Old 05-04-2016, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
Human beings don't come with an off switch, and knocking someone unconscious or drugging them into unconsciousness is pretty difficult without risking serious injury or death.
I know you're not saying this doesn't happen, but that kind of thing does actually happen, it's just amazingly hard to predict which blow's gonna do what:

(Spoilered because it is real, but it is just a terrifying hockey check.)
SPOILER:

Mark Messier turned Mike Modano off like a light switch, and Modano was conscious shortly afterward. It's certainly not the kind of thing I'd like to have happen without a medical crew around, but apparently Modano was none the worse for wear afterward.

To hear some people in NY tell it, that's a shoulder check to the side of the head. Others say he got hit with an elbow the jaw. Either way, that's also not the classic "whomp on the back of the head".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengangmo View Post
is it a regional thing? I've travelled in NZ, Oz, through parts of Asia (Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia) and have seriously never seen it in 42 years...
I have seen "door hold" on goods lifts, but never an honest to god "stop" that would hold the elevator between floors
The building I used to work in had an elevator with a "stop" switch. I was actuated by pulling to prevent the elevator from being stopped accidentally by people leaning on it, so it wasn't strictly a button. I was alone in the building 90% of the time, and often bored while taking a trip in the elevator, so I pulled it many a time. That one stopped the elevator dead whether you were traveling up or down. You get all wobbly as your legs catch the sudden increase in load on the way down, and you get somewhere near tossed in the air on the way up, accompanied by an annoying alarm both ways. The few stoned friends who were in it when I pulled it were awful disturbed.

And for a nitpick: up to about 1970, and beyond depending on the model, hotwiring a car is just yanking and crossing the right wires from under the dash in the right sequence. That's all your ignition key used to do, without the yanking. Locking steering wheels made it require more than that.
Advertisements  
Old 05-04-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
And random people cannot go into any business, especially hospitals, hack into their computers and change stuff. Especially paternity tests.

The TV show leverage does this one, and Alex is a superhero in that respect. Elliot is the hitting someone unconscious superhero.
I like that show a lot, but it's more fantasy than reality based. It out Star Treks Star Trek.

Not to mention their "EMP" gun, that not only destroys only electronic systems it is pointed at, but only knocks them out "for a while". It's the "hit on the head/make you unconscious" unreality, but for electronics.

The later seasons got so bad at this stuff that some episodes are unwatchable.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Likewise, going through plate glass usually just makes you dead.
I've done that. I didn't die. But it was...very uncomfortable and very messy. A lot of bodily fluid leakage.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
I always roll my eyes when one character calls another character and says, "turn on the TV". The call recipient invariably turns the TV on and it's not only tuned to the correct channel for the news broadcast, but the story is just now beginning. Most markets have several local stations, as well as the normal four news channels, and yet the one that's needed pops up immediately... and they've been holding the related news story for just the right moment.
My personal remembering-9/11-story begins with me getting up late and reading an e-mail from my wife that just said "Turn on the TV." My first guess was that India and Pakistan had nuked each other. I knew it had to be bad if all I had to do was turn on the TV and I'd get the news immediately. But in movies, key-riminey, the news is always related to the protagonist. Yes, we all understand about the need for dramatic compression. It still makes our eyes roll. Now at least we can fix this issue by having the news clips uploaded to YouTube or something.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Seconds on screen matter, and no one wants to wait while the new smart plasma TV and cable box boot up, unless it is plot related. No one wants to watch people circle blocks in NYC looking for parking then walking blocks to get where one really wants to go in a 22 minute sitcom. Some things need to be let go for the sake of expediency in moving the plot.
To some extent you're right. Time is everything, and saving time matters. Ten seconds of wasted time is an eternity.

However, a lot of these things are lazy writing. The "turn on your TV" bit, for example, can be avoided by simply not using the incredibly lazy, hackneyed plot device of having a character impart information to another by telling them to turn on the TV. It's become a cliche, so the stupidity of it is irritating in that it can be avoided.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
I was actuated by pulling to prevent the elevator from being stopped accidentally by people leaning on it, so it wasn't strictly a button.
<Department of Corrections>Umm, that should read "It was actuated", I can be actuated by pulling, but I am not sure what you would be stopping.</DoC>
Old 05-04-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
People do not fall in love wit their stalkers and/or rapists.
except on rare occasions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt_Pugach
Old 05-04-2016, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengangmo View Post
I've never yet seen a "stop" button in an elevator.

