Old 06-07-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCitizen View Post
Maybe Liberals can manage to win 75% of Senate and abolish The First Amendment. Then every state can have their own Speech Penal Code.
Okay, you took your partisan political shot; now go fuck a cactus, you piece of shit.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-07-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Jesus. I think I'm gonna puke.
The friend in question is a member of a band called Good English. The band has just had five New York-area gigs canceled by various venues, because of the letter she wrote.

In response, she has just released an open letter on Facebook, in which she attempts to explain why she wrote her letter in support of Brock Turner, and attempts to clarify what she was really trying to say.

https://www.facebook.com/goodenglish...17477681600309

TLDR version: the alcohol was to blame.

As with so many such non-apologies, she should have remembered the useful maxim: "When you're deep in the hole, the first thing to do is stop digging."

Last edited by mhendo; 06-07-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Maybe Liberals can manage to win 75% of Senate and abolish The First Amendment. Then every state can have their own Speech Penal Code.
What a blessing we've got CCitizen around in threads about privileged white guys whining about the harshness of six-month sentences for rape convictions, to remind us that what's really important is the fact that their whining isn't illegal.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Okay, you took your partisan political shot; now go fuck a cactus, you piece of shit.
Tell it to your mother and her father -- they are not worth my shit.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
What a blessing we've got CCitizen around in threads about privileged white guys whining about the harshness of six-month sentences for rape convictions, to remind us that what's really important is the fact that their whining isn't illegal.
Many people say many offensive things which are not illegal.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:41 PM

The really terrifying thing about that piece of shit Brock Turner, his piece of shit father, and the piece of shit judge? None of them are unique. They're not even unusual. All of them are replicated thousands upon thousands of times, all over the world.

The only reason this case is getting any attention is because the victim is incredibly articulate and eloquent. Apart from that, all of this - the rapist who feels that another person's body is his property, the father outraged that raping a woman should have any effect at all on his son's life, the judge who agrees, the woman whose trauma and suffering are totally discounted and dismissed - all of this happens every day. Every single day. It just goes unnoticed. And if this victim weren't so eloquent, her case would have gone unnoticed too.

On a better note, though: you know who doesn't get enough mention in this case? The two guys who stopped the rape. They could have just kept going, figured that the unconscious girl half-naked in the bushes with a guy raping her must have somehow wanted it, not their problem. Instead they stopped it and held the rapist till the police arrived.

Brock Turner and his father and the judge may be a lot more common than I'd like to believe, but they're very far from universal.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
#1, #2, and #3 - sure.

But the system doesn't work without defense attorneys, and even pieces of shit deserve good ones (which is an indictment of the public defender process in most areas - even the good ones are buried under overwork).
Sure. Like flies to shit.

The perpetrator has a right to defense, but that should not mean his victim has to suffer bullying in court.
Did you read the victim's letter? Do you understand what that sleazy lawyer put her through?
Hell, even the rapist, who seems otherwise devoid of empathy, felt the need to distance himself from his lawyer's underhanded tactics.

No, this was not a "good" lawyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Just for laffs, let's summarize the bullet points of another letter written on Brock's behalf, this time by one of his friends:

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/06/broc...f-support.html
Absolutely disgusting.
If the judge let this sort of bullshit in any way sway his decision, as seems to be the case, he should be given the boot.

Quote:
Ddamn; that lady can write.
Indeed.
I was both moved and impressed.

Did that wretched judge just ignore this?
Old 06-07-2016, 07:47 PM

nm

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 06-07-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Carlson View Post
If the judge let this sort of bullshit in any way sway his decision, as seems to be the case, he should be given the boot.
Petition here.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Go away.
Come back when not horrible.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectic wench View Post
On a better note, though: you know who doesn't get enough mention in this case? The two guys who stopped the rape. They could have just kept going, figured that the unconscious girl half-naked in the bushes with a guy raping her must have somehow wanted it, not their problem. Instead they stopped it and held the rapist till the police arrived.
Right on.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Maybe conservatives can manage to learn to read. I didn't say anything about getting rid of the first amendment or modifying state penal codes. I said what I would do if it were up to me, not whati would modify the legal system to do. There's a big difference between the two, and I doubt I'll going to be appointed dictator any time soon
Old 06-07-2016, 08:40 PM

Of course what Brock Turner's father said was very offensive. But many people say many offensive things. I guess I was wrong to come into the hornet's nest to talk about these issues.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Of course what Brock Turner's father said was very offensive. But many people say many offensive things. I guess I was wrong to come into the hornet's nest to talk about these issues.
You're clearly NOT here to talk about the issues, you're here to try and score cheap partisan political points, you lying piece of shit.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Go back to complaining about mommy and daddy paying for your school and how useless you are at life.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
The really terrifying thing about that piece of shit Brock Turner, his piece of shit father, and the piece of shit judge? None of them are unique. They're not even unusual. All of them are replicated thousands upon thousands of times, all over the world.

