Old 07-28-2016, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
I don't believe any of the shops where you can try them are in my state; I might give them a try the next time I head out to the West Coast.

(And, as you go on to hint, no, you're not the first to ask; and, yes, I have a default answer when folks wonder why I'm in no particular hurry: the thing is, my wife is gorgeous. This usually prompts a confused reply. No, I explain, she's really, really gorgeous. So what? So what if she's hideous in full color?)

(Sure, but you can take the glasses off. But I'll KNOW! You can't UNSEE a thing like that! I've got a great thing going, here -- and you're trying to RUIN IT FOR ME!)
Mind if I borrow that? I'm colorblind and my wife mentioned the glasses. I'm actually really nervous about trying them (if I ever had the opportunity -- I'm not searching them out). I've lived forty-eight years without them. What if I try them and they fundamentally alter the way I see the world? Then, I go back to my regular colorblindedness.... I just don't know. I'm also nearsighted. I got glasses when I was ten years old. I can't go without them or contact lenses or the whole world looks blurry to me. Would I feel the same about these color-correcting glasses?
Advertisements  
Old 07-28-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Picasso: the guy either had some sort of brain problem, or was just playing a colossal joke on the world that nobody got. Except me, of course.
As I've said before: Maybe he just had really weird looking models.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Richard Lewis (for those who remember him)
Old 07-28-2016, 12:55 PM

A Confederacy of Dunces

Just god-awful and boring. You can put something together where almost every character is unpleasant and make it work (see Breaking Bad), but this just left me cold. How is this the "funniest book ever written"?
Old 07-28-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum God View Post
Mind if I borrow that? I'm colorblind and my wife mentioned the glasses. I'm actually really nervous about trying them (if I ever had the opportunity -- I'm not searching them out). I've lived forty-eight years without them. What if I try them and they fundamentally alter the way I see the world? Then, I go back to my regular colorblindedness.... I just don't know. I'm also nearsighted. I got glasses when I was ten years old. I can't go without them or contact lenses or the whole world looks blurry to me. Would I feel the same about these color-correcting glasses?
You're of course welcome to the line. And to the other stock reply I use, when I'm chock full of the same sentiment you go on to mention but people are urging me to do whatever it takes to experience the wondrous world of color: "I don't know what it's like for you, but all of my favorite experiences have taken place in the dark."

("Also, I enjoy black-and-white movies; or, as I call them, 'movies'. And you like classic black-and-white movies, right? Don't you pretty much forget it's a black-and-white movie after, like, the first ten minutes? Or do you just spend two hours griping?")
Old 07-28-2016, 02:32 PM
BANNED

Eating pineapple makes semen taste, well, presumably, like pineapple juice.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLogan View Post
Eating pineapple makes semen taste, well, presumably, like pineapple juice.
It does. How do you think they make pineapple juice?
Old 07-28-2016, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Picasso: the guy either had some sort of brain problem, or was just playing a colossal joke on the world that nobody got. Except me, of course.
I don't have much good to say about modern art but I must concede that Cubism does have a point: it tries to display the essence of a theme rather than a specific instance of it. Compare Woman Descending Stairs with this multiple exposure photo for example.

Picasso died before his time. He would have LOVED computer-generated imagery.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian Bigfoot View Post
Yeah, It's not like pineapples grow on trees.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Yeah, It's not like pineapples grow on trees.
They don't, actually.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I think I might take some weekend and seed the internet with the notion that eating coconut makes it smell like coconut body wash. Seems like an easy sell.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahfeena View Post
They don't, actually.
I know.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Most things, really. You're all a bunch of weirdos.

But more specifically: Religion.
I mean, you only have to think of any of their ideas for a few minutes before the flaws present themselves, and then any further and it completely falls apart at the seams. Crossing your fingers and wishing real hard doesn't make fantasy real.

Obsessive sports fanaticism.
I totally get why people like to play sport, and to watch sport. The entertainment value it has is self-evident. But beyond that; the tenacious attachment to a team; the aggressive behaviour; the scrutiny of statistics; the assumption everybody else likes sports really, even if they say they don't, and at least have a team they root for. It's bizarre. And scary.