It's incredibly difficult for one car to catch another that has a head start and trying to escape. Especially within a city with multiple routes a car can disappear with virtually no chance of finding it within 60 seconds. (and yes, I outran a chasing car with a 20 second head start and "lost" it in a subdivision)

Already mentioned - but a van is not going to keep up with sports car

Rooftops are generally locked and inaccessible without the proper authorisation / keys.
The worst example of this I've ever seen is in the movie Spy. Melissa McCarthy is chasing a bad guy on foot and sees him get in a car and speed away. She gets aboard a moped with a roof on it, and the moped falls over, ho ho. She crawls out of it cracking jokes, then gets on another moped, and takes off after the guy. She catches him in about 10 seconds. He was driving a BMW 5 Series. Oh, and this scene took place in the wide-open flat streets of...Rome.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Well, I see two overlapping circles. I've got funny eyes, mind you.

Here's a brief scientific explanation of how the effect works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSBruN0p-Ochttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSBruN0p-Oc
Old 05-04-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
Mentioned many times before but may as well bring up office building sprinklers here. Holding a lighter up to a sprinkler will not drench the entire building in water - it will only activate the sprinkler head that you held the lighter under. There's a tiny glass bubble on each unit that breaks under heat - if no heat breaks the glass in other sprinkler heads, they do not activate...
Also the sprinkler system is not connected to the fire alarm system. Pulling the fire alarm will not automatically turn every sprinkler in the builder in. No business/school/etc in their right mind would ever install a system like that.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:57 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I have seen "Stop" buttons in elevators, but now that I think about it, not in recent years. I remember friends and me clowning around by pushing it to make the elevator stop suddenly. I think sometimes it was a switch, sometimes a button. sometimes an alarm would sound if we tripped it, sometimes not. But that was a long time ago. They may have stopped including those.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:44 AM

Don't forget breaking bottles over someone's head. A real beer or wine bottle will generally bounce and hurt like hell. Bottles don't break that easily.

You can't just zoom in on security videos and then play around with it and get a good close-up look at the logo on someone's hat. All you're going to see are a bunch of pixels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
In response to up-thread observation about how difficult it is to start a modern-day car by hotwiring: some apparently Olde Timey thieves tried to steal my BMW by randomly pullling wires and jamming a screwdriver into the ignition.
My driver's ed teacher told us how to start a car using a screwdriver in the ignition, but he was a bit more precise. Granted, this was a good twenty years ago, so I imagine locks and such have changed over the years.

Quote:
I know you're not saying this doesn't happen, but that kind of thing does actually happen, it's just amazingly hard to predict which blow's gonna do what:

(Spoilered because it is real, but it is just a terrifying hockey check.)
SPOILER:

Mark Messier turned Mike Modano off like a light switch, and Modano was conscious shortly afterward. It's certainly not the kind of thing I'd like to have happen without a medical crew around, but apparently Modano was none the worse for wear afterward.

To hear some people in NY tell it, that's a shoulder check to the side of the head. Others say he got hit with an elbow the jaw. Either way, that's also not the classic "whomp on the back of the head".
Except nowadays they're finding out that's not necessarily the case. Just because you recover quickly from being knocked out doesn't mean there isn't lasting damage. Ask a lot of former athletes. It can take a few days for a concussion to show up. Back then they just called it "getting your bell rung", but now they realize, it's much more serious than that. I'll bet Modano was certainly feeling it for awhile, but in those days guys just accepted it as part of the game. Now? Not so much.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
And for a nitpick: up to about 1970, and beyond depending on the model, hotwiring a car is just yanking and crossing the right wires from under the dash in the right sequence. That's all your ignition key used to do, without the yanking. Locking steering wheels made it require more than that.
And for another nitpick (although this is another losing battle like ATM machine and PIN number), it's SHORTwire. (Because you start the car by shorting two wires.)
Old 05-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

And when was the last time you carried home your groceries in a brown paper bag with a baguette sticking out of it.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:25 AM

"It's just a flesh wound"
Old 05-05-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
And when was the last time you carried home your groceries in a brown paper bag with a baguette sticking out of it.
Probably the last time I bought a baguette.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
You can't just zoom in on security videos and then play around with it and get a good close-up look at the logo on someone's hat. All you're going to see are a bunch of pixels.
10-12 years ago I worked in a retail distribution center. One of the maintenance guys had climbed up on one of the movers and was working on it when the cloth he had tied around his wrist (stupid idea) got caught and one of his fingers was torn off. Because it was a workplace accident, we had to review the security footage.

The best we got was "Well, that one dark pixel there is probably him".

Of course, an episode of Star Trek TNG did it even worse, having the computer extrapolate and identify an unknown person standing BEHIND someone else, from just a thin sliver of their hair.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fachverwirrt View Post
Your grocery doesn't provide baguette bags? Call the Health Department!
Old 05-05-2016, 09:39 AM

Baguette bags are against my religion.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:12 AM

I watched 30 minutes of "the Revenant" and saw Leo not only get his throat crushed and survive unscathed (didn't even rub his throat) but also get torn apart by a Grizzly and get sutured up in filthy conditions and somehow not die of infection.

Yet earlier in the year I thoroughly enjoyed James Bond's latest escapades BECAUSE IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY.