The only reason this case is getting any attention is because the victim is incredibly articulate and eloquent. Apart from that, all of this - the rapist who feels that another person's body is his property, the father outraged that raping a woman should have any effect at all on his son's life, the judge who agrees, the woman whose trauma and suffering are totally discounted and dismissed - all of this happens every day. Every single day. It just goes unnoticed. And if this victim weren't so eloquent, her case would have gone unnoticed too.
A poignant observation.
And horrible to think that the system betrays and doubly victimizes those who do not have such a strong voice.

Hell's bells! Even the articulate and powerful plea by this remarcable woman was ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Quote:
Petition here.
Thank you. This is comforting to know.
I'd love to sign this petition, but I don't suppose it's open to non-citizens/non-residents of the US?
(I've never used Change.org, so I don't know how it works, but will be happy to sign if I can.)
Old 06-07-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
You're clearly NOT here to talk about the issues, you're here to try and score cheap partisan political points, you lying piece of shit.
You do not know anything about me. Your mother and her father are canine feces.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
You do not know anything about me. Your mother and her father are canine feces.
About time you posted in the pit you stupid asshole troll.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Women who play the drums, I know of an indie band slot opening up real soon now...
Old 06-07-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Well Is Best Revenge View Post
About time you posted in the pit you stupid asshole troll.
I only answer in kind when attacked first.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:29 PM

Some more information on why Persky sentenced as he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian
“There is less moral culpability attached to the defendant who is … intoxicated,” the judge said.
Good to know if I ever want to commit a crime.

Quote:
Persky also noted that news coverage of the case had significantly impacted Turner, saying: “The media attention that has been given to this case has in a way sort of poisoned the lives of the people that have been affected. … The question I’ve asked myself is … ‘Is state prison for this defendant an antidote to that poison?’”
Why is it the legal system's responsibility to provide an antidote? The defendant came by his poisonous media attention honestly.

Quote:
“I take him at his word that subjectively that’s his version of his events. … I’m not convinced that his lack of complete acquiescence to the verdict should count against him,” he said.
If someone is convicted of three felonies by a jury of his peers, I would think in order to be certain that the felon won't re-offend, he ought to understand what he did wrong. The judge is acknowledging that the defendant doesn't, but claims that shouldn't be a concern. Why not?

Second, how the hell is the defendent's subjective view relevant? Maybe Defendant Number 2 sincerely believed Granny had it coming to her when he pushed her down the stairs. Should we be lenient on him also?

Quote:
Persky also appeared to rely heavily on letters that Turner’s friends and family sent and read an excerpt from a former classmate who told the judge she couldn’t believe the assault allegations.

“To me that just rings true,” the judge said. “It sort of corroborates the evidence of his character up until the night of this incident, which has been positive.”
So despite the evidence of that evening, which proved to a jury's satisfaction that the defendant committed three violent felonies, the judge believed he's really a nice guy after all. After all, his friend said so.

This is disgusting.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:39 PM

But he's a really good swimmer! It's so weird and irrelevant. I find it interesting that the defense attorney stressed the fact that he remembered the events, but she didn't. So...a person can be sober enough to remember events, but in the same moment, be too drunk to know right from wrong?
Old 06-07-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolatt View Post
But he's a really good swimmer!
Okay, let him face Trial By Shark.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:57 PM

The rapist looks like Wee Dingwall.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Petition here.
Thank you, signed.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:33 PM

I'm going to frame this very carefully, as I am absolutely of no different opinion about the two shitbags and one privilege-coddler in this narrative. But... I think the rage has been slightly off-target in one respect.

It's an absolutely terrible choice of phrase, but I don't read the father's letter as "20 minutes of action" meaning "twenty minutes of gettin' it on, yo!" It seems clear to me that he meant "20 minutes of my son's actions in 20 years of life."

