Old 06-26-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
True, but he's clueless regarding certain bits of the world at large anyway.
I'm willing to believe that he's both a troll and a moron but I don't agree that being a moron means he can't qualify for the troll label.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:51 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

The two aren't mutually exclusive, sure, but there's also Hanlon's Razor.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 06-26-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
But would they turn their lives around? I'm betting people like this get little flashes and ignore them.
Sometimes those little flashes are many different women telling them "I'd date you but I won't date your drinking". But nooo, the reason he couldn't get laid wasn't his drinking: it was his Roman nose, which pre-surgery had gone perfectly well with the rest of his Roman profile.

Even after a dozen of us told him post-surgery that we liked him so long as he was sober, he'd rather have his whisky. But it wasn't him choosing a bottle over a bed: it was us not knowing what we were missing

Last edited by Nava; 06-27-2016 at 02:13 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merneith View Post
Can we talk about the fact that dougie_monty claims to have a 22 yo Mercedes and he's incapable of finding the air conditioning buttons?

That has to be straight up trolling. I refuse to believe that anyone who can't operate a car air conditioning unit is capable of signing up for a message board.
Man, you guys are tough!

This really isn't surprising. On that year model car, the buttons for the AC are not very intuitive. There is nothing that says AC, there is no snowflake, no nothing. You have a thermostat wheel (which may be in F or C, but I'd guess it is in C) and a row of buttons. Of the five buttons that control vents and only one engages the AC. One shows the familiar windshield icon (defroster), the next has two solid arrows (one up and one down), the next one is like the one prior, but the up arrow is only outlined, the next one is like the prior one, but between the outlined arrow and the solid arrow are the letters "EC", and the final one is just a big "O".

Here is a picture.

Now, maybe you could guess at which one would turn on the AC, but if the AC doesn't work, you would have no way of knowing if it was because you didn't press the correct button or if the AC was just non-functional.

Quote:
Oh and he can't figure out how to get Uber on his Samsung 5, either.
OK, I think this is just a reading comprehension issue. It isn't that he can't figure out how to get Uber on his phone, it's that while he could get a Uber driver to take them to Christmas Dinner, they couldn't get one to pick them up and take them home. Too late on Christmas Day, I'd figure.

I find it surprising that people who feel they are some of the smartest and hippest people on the planet have an inability to understand somebody else's troubles.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
I believe Urbanredneck isn't a troll, he's just very stupid and unable to grasp it.
Perhaps, but I was kind of struck by his behavior in this thread, where he posts something more or less reasonable in post 35:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...0&postcount=35

Then four posts later, decides for whatever reason he just has to let the dogs out:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...4&postcount=39
Old 06-27-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excavating (for a mind) View Post
Now, maybe you could guess at which one would turn on the AC, but if the AC doesn't work, you would have no way of knowing if it was because you didn't press the correct button or if the AC was just non-functional.
Dude there's only 7 buttons and a dial. Two of them are clearly fan controls. Three of them and the dial are obviously an increase/decrease of something. Probably temperature. Of the remaining two buttons, one is something to do with airflow and one is the Letter O ... which is presumably the orgasm control.

I guess how long it would take to figure out depends which of those last two buttons you try first.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Dude there's only 7 buttons and a dial. Two of them are clearly fan controls. Three of them and the dial are obviously an increase/decrease of something. Probably temperature. Of the remaining two buttons, one is something to do with airflow and one is the Letter O ... which is presumably the orgasm control.

I guess how long it would take to figure out depends which of those last two buttons you try first.
I'd want to give the orgasm control a good long test to confirm whether ir not it works. And having a fan blow me at the same time seems like a pretty good idea.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:

So, what you're saying is, you don't know how to work it, either.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:44 AM

No, but I have ten fingers and a healthy self-esteem.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:51 AM

I once had a BMW 2002 that was apparently made for the German market, because all the controls were in German ... if the key wasn't in the "fart" position ... welllllllll ... nvm ... just saying ...
Old 06-27-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Man, you guys are tough!

