Old 11-07-2016, 08:47 AM

Thank you, everyone!

I'm compiling my wonderfully bad movie list for the winter break -- watch out couch, here I come
Advertisements  
Old 11-07-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Have none of you seen The Room?
I'm desperate to see this legendary film, but can't find it in streaming format. Do you know where I might find it? I'd rather not purchase a DVD . . .
Old 11-07-2016, 08:59 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardigan View Post
Not to hijack, but a semi-related question: is it even possible to do 'bad' camp? That is, attempt to do bad, and fail in achieving badness? What would a film failing in this endeavor look like?
I would say Head starring the Monkees comes close but Cabin Boy could fit that as well.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Not to hijack, but a semi-related question: is it even possible to do 'bad' camp? That is, attempt to do bad, and fail in achieving badness? What would a film failing in this endeavor look like?
While often mentioned in these threads, I found The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra to be a complete failure as a camp-style parody film. Not enjoyable at all. (And this from someone who actually enjoys some of Doris Wishman's early films!)

Last edited by ftg; 11-07-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
...I found The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra to be a complete failure as a camp-style parody film...
Yes, it wasn't funny enough or campy enough where it needed to be.

"The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" and "Five Million Years to Earth" were fun and I wouldn't consider them bad.

Not to repeat the noteworthy examples, I'll add:

Quatermass - Made into a movie from the TV Serial. Too disjoint to follow. The synopsis is "In the near future, civilisation has broken down to the barest fragment of recognisable life. Young people are forming gangs and dominating the wrecks of cities like London. But the strangest Earth-children are the Planet people, following plumb-bobs to sacred sites, waiting to be "Taken Up". Professor Quatermass, seeking his granddaughter, teams up with Joe Kapp, who is trying to analyse strange signals from space using the last working pieces of electronic equipment. They find the Planet People at a nearby stone circle, a light appears, the signal appears, - and the hippy children are gone. Russian plot? Nirvana? Or something altogether more sinister?"

Young Einstein - The synopsis is "Albert Einstein is the son of a Tasmanian apple farmer, who discovers the secret of splitting the beer atom to put the bubbles back into beer. When Albert travels to Sydney to patent his invention he meets beautiful French scientist Marie Curie, as well as several unscrupulous types who try to take advantage of the naive genius and his invention."
Old 11-07-2016, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can't really think of films that attempt to be bad. All the filmmakers on this list believed in their work. They wanted audiences to like it and amazingly many succeeded wildly in that regard.

If we go down a step to films attempting to be camp and failing, I'd say a lot of the "psychedelic" movies made in the late 60s qualify. Head is a failure. It was intended to be a spoof or at least commentary on the times, but incoherency sunk it. Skidoo, also mentioned, is a better example because it was a mainstream Hollywood product. The writer, Doran William Cannon, went on to write Brewster McCloud so it may be totally Otto Preminger's fault. Were the movies of Ray Dennis Steckler or Russ Meyer meant to be camp? Some people say yes to at least some of them. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls was certainly meant by writer Roger Ebert to be deliberately funny and I think it's too good to be on this list. Other hate it.

Maybe the worst of the worst is Magical Mystery Tour, which technically may not qualify since it was intended for television. When I was young I found it incomprehensible that no American tv network would play it. The Beatles! With Beatles songs! Then I finally saw it and understood.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:28 PM

Nazis At the Center of the Earth is pretty hilariously bad and managed to deliver exactly what the title led me to expect. Gary Busey's kid leads a plucky team of scientists who get captured by, then fight Nazi zombies in their underground lair led by abortion-fueled mecha-Hitler as they try to conquer the world with their flying saucer. The crowning touch for me is that, to help preserve suspension of disbelief, the undead Nazis actually speak in subtitled German.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
I can't really think of films that attempt to be bad. All the filmmakers on this list believed in their work.
Candy.

Was it meant to be taken seriously? Well, Richard Burton, Marlon Brando, Walter Matthau, James Coburn and John Huston would seem to think so. Not to mention John Astin and Ringo Starr.

Did it fail? This review says it all.

Last edited by Amateur Barbarian; 11-07-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
I'm desperate to see this legendary film, but can't find it in streaming format. Do you know where I might find it? I'd rather not purchase a DVD . . .
It's only available in steaming format.

