Old 08-08-2016, 10:38 AM

For myself: Game of Thrones

VeryCoolSpouse and I watched the entire first season to keep up with our friends and family who were so excited about it. We hated every freakin' moment. The plots are stupid, there is no character to like or to cheer for, blood everywhere. Yuck.
Advertisements  
Old 08-08-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCoolUserName View Post
Most white wine tastes exactly like beer to me, too. I must not have a very refined palate.

I don't get GoT either. I'm a sci-fi/fantasy geek, even, and it just doesn't do it for me.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldurson View Post
Also, "Mad Men"... I watched the first episode and that is what everyone was watching? All I can think is that it must have gotten much, much better, but the first episode was a real yawner.
FWIW, I watched the first two or three episodes (on DVD from Netflix) and it didn't really do much for me, so I dropped it. Some time later, my sister convinced me to give it another try, so I picked up where I had left off and quickly got hooked. I never did revisit those first episodes, though.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCoolUserName View Post
For myself: Game of Thrones

VeryCoolSpouse and I watched the entire first season to keep up with our friends and family who were so excited about it. We hated every freakin' moment. The plots are stupid, there is no character to like or to cheer for, blood everywhere. Yuck.
Word.

I think we made it through about half of season one. It was a slog with basically three plot devices: Rape women; kill everyone; big freakin' ice wall.

Mom is a rabid fan and swears I'd love it if I just read the books. I got through one god-awful chapter of Martin's first in the series before lighting it afire and flinging it out the window (which really means: put it on the "Free Krap" table at work).
Old 08-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
Word.

I think we made it through about half of season one. It was a slog with basically three plot devices: Rape women; kill everyone; big freakin' ice wall.

Mom is a rabid fan and swears I'd love it if I just read the books. I got through one god-awful chapter of Martin's first in the series before lighting it afire and flinging it out the window (which really means: put it on the "Free Krap" table at work).
Game of Thrones may be the only TV series I like where I didn't like the book.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Sausage Party. I'm convinced this movie is an elaborate prank that Teirnan and Vernon are pulling on the world. The real question is: Who financed this?
Old 08-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Jazz music.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Nobody really likes Scotch; they just drink it because it is sophisticated.
The first whisky I tasted was Laphraoig, which is like drinking cigar ashes.

But years later I came at it a different way, by going to a Scotch tasting and telling them what I liked to drink, and they found me scotches that were enjoyable to drink.

Saying you don't like scotch, or beer, or wine, is like saying you don't like colours.
You just haven't found the one that you like yet, and you haven't met the people who can help you identify what you would like.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
The first whisky I tasted was Laphraoig, which is like drinking cigar ashes.

But years later I came at it a different way, by going to a Scotch tasting and telling them what I liked to drink, and they found me scotches that were enjoyable to drink.

Saying you don't like scotch, or beer, or wine, is like saying you don't like colours.
You just haven't found the one that you like yet, and you haven't met the people who can help you identify what you would like.
I'm happy for you, that you managed to find something to drink that tastes good to you. Your patronizing attitude, not so much. I've tried various types of drinks on 3 continents, beers, wines, hard liquor, etc. It all tastes the same, like piss smells. And I mean the same, with just hints of a small difference. I'm sure if I worked at it I could train myself to drink the stuff, but why bother?
Old 08-24-2016, 01:25 PM

I can accept that maybe my tastes don't always line up with the popular ones, and I can usually recognize when something is objectively good, but not to my particular taste.

So I see why people like "Mad Men", "Breaking Bad" and "The Walking Dead", to name three in particular that I didn't ever really go for, despite seeing how they can be entertaining. Hell, I haven't even given up on "Breaking Bad" yet, but after 10-12 episodes, it still hasn't grabbed me in a way that makes me want to go out of my way to watch it.

The thing that I can't help feeling like people are pulling my leg about is when fully grown and educated adults, who can presumably read well are going on and all excited about reading* children's book series like the Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Divergent or whatever. Every time I read about this, I keep thinking "You're an adult, and you can read any of the great literature of the world, or even not-so-great, but appropriate reading level literature, and THIS is what you choose to trumpet to the heavens that you spend your time reading?" I can't help but think there's a joke there somewhere that I haven't been let in on yet.