Changes nothing. I agree with nearly every post above, and maybe a grammar cop isn't needed in this mob. But misinterpreting subtle points in events and working up extra, misguided rage about them bothers me. There's more than enough here for justified rage.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
On a better note, though: you know who doesn't get enough mention in this case? The two guys who stopped the rape. They could have just kept going, figured that the unconscious girl half-naked in the bushes with a guy raping her must have somehow wanted it, not their problem. Instead they stopped it and held the rapist till the police arrived. .
Yep. They deserve a lot more recognition. Apparently they are two Swedish PhD students.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Untrue. You came into this thread completely unbidden and started attacking someone. You then attacked all liberals on a liberal messageboard.

I give you a pass for not knowing that the guy was using hyperbole and does not actually want the guy arrested. But you didn't just say you disagreed. You took it further and attacked people.

And this is the Pit. If you attack people, you are going to get attacked back.

Last edited by BigT; 06-08-2016 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:20 AM

Quote:
You really need to work on your Pit material. you sound like a bot. You are a bot. Fuckin cyborgs. Lame.

Quote:
You're like a Trump Borg.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
The friend in question is a member of a band called Good English. The band has just had five New York-area gigs canceled by various venues, because of the letter she wrote.

In response, she has just released an open letter on Facebook, in which she attempts to explain why she wrote her letter in support of Brock Turner, and attempts to clarify what she was really trying to say.

https://www.facebook.com/goodenglish...17477681600309

TLDR version: the alcohol was to blame.

As with so many such non-apologies, she should have remembered the useful maxim: "When you're deep in the hole, the first thing to do is stop digging."
Just a heads-up to folks that that Facebook page is gone (or at least temporarily unviewable).

Seems likely to me that the rest of the band went "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU SAYING AND WHY ARE YOU SAYING IT ON THE BAND PAGE?????" and took it all down.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-08-2016 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:25 AM

https://themusicnetwork.com/news/goo...r-brock-turner

Here's the letter. It's still stupid bullshit. It's not quite as horrible as her initial letter, but it's still pretty fucking bad.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
I'm going to frame this very carefully, as I am absolutely of no different opinion about the two shitbags and one privilege-coddler in this narrative. But... I think the rage has been slightly off-target in one respect.

It's an absolutely terrible choice of phrase, but I don't read the father's letter as "20 minutes of action" meaning "twenty minutes of gettin' it on, yo!" It seems clear to me that he meant "20 minutes of my son's actions in 20 years of life."

Changes nothing. I agree with nearly every post above, and maybe a grammar cop isn't needed in this mob. But misinterpreting subtle points in events and working up extra, misguided rage about them bothers me. There's more than enough here for justified rage.
So you think that, in a written letter he was going to submit to the judge who was going to decide whether or not his son went to prison for half as long as he'd been on the planet already, Dan Turner somehow accidentally "misspoke" such that he forgot to include the possessive pronoun "my son's" and he somehow "misspoke" and wrote "action", singular, when he really meant "actions", plural?

And he didn't notice the error and correct it before he submitted this plea for his son's freedom?

You're saying that you think that his father, who hired a top defense attorney because he cared so much for his son's freedom, somehow submitted a letter to the judge that was not heavily discussed and reviewed before it's submittal?

And you think he did this inadvertently, even tho the entire defense rested on the claim that this was consensual ("just getting' some action") and not a rape?

Have I accurately described what you think?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-08-2016 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
Okay, let him face Trial By Shark.
Sometimes, trial by ordeal and trial by combat seem like they should be on the books again. This is one of those times. Let the kid fight Brock Lesnar to the death, and may the gods decide.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
Not the best idiom to use in a rape case
Old 06-08-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
It's an absolutely terrible choice of phrase, but I don't read the father's letter as "20 minutes of action" meaning "twenty minutes of gettin' it on, yo!" It seems clear to me that he meant "20 minutes of my son's actions in 20 years of life.".
I don't give rape supporters the benefit of the doubt in their wording, especially when that wording fits with the ideals that rape supporters hold.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

More importantly, it only takes a second to pull a trigger and take a life. The duration of time taken to commit a crime is NOT a mitigating factor.

20 mins or 20 hrs, it's still a rape of an unconscious woman. Just like pulling a trigger and taking a life, you don't get a pass me because it was only 'a few seconds of' crime.

I'm still struggling to see how a defendant who doesn't admit to the specifics of the crime, or express remorse, AND insists on putting the victim/state through a trial deserves any leniency whatsoever.

Last edited by elbows; 06-08-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
As long as we're going there.....