I'm glad I read this thread because my friends are always mad at me for my low tolerance of "Hollywood" bullshit and I see I am not alone!

Last edited by koufax; 05-05-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
Oh, and this scene took place in the wide-open flat streets of...Rome.
C'mon, Rome has flat streets!

Somewhere.

Maybe in Cinecittą?
Old 05-05-2016, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Except nowadays they're finding out that's not necessarily the case. Just because you recover quickly from being knocked out doesn't mean there isn't lasting damage. Ask a lot of former athletes. It can take a few days for a concussion to show up. Back then they just called it "getting your bell rung", but now they realize, it's much more serious than that. I'll bet Modano was certainly feeling it for awhile, but in those days guys just accepted it as part of the game. Now? Not so much.
Well, these days, he might not practice the next day and might miss the next game after having what's pretty obviously a stage 3 concussion. That's far from having life changing brain damage and skull fractures or being fated to die soon. I've personally busted my head on concrete hard enough to split my helmet, and bruise my head through it. I was quite loopy for a few minutes afterward, and couldn't tell you what day it was. I haven't had any long-term effects from it, not even neck problems.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
And for another nitpick (although this is another losing battle like ATM machine and PIN number), it's SHORTwire. (Because you start the car by shorting two wires.)
I'm not sure I understand your nitpick. When you connect two wires, you aren't necessarily shorting them to ground. In the case of a starter, you're completing the circuit that's sending current to the solenoid, it passes to ground after it's done it's work there. Ignition is a more complex thing, but you're more likely to stop the car by shorting that system's electrical supply to ground. Unless that is, if you're meaning that we think of electron flows as being backward when we think positive and negative poles of a circuit. Because yes, in some sense, I'm providing a path to ground for the device I want to do work. If I'm not mistaken, it happens in that switch (but I could totally be mistaken).

If you're saying that you short circuit the intended circuit (which includes the lock you're bypassing), yeah. That's shorting the circuit in the technical sense (possibly the best sense).

Ehh, I'm probably unnecessarily confusing "shorted out" with "shorted".

If you're just saying the wires under the dash were short: yeah, GM and Ford are especially bad about not giving you extra wire, the cheap bastards.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:33 PM

I've always wanted to shoot a gun through a pillow as a makeshift silencer. My guess is I'll end up with a loud bang and lots of feathers.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I was far from home, and the bag was neither brown nor paper, but you'd better believe I hiked through the Swiss Alps with a baguette sticking out of my backpack.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Don't forget breaking bottles over someone's head. A real beer or wine bottle will generally bounce and hurt like hell. Bottles don't break that easily.
Brown beer bottles (Molson, Bud, Coors-style) break like in the movies if opened. Unlike the movies, they tend not to do a damn thing. Unless the attacker is to stab with the mouth, or pound with the bottom, the latter usually being inneffective.

Edit: sealed bottles can be hard to break when hitting a blunt object, like a head. They are also usually pretty damn effective.

Cite: multiple bottles smashed over my head. Seen many more smashed over other people's heads.

Last edited by Drummond Bays; 05-05-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummond Bays View Post
Cite: multiple bottles smashed over my head. Seen many more smashed over other people's heads.
Do I want to know?
Old 05-06-2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:

My 1969 Ford Galaxie 500 was quite popular with Cambridge car thieves. After the second time they scooped out the ignition and couldn't drive it thanks to the locking steering column I wired up a switch and a button in the glove box to start the car.
Which worked fine until they towed it away for the metal.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare4roach View Post
I've always wanted to shoot a gun through a pillow as a makeshift silencer. My guess is I'll end up with a loud bang and lots of feathers.
I can provide firsthand experience on this subject. I had a roommate who was cleaning his .22LR revolver, who then loaded it, cocked it, and carried it back to his room. A teeny bit on the worried side about why he would cock it before going back there, I followed. He wrapped the pistol up in his pillow, and shot it into the floor (don't worry, ground floor apartment, no basement).

It had an audible report, but it was a lot less loud than the same gun without the pillow. It was no louder than a hand clap. The same pistol when fired in the bathroom sans pillow was about as loud as a black cat firecracker in the same space. Loud enough to make your ears ring, but not so loud that you were momentarily deaf.

So, it does kind of work. Plus, for a few months of my life someone besides me was the terrible, crazy roommate.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:09 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koufax View Post
I watched 30 minutes of "the Revenant" and saw Leo not only get his throat crushed and survive unscathed (didn't even rub his throat) but also get torn apart by a Grizzly and get sutured up in filthy conditions and somehow not die of infection.
People were tougher back then, dontcha know.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:04 AM

The roads always just clear enough for car chases too. There's never a traffic jam or not enough room for cars to zig and zag through traffic.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Of course, an episode of Star Trek TNG did it even worse, having the computer extrapolate and identify an unknown person standing BEHIND someone else, from just a thin sliver of their hair.
Well, they are a couple hundred years in the future. Who knows what Apple can come up with?
Old 05-06-2016, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can provide firsthand experience on this subject. I had a roommate who was cleaning his .22LR revolver, who then loaded it, cocked it, and carried it back to his room. A teeny bit on the worried side about why he would cock it before going back there, I followed. He wrapped the pistol up in his pillow, and shot it into the floor (don't worry, ground floor apartment, no basement).

