Old 08-08-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Rat View Post
These Mezzetta Olives are the ones at my grocery. Love 'em, even without booze.
Yeppers, those are my goto as well. Tasty sliced on toast covered with old cheddar, too!
Advertisements  
Old 08-08-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Yeah...you can have a Martini with a twist of lemon or a Martini with an olive, but you have to call a Martini with a pickled onion a Gibson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
Ya got it, a martini contains gin (default) or vodka, plus a measurable, detectable amount of vermouth. Garnished iced vodka/gin is not a martini.
My standard martini used to be ice, vodka, a splash of vermouth, and an olive. But now the olive has been superseded by a far superior garnish -- it's technically a pickled onion, but no ordinary picked onion! It's a Sable & Rosenfeld tipsy onion -- soaked in a vermouth-laden pickling broth. It's sometimes hard to find so I have many jars in reserve. There is no comparison with an ordinary pickled onion which tends to be harsh and strongly flavored -- these are beautifully mild and ooze vermouth flavor --just perfect for a martini even if some insist on calling it a Gibson, and I don't even bother with vermouth now.

Last edited by wolfpup; 08-08-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:22 PM

My standard martini recipe ("Martini please, Hendricks, not too dry, a little dirty straight up with a twist and 2 olives") goes like this:

2 shakes of Angostura bitters in an ice frosted glass
2 oz Hendricks gin (kept in freezer)
1/4 oz dry vermouth (kept in fridge)
1 tsp olive juice

Shake with super cold ice in a frozen shaker; pour into the glass. Twist a lemon peel over the top to release the oils, but don't add the twist to the drink. Garnish with 2 olives and slip into an icy shiver at the first sip!

Now I want one.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

I had a martini the other night that was accompanied by 3 pimento filled olives. Those were the first olives I have eaten that did not make me want to gag.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:31 PM

A countably infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar. The lead mathematician says to the bartender "martinis for us please." The bartender says "one round of Gibsons coming up."

The lead mathematician asks "why's that?" The bartender says "your order needs to be olive-null"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

What is with all these stupid "martini" recipes that include things like "while looking at a bottle of vermouth" or whatever that sez it's 100% straight gin? Why the fuck is straight gin more sophisticated than a martini?
Old 08-09-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
What is with all these stupid "martini" recipes that include things like "while looking at a bottle of vermouth" or whatever that sez it's 100% straight gin? Why the fuck is straight gin more sophisticated than a martini?
Agreed. Or maybe it's just a classier way to ask for a glass of gin.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
About the only martini I've had in 30 years is a Cajun martini made with a jalapeno. It was part of a special Cajun menu set up by Paul Prudhomme to educate New Yorkers about real Cajun food.
Thank you!

It's mentioned in a Jimmy Buffett song, and I could never find another reference.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Pretty much. Both are gin and vermouth, plus garnish. There are variations in the ratios of gin to vermouth, but martinis have variations of that, too. Wikipedia gives the same ratio of gin and vermouth for both drinks: 6:1.

Of course, nowadays, martini usually signifies "vodka martini," just as it used to signify "dry martini." "Martini" was the name of a different drink with a 1:1 ratio of gin and sweet vermouth.
Couldn't possibly have to do with the best known brand of vermouth being Martini & Rossi …
Old 08-10-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Amen.
Quote:
Jared Brown wants you be nicer to your vermouth.
He'd like you to stop making those tired jokes when you order your so-called dry martini. He'd rather you didn't quote Alfred Hitchcock's martini recipe, calling for "five parts gin and a quick glance at a bottle of vermouth," or Winston Churchill's, which calls for drinking a tumbler of gin while bowing in the direction of France. And he isn't amused when you ask the bartender to simply wave a bottle of vermouth over the shaker. In his opinion, the joke's on you, because you're not really drinking a martini anyway. You're drinking a cold glass of gin.
"Vermouth gets picked on, and it doesn't deserve to be," says Brown, cocktail scholar, consultant and co-author of "Shaken Not Stirred: A Celebration of the Martini." "Vermouth is the least-understood common beverage behind bars today."
Most of all, Brown wants you to take better care of your vermouth. Go to your liquor cabinet, fish out that ancient bottle and pour it down the drain. Now go buy a fresh bottle and, this time, keep it in the fridge. "I will die a happy man," says Brown, "if I leave this life having only succeeded in leading the world to the understanding that vermouth is a wine and, like port, spoils a month or two after opening." Spoiled vermouth tastes like, well, spoiled wine.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032000273.html
Old 08-10-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLir View Post
Couldn't possibly have to do with the best known brand of vermouth being Martini & Rossi …
The history's pretty murky, actually.