Food snobbery.
I guess it's just people loving something a lot and wanting others to enjoy it too, so ultimately an altruistic thing, but I find anybody insisting I eat something or have bad taste in food to be invading my privacy, patronising, and rude. No matter how often I ask people not to involve themselves in my eating habits, they just can't stop themselves, and I really don't get it. It's my stomach, fuck off.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Most things, really. You're all a bunch of weirdos.
I know. Sometimes I wonder what my home planet is like.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Bacon. It's good. I like bacon. I don't need 80% of my food adorned with it. I certainly don't want or need bacon scented deodorant, bacon flavored soda, a couch pillow in bacon-print fabric, bacon in my ice cream, bacon in a can, "Baconnaise", bacon flavored toothpaste or any of the rest of that nonsense. It's just food, people.
This one is part of my popular food triumvirate.

1. Bacon. I'm not interested in foods that have a high fat content and the fattiness is blatantly obvious when the food is eaten (Exception: buttered popcorn). Bacon is Exhibit #1. Why would I want to eat something that tastes essentially like burnt fat? And I REALLY don't understand bacon being cooked with foods where the strong bacon taste obliterates the taste of the other food - specifically-bacon wrapped filet mignon and bacon-wrapped scallops. Those are two of the tastiest foods around - why adulterate them? Even if you like bacon, there are plenty of mediocre foods you can mask with bacon instead.

2. Alfredo sauce. Another food that just whacks you over the head with its fattiness. Too rich, and not in a good way.

3. Black pepper. Another food that overwhelms whatever it's in - and I can't stand the stuff. I just don't understand the appeal. And recipe after recipe has pepper in it...why?
Old 07-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Writer on the storm

I get mildly annoyed when one of my favorite foods goes viral. I'VE ALWAYS LOVED KALE I SWEAR.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:23 PM

Mustard on hot dogs. It's fine, but ketchup's better.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah, what's going on with that? Is the "mustard only on hot dogs, ketchup is for troglodytes" hangup a particularly American thing? Where I'm from (not America), you're supposed to put ketchup and mustard on hot dogs. Ketchup only is fine, too.

It seems like such a strange and arbitrary thing, and one that fits the OP really well. I am waiting for the "gotcha" with that one, a little bit.

Last edited by Martian Bigfoot; 07-29-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As I've said before: Maybe he just had really weird looking models.
Yeah? Well, explain Rothko to me.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
He's awesome. What more do you need?

Personally, I can't really help you beyond that. I would still have loved Rothko even if he wasn't famous. I know that, because I didn't know that he was famous when I first saw his paintings. I just thought: "Whatever the heck that is, it's beautiful." I had the same thing happen with Malevich, too, BTW.

Last edited by Martian Bigfoot; 07-29-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:37 PM

My take is 'Buy American' on the guise that it will spur domestic prosperity. It is bullshit, if you want me to buy american you must also, you must buy from me at the american rates - you must pay me as you wish me to be able to spend on your sorry ass which is no better than what i can get from China.

Buy American is a lie designed to get people to overspend to keep a few people rich.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
That reminds me of my contribution to the OP.

Condiments. All of them, by god. The whole world pretends that ketchup, mustard, relish, mayo, etc., are acceptable things to put on perfectly good sandwiches or burgers.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie The Horrible View Post
This fucking Pokemon Go shit?
Seriously?
Acquire lives, folks.
You know, one week ago I'd have agreed. But, my six year old made me download it and we've been going out after dinner to catch Pokemon. He hasn't wanted to watch TV or play video games all week, and instead all he wants to do is to go walk around the neighborhood with his father. That's a life.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:53 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Huh. I like ALL this stuff. You guys are all a buncha haters.

