Old 10-27-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I am an extremely slow writer. Forget about NaNoWriMo; I might be a NaNoWriDecade writer....
This might make you feel better: How long it took 30 writers to finish their famous novels.
Advertisements  
Old 10-30-2016, 12:46 PM
Confusing the Polarity
Charter Member

Found a cool site that might help some of you conquer the wordcount monster! It's called 4thewords, and it lets you gamify your writing! You battle monsters by writing words, do quests, and level up your character with XP, loot, and gear. It's got a free one-month trial, so it's perfect for jump-starting your NaNoWriMoing!

I'm loving it so far--it's really keeping me focused. Gotta slay that Reenu or Aracni before I can check Facebook!
Old 10-30-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
I have a compulsive editing problem that seems to be exacerbated by this program.
Exactly why I don't use it any more

The best word processor for me is just Google Docs -- but with the text colour set to white. Yes, white on white. SO I CAN'T READ IT AS I GO.

Leads to some messy typo-ridden paragraphs, but heck, they're paragraphs!

I've failed Nano 9? 10? times. But I have two chapters (2000ish) words of an old story that I just got reinvigorated about. I have an outline - more, I have a synopsis. I have fucking solid, REAL characters, and I know a lot about them.

Watch me fall!
Old 10-30-2016, 02:54 PM

I love the white text idea, thanks. I have a real problem with going back and criticizing what I'm writing as I'm writing it. I read somewhere to just write the first draft as fast as possible and not tweak it, because as the story evolves, a lot of your words and scenes are going to be cut. I think it's good advice.

Last edited by Renee; 10-30-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
I love the white text idea, thanks. I have a real problem with going back and criticizing what I'm writing as I'm writing it. I read somewhere to just write the first draft as fast as possible and not tweak it, because as the story evolves, a lot of your words and scenes are going to be cut. I think it's good advice.
You're welcome! Yes, I think it's the whole idea behind Nano - quantity over quality
Old 10-31-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I've tried that, and I just can't do it. I have a system. Write a thousand words or so until I come to a good stopping point. Then I sit back, have a cigarette, and go back to make sure it made sense. It's how I've always worked.

I got a pretty good idea on Saturday night somewhere in my long-drive road hypnosis, but I have mostly forgotten it now, which is a shame. I'm 90% certain it was inspired by something on the radio, but since everybody else in the car had fallen asleep, I don't think anybody will be able to jog my memory.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:28 AM

If there are any other Dopers doing NaNoWriMo, please PM me.

Spice Weasel, I agree with you. I don't want to know where the story is going. I want to surprise myself.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:49 AM

I'm in the exact opposite camp: I won't write word one until I know that the story I have in mind actually HAS a satisfying ending possible. I've read far too many books, even professionally published ones, where the ending just sort of whimpers away. Like the author reached the contracted 180k words and then bailed as fast as possible.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:31 AM

Heck, I've even decided I won't fight the language demons. If dialogue in English has Spanish punctuation, whatever. And if stuff jumps from language to language, it's not as if I'm planning on forcing the world to read the resulting mess!

I've got a better idea about how people got to the beginning of the story than about the story. My crystal ball is saying there shall be many flashbacks and expository dialogue.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:03 PM

Final preparations tonight. Scrivener has a NaNoWriMo template. I'll post some resources tonight.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2016, 01:24 PM

I have two pieces I could work on.

One is new, and therefore, in theory I should be able to just chug along with the new inspiration wave.

The other has been sitting in drawer. It's good, but thinking about it makes me tired.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:25 PM

Possible thread-jack... fair disclosure, I opened the thread just to figure out WTF the subject is about. So for years I've been thinking "I should try writing", but it just seems, y'know, hard.

