Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-02-2012, 11:25 AM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,149
Tell me about the Outlander series

One of my girlfriends is waaaay into this series. Anyone here love it, too? Or hate it?
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 08-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Athena Athena is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: da UP, eh
Posts: 13,053
I like the premise - WWII-era woman finds herself in 18th century Scotland - but after reading the first two books, it's far too romance-y and not enough historical-fictiony for me. But you're right, a lot of people love 'em. I think you need to like romances if you're really going to get into them.
  #3  
Old 08-02-2012, 11:49 AM
AuntiePam AuntiePam is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 18,119
What Athena said.

I've read just the first one and would characterize it as a bodice-ripper. It's not fair to judge a series based on one book, but I figure that since the first was so successful, Gabaldon probably stayed with the formula. This would mean that Jamie and Claire would have an on-again/off-again "relationship". They argue, she runs away, he chases her, he tears off her clothes, she swoons. Which is fine if that's what you're looking for.
  #4  
Old 08-02-2012, 11:59 AM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,149
Hmmm... NOT what I'm looking for. Not even close. Appreciate the heads-up.
  #5  
Old 08-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Athena Athena is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: da UP, eh
Posts: 13,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntiePam View Post
What Athena said.

I've read just the first one and would characterize it as a bodice-ripper. It's not fair to judge a series based on one book, but I figure that since the first was so successful, Gabaldon probably stayed with the formula. This would mean that Jamie and Claire would have an on-again/off-again "relationship". They argue, she runs away, he chases her, he tears off her clothes, she swoons. Which is fine if that's what you're looking for.
If anything, the second was worse than the first as far as bodice-ripping. In fact, I'm not sure I even got through the entire second book.

Sorta sucks, because the non-romance parts are pretty good.
  #6  
Old 08-02-2012, 01:33 PM
tim-n-va tim-n-va is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I like the premise - WWII-era woman finds herself in 18th century Scotland - but after reading the first two books, it's far too romance-y and not enough historical-fictiony for me. But you're right, a lot of people love 'em. I think you need to like romances if you're really going to get into them.
Slight hijack but are there any recommended books of this type with good "historical-fictiony" parts.

Fallam's Secret by Denise Giardina is a similar concept that I read several years ago and like but I confess I don't remember too well.
  #7  
Old 08-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Glory Glory is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,691
I loved the first book but liked each subsequent book less and less.
  #8  
Old 08-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Athena Athena is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: da UP, eh
Posts: 13,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-n-va View Post
Slight hijack but are there any recommended books of this type with good "historical-fictiony" parts.
What do you mean by "books-of-this-type"? Just historical fiction, or historical fiction with a bend towards Scotland, or historical fiction/romance blends, or...?
  #9  
Old 08-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Mona Lisa Simpson Mona Lisa Simpson is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Vancouver BC, Canada
Posts: 2,871
I just finished the first book yesterday. One part fantasy, one part historical fiction, one part porn with heavy BDSM themes. I don't like how the evil guy on top of all his evilness is actually gay (bi?) and a sadist.

But it is interesting enough to get me started on book the second, although 10 pages in I am seriously lost The continuity between book 1 and book 2 so far evades me, but it might be because I am 10 pages in.

(For what its worth I bought 5 books for a dollar at a yard sale, brand new.)
  #10  
Old 08-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Lsura Lsura is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Back in the South, y'all
Posts: 6,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona Lisa Simpson View Post
But it is interesting enough to get me started on book the second, although 10 pages in I am seriously lost The continuity between book 1 and book 2 so far evades me, but it might be because I am 10 pages in.

