Is it safe to throw away a microwave oven?

I have an old (non-working) microwave oven I want to get rid of. Is it safe to just throw it away in the dumpster? I thought I read once that there’s a plate inside that has to be disposed of a certain way - as with car batteries. One of my co-workers suggested that cutting the plug would be sufficient.

I’d call City Hall, but I’m sure I’d get some clerk with no clue what I was talking about.

If there is ANY way to get it working again, I’d recommend a few experiments. Namely, I would like you to make lightning.

• Microwave ovens are safe to throw in regular trash. The active part is a vacuum tube. You can cut the plug if it makes you feel better, but anyone halfway detirmined can fix the cord. -Toying with microwave oven innards is a Dumb Thing, normally minimized by Darwin’s theory of evolution.
  • What the person might have been thinking of instead was smoke detectors, most of which use a tiny bit of mildly radioactive material that technically isn’t supposed to end up in the regular landfill. - MC

I believe smoke dectectors for residenial use are exempt from the hazzardous waste catagory and can be landfilled with coffee grinds.

You can throw away a microwave if: [ul][]**You set it on "defrost’ []door is shut** :D[/ul]

This is true – smoke detectors can be legally landfilled, along with pretty much everything else that comes from a household. That doesn’t necessarily mean that’s the best place for it. Smoke detectors should be sent (by surface shipping, not air) back to the manufacturer for disposal. You should be able to find the manufacturer’s information on the back cover.

Yes, in case you were wondering, household hazardous waste IS my life.

Why not consider donating it to a charity? The Goodwill in my neighborhood accepted an old, non-working microwave from me.

You might also want to find out if it’s actually legal to dispose of a microwave in a landfill in your state. From http://www.sdearthtimes.com/et0595/et0595s2.html

Or how about taking it to a recycling center?

Jeg elsker dig, Thomas