This really isn't surprising. On that year model car, the buttons for the AC are not very intuitive. There is nothing that says AC, there is no snowflake, no nothing. You have a thermostat wheel (which may be in F or C, but I'd guess it is in C) and a row of buttons. Of the five buttons that control vents and only one engages the AC. One shows the familiar windshield icon (defroster), the next has two solid arrows (one up and one down), the next one is like the one prior, but the up arrow is only outlined, the next one is like the prior one, but between the outlined arrow and the solid arrow are the letters "EC", and the final one is just a big "O".

Here is a picture.

This seems to be a case of trying to defend the indefensible, and, judging from a subsequent post, getting snarky about it. First of all, what reasonable person who is not a complete moron buys a car without knowing whether an important amenity like the A/C is working, let alone without even asking how to turn it on, if asking should actually be necessary?

Secondly those buttons are hardly a mystery. The only one that might need looking up is the one marked "EC", which a few seconds of Googling reveals to be an "Economy" button that turns the A/C off and illuminates a red light, and that otherwise in that particular vehicle the A/C is designed to be on by default and cool air is obtained by rotating the climate control temperature dial to the desired temperature. If the EC light will not turn off, or if it does and cool air does not come out of the vents when the temperature is dialed down, then the A/C is bust. In that case the more enterprising can actually learn how to obtain diagnostic codes. All the preceding: the result of about 20 seconds with Google.

I noticed later going to the full thread in which this was linked that other posters had also Googled the issue and come to the same conclusion. One even sent him a link to the owner's manual for the car which dougie claimed didn't exist anywhere. One might wonder why he couldn't do this himself, but since he asks later what "Skype" is (he's heard of it but doesn't know what it is) one presumes that he also hasn't heard of the Google or how to use it. In short, either an idiot or a troll.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:14 PM

This fellow is gearing up for death by mod. Read the posts leading up to that outburst for context, but sheesh.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
This fellow is gearing up for death by mod. Read the posts leading up to that outburst for context, but sheesh.
It's taking him a long time. Note the join date.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
It's taking him a long time. Note the join date.
Yeah, I was shocked. How could he, after all these years, not know that's about the worst thing you could possibly do!?!?
Old 06-27-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
This seems to be a case of trying to defend the indefensible, and, judging from a subsequent post, getting snarky about it. First of all, what reasonable person who is not a complete moron buys a car without knowing whether an important amenity like the A/C is working, let alone without even asking how to turn it on, if asking should actually be necessary?
OK, I don't believe dougie_montie paid much for the car and, from the posts he made when he got the car, I don't think he had much opportunity to question the previous owner much. IIRC, the whole deal was a way for him to get a car on a limited income. I am really not trying to defend anyone (dougie_montie is certainly capable of defending himself). I don't really think it is snarky to point out that someone who accuses someone else of being either an idiot or a troll doesn't really know what he is talking about.
Quote:

Secondly those buttons are hardly a mystery. The only one that might need looking up is the one marked "EC", which a few seconds of Googling reveals to be an "Economy" button that turns the A/C off and illuminates a red light, and that otherwise in that particular vehicle the A/C is designed to be on by default and cool air is obtained by rotating the climate control temperature dial to the desired temperature. If the EC light will not turn off, or if it does and cool air does not come out of the vents when the temperature is dialed down, then the A/C is bust. In that case the more enterprising can actually learn how to obtain diagnostic codes. All the preceding: the result of about 20 seconds with Google.
This explains a lot. You don't know what you are talking about, either; you are just repeating something you read on the internet. I doubt dougie_montie's car has any "red light" that illuminates when the "EC" button is pressed. Not to say that it is defective, but that the instructions you read were not written for the equipment in his car. But, of course, if all you are going to invest is 20 seconds of Google, you can't really expect to find out anything significant, can you?
Quote:
I noticed later going to the full thread in which this was linked that other posters had also Googled the issue and come to the same conclusion. One even sent him a link to the owner's manual for the car which dougie claimed didn't exist anywhere. One might wonder why he couldn't do this himself, but since he asks later what "Skype" is (he's heard of it but doesn't know what it is) one presumes that he also hasn't heard of the Google or how to use it. In short, either an idiot or a troll.
Actually, as far as I can tell, dougie_montie was correct. None of the links for owner's manuals posted in that other thread were for his car. I know, hard to believe some of what you find with Google isn't 100% factual, but there you have it. The 1994 Mercedes C280 is a bit of a bastard. Technically, the C-series cars did not come out until 1995. A lot of "new" features were introduced with the C-series that were not available in 1994. There were a few C280s built (although I am not sure they were built for the US market), and exactly how they were equipped from the factory is unclear. My point is that "LMGTFY" really is a bit dickish if you aren't going to follow-up to chop away all the bullshit Google throws your way when you use it. Of course, that assumes you are intelligent enough to recognize bullshit when you see it.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:46 PM