When I read them, I seem to remember having to skip #2, read #3, then go back and read #2 to understand it.
  #11  
Old 08-02-2012, 02:58 PM
tim-n-va tim-n-va is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
What do you mean by "books-of-this-type"? Just historical fiction, or historical fiction with a bend towards Scotland, or historical fiction/romance blends, or...?
Good question. I was thinking mostly of the modern person is a historical setting although the Scotland just link would be a plus for me.
  #12  
Old 08-02-2012, 03:48 PM
lisacurl lisacurl is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,394
I liked the first three books very much, the fourth was still okay. The rest are okay, but the entire series suffered with the introduction of the adult Brianna.
  #13  
Old 08-02-2012, 04:13 PM
kath94 kath94 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Surf City, dude!
Posts: 988
I bought the first book shortly after it came out, by accident. A friend had recommended a historical-type romance about time travel. She couldn't recall the author or the title. I browsed my local bookstore & came across "Outlander." Then proceeded to get the intended recommender and everyone else at work hooked.

Each time I finish a book I missed my friends Jamie & Claire. Love 'em!
  #14  
Old 08-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Suse Suse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Great Black Swamp
Posts: 1,028
I don't think I'd call any of the books in this series 'bodice-rippers', having read many a bodice-ripper in my time. There is less and less 'romance' in each book with more of the emphasis being on the current events of whatever time they are in and how the characters are able to influence those (or not).

But a good (short) way to see for yourself how you would feel about taking on one of the larger books is to read one of the Lord John Grey series. Grey is a subsidiary character in some of the Outlander series and Gabaldon has written some entertaining books about Grey's various adventures that aren't nearly as long as the Outlander books, with little to no romance and no requirement to believe in time-travel.

Last edited by Suse; 08-02-2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: tongue tied
  #15  
Old 08-02-2012, 10:24 PM
AuntiePam AuntiePam is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 18,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-n-va View Post
Slight hijack but are there any recommended books of this type with good "historical-fictiony" parts.

Fallam's Secret by Denise Giardina is a similar concept that I read several years ago and like but I confess I don't remember too well.
Post #16 in the Recommendation Compendium Stickie includes threads on time travel fiction and historical fiction. A favorite of many readers is Time After Time by Jack Finney.
  #16  
Old 08-03-2012, 08:09 AM
gallows fodder gallows fodder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,287
I read the first book when I was a hormonal teenager, and even in that heated state found the love scenes just too much and too annoying. Plus, there's a spanking scene that I guess is supposed to be hot but really is not.
  #17  
Old 08-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Eleanor of Aquitaine Eleanor of Aquitaine is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 3,026
I adore these books, and I'm not a big romance fan at all. I find them fascinating despite the valid complaints mentioned in this thread. Something about Gabaldon's writing clicks with me. The books are admittedly melodramatic and slightly ridiculous and I still love them. I've read them multiple times and they hold up. The third book is my favorite.

The spinoff series featuring Lord John is not as good, although it's getting better with each book - I really liked the last one, which is half Jamie and half John. Lord John is my favorite secondary character from the Outlander series.
  #18  
Old 08-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 74,428
Okay, I was confused for a minute. There's also a series by Jerry Axler but I checked and it's Outlanders not Outlander.

For the record, not a romance series. More of a SF post-apocalypse thriller about one man's battle against evil aliens and mutants. If any bodices get ripped in this series, it is incidental to someone being stabbed in the chest.
  #19  
Old 08-03-2012, 11:09 AM
limegreen limegreen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 702
Is it really sad that while watching the Olympic fencing I wanted to see a Jamie-like person come out with a huge broadsword and scare them witless?
  #20  
Old 08-03-2012, 12:24 PM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Okay, I was confused for a minute. There's also a series by Jerry Axler but I checked and it's Outlanders not Outlander.

