Old 12-26-2016, 01:36 AM
Charter Member

Place names with both first and last names

Places are frequently named after people. Usually it's just the last name (when named for men, that is, which are the bulk of such names; when named for women, it's usually the first name). But occasionally, they're named with both the first and last names. I'm looking for examples of this last category.

I already have a number of them, especially in the US. Jim Thorpe PA, Jean Lafitte LA, Gene Autry OK, and Robert Lee TX (named for the Confederate general) are several examples. I know of half a dozen or so others that are much more obscure. I'm also looking for counties named in this way, such as Ann Arundel County MD and some named for Jefferson Davis in various states.

Outside the US, I don't have much. Chemnitz, Germany was named Karl-Marx-Stadt during the Cold War, but they voted to revert in 1990. There's several named for Simon Bolivar in various countries, including some county equivalents. And then there's Ho Chi Minh City, but that's it.

So anyone know of any others? Or even any that on the surface look like they may qualify until you actually find out their origin. Ann Arbor MI for example.
Advertisements  
Old 12-26-2016, 01:42 AM

San Juan Capistrano, California.

Ho Chi Minh City.

Last edited by septimus; 12-26-2016 at 01:46 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
Or even any that on the surface look like they may qualify until you actually find out their origin. Ann Arbor MI for example.
In this category, Milton Keynes, England, I think would fit.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post

Ho Chi Minh City.
Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Also thank you.

Last edited by dtilque; 12-26-2016 at 01:56 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Ho Chi Minh City.
Vietnam does a lot of naming of places (surburbs especially) and streets after people... there's a million places to with the full name listed there. So Vietnam, China, Laos are probably extremely fertile ground .. but pointless to mention again
Old 12-26-2016, 03:26 AM

In Argentina a "city" with population 88000 odd, is named
"Presidencia Roque Sáenz Peña" .. So its got Title and full name... First , Middle and Surname.

Also in Argentina, there's a part of Buenes Aires with population of 300,000 named Vicente Lopez .

Last edited by Isilder; 12-26-2016 at 03:29 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isilder View Post
Vietnam does a lot of naming of places (surburbs especially) and streets after people... there's a million places to with the full name listed there. So Vietnam, China, Laos are probably extremely fertile ground .. but pointless to mention again
I was wondering whether to exclude certain parts of the world, but didn't know enough about the naming patterns everywhere. I did look on Wikipedia to see if certain high-level Chinese leaders had places named after them, but it didn't show anything. Which doesn't mean anything, of course.

So lets avoid those three countries and any others with similar naming patterns. I'm mostly interested in countries with westernized naming patterns anyway.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
"Presidencia Roque Sáenz Peña" .. So its got Title and full name... First , Middle and Surname.

Also in Argentina, there's a part of Buenes Aires with population of 300,000 named Vicente Lopez .
Thank you. Looking it up, I find that Sáenz Peña is actually the family name, not a middle-last name.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:42 AM

Morgan Hill, California is NOT named after a hill named after a guy named Morgan.
The name is shorthand for "Morgan Hill's Ranch," the name given to the community built around the holdings of Hiram Morgan Hill and his wife Diana née Murphy.

Quote:
Ho Chi Minh City.
My face is red. I raced to click for San Juan Capistrano so I could be first , did an ETA when I thought of Saigon's new name; then checked to see if OP had already mentioned it. I then clicked for re-edit/delete but the Five-Minute window had expired. (Would it really be that hard to change to a SIX-minute window? )
Old 12-26-2016, 04:58 AM

Are we limited to cities, or would street names be allowed?

How about Marten Luther King Jr. Street or boulevard in Portland Oregon? I bet that there are many more streets named after him.

Parks? Amelia Earhart Park near Miami Florida? There are a few streets near airports named after her.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:58 AM

There's Peterlee, in County Durham, England. Named after miners leader Peter Lee.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Willys View Post
There are a few streets near airports named after her.
And there's a lot of airports with full names (JFK, John Lennon Airport, etc)
Old 12-26-2016, 05:30 AM

I think Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta in Andhra Pradesh, India, qualifies. Google shows it as "Venkata narasimha raju's city" although it runs fore-, middle- and sur-names together.

A mountaintop in New Zealand has one of the longer place names: Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu. Google translates this Māori as "The summit where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, the climber of mountains, the land-swallower who travelled about, played his nose flute to his loved one;" so it would qualify if "the man with the big knees," or one of Tamatea's other distinctions, qualifies as a surname.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
That's right. Milton isn't really a first name in this country.
The village was originally known as Middelton Kaynes before the new town was built.

Last edited by eburacum45; 12-26-2016 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:03 AM

Texas has counties named Tom Green, Jim Wells, Jim Hogg, Deaf Smith and Jeff Davis.