Okay, I don't like Trump. Trump or religion. Trump, religion, and sports. And pineapple-flavored semen.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
You know, one week ago I'd have agreed. But, my six year old made me download it and we've been going out after dinner to catch Pokemon. He hasn't wanted to watch TV or play video games all week, and instead all he wants to do is to go walk around the neighborhood with his father. That's a life.
I live under a rock, and the concept of Pokemon Go has just barely crept in enough that I'm aware something called "Pokemon Go" exists. But this makes me interested. This sounds like something I might be able to get my five year old to do....

Last edited by Bayard; 07-29-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Huh. I like ALL this stuff. You guys are all a buncha haters.

Okay, I don't like Trump. Trump or religion. Trump, religion, and sports. And pineapple-flavored semen.
I dunno, I could see pineapple-flavored semen catching on. It's gotta beat semen-flavored semen.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I've always maintained that hot dogs and catsup (not ketchup - I'm a grownup, thank you) are mutually inclusive. Which is to say hot dogs are only edible with catsup on them and catsup is only edible if it's on a hot dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
That reminds me of my contribution to the OP.

Condiments. All of them, by god. The whole world pretends that ketchup, mustard, relish, mayo, etc., are acceptable things to put on perfectly good sandwiches or burgers.
I consider myself a meat purist, so I agree with this. Why cover up the heavenly flavor of good meat with a bunch of weird stuff. Hot dogs are an exception, because they do not qualify as good meat.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
I dunno, I could see pineapple-flavored semen catching on. It's gotta beat semen-flavored semen.
Maybe we can poach some flavor chemist. Reuben-flavored? Black Raspberry? This could be big.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLogan View Post
Maybe we can poach some flavor chemist. Reuben-flavored?
Reuben is waving his hand wildly to volunteer.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
I live under a rock, and the concept of Pokemon Go has just barely crept in enough that I'm aware something called "Pokemon Go" exists. But this makes me interested. This sounds like something I might be able to get my five year old to do....
Plus, it's an adorable age where he really, really wants to believe that the pokemon are real, and not just on the phone. He has requested a real pokeball for his birthday to catch real pokemen.

His four year old brother comes out sometimes too, but he is actually looking under bushes and stuff for the pokemon, so he actually does believe it is real.

People in our neighborhood are walking around in the evening and talking to each other because of this, admittedly, stupid game. Anyone hating on it can suck an egg!
Old 07-29-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I don't believe any of the shops where you can try them are in my state; I might give them a try the next time I head out to the West Coast.

(And, as you go on to hint, no, you're not the first to ask; and, yes, I have a default answer when folks wonder why I'm in no particular hurry: the thing is, my wife is gorgeous. This usually prompts a confused reply. No, I explain, she's really, really gorgeous. So what? So what if she's hideous in full color?)

(Sure, but you can take the glasses off. But I'll KNOW! You can't UNSEE a thing like that! I've got a great thing going, here -- and you're trying to RUIN IT FOR ME!)
Not sure if these are the exact glasses referenced, but there are a bunch of youtube videos of color-blind people trying Enchroma glasses for the first time. Many of them are very moving. Here's one but there are lots, just search on Enchroma.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
It's gotta beat semen-flavored semen.
Don't knock it . . . . . . . . .
Old 07-29-2016, 08:44 PM

Craft beer and wine aficionados - I get it to an extent, a palate can be refined somewhat, but the mass majority of people vocally savoring the oak and nutmeg notes and what not just looked at the damn side of the bottle beforehand for what to say.

Trump - I work hard to understand opposing view points and find possible solutions or at least fractions of common ground on disagreements. I have no understanding of the man's motivations that are not ugly so I am bewildered at the ardent support for him even in a protest 'all politicians are crooks and liars' capacity because so is he.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Q. View Post
Not sure if these are the exact glasses referenced, but there are a bunch of youtube videos of color-blind people trying Enchroma glasses for the first time. Many of them are very moving. Here's one but there are lots, just search on Enchroma.
Hmm. I just now searched on Enchroma, and they apparently don't help you pass that stupid do-you-see-the-dots-and-can-you-read-the-number-they-form test.

