Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-17-2016, 09:34 AM
Whammo72 Whammo72 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 112
2006 lincoln navigator, lost key and fob

So I have a 2006 lincoln navigator. My wife claims I lost the only key and fob we have (fine, i did). luckily its in our driveway, sadly the alarm has drained the battery (led no longer flashes). The dealer says they can cut us a new key if we bring in the title or registration. Only issue with that is that the registration is in the glovebox and the doors are locked and it also has no power.

Looking into this it doesnt appear to be slim jim... able.

Any idea how to get into the car without resorting to breaking a window? Anyone? Beuler?
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 08-17-2016, 09:37 AM
jz78817 jz78817 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 9,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammo72 View Post
So I have a 2006 lincoln navigator. My wife claims I lost the only key and fob we have (fine, i did). luckily its in our driveway, sadly the alarm has drained the battery (led no longer flashes). The dealer says they can cut us a new key if we bring in the title or registration. Only issue with that is that the registration is in the glovebox and the doors are locked and it also has no power.
where's the title?

Quote:
Looking into this it doesnt appear to be slim jim... able.

Any idea how to get into the car without resorting to breaking a window? Anyone? Beuler?
I'd call a towing service which handles "lock-outs." they'll be your best bet.
  #3  
Old 08-17-2016, 09:42 AM
Whammo72 Whammo72 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
where's the title?.

The bank owns it.
  #4  
Old 08-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Whammo72 Whammo72 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
I'd call a towing service which handles "lock-outs." they'll be your best bet.
true, was hoping to spare expense but it looks like thats the next step.
  #5  
Old 08-17-2016, 09:49 AM
jz78817 jz78817 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 9,990
Ah, you live in a state where the lender holds the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammo72 View Post
true, was hoping to spare expense but it looks like thats the next step.
yeah, there are some specialty tools they have to get into various cars.
  #6  
Old 08-17-2016, 09:50 AM
Dewey Finn Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 24,608
If the lender holds the title, can you present the car loan paperwork to the dealer in lieu of it?
  #7  
Old 08-17-2016, 10:02 AM
Me_Billy Me_Billy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,420
I should think the least expensive option would be to get a duplicate registration from your DMV. Then take that to the dealer and get a key and fob.

While at the DMV, tell them your story and maybe they could give your something right then and there which states you are the registered owner?
  #8  
Old 08-17-2016, 10:39 AM
kayaker kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,578
IME, if you are a AAA member they will send someone to open your vehicle.
  #9  
Old 08-17-2016, 11:18 AM
Kimballkid Kimballkid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,493
If the lienholder is local, can you go to them and see about getting a copy of the title?
  #10  
Old 08-17-2016, 12:25 PM
Dewey Finn Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 24,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
If the lender holds the title, can you present the car loan paperwork to the dealer in lieu of it?
I assume that in a state in which the lender holds the title, there is another document one can use to prove ownership of the car.
  #11  
Old 08-17-2016, 12:39 PM
kayaker kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I assume that in a state in which the lender holds the title, there is another document one can use to prove ownership of the car.
It's in the glovebox.
  #12  
Old 08-17-2016, 12:44 PM
Dallas Jones Dallas Jones is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orygun forest
Posts: 4,456
Call your insurance company. They have everything you need on file. The registered owner, the lien holder/bank, VIN, everything.
  #13  
Old 08-17-2016, 12:52 PM
Dewey Finn Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 24,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I assume that in a state in which the lender holds the title, there is another document one can use to prove ownership of the car.
It's in the glovebox.
I would think there would be paperwork aside from the registration you could use.
  #14  
Old 08-17-2016, 06:12 PM
samclem samclem is offline
Graphite is a great
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 25,329
My local locksmith who makes car keys will come out and open the car, look at the VIN and make a chip key for $125. See if you can find such a locksmith in your neighborhood.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017