Old 08-25-2016, 02:11 PM

No to ketchup, what about cheese?

Normally when I have a hot dog in Chicago, I have it plain or with melted cheese on top. Am I violating any hot dog conduct rules doing so?
Old 08-25-2016, 02:50 PM

Hot dog snobs deserve to be laughed at by everybody.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:57 PM

Hell no.

Shredded cheese and hot dogs are made for each other.

Screw liquid/melted/nacho. Shredded all the way.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:01 PM

I wouldn't, only because I don't like cheese, but I feel like it's a pretty common way to eat a hot dog. Or do you mean is it violation specifically of Chicagoland's fascist agenda? In that case, I'd watch my step.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:01 PM

As far as I'm concerned, the only hot dog rule of conduct is "put whatever you want on it."

Cheese and hot dogs are a winning team.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azeotrope View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the only hot dog rule of conduct is "put whatever you want on it."
Damn straight! I personally go with hot fudge and casu marzu for that delightful combination of sweet, savory and maggoty .
Old 08-25-2016, 03:13 PM
SDSAB

The Hot Dog Shoppe in East Liverpool, Ohio offers fantastic all-beef hot dogs. I always get mine with their signature melted-cheese sauce and a generous line of ketchup. Yummah!
Old 08-25-2016, 03:25 PM

Not a "cheese on" fan. I don't want cheese on my hot dog or my hamburger.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:40 PM

I'll have cheese on a burger, but cheese only belongs on a hot dog if it's on top of chili.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate11 View Post
Normally when I have a hot dog in Chicago, I have it plain or with melted cheese on top. Am I violating any hot dog conduct rules doing so?
It's not a "Chicago dog," but it's not illegal.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:51 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

No cheese on my dog thanks...unless you add chili and onions.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

I've lived here pretty much my whole life, and cheese on a hot dog has never been an issue. That's exactly how I used to eat it as a kid. No shredded cheese, though, but slices.
Most hot dog and hamburger stands don't even have shredded cheese. We have chili cheese dogs, too (and about the only thing hot dog stand chili is good for. Well, it's actually good in a chili tamale/tamale boat, but that's a pretty regional thing, too.)

And 99% of places don't care about the ketchup thing, and for the ones that do, it's a bit of schtick and branding. (I'm not a ketchup guy, though, and most Chicagoans aren't when it comes to hot dogs. Ketchup people take this shit too seriously. Nobody actually cares what you put on a hot dog. Cover it in shit and chocolate syrup if you want.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 08-25-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:33 PM

Personally, I'm a mustard, relish and onions guy, but then I'm not from Chicago. If I were, I'd have to abide by the official Chicago Wieners and Condiments Act of 1996, or something like that.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonMadman View Post
Personally, I'm a mustard, relish and onions guy, but then I'm not from Chicago. If I were, I'd have to abide by the official Chicago Wieners and Condiments Act of 1996, or something like that.
Mustard, relish, and onions is absolutely acceptable, and that's the standard topping for a number of revered Chicago hot dog stands (including Gene and Jude's and Jimmy's, both places known for not having ketchup on their premises.) That's also the way I eat my dogs here in Chicago, although I usually add sport peppers (a type of pickled hot pepper--kind of like those little green Tabasco peppers, but bigger than that) to the mix.

Last edited by pulykamell; 08-25-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:48 PM

Remember Frank N'Stuff which stuffed the cheese (or probably Cheeze) inside the hot dogs for you?

Last edited by Quimby; 08-25-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

I'm OK with *most toppings on hot dogs. My only gripe is that unless it's just a hot dog with only mustard or ketchup on it, the toppings can easily start overflowing the bun. If I were making my own hot dogs, I'd use a bun big enough to hold whatever toppings I was going to add. (In my case, probably mustard, onions, and chili).

*Except cole slaw. I don't care much for cole slaw as a topping on sandwiches, but at least in these parts, it's common hot dogs and BBQ sandwiches. No thanks.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

You can pretty much get them to melt cheese over ANY food item you order in Chicago.

(I like chili-cheese franks, too, but they don't seem to have a geographical center.)
Old 08-25-2016, 06:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max the Immortal View Post
Push tush!