Now, I'm just guessing, here, but -- is it possible these glasses just make stuff look wacky to the color-blind, who of course don't know what the actual colors would look like and so merely think they've finally gotten a backstage pass to reality?

Is this like those x-ray specs advertised in old comic books, is what I'm wondering.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:29 PM

Thomas Pynchon. The guy is a world-renowned novelist and I haven't yet met anyone who managed to finish one of his books (and if I did, I'd probably assume the person was lying). I give him points, though, for appearing as a guest voice on The Simpsons (but maybe that wasn't really him, and the "appearance" was just more of the Pynchon put-on).

Karlheinz Stockhausen. I've heard tons of this guy's music, and I even attended the world premiere of a so-called "opera" that he wrote. None of it made any sense, and I can't escape the feeling that his career was a massive, multi-decade practical joke.

Humphrey Bogart. I've never been able to figure out why people consider him a great actor. He played every role in exactly the same flat, affectless, nuance-free way.

Starbucks. They've gotten the whole world to go along with the fiction that burned coffee tastes good.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:02 AM

Sliced bread. I used to think the idiom was used ironically for inventions that make products worse. I'd rather eat freshly sliced fresh bread every time.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
. . . catsup (not ketchup - I'm a grownup, thank you) . . .
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean or who you're calling childish.

Last edited by RadicalPi; 07-30-2016 at 03:05 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:26 AM

There are many things that have been mentioned - popular culture items - that I never expected to enjoy, and don't, but they're not popular with my peers either. Pokemon, Kardashians, etc.

But, two that really, really bother me are the music of the Grateful Dead and Bob Dylan. All of my peers *love* their music. I WANT to enjoy it. But, it just grates on me. Bob Dylan's music is best when performed by someone else. I've bought their albums. I've gone to their shows. I've talked to their fans. But, I just don't get it. They're just ... mediocre as far as I can tell.

I've never particularly understood why politics needs to be such a popularity contest. Maybe that's driven by the need to raise money all the time? Otherwise, you know, as politicians, be competent and, as responsible voters, vote for competent people.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Sometimes swatches aren't enough for people to decide if they like a color. Luckily for them, the hardware store he worked at saved his sample panels.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Homeopathy. Why normally intelligent people spend large amounts of money on what is mostly quackery is beyond my ken. I think they only tout its benefits because they're afraid to admit they've been conned.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:16 AM

Huh. Maybe I'm the one that's weird, but I have no trouble understanding why people like or believe things I don't like or disbelieve. I don't agree with them, but I understand, usually, what it is about them or the thing in question that attracts them.
Even liberals are easy to understand, despite the fact that they're incredibly wrong nearly all the time.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
Thomas Pynchon. The guy is a world-renowned novelist and I haven't yet met anyone who managed to finish one of his books (and if I did, I'd probably assume the person was lying). I give him points, though, for appearing as a guest voice on The Simpsons (but maybe that wasn't really him, and the "appearance" was just more of the Pynchon put-on).
*jumps up and down, waves hand in air*

I've read all of Gravity's Rainbow! In fairness, it was many moons ago, when I was young, and I didn't have easy access to all the mind-numbing distractions that I have now. I also started reading Mason & Dixon, but internet pornography came of age when I was about half way through, which pretty much killed that project stone dead.

I actually do think that one should be wary of taking Pynchon too seriously, and that there is a risk of turning into something of a pseudo-intellectual twit if one does so (which, BTW, applies to a lot of things). But I don't think it's Pynchon's fault. He's essentially a comedic writer (sometimes side-splittingly funny), and he clearly has a kooky sense of humor, in general (being a reclusive author, only to then appear on The Simpsons with a bag over his head, should illustrate that well enough). At times, I really do think he's taking the piss. But I don't want to blame him if someone doesn't get his jokes.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:32 AM

Too late for edit:

I should have added: I have also read a couple of his shorter novels. They're not all giant bricks.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalPi View Post
Yeah. . . That one had me scratching my head, too.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:46 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

OK, we all get it. You're more iconoclastic than the next guy. Big deal. Like Ike, I like a lot of the stuff mentioned in this thread. But the one thing that HAS to be a joke of mammoth proportions stretching over decades is Doctor Who.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:50 PM

Professional sports is a joke, but it's a joke primarily being played on the most avid sports fans.

