Old 06-22-2016, 08:46 AM

Selma Blair- "Filled with Shame"

Here's a link to the story, but apparently Selma Blair had to be carried off a plane after "bizarre behavior" (scroll down to the middle of the story for some beyond disturbing quotes of things she said). She said she had mixed wine with meds.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...htmlstory.html

My question is, what meds? I've mixed wine with meds many times and never had this kind of reaction.

Last edited by 67java89; 06-22-2016 at 08:48 AM. Reason: correction
Old 06-22-2016, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67java89 View Post
My question is, what meds? I've mixed wine with meds many times and never had this kind of reaction.
Xanax, among others.
Of course, the drug companies use code words like "disorientation," "confusion," "agitation," and so on, instead of the less specific, but more descriptive "batcrap crazy."

True anecdote. When I worked in a hospital I had a patient who was in for a minor surgery that required general anesthetic. He celebrated the night before with a few buddies and a few beers. When he was given the anesthetic he got so crazy he required three of us to restrain him.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Citing witnesses, the outlet said the actress suddenly started crying, saying, “He burns my private parts. He won’t let me eat or drink,” and continuing, “He beats me. He’s going to kill me.”
I suppose that's better than if she went off on some racist screed or something. What she said can be written off as just weirdo half-dream drugged up ravings but if she started in on other issues it would be "she was saying what she REALLY thinks..."
Old 06-22-2016, 11:47 AM

I saw someone react badly to alcohol and antibiotics. It may be individualized?
Old 06-22-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I suppose that's better than if she went off on some racist screed or something. What she said can be written off as just weirdo half-dream drugged up ravings but if she started in on other issues it would be "she was saying what she REALLY thinks..."
Worse if something like that is REALLY happening.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0sp3l View Post
Worse if something like that is REALLY happening.
Oh, of course. I'm taking her at her word that it was just rambling brought on by the drug/alcohol interaction. I know nothing about her personal life aside from what was in the article. But -- if we're to assume that it's just babble -- there's some things easier to put behind you by saying "drug-induced wackiness" than others.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
I saw someone react badly to alcohol and antibiotics. It may be individualized?
Could the reaction to the meds and booze be exacerbated by the flight somehow?
Old 06-22-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Maybe she was quoting lines from an upcoming movie
Old 06-22-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Could the reaction to the meds and booze be exacerbated by the flight somehow?
If she was dehydrated (as often happens when you fly) the effects might be stronger.
Her crying and ranting almost sounds hallucinogenic. That, and the fact that she had to be taken out on a stretcher, makes me think it was the [I]dose[/I] of whatever meds she was on more so than the wine that caused the reaction. People have been known to hallucinate from high doses of benzos, esp if they're not used to them. That's why docs usually start you out small

Last edited by 67java89; 06-22-2016 at 01:41 PM. Reason: bolding
Old 06-22-2016, 01:47 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67java89 View Post
Maybe she was quoting lines from an upcoming movie
You know, I've been wondering when they'd finally get around to making Hellboy 3....
Old 06-22-2016, 03:42 PM

I had a neighbor who was severely dehydrated and had to be carried away. He was saying a whole lot of insane things.

For someone with no history of drug/alcohol abuse and a tame reputation, I'd take her at her word that it was a bad reaction to whatever she says it was.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Oh, of course. I'm taking her at her word that it was just rambling brought on by the drug/alcohol interaction. I know nothing about her personal life aside from what was in the article. But -- if we're to assume that it's just babble -- there's some things easier to put behind you by saying "drug-induced wackiness" than others.
I hope that didn't sound like I was chastising you, I was only commenting on the craziness of the situation.

"Champagne, if you are seeking the truth, is better than a lie detector."