English insults.

What is a:

1. git
  2. pillick
  3. cloth eared bint
    Thanks much.

Git = get, meaning progeny = bastard. I don’t know the other two.

“bint” is an Arabic word meaning ‘daughter of’; however, I have heard it used as a derogatory terms for a woman, particularly of Mid-Eastern descent, akin to the word “c*nt”.

Not sure about the ‘cloth-eared’ designation, unless it refers to the wearing of a veil.

You need to save this link.

Some of the meanings are not completely accurate but generally they are good.

Pillock - Someone who does something blindingly stupid.

Cloth-eared bint - This is two differant ones, cloth-eared = deaf or conveniently ignores conversation directed at one, bint is a woman - more in UK its generally an insulting term or may also be used to describe a sexually attractive woman, originates from Arabic meaning ‘daughter of’ as opposed to Bin(Osama Bin Laden) ‘son of’.

1. Knee biter
  1. Calling somebody a git is like calling them a shit. eg. You’re a little git, aren’t you?

2. pillick should be pillock and it means somebody is being stupid. eg. Don’t put it there, you pillock.

3. A bint is a not so nice term for a woman(bitch). I would presume it’s in reference to a woman who isn’t listening very carefully. eg How many times do I have to tell you, you cloth eared bint.

Are you listening to Monty Phyton?

4 = child

I always thought a git was a term for a pregnant cow. But I didn’t look at the link, so maybe I’m just making a prat out of myself.

Nah. Worked with some english blocks a little while back and never got around to asking what those things actually mean. They were good fun, that lot.

Piss off you tosser.

It’s not the most definitive source, nor terribly relevant to current usage, but Partridge’s A Dictionary of Historical Slang (Penguin, 1972, but deriving from his earlier works) knocks these off as follows:

bint A girl or women; a prostitute - in which role the female was often called saida [sah-eeda] bint, lit. 'a"Good-day!" daughter’, among soldiers in Egypt: late C.19-20. Direct ex Arabic

git! see GET! (Only occ. British.)

get! Abbr. get out, go away! clear out! Orig. (1884) U.S., where usually git! Anglacized ca 1900, but found in Australia ca 1890. Hume Nisbet in The Bushranger’s Sweetheart, 1892, ‘None of your damned impertinence. Get!’

pillocks; pillocky. ‘He’s talking pillocks’ (nonsense) and ‘Don’t talk so pillocky’ (so foolishly and nonsensically): Cockney: late C.19-20. Blend of PILL(s), testicle(s), and its synonym BALLOCKS.

He also lists pil(l)icock, pil(l)cock, pillock as “the penis”, but, slightly bizarrely, also pil(l)icock as “the female pudend”.

The entry for “bint” seems to correspond with current usage. “Git” is a bit more surprising; the Nisbet quote makes sense with the present meaning for “Git” replacing “Get”, but as a noun rather than a verb. With “pillock”, there’s again a shift: it now refers to the person rather what he says, though the examples would still make sense with “ballocks” (or rather “bollocks”) instead.

In practice, “git” and “pillock” are more or less interchangable.

To me, “a shit” has connotations of betrayal. “You acted like a shit” means you acted morally wrong; “you acted like a git” means merely means your behaviour was stupid.

If you want to hear how to use the term pillock to it’s most devastating and sarcastic effect, check any skit by Kenny Everett’s character Sid Snot. :eek:

In Scotland, at least, “bint” isn’t particularly insulting.

Nah but F.R.I.S.P is!!!

Do not use this or injury will probably result.

FRISP?

I was eating a packet of Frisps this morning. Have I been swallowing offensive potato snacks?

If you want a little more depth on the etymology and evolution of “git” try Worldwidewords , Michael Quinions wonderful word site. And, seeing that he’s UK based, his orientation leans that way.

Crusoe you have mail.

I don’t think it is a good idea to post the meaning of the acronym FRISP in a public arena as it is extremely offensive, as you will see.

Well, Hell’s Bells casdave. Now I’ve gotta know what FRISP means. Gotta link or sumpin’?

…still waiting on the mail, biggirl. I’ve also changed my email addresses lately, so I’ll wait and see.

Ah, found a link.

http://www.rnca.org.uk/humour/f.html

(warning: offensive slang contained)