So, just out of curiosity, how many times would you need to drive to Riverside in 90 degree weather before you started pushing those five buttons to see what would happens?
Old 06-27-2016, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Put me in the group that doesn't see dougie monty as a troll; just kind of gormless and hapless.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:43 PM

And see - I'm actually in the group saying, "No one could possibly be this stupid".
Old 06-27-2016, 04:48 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

No one could possibly be that clever.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:23 PM

I think he knows how the A/C works, he's just making up shit so his whining seems more justified. In that same thread, he also complains about the cost of parking, before admitting he gets free parking with his disabled placard and he gets reimbursed for the expenses anyway.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I was shocked. How could he, after all these years, not know that's about the worst thing you could possibly do!?!?
Maybe it's not him. Maybe he left his log-in info somewhere accessible to someone who wishes to do him harm.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Well, donkeyoatey has always been a bit of a prick. Like many of us. Except I would never suggest directly to mumof4 that zombie apocalypses are totally five years ago and the only thing mysterious about Easter Island is why anybody with a boat or the price of an airplane ticket would stay. I'm a different sort of prick, more passive aggressive, and prefer to do it out of her eyeshot.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:24 PM
Graphite is a great

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Put me in the group that doesn't see dougie monty as a troll; just kind of gormless and hapless.
Points for use of "gormless." You stole that from Zotti. Admit it.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
I am really not trying to defend anyone (dougie_montie is certainly capable of defending himself).
Well, just to deal with this one point, if dougie was a cat, I don't think he'd be capable of defending himself against any reasonably assertive mouse.
Quote:
This explains a lot. You don't know what you are talking about, either; you are just repeating something you read on the internet. I doubt dougie_montie's car has any "red light" that illuminates when the "EC" button is pressed. Not to say that it is defective, but that the instructions you read were not written for the equipment in his car. But, of course, if all you are going to invest is 20 seconds of Google, you can't really expect to find out anything significant, can you?
I'm reluctant to move from a neutral opinion of yourself to the assessment as "obviously an idiot", which may not be justified, so I will withhold judgment here while pointing out the following facts.

It was you, not me, who posted a picture of what was supposed to be the A/C controls on his car. Are you able to comprehend this extremely relevant piece of information?

Based on your allegedly faultless assessment of what the controls were supposed to look like, I simply pointed out that they were not nearly as mysterious as you and your pal dougie thought they were, and that the symbols made perfect sense to most people familiar with cars and equipped with a working brain, and that "EC" meant to turn off the A/C which was always on by default. IOW, the amazing trick to turning on the A/C in that car is to do nothing, because it's always on and all you do is adjust the temperature. If the actual controls on his car look completely different than that, then you shouldn't have posted a picture that was misleading and completely irrelevant to the discussion. But from what I can tell, the general principle I described applies to all the C280 series of that model year and many subsequent ones.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:26 AM

More fun with DerekMichaels00.

