. And yes, people also look at me sideways funny when I say, yes I have a flashliht with me, here you go.

In a pinch, the Rotring 600 can also serve as a tactical hard point. It's pretty sturdy.

Okay, that's way more information than you needed or wanted but so be it, I walk around each and every day with a pencil case that holds those things. Truly geeky, I admit.

And the zippered fabric pencil case? That holds highlighters, spare batteries and different color pens and is tossed into my backpack which is my attaché case for work (laptop and such). SW engineer, Silicon Valley, I am usually in the office in shorts and sandals and a nice shirt. That's how I usually travel too. The casual look, business casual. The slacks and shoes and ties come out whem I'm at my destination.

Whew! Sorry for the long post.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by core View Post
One of my employers had a whiteboard where you'd just press a button and out comes a sheet of thermal paper with your drawings. This was in 1995. I'm sure they do all sorts of things now.
Used to have one of those too. Downside is expense - you don't get one on every office wall, and lack of resolution. They were essentially Fax machines with a wide scanner. Couldn't resolve fine detail, and didn't have colour. Nor was the output automatically collated into my notebook. Photographing a whiteboard allows you to put the pictures directly into your workflow system. There should be whiteboards that do that by now, but if they are restricted to meeting rooms, they still don't cover the needs.

P.S. If I had to use emacs for any purpose at all, I'd feel a lot less creative too. [/QUOTE]

Ha! Text editors as a "rather fight than switch" beast. Given the choice between emacs plus LaTeX, versus Word, there is no contest. Word is simply not suitable for purpose for almost any serious task. The trouble with most computer based tools is that it is very hard to capture the information flow properly - without forcing your thought patterns into the mould of the software. Probably the most destructive of all software has been Powerpoint. Never has one product do utterly damaged the thing it was supposed to help more than this one tool. I have had a play with an Apple iPad with their magic Pencil. This could develop into something worthwhile. The nuances possible with the hardware plus the resolution of the display make it close to usable.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
My newest toy--disposable fountain pens. (Haven't exhausted any yet--and there are ways to refill them.) Good for notes at work--yes, I use cursive. (I write some notes on documents at work, where those dull waterproof ballpoint are required.)

Visiting pen shops is apparently one of the highlights of Tokyo tourism. This online source is even called Tokyo Pen Shop. Yes, they have pencils & erasers, too....
Old 04-03-2016, 09:11 AM

RE: "There should be whiteboards that do that by now, but if they are restricted to meeting rooms, they still don't cover the needs."

"Smart Boards" are used a lot in schools (I believe our middle school has one in every classroom)

Here's the 'brand name'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Board

I think there are others that don't have to mount projectors/cameras to the ceiling.

Last edited by UncleFred; 04-03-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:17 AM

No Eraserhead jokes yet? The Dope is slacking...
Old 04-03-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke View Post
My newest toy--disposable fountain pens. (Haven't exhausted any yet--and there are ways to refill them.) Good for notes at work--yes, I use cursive. ...

Visiting pen shops is apparently one of the highlights of Tokyo tourism. ...Tokyo Pen Shop. Yes, they have pencils & erasers, too....
I may have to sell the house before this thread is over. The Amazon link to disposable fountain pens linked it to a whole lot of books on penmanship. I am really really keen to try that too. I've just joined a calligraphy society.

And a trip to Tokyo. Oh dear.

Last edited by lynne-42; 04-03-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Who would name their kid Hymen?
Unless some fancy Greek, every English-language Hyman you see was born with the common name Chaim (the throat clear begins the word), "Life," in Hebrew.

Now back to reading this thread...
Old 04-04-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
This is a big reason why the teaching of cursive writing is being removed from our schools today.
Cursive script was originally developed to preserve quill pens. Apparently, the act of lifting and replacing them on the paper increases the chance of damaging them. So cursive was technically obsolete before any of us learned it.

In college, I quit using cursive for note-taking completely; I could write as fast, and with higher legibility, by using block letters.

For the grocery lists mentioned, I usually recopy a list my wife writes (in cursive) so I can read it dependably.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:24 AM

In my Office, where pencils and erasing are still important, I prefer the Staedtler ones with attached erasers, because they run down quickly enough not to get hard, and it's quick. But we also have normal block erasers for rubbing out longer text.