In Mexico, there is a city named Felipe Carillo Puerto. (t is not a port (puerto), but Puerto was the namesake's last name.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-26-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Jeff Davis County, Georgia

Also Texas, Mississippi and a Louisiana parish.

Also Ben Hill County, Georgia.

Last edited by Lsura; 12-26-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

More from the list of US Counties

Jo Daviess County, IL

Roger Mills County, OK

There could be others in that list that I missed in looking through it.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

John Day, Oregon. John Day was a fur trapper in Astoria, Oregon. While traveling down the Columbia River he was captured by local Indians near the mouth of what is now the John Day River, stripped naked and released, along with his partner Ramsay Crooks. While Day has the city, the river, and an entire recreational region named for him, Crooks has been forgotten.

Many military bases are named for people, such as Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

The state of Washington has a natural, the town of George.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:01 AM

Flin Flon, Manitoba is named after the fictional character Josiah Flintabbatey Flonatin. So I guess that's half a middle name and half a last name?
Old 12-26-2016, 09:06 AM

Any college campus would be full of building named for someone's full name.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:39 AM

St Alban's, just outside London?
Old 12-26-2016, 10:30 AM

Historically, it is much more common in the south for street names to carry both first and last names of the honoree. The Texas town I live in has streets named after John Stockbauer, Ben Jordan, Ben Wilson, Guy Grant, and nobody even knows who those guys were. I phoned city hall and the reference desk at the library, and nobody knew. The best guess is that they were early real-estate developers. In most southern cities, it is only major thoroughfares that have such names.

Such names are rare in northern cities.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Roque Sáenz Peña is firstname plus two surnames. And presidencia is not president but presidency: the city is named after his mandate, not after him.

Quote:
Thank you. Looking it up, I find that Sáenz Peña is actually the family name, not a middle-last name.
Two family names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In Mexico, there is a city named Felipe Carillo Puerto. (t is not a port (puerto), but Puerto was the namesake's last name.
Again, lastnames are Carrillo Puerto.

Last edited by Nava; 12-26-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:17 AM

nothing I can find in Michigan after a cursory look. most cities/towns with multi-word names are some variant of "name-place" e. g. Lincoln Park, Grand Haven, Battle Creek, Rochester Hills, Grosse Pointe Shores/Farms/Woods, and so on.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Wow, beaten to the punch on the first post.

I was going to lead with that and point out that most California/Arizona/NM/Texas cities with Spanish names are known by truncations of their full name, usually that of a saint, reduced to the saint's appellation. LA is probably the most famous of them, and I'm going to cut and paste this rather than retype it: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula

San Juan is so common that Mrs. B. stuck her finger in the trap last night: I was suggesting Costa Rica for a spring vacation, and mentioned that San Juan was a fairly cosmopolitan city for the region. She gave me withering "I win" look and said, "San Juan's in Puerto Rico." To which I deadpanned, "No, it's near LA and Carmel."
Old 12-26-2016, 11:49 AM

Anything with a directional in it counts doesn't it? West Memphis etc.

But the most wordy must be the "By the sea"s: Manchester by the sea, and maybe others.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Title but not first name: Dr. Phillips, Florida.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
I suppose if you're being really generous, then directionals can count as first names, but that's stretching it (North West notwithstanding.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 12-26-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post

But the most wordy must be the "By the sea"s: Manchester by the sea, and maybe others.
I... don't see how these count at all.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Chevy Chase, Maryland

Old 12-26-2016, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Let me make something clear (I was debating putting this in the OP, but decided against). I'm only interested in municipal names and those of counties or equivalents. I am not interested in streets, highways, plazas, canals, parks, hospitals, schools, airports, or individual buildings. Also, they have to be real people, not fictional or mythical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malden Capell View Post
St Alban's, just outside London?
Unless his first name was actually Saint, no. That's more of a title. This also applies to all the places with San or Santa in them. And for the truncated southwestern names, lets go with the common names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Title but not first name: Dr. Phillips, Florida.
Sorry, titles are right out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Chevy Chase, Maryland

Because of the comedian, that one could go on the false list.

Otherwise, thanks to everyone for all the additions.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:37 PM

The town of Ismay, Montana did a publicity stunt where they called themselves Joe for a while. Joe, Montana.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:45 PM

Carol Stream, IL

I know -- it sounds like the town is named after a waterway, but it's actually named after the daughter of its founder, Jay Stream. The Tribune did a story on her several years ago -- she's now living IIRC in Arizona.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:46 PM

John o'Groats, on the north coast of the Scottish mainland, is the localised version of the name Jan de Groot, a Dutch ferryman.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:53 PM

Albert Lea, Minnesota, bears the full first and last name of the surveyor who mapped the area in the early 1800s.