Yes, America is exceptional

Quote:
... I think America is the hope of the Earth, the city on the hill, and the gem of the world. Why? Because not only were we the first modern representative democracy, but American inventions have accounted for the bulk of industrial advancement for the last 240 years, America freed the world from fascism, communism, and will do so from Islamism. ...
Old 07-01-2016, 11:39 AM

Trying to eliminate "Islamism" is a sure way to knock us off our exceptional pedestal, if one even exists.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:55 PM

What I find amazing about that thread is how quickly it Godwinized. (Of course, I shouldn't.) Ol' Derek's winning debate style leads people to semi-preposterous positions that America has done nothing good, certainly nothing original, and should be reduced to nuclear glass. Or something.

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 07-01-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
More fun with DerekMichaels00.

Yes, America is exceptional
You have to remember that Derek has reminded us at least half a dozen times, most recently just a few days ago, of how awesomely enlightened and liberal he is, and how he is a "Clinton Democrat". Sadly, the lad is feeling a bit put out these days because apparently the Democrats have moved so far to the left that they're basically Marxists now, and even Republicans have gotten far too liberal. I guess it's hard to be a good moderate liberal with all this Marxism floating about.

But at least our enlightened liberal friend can post extremely liberal threads like the one above, apparently sourced verbatim from some driveling lunatic jingoist on late-night talk radio, and start speculative threads on Republican chances in 2020 -- because rooting for Republicans is something that all liberals and Democrats are always doing. Meanwhile I presume he will be voting for Trump even though The Donald is far too much of a leftie and too soft on Muslims.

Or perhaps Derek is just a brain-dead fuckwit.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:46 PM

My favorite...troll?...gibberish-spouting loon?...is back after a month hiatus, and Dunmurry is interested and hoping for more comments and thoughts and so on actually then. I eagerly await his next new thread then.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:19 PM

A real gem, that one: 159 posts in 14 years, of which 110 are thread starters, and none make any sense. A true master of run-on unpunctuated illiteracy. His most remarkable hiatus was the ten years of blessed absence prior to 2014, but as Colibri speculated, someone must have inadvertently said his name three times, and **poof**!
Old 07-06-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
My favorite...troll?...gibberish-spouting loon?...is back after a month hiatus, and Dunmurry is interested and hoping for more comments and thoughts and so on actually then. I eagerly await his next new thread then.
I opened his thread before putting on my glasses this morning, and read his username more accurately.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:49 AM

Classic Jinx thread. I know it's cliche, but one has to wonder how that guy remembers to breath... But he certainly puts a lie to the old maxim that there are no stupid questions!

Last edited by John Mace; 07-07-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:52 PM

There's levdrakon in the Should-the-military-accept-deaf-people thread:

He starts out fairly reasonably:
Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post
The US military is big on equal opportunity. Deaf people should have the same equal opportunity as everyone, which means serving in combat units and the ability to hold command positions in combat units. If we can't guarantee EO, then we're discriminating

Then:
Quote:
We could afford deaf interpreters for every deaf person wanting to join the military.
Then:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Can we afford assistants for every blind person wanting to join the military?
Sure. Take the F-35's budget.

I'd rather have a deaf person watching my back than an F-35.
When Ravenman challenged him to provide facts and evidence, he counters:
Quote:
You'll get that, when you give me a dollar value on why Deaf Peeps can't serve their country.
And later:
Quote:
Ooh, you got me. I just dropped off the turnip truck onto this board today!

How about you address the OP? Do you have a reasoned opinion on why the DoD budget can't accomodate Deafs? Are we broke? OMG, we just can't defend ourselves if we let those Deafies in! Our budget can't handle it! OMG!
Old 07-11-2016, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

It seems that JohnClay is off his meds again
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:18 PM

I'm thinking this one has some potential.
wasjesuscrucified?
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/member.php?u=181640
Old 07-12-2016, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
I'm thinking this one has some potential.
wasjesuscrucified?
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/member.php?u=181640
At least let him finish registering and make that first post before nailing him.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
At least let him finish registering and make that first post before nailing him.
Zero posts. Cue Carly Simon's Anticipation!
Old 07-12-2016, 11:35 PM

Dude's taking his time, thinking out his first screed post.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:24 PM

Another newbie with potential. Remy2333 hits the ground running with this gem:

Why were Jews much more accepting of their oppression compared to African Americans
Old 07-19-2016, 12:40 PM

I'm not sure if ILikeForeignLanguages is trolling or just struck out for the 10th time in a row with a girl. But it's quality either way. Shockingly, he* hasn't returned to the thread.