I made a joke in that other thread, and someone suggested I should be ashamed of myself. Since I saw a Mod note that I should basically "Shut the Fuck Up" in that thread, I'll defend myself here, in The Pit.

First of all, the joke was not about rape, and certainly not at the expense of the victim. That would be fucked up and in poor taste.

If you don't get the joke, sorry, sucks to be you. I'm not going to explain it. But I'd be willing to bet if Louis C. K. made the joke during a monologue on SNL, people would he howling with laughter.

Second, if you think some topics are "off the table" for joking about, again, sucks to be you. You need to step back and stop taking life and yourself so fucking seriously.

Rape is horrible. To make light of victims of rape would be horrible. But there sure are an awful lot of jokes being told about Cosby right now. See the difference?

I thought my "joke" was fucking hilarious!
That makes one of you.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:

But what other "20 minutes of action" could he possibly be referring to that would ruin Fuckstain Jr's life, especially since it was said as part of "now he has to register as a sex offender and that'll follow him around all his life"? (And boo fucking hoo to that. Don't want to be a registered sex offender? Don't commit sex crimes.)

Calling "the rape of an unconscious woman" "20 minutes of action" even in the sense of "activity that took 20 minutes" was an attempt to minimize the significance of his crime, and to minimize the harm done to the victim. And that's why so many people have their undies in a bunch over that choice of words.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:25 AM

I am not normally a violent person, but I would like to take baseball bat upside the heads of the rapist and his father. Repeatedly. Disbar the judge and have him sit in with mental health professionals who counsel rape victims.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:40 AM

The sentencing really makes me wonder what shitty things the judge has done in his lifetime. That would make better sense of his bizarre sentencing. If he's been in similar situations with women, he would identify closer with the rapist. Or maybe he just has a misogynistic world view. Since he won't consider himself a monster, he doesn't see how terrible rape boy is.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
What kills me is he gets what is essentially a walk....and he is appealing to conviction! "6 months....no way man, that will be on my record forever! APPEAL!"
Along with the six month jail (not prison) time, he got three years probation and, more importantly, sex-offender registry for life, which is no small thing. He's most likely appealing the verdict in hopes of getting out of being on the sex offender registry.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachertorte View Post
The sentencing really makes me wonder what shitty things the judge has done in his lifetime. That would make better sense of his bizarre sentencing. If he's been in similar situations with women, he would identify closer with the rapist. Or maybe he just has a misogynistic world view. Since he won't consider himself a monster, he doesn't see how terrible rape boy is.
I had the exact same thought.
How else could he show such apparent empathy for someone who has committed such a blatantly horrible crime?
Old 06-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Hey Paula View Post
He's most likely appealing the verdict in hopes of getting out of being on the sex offender registry.
Maybe he should be given an option then. Register as a sex offender for the rest of his life or get RAPIST tattooed in block letters on his forehead. His choice.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
So you think that, in a written letter he was going to submit to the judge who was going to decide whether or not his son went to prison for half as long as he'd been on the planet already, Dan Turner somehow accidentally "misspoke" such that he forgot to include the possessive pronoun "my son's" and he somehow "misspoke" and wrote "action", singular, when he really meant "actions", plural?
No, I think far too many adults can't write their way out of a grocery list.

I concede (and conceded) it makes absolutely no difference - but raging over a clumsy phrase on top of rage over far more important things adds nothing to the dialogue.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

I disagree, this man's letter and especially his choice of words to defend his son, have added considerably to the conversation.

He may not be able to write well, you may be right. But there is no way it wasn't vetted by the high priced lawyers, in my opinion.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:49 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Quote:
You do not know anything about me.
Your posts tell us everything we need to know about you. None of it is good.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Sadly, not only can I see President Trump nominating this judge to the Supreme Court, I can see a Republican Senate giving him high-fives and chest-bumps.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Carlson View Post
It should not have.
That is on the judge.

As for the dad, I don’t think he truly acknowledges his son’s crime.

“He is truly sorry for what occurred”?
How about “He is truly sorry for what he did”?
How about “He is truly sorry for what he did to that woman”?

That would be a start.
Or he could just be honest about it: "He is truly sorry that he got caught."
Old 06-08-2016, 11:12 AM

The kid clearly knew he was in the wrong. The two swedes had to chase him down and tackle him.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
The kid clearly knew he was in the wrong. The two swedes had to chase him down and tackle him.
So what you're saying is, he got stepped on by two Swede dudes ?