From what I can tell, the big sin of most martini-makers is to leave out the bitters. They're what make it a cocktail.

Tradtionally it was orange bitters, but there are plenty of other kinds out there to try, as very few cocktails are married to one specific type of bitters (the Sazerac is the only one I can think of, actually)
Old 08-10-2016, 11:37 AM

I really like grapefruit bitters in martinis.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Rat View Post
These Mezzetta Olives are the ones at my grocery. Love 'em, even without booze.
Well, as long as we're showing our sources. My olive of choice is this.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Thank you!
Old 08-10-2016, 02:24 PM

I make tritinis: gin, vermouth and 3 extra-large olives—one stuffed with an almond, one stuffed with blue-cheese and one with a pit (to spit at the bartender, letting him know you need another).

Of course, in order to compensate for the displaced gin from 3 extra-large olives you need a large martini glass—like this.

Of course, you need an extra-large glass to compensate for the displaced gin from the woman (who of course is needed to seductively hand-feed you the olives).

Once, when I ran out of olives, I used pickled toes. But that was only good for ten drinks.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:18 AM

Quote:
A Gimlet is a whiskey sour made with gin. A Daiquiri is a Gimlet made with rum.
And if you stir it with a chopstick, it's a hickory daiquiri, doc.

-MMM-

(gag stolen from Spider Robinson)
Old 08-11-2016, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
A Gimlet is a whiskey sour made with gin.
I am pretty sure that is wrong.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Indeed.

A gimlet is gin with Rose's Lime Juice, a bottled lime cordial product (you've seen it, I'm sure).

A whiskey sour made with gin would be, appropriately enough, a gin sour.

http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/dr...cocktail-0912/
Old 08-11-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
I really like grapefruit bitters in martinis.
Me too!

And, madmonk28, I liked your citation about vermouth. Vermouth and quinquinas are rather unappreciated. Good thing, I guess, as they are still rather cheap. I really enjoy what I call a "reverse martini." Especially on a hot summer evening. Mostly vermouth with a dash of gin, shaken, served with a garnish or lemon twist. Turns out that's a thing, and was enjoyed by the likes of Julia Child and Queen Elizabeth.

As for garnish, I prefer a twist, but bleu cheese olives aren't bad. I've used cornichons and also slivers of pickled red pepper when entertaining.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Yeah, I was generalizing. A whiskey sour is lemon juice, sugar, and booze. As bump said, a Gimlet should have Rose's Lime Juice, which is lime juice and sugar in a bottle.

If you have no Rose's, you could make a Gimlet with fresh lime juice and sugar (a gin Daiquiri!), which is probably a superior drink.

What I was getting at in my "liquor semantics" post is that all three of these cocktails are "punch." Without the "weak" part. You know the old mnemonic rhyme....One of sour, two of sweet, three of strong, and four of weak.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:08 PM

How about one of those hard-boiled eggs soaked in beet juice?

"We're gonna need a bigger martini glass."
Old 08-11-2016, 09:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Oh my God, now I want a cold pickled egg.

It;s so hot and oppressive in NYC right now, all I want to eat is cold food.

See the thread I started on gazpacho.

