Old 03-30-2016, 07:56 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Captain Kirk Hit with $170-Million Paternity Suit

Story here.

I believe Shatner is not the father, because ... wait for it ... he only ever went where no man went before.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Story here.

I believe Shatner is not the father, because ... wait for it ... he only ever went where no man went before.
That was only a five year mission though.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
That was only a five year mission though.
Yeah, you should seen the shit he did after that.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:52 PM

Call me naive, but I don't understand how there can even be a dispute about paternity nowadays. Someone says you're their father, you say you're not, a DNA test settles the question with 99.9+% accuracy. Why the tsuris?
Old 03-30-2016, 09:56 PM
BANNED

some places like France have banned paternity tests because they're misogynistic

how dare you accuse a female of lying!
Old 03-30-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSXer View Post
some places like France have banned paternity tests because they're misogynistic

Not in court, though. Only independent, private tests have been banned under the idea of "keeping the peace", whatever that means.

In this case, more probably it's the Shatner side the one refusing to go through it.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:10 PM

I just hope this kid won't eventually be a real cling-on.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
That doesn't even make sense. That just means he only slept with virgins. (and if they did get pregnant, it would certainly be his )

Last edited by Rigamarole; 03-30-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
That doesn't even make sense. That just means he only slept with virgins. (and if they did get pregnant, it would certainly be his )
"That'd be the butt, Bob"
Old 03-30-2016, 10:35 PM

I. Did. Not. Have. Sexual. Relations. With. That. Woman.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
The allegation is that he had an affair.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSXer View Post

No, that's not the reason private paternity testing is banned in France. The French have no problem with acknowledging that sometimes women lie, or with allowing individual men to accuse individual women of lying.

The ban is based in the (IMO dubious) position that family relations are determined socially rather than biologically, so a man who voluntarily undertakes a paternal relationship with a child should not subsequently undermine it by questioning the child's biological parentage.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:04 PM

By the way, of course it's still perfectly legal to contest paternity in France, and the courts will order a paternity test to resolve the dispute. What's banned is surreptitious private testing without the formal consent of one or more of the individuals being tested.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:19 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

He was given up for adoption. How does that even work? Anyone who gives a baby up for adoption can tracked down and sued?
Old 03-30-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
He was given up for adoption. How does that even work? Anyone who gives a baby up for adoption can tracked down and sued?
Yeah, this suit should be dismissed on that basis alone. Once he was adopted, all rights and responsibilities of his birth parents were terminated.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Hey Paula View Post
Yeah, this suit should be dismissed on that basis alone. Once he was adopted, all rights and responsibilities of his birth parents were terminated.
Agree. Unless the birth parents have deep pockets, apparently.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Hey Paula View Post
Even if the child was born out of wedlock and the father never acknowledged him?
Old 03-31-2016, 12:45 AM

I don't think anyone, including the OP, has actually read the article.

This is not a paternity suit. The guy is suing because Shatner was mean to him on Facebook and Twitter. $170 million dollars worth of mean.

Quote:
Sloan alleges that Shatner's social media director posted "malicious, libelous and slanderous statements about the Plaintiff (Sloan) on Facebook and Twitter."

Last edited by blue infinity; 03-31-2016 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:52 AM

I scanned the complaint that was linked in one of the articles. It's a pro se suit--meaning that the guy that filed it doesn't have a lawyer. I suspect it may not survive a motion to dismiss.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:27 AM

"Florida-based radio host" why does that short description explain everything to me, hmm?

Also, "Peter." Lame. He can change both names at the same time, should've gone with "KHAAAAAAAN Shatner" (sic).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
The ban is based in the (IMO dubious) position that family relations are determined socially rather than biologically, so a man who voluntarily undertakes a paternal relationship with a child should not subsequently undermine it by questioning the child's biological parentage.
But isn't that pretty much the rule in most other countries like the US (allowing for 50 states with different laws)? After some specific point, biological parentage doesn't matter. Waited until your kid was 10 to test the genetics and found out it's not yours? Tough shit, you're the father.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
I scanned the complaint that was linked in one of the articles. It's a pro se suit--meaning that the guy that filed it doesn't have a lawyer. I suspect it may not survive a motion to dismiss.
How dare you slander him! You'll hear from his lawyer!
SPOILER:
If someone wants to correct me and say that it's libel, then you just ruined the joke.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:30 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue infinity View Post
I don't think anyone, including the OP, has actually read the article.

This is not a paternity suit. The guy is suing because Shatner was mean to him on Facebook and Twitter. $170 million dollars worth of mean.
The article says it is a paternity suit. It's the title of the article. You have to further click on the PDF to see what exactly he is being sued for. The plaintiff seems like a nut. I don't think there is much of a story here.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
But isn't that pretty much the rule in most other countries like the US (allowing for 50 states with different laws)? After some specific point, biological parentage doesn't matter. Waited until your kid was 10 to test the genetics and found out it's not yours? Tough shit, you're the father.
In some states, it sort of works the other way too. It's a law that goes back to before DNA tests, but it still stands. If a woman names a man as the father, and he accepts it without requesting a test, she can't change her mind later.

EXAMPLE: woman has affair with X while married to Y. Gets pregnant with X's child. Y is father on birth certificate, and five years go by during which Y forms bond with child; woman wants divorce, and asks for full custody on the basis that Y is not "real" father. Wife is SOL. She named him the father; he is on the birth certificate, he IS the father.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Also, "Peter." Lame. He can change both names at the same time, should've gone with "KHAAAAAAAN Shatner" (sic).
I would have gone with something classy, like "Tiberius".
Old 03-31-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I would have gone with something classy, like "Tiberius".
Tiberius? thats the worst - lets name him after your father.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

So it's really more of one of those "fool sues for absurd amount of money on lame grounds" stories.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
In some states, it sort of works the other way too. It's a law that goes back to before DNA tests, but it still stands. If a woman names a man as the father, and he accepts it without requesting a test, she can't change her mind later.
Right. The people involved/named are given a "window" to establish, contest or question putative paternity -- but you gotta use it or lose it, and accept that doing so may/will antagonize the parties involved (as well as a segment of outside observers).

