The Hunt for Red October movie: What did Alec Baldwin say? (and a possible spoiler)

I saw this question on “another board,” but I have wondered about it, too:

When Alec Baldwin is in the “missile room” with the KGB/GRU agent, who is about to cause a lot of trouble, he says, “It’s the goddam *[agent].” Then he says something to him in Russian, probably, as he (Baldwin) points the gun at him.

The question: “What did he say?”

*That’s the spoiler that I tried to dance around.

I had to drop Russian 101 after mid-terms, but I’m pretty sure he said “I also have the newspaper, Svetlana.”

I know zero Russian, but good scriptwriting would be for him to repeat his borderline insult in the language of the target of his insult. So, I’ve always assumed he said something like “Just a goddamn [you know].”

Seems to me he says, “Its the goddamn cook!”. But I never took Russian, so he might have actually said, “Its the goddamn I’m sleeping with Kim Bassinger!”

At least that I what I would have said if I was him. :wink:

JamesCarroll wins the Golden Ear award. That’s just what he said.

I think the OP knows that in English Baldwin said “It’s the Goddamn cook” but put the word “agent” in instead of the word “cook” and explained via the asterisk that he didn’t want to post a spoiler.

I think the question is: What did Baldwin then go onto say in Russian?
Or am I misreading, and you guys are saying that Baldwin said the same (“It’s the Goddamn cook”) only in Russian?

Sir Rhosis

I think you’re right. Thanks for setting me straight; I didn’t read the OP carefully enough.

(For the record, though, I’m of the view oft-held in these parts that one shouldn’t worry about spoiling a ten+ year old movie.)

Oops, you’re right. I didn’t read it carefully enough either. The Golden Ear, though, I’m keeeping.

It was delicious.

Coincidentally, I needed to learn that exact dialect of Russian when I was in that gulag back in 1942 …

What he is actually saying is, “Bend over, this won’t hurt much.”

Glad I could help.

That’s exactly what I was saying, Sir Rhosis.

Here’s what Baldwin says in Russian:

Ostav’ eto v pokoye!

Literal translation is “Leave it in peace!” The closest English translation is “Leave it alone!”

This is said to the cook as the cook is tampering with some of the sub’s nuclear doo-dads.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a bunch!