It had an audible report, but it was a lot less loud than the same gun without the pillow. It was no louder than a hand clap. The same pistol when fired in the bathroom sans pillow was about as loud as a black cat firecracker in the same space.

Ground floor or no ground floor, yet another reason I'm not in the landlord business...
Old 05-06-2016, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have to say I saw this all the time in France, where people buy bread daily. But it was usually a reusable bag or plastic.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Charlie View Post
... ventilation ducts in all commercial buildings are large and sturdy enough to support multiple adults. ...
And you can't slide through them without getting hurt. They always make it look like it might be fun, like a water slide just without the water. The edges of sheet metal are sharp!!
Old 05-06-2016, 12:19 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fachverwirrt View Post
Facts at his fingertips.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:19 PM

Rewatching Fringe has reminded me that in real life, most medical injections do not require inserting the entire needle into the patient.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

A discussion about blood donors in movies.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
Ground floor or no ground floor, yet another reason I'm not in the landlord business...
Believe it or not, that was one of the apartments where I got my entire deposit back after leaving. Most of a fine arts degree and some paint goes a long way!

Last edited by scabpicker; 05-06-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:22 PM

In TV and movies no one has screens on their house windows. Try that in real life, and you wind up with a house full of bugs or stop opening your windows.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koufax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
People were tougher back then, dontcha know.
[Grandpa Simpson]" I fell eight thousand feet onto a pile of jagged rocks. Of course, folks were tougher in those days. I was jitterbugging that very night."[/Grandpa Simpson]
Old 05-06-2016, 09:28 PM

Thankfully I have no personal experience. but I do know that:

If you step on a land mine, it will not not make an audible click and wait to detonate until you remove your foot. It will simply go boom as soon as sufficient weight is placed on it.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedd View Post
No matter the distance or wind conditions, a sniper aims directly at their target.
Well, the movie Shooter went into great detail about curvature of the earth and wind conditions.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Inside of a Michael Bay film, everything explodes.
In The Simpsons, everything explodes. The Flying Nun exploded when she fell out of the air.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:50 PM

If you pour gasoline on the ground on throw a lit cigarette/match/lighter in the puddle, all that happens is it will go out. Gasoline ignites when it is atomized and the air/fuel ratio needs to be within a certain range.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:55 PM

zwede: Don't bet your life on it. A lit match in a puddle of gasoline might ignite it. I've played enough amateur pyromaniac to know the odds.

(I agree, though, that it is somewhat counter-intuitive. The first time you toss a lit match into a puddle of gasoline, and the match just goes out, is one of life's many "WTF" moments.)
Old 05-07-2016, 03:18 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
In TV and movies no one has screens on their house windows. Try that in real life, and you wind up with a house full of bugs or stop opening your windows.
Where I grew up in West Texas, we had screens on all the windows and did still open them in the summer. We have screens on all the windows of our home here in Bangkok and sleep almost every night with the windows open. (In both places, the windows could and can be open with the screens closed. That's no problem.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwede View Post
If you pour gasoline on the ground on throw a lit cigarette/match/lighter in the puddle, all that happens is it will go out. Gasoline ignites when it is atomized and the air/fuel ratio needs to be within a certain range.
As a young punk in West Texas, I would do this to anthills, and the pool of gasoline most certainly did flare up when I dropped a match onto it.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 05-07-2016 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Where I grew up in West Texas, we had screens on all the windows and did still open them in the summer. We have screens on all the windows of our home here in Bangkok and sleep almost every night with the windows open. (In both places, the windows could and can be open with the screens closed. That's no problem.)
Yes, that is the point of having screens.
The poster was saying without screens you have the choice of bugs or closed windows.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
As a young punk in West Texas, I would do this to anthills, and the pool of gasoline most certainly did flare up when I dropped a match onto it.
Was the pool deep enough to cover the match? That's what's shown on TV. I never was enough of a punk to burn ants but I figure your puddle was mostly soaked into the mount so the match didn't go out. It stayed lit long enough to ignite the vapors.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwede View Post
Was the pool deep enough to cover the match? That's what's shown on TV. I never was enough of a punk to burn ants but I figure your puddle was mostly soaked into the mount so the match didn't go out. It stayed lit long enough to ignite the vapors.
It's been 50 years. I just remember the gas igniting. What you say could be true.