Most pencils don't run down to the stub, but disappear when they're half-length (I think Douglas Adams speculated where pens disappear to? Pencils must have a similar reason...)

A local shop specializing in hand-made and rare things offers erasers to put on naked pencils - http://www.manufactum.de/aufsteckrad...2319/?c=172213 - but they suffer from hardness and smearing graphite.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by constanze View Post
In my Office, where pencils and erasing are still important, I prefer the Staedtler ones with attached erasers, because they run down quickly enough not to get hard, and it's quick.
Link please? I searched and there are different pencils.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:58 PM

Looks like the OP's question remains unanswered. There's absolutely no reason not to have a pencil equipped with a built-in eraser. It's convenient, even if it has a tendency to smudge or wear off quickly, and the cost difference is negligible.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:43 PM
Elephant Whisperer

5 must-have stationery items you can buy in Japan
Old 04-04-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Cool, and Frixion is on that list too.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal View Post
Looks like the OP's question remains unanswered. There's absolutely no reason not to have a pencil equipped with a built-in eraser. It's convenient, even if it has a tendency to smudge or wear off quickly, and the cost difference is negligible.
I think the answer is close to what Henry Petroski described in his book. It is historical. The idea and patent was in the US, and manufacture was US based. Patent was voided after two years, and more competition started to add erasers. But Europe had its own manufacturers and there was little to no importation of US made pencils. So Europe remained happy with eraserless pencils. Furthermore, in the US the ferrule for the eraser became a component of the cosmetic branding of the pencil, whereas in Europe, the painted end (with a rang of colours and stripes created by dipping the end in paint) created a rounded end that was the vehicle for cosmetic branding. Both markets cheerfully did their own thing. There was never enough of a fundamental advantage of having an eraser on the end for the idea to gain much traction in Europe, and so it didn't happen. A ready supply of very high quality stand alone erasers in Europe probably made the eraser on the end of the pencil even less useful.

Market expectations drive the supply. If your market expects an eraser on the end, you had better have one. If your market doesn't expect one, it is probably not a good idea to add one.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Who would name their kid Hymen?

People called Kaplan.

v. Bernhardi ---- Germany and the Next War
Old 04-05-2016, 05:43 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claverhouse View Post
People called Kaplan.
No, that was Hyman Kaplan. Not quite as bad as Hymen but pretty close.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Vaughan View Post
So Europe remained happy with eraserless pencils. Furthermore, in the US the ferrule for the eraser became a component of the cosmetic branding of the pencil, whereas in Europe, the painted end (with a rang of colours and stripes created by dipping the end in paint) created a rounded end that was the vehicle for cosmetic branding.
It's not even completely cosmetic: Staedtler's pencils have different ends depending on hardness, so if you have a bunch of pencils in a jar you can pick the right one by looking at the tail.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLir View Post
Cursive script was originally developed to preserve quill pens. Apparently, the act of lifting and replacing them on the paper increases the chance of damaging them. So cursive was technically obsolete before any of us learned it.
Please provide a cite for that claim.

When you do, please note that what method you are referring to when you say "cursive." Copperplate (like the Declaration of Independence) is drawn by an entirely different method than Palmer (what your granny used when writing a check). Copperplate requires lifting the pen with every stroke, by the way. Palmer doesn't.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:43 PM

I don't think I've ever even used a pencil, with or without an eraser. I know what they are but why? Kind of like using a quill pen.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Upthread I said I hadn't used one in years, so I'm not some pencil enthusiast calling you out.

How old are you that you've never used a pencil?
Old 04-06-2016, 09:50 PM

I wonder if there is a cultural element as well. It strikes me that the Germans (and the Japanese) tend to be less willing to accept lower quality in exchange for convenience.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamforbrains View Post
I don't think I've ever even used a pencil, with or without an eraser. I know what they are but why? Kind of like using a quill pen.
Pencils are so last century. Why use an outdated technology when we have pens. Just like books. Why would I read a murdered tree when I can read the internet.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
You've never painted the triangle yellow and so forth?
Old 04-08-2016, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
I've always hated conventional graphite-core wooden pencils anyway. I placed a high value on sharp lines and small-but clear writing, and those pencils got too dull too quickly, necessitating frequent sharpening - and each time you broke the tip, you had no choice but to resharpen.
Were you using a "pencil sharpener"? You should have been using a sharpening knife and either a file or a piece of sandpaper. You sharpen up the tip with the sandpaper, and when the tip becomes too short you carve off some more wood with the knife. Which doesn't stress and break the core.