Last edited by JRDelirious; 03-31-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:07 AM

This can't be true, because:

"Klingon bastard killed my son."
Old 03-31-2016, 09:42 AM

I didn't look - but how old is the kid? Shatner's pushing 80??
Old 03-31-2016, 10:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Even if the child was born out of wedlock and the father never acknowledged him?
...even if he was born on Genesis & stabbed in the back by Christopher Lloyd....
Old 03-31-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
I didn't look - but how old is the kid? Shatner's pushing 80??
59. Shatner's 85.

Unrelated, but- I didn't realize that he and Nimoy weren't speaking at the time of Nimoy's death. This is by Shatner's own admission in his book about Nimoy. Does anybody know what the falling out was about?
Old 03-31-2016, 10:19 AM

Is the plaintiff light green?
Old 03-31-2016, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, that's not the reason private paternity testing is banned in France. The French have no problem with acknowledging that sometimes women lie, or with allowing individual men to accuse individual women of lying.

Does the ban only apply to such cases? If that's the rationale, there's no reason it would apply if a woman shows up with a kid the guy never saw before and claims that he's the father.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
Is the plaintiff light green?
He wants to be painted greener.

$170M greener.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:40 AM

"Get us out of here, Scotty !"
Old 03-31-2016, 10:45 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
So it's really more of one of those "fool sues for absurd amount of money on lame grounds" stories.
I think it's more likely "nut sues for absurd amount of money."
Old 03-31-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
59. Shatner's 85.

Unrelated, but- I didn't realize that he and Nimoy weren't speaking at the time of Nimoy's death. This is by Shatner's own admission in his book about Nimoy. Does anybody know what the falling out was about?
According to an interview I listened to, Shatner doesn't even know.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post

Right. The people involved/named are given a "window" to establish, contest or question putative paternity -- but you gotta use it or lose it, and accept that doing so may/will antagonize the parties involved (as well as a segment of outside observers).
It used to be a lot harder to get a man's name on a birth certificate if the couple isn't married. When I was a candy-striper in the mid-1980, I was on a maternity floor for a while. A man needed a court order to be named father even if he was by his own acknowledgement the father, the couple lived together, and he was present for the birth-- heck, if he filled out all the paperwork, he couldn't put his own name down as "father" without a court order.

It's different now. Aside from the marital presumption, if a man simply writes his own name down on the form for registering the birth, then he's the father. The couple doesn't have to be married. Any guy who is present at the birth sort of gets the marital presumption, because doctors and nurses don't bother to ask if they are married. The only time a woman needs some kind of court order anymore is when the father is overseas in the military, and they are not married. Or, at least, that was true when my husband was stationed in Iraq and his roommate's girlfriend was pregnant. He spent his leave getting the paperwork done. I said "Why didn't he spend it getting married?" Apparently they wanted a big wedding after he got home. Good luck on that with a baby to take care of.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
"Get us out of here, Scotty !"
"I'm giving her all I've got, Captain, but my poor engines just can't take any more!!"
Old 03-31-2016, 01:34 PM

Being rude to him on social media is worth $170 million.
So if I sent him a friend request and he doesn't friend me or like any of my statuses, is that worth $50,000? Or $25,000 maybe?
Cause I'm not a greedy man, I just want a new car.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:39 PM

Is the child green?
Old 03-31-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogSothoth View Post
Is the child green?
Only if his mother was an Orion slave girl.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Being rude to him on social media is worth $170 million.
So if I sent him a friend request and he doesn't friend me or like any of my statuses, is that worth $50,000? Or $25,000 maybe?
Cause I'm not a greedy man, I just want a new car.
I've "shat" before. Does that make me 57% Shatner, and thus part of the family?
Old 03-31-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Well, according to Hollywood Reporter, as of last month Shatner still didn't know why Nimoy stopped speaking to him late in his life.
Quote:
"I just don't know, and it is sad and it is permanent. I don't know why he stopped talking to me."
NY Sun sez that Shatner included footage of Nimoy in a film without Nimoy's permission, and that was the cause.
Quote:
When Leonard Nimoy died, he hadn’t spoken to William Shatner in five years. Nimoy shut him out after Shatner filmed him without permission for a documentary he was making about the captains of the Starship Enterprise.

“I thought he was kidding;” Shatner writes in his new book, “Leonard.” “It was such a small thing.”

Last edited by Kimstu; 03-31-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
From what we know of Shatner, I'm betting it was more than that and I'm betting Shatner knows exactly what he did.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:

There's a way to accomplish non-biological relationships, it's called adoption, not refusing to allow paternity tests.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:55 PM

"We, the Jury, find for the plaintiff. Here's a dollar. Now put on your big boy pants, suck it up and get on with your life."
Old 04-06-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
This can't be true, because:

"Klingon bastard killed my son."
The movie before that is where I think he probably got the idea in the first place.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogSothoth View Post
Is the child green?
Joke already made in post 30.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:34 PM

How many quatloos is that?
Old 04-07-2016, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Story here.

Captain Kirk Hit with $170-Million Paternity Suit. No, sorry, Captain Kirk is a fictional character. No one is suing him.

Last edited by DrDeth; 04-07-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Captain Kirk Hit with $170-Million Paternity Suit. No, sorry, Captain Kirk is a fictional character. No one is suing him.
You mean my Klingon wedding was a sham!? I wish you told me that before I killed her other suitors in battle!