Old 05-03-2016, 03:29 PM

Does anybody else get that 'internal bowel movement pain' occasionally?

Hi, and my apologies for what's about to follow, but having clicked this thread, I have a feeling you'll be alright with this sort of thing..

What I'm talking about here is that feeling, maybe once every couple of months, when prior to a good trip to the toilet, there's sometimes a strange internal dull ache.. extremely painful too. It lasts maybe 3 seconds, and then it's gone. It's obviously something moving inside, but how common is this?

I friend of mine several years ago spoke of the same feeling.. but so far he's the only one I've ever heard say this. I've not read about it either.. but then again, how many people talk about their bowel movements.. whilst still inside? (the glory is in the final result)

Oh and in case anybody is wondering... yes this is a serious thread.

So who has experienced this,? What is it? Why is it so painful?
Advertisements  
Old 05-03-2016, 03:33 PM

I get it on occasion, it never concerned me. I assume everyone has it now and then, people just don't talk about it. Because it's gross.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:38 PM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you talking about gas pains? Because I'm pretty sure they're common.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:55 PM

The pain you describe is common for all of us I think. If it's only for brief duration and only a few times a year then don't worry. If the frequency or duration was more then you may want to consult a professional.

What it is I don't know. Likely there is more than one possible cause.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:13 PM

I always though the occasional intestinal cramping was pretty common.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:19 PM

I've always assumed it was gas pains. After all, farting is often a sign that a bowel movement will be needed soon. Or, as my father used to put it, "Where there's smoke, there's a cigar."
Old 05-03-2016, 04:20 PM

Don't even get me started on my wide variety of intestinal pains. But my last colonoscopy was plump, pink and perfect - so why worry?
Old 05-03-2016, 05:19 PM

Where is the pain in relation to your belly button or your hip bones (or any other anatomy)?
Old 05-03-2016, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

It's probably the pressure of gas moving through the intestines, but it could also be un-adsorbed water. That's why the pain is often felt in cases of diarrhea.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:32 PM

It's not a gas pain. That's different. It feels like, for a brief few seconds, that a water melon is moving through.. and it's not a localised feeling - more right at the depths of the torso.

I'd just like to say, I'm 100% sure it's natural, and not a sign of anything (I've had it all my life), but just intrigued about something nobody talks about.. and what it is exactly..

My theory - a big lump moving into the body's own green room in anticipation for tonight's appearance.. but damn it can be painful.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitario View Post
My theory - a big lump moving into the body's own green room in anticipation for tonight's appearance.. but damn it can be painful.

The colon is the green room. Why not call it the brown room ?

Long story short, the colon is having trouble with being full .... A bit more... seemingly due to some initiating event (such as gas leaking past turd back toward the large intestine, or fresh content arriving at the start of the colon.. ) the colon and large intestine go bezerk and do some really strong peristalsis squeezes to move turd and gas into the anus end of the colon. There is room in the colon and so it all fits in and the peristalsis settles down.

You get continual pain when the colon is really full (if only full with gas eg due to constipation causing a gas blockage - a larger diameter turd that interrupts the normal flow of gas .. the person doesn't feel the need to fart.. ) and the peristalsis doesn't return to normal.

Last edited by Isilder; 05-03-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:01 PM

I've had that. It was indeed a movement because after a while it's time to poop. Not very often then that I think it's the rough part of the stool rubbing on the wall irritating it or pinch it against the pelvis.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:29 AM

If you have to hold in a bowel movement (say, you get called to a 2-hour meeting and don't get a chance to 'release the hounds' before), these can occur with some regularity (say, every 5-10 mins).

3-5 seconds long, grit your teeth, guaranteed to occur just as your boss asks for the financial forecast for next year.

I always assumed it was just the heavy vehicle maneuvering onto the exit ramp.

YMMV.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:34 AM

I think the pain, if felt in the left lower quadrant near the left hip, might be related to the turns the large intestine makes as it changes from the descending colon to the sigmoid colon and rectum.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disor...e-of-the-colon