For the record, not a romance series. More of a SF post-apocalypse thriller about one man's battle against evil aliens and mutants. If any bodices get ripped in this series, it is incidental to someone being stabbed in the chest.
This must be the one that is also a movie.
  #21  
Old 08-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 74,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
This must be the one that is also a movie.
Are you talking about the Jim Caviezel movie? Apparently the source material on that was Beowulf with a SF updating.
  #22  
Old 08-03-2012, 07:58 PM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,149
Ok. Yeah, I guess that was the one. I didn't examine the imdb entry too closely. My bad.
  #23  
Old 08-20-2016, 11:11 PM
TillDeathDoUsPart TillDeathDoUsPart is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1
Show Sucks

My Ex-Wife was obsessed with this shoddy show. She always used to go watch it at her "sisters" place. Well long story short her sister came by the house one day looking for her. It just happened to be the day of the premiere for the season 2 finale of Outlander. I tracked her cell phone (her location was no where near her sisters house). I drove to said location and waited for her appearance. I confronted her and the man she was with and she admitted to having an affair with him. When I informed her that she had broken the Prenup and would get nothing in the divorce to follow she broke down and begged me to take her and her "flaws" as she put them, back into my life. I refused and the divorce went quick and smooth as far as divorces are concerned. She later killed her new boyfriend and then herself. I'm guessing out of guilt. Ironic that a show about a cheating spouse caused her downfall.
  #24  
Old 08-21-2016, 12:15 AM
raventhief raventhief is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by TillDeathDoUsPart View Post
My Ex-Wife was obsessed with this shoddy show. She always used to go watch it at her "sisters" place. Well long story short her sister came by the house one day looking for her. It just happened to be the day of the premiere for the season 2 finale of Outlander. I tracked her cell phone (her location was no where near her sisters house). I drove to said location and waited for her appearance. I confronted her and the man she was with and she admitted to having an affair with him. When I informed her that she had broken the Prenup and would get nothing in the divorce to follow she broke down and begged me to take her and her "flaws" as she put them, back into my life. I refused and the divorce went quick and smooth as far as divorces are concerned. She later killed her new boyfriend and then herself. I'm guessing out of guilt. Ironic that a show about a cheating spouse caused her downfall.
Wow.
  #25  
Old 08-21-2016, 12:20 AM
Sattua Sattua is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Close to home
Posts: 9,623
Frank? Is that you?
  #26  
Old 08-21-2016, 02:53 PM
Fir na tine Fir na tine is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntiePam View Post
Post #16 in the Recommendation Compendium Stickie includes threads on time travel fiction and historical fiction. A favorite of many readers is Time After Time by Jack Finney.
Could you provide a link to this stickey? If by any chance you're reading this thread after 4 years!
  #27  
Old 08-21-2016, 03:50 PM
Reluctant A. Reluctant A. is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,106
I can't believe this dude bumped a four year-old thread to give us a hot take about his ex-wife.
  #28  
Old 08-21-2016, 03:54 PM
Mahaloth Mahaloth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 27,061
I reported it.
  #29  
Old 08-22-2016, 01:04 AM
Rilchiam Rilchiam is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 15,920
The Season 2 finale of Outlander was about 6 weeks ago. Or did you mean Season 1, which was split into two segments and ended last spring?
  #30  
Old 08-22-2016, 08:04 AM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I reported it.
Wait! Not til I finish turning it into a screenplay!
  #31  
Old 08-22-2016, 08:52 AM
Biggirl Biggirl is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 17,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by TillDeathDoUsPart View Post
My Ex-Wife was obsessed with this shoddy show. She always used to go watch it at her "sisters" place. Well long story short her sister came by the house one day looking for her. It just happened to be the day of the premiere for the season 2 finale of Outlander. I tracked her cell phone (her location was no where near her sisters house). I drove to said location and waited for her appearance. I confronted her and the man she was with and she admitted to having an affair with him. When I informed her that she had broken the Prenup and would get nothing in the divorce to follow she broke down and begged me to take her and her "flaws" as she put them, back into my life. I refused and the divorce went quick and smooth as far as divorces are concerned. She later killed her new boyfriend and then herself. I'm guessing out of guilt. Ironic that a show about a cheating spouse caused her downfall.
But in the book, the cuckolded husband runs off and crashes his car, killing himself. So, wrong way around there, Mr. Gleeful.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017