So when I learned about NaNoWriMo, I had a lightbulb moment - of course there are online writing communities! That seems like it would be useful and a lot of fun. Anybody have any recommendations? I think NaNo might be a bit much for me to bite off. Or is it? You tell me. My level is: I type really fast and I know a bunch of words.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:31 PM

Sattua told me about Absolute Write. I'm dipping my toe in over there.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:08 PM

I'm in full Nano prep mood today. Reading my muse's works like I'm getting paid for it (boy wouldn't that be a dream job?), listening to to my motivational song...let's do this thing! Come on fantasy novel! I need you to help me escape from Renovation Hell at work tomorrow (and for the next six months. )
Old 11-01-2016, 07:17 AM

I started at midnight. I'm already almost done with my daily word allotment and it's 8am. I'm not even going back to read it. A huge part of this for me is learning to be okay with writing shit, just so I can get these ideas down in paper.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2016, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

I'm shuamort over on NaNoWriMo. I managed to crank out 1765 words over my lunch break.

I decided to try something different and wrote what would chronologically be the first chapter to the third act first. I'm hoping that at least that will give me the idea of what my story and character arcs can be. Unfortunately I still have the ghost of "Show; Don't Tell" that I know I am trying to exorcize over and over.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:34 PM

I have 3,049 words as of about an hour ago. I'm NAnderson22 on NaNo.

I'm finding having an outline helps tremendously. Unfortunately, my outline is only complete until the middle or 2/3 through the book. The ending is non-existent. I'm afraid three weeks from now I'll still have no ending and then I'll be screwed.

But for now I'm trucking along.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:39 PM

Plot? Who needs a plot?
Old 11-01-2016, 05:50 PM

My goal this year is not getting bogged down in minutiae. That's why my section of writing today ended with, and this exactly what I wrote,

Quote:
<THEN THEY ALL GOT ON THE SHIP AND THE PLOT MOVED ALONG>
Old 11-01-2016, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
My goal this year is not getting bogged down in minutiae. That's why my section of writing today ended with, and this exactly what I wrote,
Excellent!
Old 11-01-2016, 06:15 PM

Catamount, that is truly inspirational.

I'm at 2348 so far. Not bad for Day One.

Yeah, I really have no plot to speak of. Some nebulous ideas. Plenty of theme.

I just want to get to the sex and violence part already. So, hopefully that means I'm warming up to the possibilities.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:27 PM

We have a special forum thread in NaNo to keep track of our progress in a secret-er space.

PM for the info.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:36 PM

1750 today, which isn't terribly ambitious, but it's a little more than absolutely necessary, so I'm calling it a win. At some point I need to come up with a working title.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
1750 today, which isn't terribly ambitious, but it's a little more than absolutely necessary, so I'm calling it a win. At some point I need to come up with a working title.
How about "Working Title"?
Old 11-02-2016, 01:39 AM

I'm using that 4thewords thing, need to update my wordcount.

I don't expect to hit 50k, but that's ok - I'll be happy if I can just figure out where the heck everybody is... (not every character I've defined is supposed to show up).
Old 11-02-2016, 07:21 AM

I'm updating my word count with what I've already written. It's hard for me because I get home so late after work and the gym. Weekends are better.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

I managed to hit 3454 last night so I feel motivated to stay ahead of the curve which still feels like trying to outrun an avalanche.

This is my first time trying to use Scrivener and I'm liking lots of it better than Word for sure. There's still a learning curve where I've clicked on some things and spent a bit too much time figuring out how to undo what I've done.

Since it's been 6 years since I did this last, I'd forgotten how wonderfully weird it can be to be a "pantser"*. I've had some vague outline I started over the weekend assembling in my head but that's about it.

Last night I was writing the setting of the hospital where the first act is mostly taking place. I decided to call it St Catherine's because I was picturing the entrance to be just like the college of the same name near by. So I decided to take a detour and google up to see if there were any specific St Catherines that would be appropriate. Turns out that not only was appropriate, but St Catherine of Bologna turned out to be a goldmine of plot points that could really flesh out the characters and story arcs. She is the patron saint of art and temptation which looped definitely into my original outline and then I read that she wrote something called Treatise on the Seven Spiritual Weapons Necessary for Spiritual Warfare and this book went down a much different path than I had expected.

