Old 05-28-2016, 02:44 AM

It depends on how much food you want to wrap it around.

I oppose the use of the word "rasher" - thank-you for no one using it so far.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:18 AM

1.5 strips for me. We take three strips and cut them in half because they fit in the pan better that way and each take three halves. I'd love more but it's enough.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

I don't have bacon that often but when I do I go ahead and cook 8 slices on a cookie sheet under the broiler (on low). Because there's nothing worse than not cooking enough bacon and having to start another batch.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie The Horrible View Post

I oppose the use of the word "rasher" - thank-you for no one using it so far.

Uh, did you not read the thread? Including the OP?
Old 05-28-2016, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Some prefer more bacon, and aren't happy until they eat a whole pig.

A person has to have goals in life...
Old 05-28-2016, 09:06 AM

Sort of related: when I was a kid (I was maybe 10 years old), my family went on vacation. We stopped in a diner for breakfast. My brother (who was a few years older than me) and I ordered their "Big Breakfast". Most diners have something like this. It's some of everything. Eggs, Pancakes, Hash Browns and of course Bacon and sausage. And this was a long time ago, you didn't just get two of each like Dennys does. It was a full order of each. My brother and I inhaled all our food before the rest of my family made a dent. We were still hungry and asked if we can get more. Instead of yelling (as we expected), my Dad thought it was hilarious and let us so we ordered a second full big breakfast each. And finished that too.

Even years later my Dad would still bring it up and laugh. He called it "That $50 breakfast".

Last edited by Quimby; 05-28-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Sort of related: when I was a kid (I was maybe 10 years old), my family went on vacation. We stopped in a diner for breakfast. My brother (who was a few years older than me) and I ordered their "Big Breakfast". Most diners have something like this. It's some of everything. Eggs, Pancakes, Hash Browns and of course Bacon and sausage. And this was a long time ago, you didn't just get two of each like Dennys does. It was a full order of each. My brother and I inhaled all our food before the rest of my family made a dent. We were still hungry and asked if we can get more. Instead of yelling (as we expected), my Dad thought it was hilarious and let us so we ordered a second full big breakfast each. And finished that too.

Even years later my Dad would still bring it up and laugh. He called it "That $50 breakfast".
I remember when I was about 9 or 10 years old my grandfather did the same thing for me. Only instead of breakfast, it was a steak dinner.

Everyone at my table watched in amazement as I manage to cram every last bite into my little belly. (I was a skinny kid)
Old 05-28-2016, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Heh. Reminds me of a story my mother related to me about when my father was young. He and one of his brothers- both hard-working, poor, thin-as-rails farmers- went into a restaurant that advertised an all-you-can-eat special. So they ordered one each and ate. And ate, and ate and ate. When they were finally done, the restaurant owner told them never to come back.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:16 AM

One thing not mentioned, there is a huge variation in what constitutes a strip of Bacon. One example I can recall was at an overseas AAFES establishment, purportedly as part of a hamburger.

Thin, limpy and approximately the size of a band-aid. Sick joke. At the other end of the spectrum I recall more fondly a 4-calendar cafe in South Dakota, there were 3 or 4 huge, thick smoky strips that were longer than the platter and had a good bit of overhang. It was AWESOME. I remember the eggs had almost flourescent yellow yolks, maybe it was sunflower country or something.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Uh, did you not read the thread? Including the OP?
That escaped my normally razor-sharp, sometimes feared, eagle-precision viewing.

I'll have to really hold it against Johnny L.A., then. A bit of a cross to bear, but life goes on, I guess.

Sometimes there's packages of bacon that look like almost all fat and you wonder - ok, who in their right mind would buy that?
Old 05-28-2016, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I oppose the use of the word "rasher"
Then don't use it.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:08 PM

I've just learned today that bacon has its own unit of measurement.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:37 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Well, this morning's breakfast had 5 strips of bacon on it, and I want some more, so personally my "normal" serving is "more than 5."
Old 05-28-2016, 04:03 PM

"Leftover Bacon"

There's a reason that phrase has probably never been used.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:34 PM

If it came in two-foot-long strips, I'd be more interested. Just have one piece and triple it over, back and forth, onto the frying pan. Wherever it bends back over, it might not fry as well, so I'd weigh down each bend with a small rock or something.
Also really good is cacon: bacon wrapped around a cake. The tempestuous marriage of sugar and salt .....so, so......MUAH!!!!!
Old 05-29-2016, 08:26 PM

I don't really like bacon as a "breakfast" thing; you know, with eggs and pancakes and such. (I'd rather have sausage or ham.) I'll make myself a BLT instead, even if it's 7 AM. 3 slices is about right. But then, I'm the cook, so there's usually the piece I nibble while I'm making everyone's omelet, and the half piece left on a kid's plate while washing up, and... So, more like 5 strips.

