Old 09-30-2016, 03:09 PM

My wife's maiden name was Carlotta Valdez, which was the name of a Spanish noblewoman who figured prominently in the Hitchcock movie Vertigo.

At one point, her name appeared on a tombstone in that movie.
Advertisements  
Old 09-30-2016, 03:33 PM

Ah... in the movie American Hustle, the fictional mayor of Camden, New Jersey (played by Jeremy Renner) was Carmine Polito. He was based on the real life mayor Angelo Errichetti.

Anyway, Carmine Polito was the owner of my favorite local pizza joint.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:51 PM

Well, my go-by name is shared by quite a few fictional characters - which is one reason I chose it, when I was at a time in my life that I needed to make a change. A good part of why I picked it was because so many fictional Maggies were awesome, sassy, tough-with-a-heart-of-gold women, and that was who I wanted to become. (I'm not tough, but I'm less of a pushover than I was before.)

Maggie "the cat" Pollard
Maggie Simpson - Baby with a Gun
Maggie the pilot from Northern Exposure

My birth-name is a name that is known but not common - there have been a few fictional characters, but not many. It's better known as a work of art.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:01 PM

A Jeffrey Archer book from a few years back had a secondary character named Rebecca. After a chapter or two, it was revealed that her last name was Armitage. Rebecca Armitage was my grandmother's name.

Ten or 20 chapters later, the character turned up again, only now she had a different last name. No explanation or reason; Archer was just being lazy.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

In RL a bunch of kings and two serial killers have my first name.
You would think it would be more popular in fiction but I can't think of anyone well known.
There was a well known horror series where the main character had my grandmothers maiden name.
There was another horror story where the character's first and last name was the same as my cousin's first and middle name. My cousin's name is so unusual I actually asked my aunt about it, thinking it might be an obscure name that was once popular but she just shrugged and said she picked it because it sounded neat.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:47 AM

I actually knew a woman at my church by the name "Jessica Lovejoy," which was the name of the evil daughter of the pastor on "The Simpsons."
Old 10-05-2016, 02:08 PM

When I was a kid, my family went to the drive-in to see the movie The World's Greatest Athlete. We were amused when one of the minor characters had our surname, which is not exactly rare but also not one most people hear or see with any regularity.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:52 PM

Four celebrities who happen to have the same name as comic book characters:

Ted Knight : "Too Close for Comfort" star and the original Starman
Robert Crane : "Hogan's Heroes" star and the original Robotman
Robert Reed : "Brady Bunch" star and the lead character of the original "Dial H for Hero"
James Olson/Olsen : "Andromeda Strain" star and Superman's Pal

Also, two comic book characters deliberately named after real people:

The Atom : named for Ray Palmer, editor of Amazing Stories
Blackhawk : named for Janos Prohaska, television actor and stuntman

Not sure if this was deliberate or not:

Jack Soo : "Barney Miller" star and Booster Gold's tech support buddy

Last edited by Cartoonacy; 10-06-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonacy View Post
Four celebrities who happen to have the same name as comic book characters:

Ted Knight : "Too Close for Comfort" star and the original Starman
Robert Crane : "Hogan's Heroes" star and the original Robotman
Robert Reed : "Brady Bunch" star and the lead character of the original "Dial H for Hero"
James Olson/Olsen : "Andromeda Strain" star and Superman's Pal

Also, two comic book characters deliberately named after real people:

The Atom : named for Ray Palmer, editor of Amazing Stories
Blackhawk : named for Janos Prohaska, television actor and stuntman

Not sure if this was deliberate or not:

Jack Soo : "Barney Miller" star and Booster Gold's tech support buddy

Janos Prohaska was especially famous for dressing up in animal costumes.

Seriously, when I was a kid, Janos used to appear regularly on "The Andy Williams Show" playing a cookie-loving bear.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
Janos Prohaska was especially famous for dressing up in animal costumes.
Including hortas and mugatus.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

My name is close enough to an X-Man's civilian name that as a kid it was easy to slip into that fantasy - ooo, I'm really that guy! Fun times when you're 13.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:47 PM

There's a self-help author with my exact name, a fiction author with the name people often call me, and a recently infamous politician with my same last name, but nobody I'm aware of in fiction.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:21 PM

I don't know of any fictional characters with my name, or even my last name alone.