*"You believe in hardcore spontaneity. On November 1, you’ll have a blank document and your imagination. To earn this badge, declare yourself a pantser!"
Old 11-02-2016, 08:41 AM

I have done nothing. Like, I didn't even visit the NaNo site. I like to think I'm going to get to it, but I still haven't got the slightest idea what I might write if I sit down to do it.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
How about "Working Title"?
That's what I've got on my computer, but at Nanowrimo it's "Oh, God, I have no idea." I'm almost 40,000 words into this book (I'm only counting my November words on Nano), I should really have something better by now.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:08 AM

Today is sort of a gimme because I'm rewriting one of the few chapters I already wrote.

I still have no idea what my long-game is for this book, but I think it's important for me to jump down a few rabbit holes and see what I find.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:00 PM

I've wanted to write for decades. I'm just a perfectionist and said that I wouldn't start until I had the idea for the whole book. Well, that's not working out so well!

Decades ago I walked into a bookstore, and while cruising the aisles saw that a favorite author had a new book. I looked at the cover and refrained from swearing. The picture was almost exactly like the idea I had for the environment - a pivotal force in what's happening. So I was thrilled (that it seemed like a good idea) and dejected (because I waited to long to write about it).

I took a writing class once. The teacher had students comment on each others writing, but I didn't get ideas about how to get over writer's block and come up with ideas.

Some friends talked about doing a Group-Writing project and I was excited. I wrote three pages of an idea as a sample. The group fizzled on the project and I couldn't think how to continue my story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draelin View Post
I have done nothing. Like, I didn't even visit the NaNo site. I like to think I'm going to get to it, but I still haven't got the slightest idea what I might write if I sit down to do it.
That takes some of the pressure off that I put on myself. But I still actually need to get going...

Quote:
I was trying to be a good girl and get this all plotted out but I'm kinda spinning my wheels at this point.
I just have some environment and no characters. When I try to add some they seem like characters I'm plagiarizing from elsewhere and I feel that's cheating. I don't know how to get over that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I am an extremely slow writer. Forget about NaNoWriMo; I might be a NaNoWriDecade writer....
And I thought I was the only one!

Where do I even start?! It all seems so overwhelming!
Old 11-02-2016, 02:48 PM

Y'all know about Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird, right? And what the title means?

Her brother (I think) had to write a paper on birds and he was overwhelmed by the number of birds there are. Someone (maybe their dad?) said, "Just write it bird by bird."

Anne says take an index card and cut out a one-inch window in the card. Only write what you can see (metaphorically speaking) through that tiny hole.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
In my novel, a naive sea nymph must embrace her power to stop Poseidon from turning the Earth into an ocean planet. I have zero ideas for a title at this point.
Land Ho!
Old 11-02-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfeather View Post
Land Ho!
You win at titles. That's almost as good as the Greatest Title Ever, 'Tis Pity She's a Whore.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
You win at titles. That's almost as good as the Greatest Title Ever, 'Tis Pity She's a Whore.
I always liked the Discworld version, 'Tis Pity She's An Unarmed Combat Instructor.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpauler View Post
This is my first time trying to use Scrivener and I'm liking lots of it better than Word for sure. There's still a learning curve where I've clicked on some things and spent a bit too much time figuring out how to undo what I've done.

I'm liking Scrivener okay, especially the note card bulletin board thing. But what I REALLY miss from MSWord is right-click access to a thesaurus. I use that constantly when I'm writing. No such feature in Scrivener.

I might have to keep a blank Word page open to the side so I can type in a word when I need a synonym and use the thesaurus that way.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 11-03-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfeather View Post
Land Ho!

I seem to be missing a cultural reference.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I'm liking Scrivener okay, especially the note card bulletin board thing. But what I REALLY miss from MSWord is right-click access to a thesaurus. I use that constantly when I'm writing. No such feature in Scrivener.