You will make a pitcher of it, and you will revere me like a god.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Ukelele Ike, this is a hijack, but if you like anchovies I want to know, have you ever tried bagna cauda, the hot oil dip from Italy?

As Dr. Franklin said to Michaeal Garibaldi, on Babylon 5, "I can feel my arteries hardening just being in the same room with it."
Since Richard Biggs died of an aortic dissection he might have been right.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I was generalizing. A whiskey sour is lemon juice, sugar, and booze. As bump said, a Gimlet should have Rose's Lime Juice, which is lime juice and sugar in a bottle.

If you have no Rose's, you could make a Gimlet with fresh lime juice and sugar (a gin Daiquiri!), which is probably a superior drink.

What I was getting at in my "liquor semantics" post is that all three of these cocktails are "punch." Without the "weak" part. You know the old mnemonic rhyme....One of sour, two of sweet, three of strong, and four of weak.
Cocktail naming is all in the details though; technically a vodka martini is a "Kangaroo", not a martini of any kind. And for that matter, to be a cocktail, it pretty much has to follow the "spirits, bitters, sweetener" formula, where the sweetener can be sugar, like in an Old Fashioned, or some sort of vermouth, like in a Manhattan or Martini. Leaving the ibtters out makes it some kind of mixed drink (in a very pedantic and nitpicking sense).

I'm not sure they really count as "punch"- punches are more about that ratio above than anything else- to be a punch, it would be more like a Tom Collins or a gin fizz than anything else- something like 0.5 oz lime juice, 1 oz sugar, 1.5 oz gin, and 2 oz water/soda-water. Which I suspect would be too sweet, and not sour enough.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Wouldn't be a problem around here. I'd just run over to the local Walmart (which is open twenty-four hours a day) and buy a jar of olives.

This is what you get for choosing to live in a small town that doesn't offer the conveniences of modern living.
I would say not living near a Walmart is a feature, not a bug.

I am in Vancouver, the Walmart is pretty far away AND I would go to a 24 hour pharmacy with a decent grocery selection.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:30 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona Lisa Simpson View Post
I would say not living near a Walmart is a feature, not a bug.
Little Nemo, he was makin' wit da jokes.

I usually go to an olive bar in Greektown (up in Astoria, Queens) or to the local Whole Foods or other goormay shop, and fill a container half-and-half with green olives in garlic and green olives in Mediterranean herbs, then shake them together.

These are very good indeed either as table olives or in a Martini. The only drawback is when you drink outside, and the little vegetal herb flecks float up and you think you got a fly in your booze.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:46 AM

What goes in a Martini?

Depending on the variant, usually a .577/450 Boxer or a .303 British cartridge; although Turkish ones used an 11.43x55 rimmed cartridge or the 7.63x53mm Argentine round.

It's OK, I'll get my coat.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
A friend of mine would make martunis with a pickled tomato. I never really liked martunis, but I loved those pickled tomatoes. They were about the size of a nickel. Delicious.
Where they green tomatoes? If they were then they probably were tomolives.
http://oldsouth.com/product/6-pack-tomolives-32oz/
Old 08-15-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Enfield View Post
What goes in a Martini?

Depending on the variant, usually a .577/450 Boxer or a .303 British cartridge; although Turkish ones used an 11.43x55 rimmed cartridge or the 7.63x53mm Argentine round.

It's OK, I'll get my coat.
ME Do I really want to know how they go into you?: Looks at Handle....:

Last edited by swampspruce; 08-15-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
ME Do I really want to know how they go into you?: Looks at Handle....:
In an ideal universe, they wouldn't be going into me at all.

However, just in case someone is being whooshed: Martini-Enfield

Last edited by Martini Enfield; 08-16-2016 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:29 AM

I certainly hope not...
Old 08-16-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazpacho View Post
Where they green tomatoes? If they were then they probably were tomolives.
http://oldsouth.com/product/6-pack-tomolives-32oz/
I love you, tomolive, you're always a day away...