A good friend's ex-husband shows up quite a bit as a fictional character -- he's got both a common first name and a common last name, so it's not surprising.

In just the same way that the name of Raymond Burr's character is the original Godzilla (and in Godzilla 1985) is ---- Steve Martin.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
In just the same way that the name of Raymond Burr's character is the original Godzilla (and in Godzilla 1985) is ---- Steve Martin.
Yeah, when they remade Godzilla I was hoping they'd cast Steve Martin as a reporter named Raymond Burr.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:13 PM

My dad's name -- first and last (and possibly middle, as well, but I can't remember), correct spelling and all -- were in a Bobbsey Twins book. I came across it when I was reading a Bobbsey Twin book when I was 7 or 8. As far as he knew, he didn't know the author.

According to howmanyofme.com, our last name is pretty rare, with just over 1,200 people in the USA having the last name. When I put in my dad's first and last names, there are currently only 6 with that combination. Back in the '60s, when I came across the name, there were probably less.

Our theory was that the author may have been married to one of my dad's shipmates from WWII.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:37 PM

A version of my name (nickname that only one person ever used for me, and my last name, which isn't common) was a character in a book that I saw mentioned, and the odd thing was that the girl had facial scars. I had been in an accident a few years before and had facial scars. I was a teenager, and decades pre-internet, so was never able to track it down, but it sort of scared me.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:30 PM

My first name is extremely uncommon, but my last name has popped recently as either a first or last name for characters in three different TV shows. (As well as a crewmember of the NCC-1701.)
Old 10-17-2016, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
More likely Bimmler or MacGoering.
By one of the freeways passing through Sacramento (I forget which one) there's a big building with a sign up by the freeway, "Goering's Jewish Sausages." Gave me pause the first time I saw it.

My first name is fairly common so I've seen it in works a number of times, but my last name is shared by only two families, the Scandahoovian bunch from Minnesota (raises hand) and the Jewish bunch from Baltimore. I've never seen it in fiction.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:49 PM

Jack Lemmon played a character with my name in the movie, "It Should Happen to You," although he spelled the last name wrong (that's a common problem with my last name). My name also shows up as one of the kids in Jumanji (not the one that grows up to be Robin Williams).
Old 10-17-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
By one of the freeways passing through Sacramento (I forget which one) there's a big building with a sign up by the freeway, "Goering's Jewish Sausages." Gave me pause the first time I saw it.
I shall refrain from making an outrageously offensive joke here!
Old 10-18-2016, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangahyando View Post
My family name is fairly common and ordinary; but it has yielded one fictional namesake which I've always found pleasing. Occurs in Kipling's ballad The Rhyme of the Three Sealers
How cool, I have one too! In the Same Boat mentions a minor character that has the same name as both my great-grandfather and his uncle; what made the hair stand up on the back of my neck when I first read it was that the characters grandfather 'died of the drink' - which is actually how my great-granddad's uncle died. I know Kipling lived in Vermont for a couple of years, and reading that made me wonder if he knew that side of the family somehow. Most likely not, though.

Other than that, the only fictional namesakes I know have been either villains (greedy chef), heavies (higher-up in the FBI), or comic foils (elementary school principal).

In the field of non-fiction, I attended a family reunion of my Swedish cousins a few years ago and found that one of them, having never met my mom's immediate family and knowing nothing of them, had named their child after my maternal grandfather. Complete coincidence, and all the more interesting because the name is an uncommon one these days and is extremely old-fashioned to boot.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:56 AM

There is one quite famous example of my surname in real life today. There is one well known fiction example of my surname from a rather popular HBO series. I'm pretty sure my surname made an appearance on Law and Order; SVU but I can't find a reference for it.

I have seen one of my brothers get "promoted" to Major and credited as a consultant for a movie I can't recall the name of.

Apparently my last name is or was quite common in the "old country", sort of like Smith or Jones in the US.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

One of the characters in Stephen King's "Hearts in Atlantis" and I share a first and last name
Old 10-19-2016, 07:37 PM

My last name isn't exactly rare, and there are some high profile things that use it after someone, but it is far from common.

I have never heard of any fictional character who has it at all. Inspired by this thread I looked up "<last-name> fiction" as was happy to see a novel I had never heard of, by an author I have a passing knowledge of, used it for a character.

Unfortunately reading the wikipedia, it was a novelization of an actual event, and was the real dudes name. So still no real fictional namesake.