I might have to keep a blank Word page open to the side so I can type in a word when I need a synonym and use the thesaurus that way.
MS Word's thesaurus didn't have enough words for me, so I made thesaurus.com my friend. I usually have Pandora open while I'm writing, so I just open another tab to the thesaurus as well.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I'm liking Scrivener okay, especially the note card bulletin board thing. But what I REALLY miss from MSWord is right-click access to a thesaurus. I use that constantly when I'm writing. No such feature in Scrivener. :
I dunno about the Windows version of Scrivener, but in Mac if you highlight a word and right click you can select ''look up'' and get a dictionary definition and a thesaurus in one little pop up.

Last edited by Spice Weasel; 11-03-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
MS Word's thesaurus didn't have enough words for me, so I made thesaurus.com my friend. I usually have Pandora open while I'm writing, so I just open another tab to the thesaurus as well.
Quote:
I dunno about the Windows version of Scrivener, but in Mac if you highlight a word and right click you can select ''look up'' and get a dictionary definition and a thesaurus in one little pop up.
Thank you to both of you for those comments. Ignorance fought today!! (Mine.)
Old 11-03-2016, 09:02 PM

I came straight home from work, had dinner, and after Big Bang Theory sat down and wrote another 1100 words. I'm pretty sure I can flesh this chapter out, but for now, it's a good start.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:36 PM

BRAVA!

That's impressive!
Old 11-06-2016, 12:02 PM

Another 837 words today. I don't think I'll hit 50,000, but NaNoWriMo is giving me a goal to shoot for.

So to update, a failed Shadow Witch is making a dangerous addictive drug and our main character's brother is collecting money from the shop (protection? Profit? Tax revenues? We don't know yet) and the king of Port Caspia is turning a blind eye to the trade, because MONEY.

Last edited by ivylass; 11-06-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:36 PM

A little late to the party, but I'm dusting off the Ball of Bad Plotz once more. If you get stuck and want a nudge--a name, a MacGuffin, a plot idea, even a bit of prophetic doggerel--say the word, and I'll start tossing ideas your way. (Quality expressly not guaranteed. Consult the Ball at your own risk. )
Old 11-06-2016, 05:35 PM

Today I'm about 300 words short of 10,000. I cheated a little by incorporating a scene I wrote for a workshop and MAKING it fit my story. I'm God and I can do that. This is like a patchwork quilt made of apples, bicycle tires, bagels, and kittens. But I'm going to stitch/glue it together or die trying.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

I'm at 13,624.

I accidentally killed off a person who I was planning on using later. It started off as a "why isn't this elevator working" to "oh, it's because there was a head in the doors". I had to do something though as I had the main protag emptying the dishwasher. (I was able to write myself out of that corner by having his boss find out that he was hired for a different position that was recently filled by one of her employees who just disappeared.) So maybe I am throwing myself under the bus to see if I can roll out the other side before the tires get me? I don't know, but it is fun.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpauler View Post
I'm at 13,624.

I accidentally killed off a person who I was planning on using later. It started off as a "why isn't this elevator working" to "oh, it's because there was a head in the doors". I had to do something though as I had the main protag emptying the dishwasher. (I was able to write myself out of that corner by having his boss find out that he was hired for a different position that was recently filled by one of her employees who just disappeared.) So maybe I am throwing myself under the bus to see if I can roll out the other side before the tires get me? I don't know, but it is fun.
Hey, that sounds familiar, both for the word count, (I'm a few hundred words behind you at 13,239,) and the impulsive plot twist. Nobody actually died in mine, but I had a robot murder attempt, which has tipped the villain's hand somewhat, (especially that she's capable of and willing to disable robot safety programming,) and forced my characters to address the issue of "How can we live with any kind of safety in this thoroughly roboticized environment if the robots might attack us at any moment?"
Old 11-07-2016, 07:11 AM

I'm officially behind. I'm hoping to catch up today, but I am rather lost.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:34 AM

I'm joining in for the first time officially this year. I had a half-baked idea that's been rattling around in my head for a while so I thought I'd let it out and see where it went. Currently, nowhere fast.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:00 AM

I've spent the last 6 days moving, so I'm officially behind anybody who's started. Word count is the same today as on the 1st. I shall now go and count a few more words...