*Guessing on gender, but I feel pretty safe.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:36 PM

Starving Artist could fill his own thread, but I think special merit accrues to his attempts to defend Melania Trump's plagiarism. Also, he confuses intellectual dishonesty with elegance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post

Seriously though, it's so nice to see a pretty, elegant, classy woman on the podium serving as a symbol of hard work, glamor, upward mobility and success after all these years of privilege-whinging, excuse-making and downwardly mobile lifestyles portrayed as noble and good coming from the left.

He follows it up with this gem -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
Nah, Michelle is nowhere near that heavily muscled or unattractive. But classy is not a word I'd use to describe her. Nor successful, nor a symbol of hard work and upward mobility. But I'd say the same for almost any Democratic first lady or politician. Democrats, at least in terms of political policy, couldn't care less about class, glamor, success and upward mobility. These are all hallmarks of privilege, you see, and as such are unfair and should be abandoned.

Stupid, of course, but then the real object is just to divert attention away from the latest Trump implosion but what else do you want from a troll.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:07 PM

Well, Amazon-Sigma, has a thread all about the evils of music. He's actually pretty active in it too.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=797905
Old 07-19-2016, 04:13 PM

We've got a live one: Dave Cube, who joined today and has already started five threads with titles that sounds like they're copied straight from Drudge, if Drudge was even more incoherent than usual.

Think tank: Obama bears direct responsibility for anti-cop fervor sweeping nation
TED Nugent Speaks: STUNS Everyone…Obama Is Going To HATE This!
Judge Jeanine PROVES Obama Was Behind Baton Rouge Cop Killings
It is Time to Acknowledge that Obama is a Muslim, isn't that right?
Obama: Global Elites can Defeat Terrorists and Racist Police

View them now, before they're gone. I think his time remaining is measured in hours.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:17 PM

ETA: And he's already started another. I'm revising my guess to minutes, not hours.

Last edited by TroutMan; 07-19-2016 at 04:17 PM. Reason: or not really ETA, since I can't manage to type in the right box
Old 07-19-2016, 04:23 PM

More Remy2333.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...7#post19487857

But it's cool because:

Quote:
I do not mean to start any fighting or trolling anyone..
Old 07-19-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
ETA: And he's already started another. I'm revising my guess to minutes, not hours.
didn;t even last 15 minutes ... poor confused soul is lost to us now
Old 07-19-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
[URL="http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=798866"]TED Nugent Speaks: STUNS Everyone…Obama Is Going To HATE This!
In fairness, "stunned" is my usual reaction when TED Nugent speaks.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
Well, Amazon-Sigma, has a thread all about the evils of music. He's actually pretty active in it too.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=797905
I think he's great! I love that thread! I think we should put our heads together and come up with some ideas for his next work.

For instance: Does depicting the human form in art lead to lust?
Old 07-19-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwolf49 View Post
didn;t even last 15 minutes ... poor confused soul is lost to us now
And just like that, the Elections forum thread list is suddenly a lot more boring.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
We've got a live one: Dave Cube, who joined today and has already started five threads with titles that sounds like they're copied straight from Drudge, if Drudge was even more incoherent than usual.

Think tank: Obama bears direct responsibility for anti-cop fervor sweeping nation
TED Nugent Speaks: STUNS Everyone…Obama Is Going To HATE This!
Judge Jeanine PROVES Obama Was Behind Baton Rouge Cop Killings
It is Time to Acknowledge that Obama is a Muslim, isn't that right?
Obama: Global Elites can Defeat Terrorists and Racist Police

View them now, before they're gone. I think his time remaining is measured in hours.
There's a conspiracy happening here!