* While I am somewhat disdainful of the idea of adults reading children's books, I actually think that children/teenager novels make great movies- the complexity and pacing is such that they lend themselves to movies very well without having to make too many hard decisions about what to cut and what to save.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:18 PM

You can't understand why people may be interested in child-like adventure and exploration?

And heck, I'll take any of those 'children books' over stuff like Romance novels, which supposedly are for adults (even 'Divergent', which I thought was terrible).

I'd rather read plenty of interesting and fun YA fiction over quite a bit of 'adult' dreck I've read over the years.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but -- how do you feel about other sweet-and-savory stuff? Chicken slathered in a honey barbecue sauce? Salted caramel? Maple-glazed bacon? Prosciutto-wrapped melon? Chocolate-covered popcorn? Peanut butter and jelly?

(Snack mix, built around pretzel sticks and M&Ms?)
This is what happens when I don't come into a thread for a while...

There is some sweet-and-savory stuff I enjoy (Prosciutto melon is heavenly, as is chocolate-covered bacon), but by and large I'm not a fan (Cinnamon Raisin Bagels make me want to stab someone).
Old 08-24-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok View Post
I'm happy for you, that you managed to find something to drink that tastes good to you. Your patronizing attitude, not so much. I've tried various types of drinks on 3 continents, beers, wines, hard liquor, etc. It all tastes the same, like piss smells. And I mean the same, with just hints of a small difference. I'm sure if I worked at it I could train myself to drink the stuff, but why bother?
Exactly how I am with any type of seafood. It all tastes the same and I don't enjoy it.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:55 PM

Anthropogenic global warming
Old 08-25-2016, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Yeah, and saying you don't like Monteverdi, Lehar or Glass is like saying you don't like oxygen. Right.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:20 PM

1 and 2/3rds episodes into Stranger Things, I'm completely baffled that this show is rated 9.1 out of 10 on IMDB.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:39 PM

Parenthood.

There is a big part of me that is convinced that having a kid completely ruins your life. Yet all parents have agreed to go on and on about how fulfilling and magical it is, so that we happily childless people (with time and money and energy and freedom) can never know what a horrible, horrible mistake you have made.

(Okay, my tongue is gently pushing against my cheek. But I have never once felt the slightest desire to procreate, and I honestly don’t get it.)
Old 08-29-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
Parenthood.

There is a big part of me that is convinced that having a kid completely ruins your life. Yet all parents have agreed to go on and on about how fulfilling and magical it is, so that we happily childless people (with time and money and energy and freedom) can never know what a horrible, horrible mistake you have made.

(Okay, my tongue is gently pushing against my cheek. But I have never once felt the slightest desire to procreate, and I honestly don’t get it.)
It's one of those things that you can't really understand on the outside, and can't really explain on the inside. From the outside perspective, it looks horrific, but from the inside, life without your kids seems... consumed with trivialities.

Last edited by bump; 08-29-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAdian View Post
...[T]here were only three things I would refuse to eat...
Fruitcake, raisins, and snails?
Old 08-29-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
It's one of those things that you can't really understand on the outside, and can't really explain on the inside. From the outside perspective, it looks horrific, but from the inside, life without your kids seems... consumed with trivialities.
See, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:05 AM

I know, I shouldn't criticize or judge people who have different diets/specific diets, and in general I don't do that, but - I find it hard to believe that fruitarianism isn't a joke.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok View Post
I've tried various types of drinks on 3 continents, beers, wines, hard liquor, etc. It all tastes the same, like piss smells.
Would you try to drive, or paint, without training and expect to be good at it?
So why would you expect to be able to understand alcohol without proper training?

There is a range of palates. The most popular beer in the world taste likes horse piss, and I would never recommend anyone drink it, but I can find you a beer that you'll like.

Same with wine and spirits. You've got to find someone competent to show you what will actually taste good to you.