I was also going to mention Carol Stream but was beaten to the punch.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:22 PM

San Juan Capistrano does not include a surname. San Giovanni da Capeistrano was a Franciscan friar and Catholic priest from the Italian town of Capestrano, Abruzzo, Kindgom of Naples. By the custom of the times, he did not go by a hereditary surname from his father, but was simply John, who came from Capistrano, and was later awarded the title Saint. San Juan Capistrano is the Spanish translation of his name.

Almost every town in Quebec is named "Saint So-and-so of Whatever" Like St.-Jean-de-Richilieu" or "St.-Donat-de-Montcalm". None of those include surnames. Everyone's favorite is St.-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-26-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Two family names.
I'm guessing your complaint is that Peña is his mother's name? If so, not true. He inherited both from his father, Luis Sáenz Peña Davila. No doubt Peña was the name of some female ancestor of his, but not of his mother or even grandmother. If not, then you're nitpick is mysterious. The name he inherits from his father is his family name.

Quote:
Unless his first name was actually Saint, no. That's more of a title. This also applies to all the places with San or Santa in them.
Just want to make clear that I was not rejecting San Juan Capistrano here. I was thinking more about Santa Barbara, San Jose, San Francisco, etc.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:43 PM

Apparently Lee Vining CA was named for gold prospector Leroy Vining.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
San Juan Capistrano does not include a surname. San Giovanni da Capeistrano was a Franciscan friar and Catholic priest from the Italian town of Capestrano, Abruzzo, Kindgom of Naples. By the custom of the times, he did not go by a hereditary surname from his father, but was simply John, who came from Capistrano, and was later awarded the title Saint. San Juan Capistrano is the Spanish translation of his name.
Good point. I'll take in under consideration.

Quote:
Almost every town in Quebec is named "Saint So-and-so of Whatever" Like St.-Jean-de-Richilieu" or "St.-Donat-de-Montcalm". None of those include surnames. Everyone's favorite is St.-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!.
Many, if not most or even all, of those names were constructed by combining the name of a saint with a name having nothing to do with the saint. Ha! Ha!, for example, is the name of the local river (it was a very funny river) and there was no saint from there. Another example is San Antonio de Bexar (or Bejar), the original name of San Antonio TX. This was named to curry favor with the then viceroy in Mexico, whose father was the Duke of Bejar.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
nothing I can find in Michigan after a cursory look. most cities/towns with multi-word names are some variant of "name-place" e. g. Lincoln Park, Grand Haven, Battle Creek, Rochester Hills, Grosse Pointe Shores/Farms/Woods, and so on.
If we count roads as places, there are some. 696 is officially named the Walter Reuther Freeway, for instance.

As for cities, there are some named for Indians who didn't have the first/last name thing, such as Pontiac.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
If we count roads as places, there are some. 696 is officially named the Walter Reuther Freeway, for instance.
I explicitly excluded highways. See post #32.

Quote:
As for cities, there are some named for Indians who didn't have the first/last name thing, such as Pontiac.
[I didn't think it necessary to do this, but as it so often happens, I was wrong.] Let's exclude people who don't have a first name and a last name (or a personal name and a family name).
Old 12-26-2016, 07:03 PM

Tomball,, Texas (pop, 10,000) is named for Congressman Thomas Henry Ball (Tom Ball), but scrunched and spelled as one word.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-26-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:35 PM

Similarly, Maxbass ND was named for railroadman Max Bass.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:10 PM

If nicknames count There is a tiny little town in Colorado named for Kit Carson.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:47 PM

Oh, that really sucks. Kit Carson is in Cheyenne County. Just a few miles north would have made it Kit Carson, Kit Carson County, Colorado. They missed out on the alliteration to beat all alliterations.

Last edited by eschereal; 12-26-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
Carol Stream, IL

I know -- it sounds like the town is named after a waterway, but it's actually named after the daughter of its founder, Jay Stream. The Tribune did a story on her several years ago -- she's now living IIRC in Arizona.
Huh. I am familiar with Carol Stream and know exactly where it is, and it never occurred to me that it was named after someone. Interesting.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Oh, that really sucks. Kit Carson is in Cheyenne County. Just a few miles north would have made it Kit Carson, Kit Carson County, Colorado. They missed out on the alliteration to beat all alliterations.
As a consolation, that's an addition to the county list. I think I'll accept nicknames, which means Deaf Smith County is OK, too. Checking Wikipedia, there's a Kit Carson in California, too.

Last edited by dtilque; 12-26-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:15 PM

One more name, in Idaho, is a concatenation of first and last. The name is shared by a creek, a reservoir, a ridge and a CDP ("community") in BFE Owyhee County, named for Dick Shooter.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
One more name, in Idaho, is a concatenation of first and last. The name is shared by a creek, a reservoir, a ridge and a CDP ("community") in BFE Owyhee County, named for Dick Shooter.
Good one. But why does the name Dickshooter look so ... mmm ... dirty?