Old 08-15-2016, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Windows Defender wants me to review the files

... it's sending in for analysis. It started in Sunday and every few hours I'll get a burst of a popup in the lower right corner every few seconds giving me the option to review or send the file that last for twenty minutes or so.

The file is always in the directory Users/(name)/AppData/Local/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/n9orroos.default/cache2/entries and is a long string of hexadecimal with no extension. The files range in size from 1 to 60kb and there's over 12,000 of them, the vast majority of them from yesterday on. They go as far back as June when I was involuntarily upgraded to Win 10

I opened Settings for Windows Defender and found Automatic sample submission on. I turned if off then back on with no effect. I cleared the cache in Firefox which didn't clear out the directory above and had no effect. Googling n9orroos.default and just n9orroos came up empty.

I guess I can't blame Defender for being suspicious about files that get added at the rate of dozens per minute but why is it suddenly needing permission to send the files and why has Firefox changed what it does? Before it was generating the files only a few a day.

Oh, yeah; Firefox version is 47
Old 08-17-2016, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Bump.

Firefox is 48.0 now. Didn't help.