There are RULES that need to be followed, my boy! What would our lives be without strict RULES with which we all must comply? Mere ANARCHY!

Don't put ketchup on your hot dog. It is against the rules.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I wouldn't, only because I don't like cheese, but I feel like it's a pretty common way to eat a hot dog.
For me, it's never registered as a way to eat a hot dog at all, let alone a common way. Of course I am a New England bun, yellow mustard kind of hotdogger.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:05 AM

I really like the cheese that comes on a Cincinnati-style coney. The massively huge... unreasonable amount of cheese...
Old 08-26-2016, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Remember Frank N'Stuff which stuffed the cheese (or probably Cheeze) inside the hot dogs for you?
Oh God, yes, yes I do. And they had a chili one, too. And maybe chili cheese? I remember them because, unlike Oscar Mayer's cheese dogs, where the cheese was interspersed with the rest of the hot dog into one unit, the Frank N'Stuffs had a tubular void cut out in the center, into which the fillings were squeezed.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:46 AM

I take a slice of cheddar (y'know, real cheese), fold it in half, and line the bun with it so that the 'hot' hot dog melts it. Chili, mustard, and onions on top, and if I'm feeling really adventurous, a bit of diced tomato. Yum.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:11 AM

I'm a born and bred Chicagoan, and I am here to tell you that the "rules" are all tongue in cheek. It's your hot dog, it's your mouth, and you can put whatever the f*ck on it you want. If anyone gives you any shit, tell them I gave you permission.

I usually get a canonical Chicago-style dog when I'm out and about, but at home, it's Kraft Jalapeño Ranch sauce and spicy giardiniera all the way.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:31 AM

Haha I was just watching one of the old Dirty Harry movies and some other cop asks him about if all the violent crime: drugs, murder, rapes have gotten him feeling down. And Clint responds what really bothers him is the way he is always stuffing down hotdogs and then goes on to say nobody should put ketchup on a hotdog.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:44 AM

I don't think I've ever had cheese on a hot dog. Maybe I had a chili dog once with some shredded cheese. I don't know why people are so upset about the ketchup thing, anyway. You only need a few drops of ketchup and mustard to help moisten the bun and keep you from chewing on dry bread.

I would probably put shredded cheese on my hotdog but I don't think I ever see it in the condiments section for decorating your hot dog. At BBQ's your friends will make you a cheeseburger with a slice of cheese, but when they make hotdogs for you, they never put cheese on it.

Last edited by Channing Idaho Banks; 08-26-2016 at 04:45 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max the Immortal View Post
Regardless of who they are, e.g. Cecil or Obama.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:00 PM

Chile Cheese Dog...yeppers.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:19 PM

Mustard and sauerkraut, but then I'm a NY girl.

When I was little mi abuela used to cut a dog lengthwise, put wrapped cheese in the cut, wrap the dog with Pillsbury and then stick it in the oven. This was a super, duper treat for the whole house.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

When I'm snug and safe at home in Brooklyn, good kraut and mustard is my go-to, as well, for almost every kind of sausage sandwich.

Nathan's Famous chili dogs are NOT all they could be: the chili has way too many beans , not enough beef, and too much tomato. Back in the '80s-'90s there were hot dog carts with orange-and-blue decor all over midtown Manhattan -- must have been a Mets theme -- that made wicked good chili dogs.

When I travel to Chicago, though, something I'm doing FAR too much these days, I enjoy the exotica of the classic Chicago dog with everything on. Also the double bratwurst on a hard roll with mustard, raw onion, and slices of dill pickle.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Oh...when I say "good kraut," I mean the composed German dish, not just ripping open a bag of B&G or Boar's Head.

I simmer barrel sauerkraut (from a Polish or Central Europen grocer) for hours with some bacon or smoked pork, sliced onion, bay leaves, caraway seed, black pepper, and some grated potato (thickener). I used to do it in white wine or beer, but it's still delicious with plain water.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:51 PM

Nope. You bought it, you eat it, however you want.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:40 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamicat View Post
Chile Cheese Dog...yeppers.
Nailed it. Chili Cheese dogs are standard around here. With a stripe of mustard under the chili for contrast.