I like half-crisp bacon the most. Best of both worlds!

(Oh, and as to leftover bacon fat...make a warm vinaigrette salad dressing with it. BLT in a bowl!)
Old 05-30-2016, 05:53 AM

My typical breakfast serving has always been six pieces, solely because my largest skillet can hold six slices on uncooked bacon. But I haven't had bacon for breakfast in at least a couple of years, leaving my exposure to it as a hamburger topping.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:16 AM

My wife and I still laugh over a Micky D's breakfast somewhere, where there were two pieces of bacon served with the "Big Breakfast" - each about 2 inches long by 1/2 inch wide. We complained, and the manager said it was two pieces, therefore it was right.

All other McD's that we have been to give you two real slices of bacon.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
...Sometimes there's packages of bacon that look like almost all fat and you wonder - ok, who in their right mind would buy that?
Those can be really good for wrapping things in; salmon steaks for example. If you wrap a salmon steak in a couple of slices of fatty bacon and bake it, the bacon fat infuses and bastes the salmon and prevents it drying out as well as adding to the flavour (for those who don't find salmon flavourful enough on its own).
Old 05-30-2016, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Jim Gaffigan on bacon.
I see your Jim Gaffigan and raise you Rhett and Link.

The only time I had more bacon than I wanted to eat was at a breakfast buffet. The tongs closed on a fused wad of more than a half pound. I tried to tease the wad apart and without thinking, reached out to touch the mass. Giving up I took is back to the table. Luckily there were five us there and I was able to farm out what I couldn't eat (throwing it away was not an option).
Old 06-06-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
Those can be really good for wrapping things in; salmon steaks for example. If you wrap a salmon steak in a couple of slices of fatty bacon and bake it, the bacon fat infuses and bastes the salmon and prevents it drying out as well as adding to the flavour (for those who don't find salmon flavourful enough on its own).
Apropos of this (Believe it or not) I recall the effort I had to make not to laugh when a friend introduced her son, who had been named "Bard." She undoubtedly referred to the Medieval traveling entertainers, but the kid was somewhat overweight, and to someone who has visited some of the higher altitudes of cooking, "bard" has the meaning of "to wrap with fat."
Old 06-06-2016, 07:16 PM

Is your heart clogged yet? No? Then you haven't reached the normal amount of bacon.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Since June, I've cut back. Two rashers instead of four, half the normal serving of hashbrowns, and one egg. (The Wife still gets the massive amount of hashbrowns and two eggs, and has cut back from two rashers to one.)
Old 10-01-2017, 05:41 PM

mom through normal bacon was a waste of money so we ate sizzlelean (I miss the brown sugar and maple flavor) but every so often shed get a big butcher cut of "ends and pieces" for about 5 bucks that was like 10 pounds in a bag and just toss em in a deep fryer with just enough oil to cover half a basket and then use the grease in the pan to make gravy for biscuits .....
Old 10-01-2017, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

I used to get the 5-pound boxes of bacon ends and pieces, and cook and eat them like bacon. The last time I did that, the pieces were a little too irregular. Anyway, The Missus would probably think they were weird.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

The only problem with the 5lb packages of ends is that is a little much to fit in my large fry pan.

Now the 1.5lb packages of thick cut fit nicely in my oven bacon cooking pan.....
Old 10-01-2017, 09:12 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

I had a Wimpy Burger from the Inverness Park Market for dinner. The Wimpy comes with five slices of smoked bacon. I don't know if that's "normal", but it sure was delicious!

Last edited by blondebear; 10-01-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I get my bacon from a local Polish butcher shop that smokes and slices its own. There's a wide variation between rasher size, thickness, and fattiness.

What I usually do is, start enough bacon to cover the bread, then put two slices of bread in a 325 oven, with sliced white cheddar covering one. When the bacon is done I drain it and pour a little of the fat into the omelette pan, then pour in a beaten egg with S&P. Take the melted cheese slice out of the oven, spread the scrambled egg over it, top with the bacon, cover with the rest of the bread (mayo or butter optional), pour a glass of V8, cut the sandwich in two.

If I'm feeling magnanimous, I will do an extra piece of bacon for the dogs.