But like you, I shifted to mechanical pencils with fixed-width leads. In my case, because I wasn't any good at drafting, and needed all the help I could get.

[The kids in the school here are still using pencils with no eraser. Pencils with erasers are cheap Chinese imports, and the erasers are never taught in schools]

Last edited by Melbourne; 04-08-2016 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
You've never painted the triangle yellow and so forth?
Painted the triangle yellow?
Old 04-08-2016, 07:01 AM

As a little child, exercises painting inside the lines, to teach colors and shapes and exercise coordination and manual dexterity. "Paint the triangle yellow... pain the square red... pain the circle blue..."

Last edited by Nava; 04-08-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:34 AM

Oh okay, thanks.

Nothing like painting the town red, which I think is an American saying.

Last edited by Bullitt; 04-08-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:23 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer72 View Post
Pencils with erasers make better desk top drum sticks than those without.
Well, that settles it.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
Where is this unified nation of 'Europe' of which you speak?

I am sat here, in my British office, using a pencil with an eraser (rubber) as we debate. And the rubber is, indeed, smudging my sketches.
This. Europe is not a country. In Europe there's are many countries and they have pencils with erasers.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Okay, that's way more information than you needed or wanted but so be it, I walk around each and every day with a pencil case that holds those things. Truly geeky, I admit.

And the zippered fabric pencil case? That holds highlighters, spare batteries and different color pens and is tossed into my backpack which is my attaché case for work (laptop and such). SW engineer, Silicon Valley, I am usually in the office in shorts and sandals and a nice shirt. That's how I usually travel too. The casual look, business casual. The slacks and shoes and ties come out whem I'm at my destination...
Business casual...I see all that worn with short-sleeve dress shirts. Say it ain't so.

And socks with the sandals. * shudder *

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 04-10-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Socks with sandals is my favorite combination.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:40 PM

And by chance, I was reading this last night:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie the Pooh, A A milne
When Pooh saw what it was, he nearly fell down, he was so pleased. It was a Special Pencil Case.

There were pencils in it marked "B" for Bear, and pencils marked "HB" for Helping Bear, and pencils marked "BB" for Brave Bear. There was a knife for sharpening the pencils, and indiarubber for rubbing out anything which you had spelt wrong,
[...]
"Was Pooh's pencil case any better than mine?"
"It was just the same," I said.
He nodded and went out ... and in a moment I heard Winnie-the-Pooh - bump, bump, bump - going up the stairs behind him
Old 04-13-2016, 06:48 PM

How is it possible for anyone alive today to have never used a pencil? For elementary school art classes if nothing else?

My daughter is in 3rd grade in a well-off district, and they have iPads and computers, but plenty of their work is still done with paper and pencil. The pencils have erasers, by the way.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Socks with sandals is my favorite combination.
There are some of you out there. But yeah, * shudder *
Old 04-14-2016, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Proof that many people, myself included, need to get a life. TWO pages on pencil erasers???! Hard to imagine a more trivial topic.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I have a computer and several types of pens at my desk. And i also have my trusty Dixon Ticonderoga pencil, with its useful eraser. I like the way it feels when i write with it. I like the precision of the extremely fine point i can put on it, and i like being able to erase. I don't use it every day, but i use it often enough that it earns its spot on my desk.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post
I think that might be what jtur88 actually meant by 'degrade' - the rubber dries out or continues curing after manufacture, or something.
It's oxidizing. Ozone is a big culprit. Same thing causes rubber bands to get brittle and break.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:31 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
Proof that many people, myself included, need to get a life. TWO pages on pencil erasers???! Hard to imagine a more trivial topic.
Key fobs.
No...
Paper clips! A thread on which size is the best. I believe there are three, but I see no reason for the tiny ones, or the large ones. A bundle of paper that thick needs a clasp.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
The number of posts per page is not a fixed number; it's set by the user (within certain limits).