First, let's get the stereotypically most homophobic males to watch a bunch of physically fit males run around in Lycra. Extra points if this is football, so they're actively attempting to hump... er, tackle each other. "Ball-handling" puns are just a bonus at this point, really.

Next, let's make these supposedly action-oriented games as boring as possible to actually watch. I think it was George Will who said that football is the most American of sports, being board meetings punctuated by violence. Baseball is notoriously dull, to the point a recitation of statistics is a practical necessity in order to keep drowsiness from setting in. Golf is the intrusion of advanced Buddhist meditation practices into the Western world, and that's what it's like to play the damned game. My point, however, is that football, which is supposed to be this fast-paced action sport with snaps and turnovers and tackles, is just as boring as the others except in very brief bursts, suitable for five-second promos and sports commentary shows later on.

And, of course, there's the name. Football has two separate definitions, which wouldn't be so bad if one of those didn't refer to the most popular game inside the lone remaining superpower and the other didn't refer to the most popular game literally everywhere else on Earth. If 'football' meant something else in, say, Canada, nobody would know or care. It literally would never come up. But no, it has to be another example of America vs The World. Shenanigans, I say.

Finally, note how I've been talking about football this whole time as the default sport. The most "sport" sport. In theory, baseball is America's game. In practice, baseball players could go on strike and nobody would notice. Baseball is hyped as this Great American Pass-Time and absolutely nobody gives a good god damn about it. Everyone's supposed to like it, nobody does, and somehow the perception never changes.

I can't get too worked up over it, though. I'm not the one being gulled.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalPi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
Yeah. . . That one had me scratching my head, too.
Not calling anyone childish. But when I was growing up for the most part only kids called the red stuff "ketchup" (or "katchup").

Catsup commercial
Another catsup commercial.

Note both the spelling and pronunciation.

Print ad
Another one

Heinz was an exception, but they did that to distinguish themselves from other companies. It wasn't until I was in college, with the infamous FDA classification of "ketchup" (but not catsup) as a vegetable for school lunch purposes, that most other companies changed the spelling so they'd be able to sell their product to schools. When the last holdout, Del Monte, made the change Dennis Miller made fun of it by saying "In a show of solidarity, the long-running Broadway musical changed its name to 'Ketch".
Old 07-30-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Hmm. I just now searched on Enchroma, and they apparently don't help you pass that stupid do-you-see-the-dots-and-can-you-read-the-number-they-form test.

Now, I'm just guessing, here, but -- is it possible these glasses just make stuff look wacky to the color-blind, who of course don't know what the actual colors would look like and so merely think they've finally gotten a backstage pass to reality?

Is this like those x-ray specs advertised in old comic books, is what I'm wondering.
You may be onto something! Although it seems I recall reading something about testing or studies done with users of Enchroma-type glasses before they were available for sale that indicated the wearers were indeed seeing colors the way non-color-blind people see them, or at least *closer* to that way, there apparently being a range of results.

OTOH, maybe the testing or studies were funded by the makers of the glasses. I have seen some clips though where the wearers accurately could match up, say, blue markers as resembling someone's blue eyes or blue shirt or whatever. But of course maybe they're just matching up the same wacky colors, which aren't "my" blue or "your" blue at all! Off to place my order for x-ray specs...
Old 07-30-2016, 08:20 PM

Agree with the previous posts about Springsteen and cheese.

I think a few influential rock critics jumped on the Springsteen train early on, and other critics followed along blindly. I love the music of that era, and I think some of Springsteen's stuff is ok, but it doesn't do anything for me.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think Picasso and Dali were actually revolutionary artists but every abstract artist since then is scamming us.

I think it's amusing that Dali sold blank canvases with his signature on it. I could actually see him as a con artist, but I like his paintings.