I couldn't resist!
Old 11-07-2016, 03:23 PM

I like Magical Mystery Tour. It has Victor Spinetti as the sergeant! Lots of fun.

Don't understand the hate.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:22 PM

Bunraku

Great cast. Interesting concept. Horrible execution, with a special nod going out to the script. Not quite as bad as Star Wars Episode 2 level of writing, but pretty close.

Still, it was not an unpleasant way to kill 2 hours.

Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 11-07-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:10 AM

National Treasure is my go-to guilty pleasure.
I also get a kick out of the, very not PC, oriental movie detectives, Mr. Wong (Boris Karloff), Mr. Moto (Peter Lorre) and of course Charlie Chan (Warner Oland & Sidney Toler).
Does that make me a bad person?
Old 11-08-2016, 10:59 AM

Ravenous: Soldiers in a frontier fort become lunch for an insane cannibal.

Sorcerer: 1977 remake of "Wages of Fear". Rag tag group of misfits must transport nitro in rickety old trucks across a jungle.

The Haunted World of El Superbeasto: Adult cartoon by Rob Zombie about a womanizing masked wrestler, his hot crime fighting sister, and nazi zombies. Need I say more?
Old 11-08-2016, 11:34 AM

paul newman when he was more successful actually took out news ads all over the country apologizing for the silver chalice

and I nominate any kung fu epic made by the shaw bros. fight scenes excellent everything else not so much
Old 11-08-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Rocky Horror Picture Show ?

Last edited by watchwolf49; 11-08-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:06 PM

My favourite movie of all time is "Slaves of New York".
Old 11-08-2016, 01:07 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodi View Post
Sorcerer: 1977 remake of "Wages of Fear". Rag tag group of misfits must transport nitro in rickety old trucks across a jungle.
[nitpick]
Cases of old, leaky dynamite that had been improperly stored.
[/nitpick]
Old 11-08-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
[nitpick]
Cases of old, leaky dynamite that had been improperly stored.
[/nitpick]
counter-nitpick: nitroglycerine is what leaks out of dynamite. So while you're precisely right, the OP isn't wrong, either.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:30 PM

Wages of Fear is such a brilliant film but Sorcerer was awful.

Lots of good picks here.. but I submit

Sword and the Sorcerer (1982)

And who could forget...
Ator, the Fighting Eagle (1982)

and of course The Blade Master (1984) better know as Cave Dwellers in the MST3K episode.

"How much Keeffe do we have?" MILES O'KEEFE!!!!"

Last edited by Sparky812; 11-08-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
counter-nitpick: nitroglycerine is what leaks out of dynamite. So while you're precisely right, the OP isn't wrong, either.
Just saying "nitro" implies just the clear stuff in bottles, like the "gallons of nitro" in that IMDb link.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Just saying "nitro" implies just the clear stuff in bottles, like the "gallons of nitro" in that IMDb link.
In Wages of Fear, I believe they were actually glass bottles full of nitroglycerin.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:05 PM

How about

KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park (1978)?

Last edited by Sparky812; 11-08-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post
That is another movie that very much lives up to its title. The scene where KISS is sitting around a pool on a hot summer day in their full makeup and outfits including Gene Simmons perched on a lifeguard tower is just classic.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wasn't "Pat" a movie length version of a SNL scit that wasn't funny in the first place? Not to mention that I can think of plenty of just bad movies.

My contributions:
The Stupids
Suburban Commando

Last edited by furryman; 11-08-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:56 PM

Deep Rising. It was part of the wave of sea-going horror films from the nineties, with the action cranked way up.
I enjoy it because Treat Williams really seems to be in on the joke. He doesn't so much chew the scenery, as he treats as a tasty snack. Something to nibble on occasionally.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:10 PM

I'm pleased to be the first to proffer A Boy And His Dog, starring a young Don Johnson.

A young man and his telepathic dog wander the dystopian wasteland searching for women until they discover an underground society full of circuses, clown-faced robots, and sperm-milking machines.

And if that weren't enough, don't miss the cannibalistic plot twist at the end!
Old 11-08-2016, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
In a similar vein, anyone know about this mashup?

It's Martin Denny, the "Quiet Village" guy ... and what the heck is this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5owZr9vP7c
Ooh, that's nice. Martin Denny always takes me back. The movie is The Indian Tomb (1959) directed by none other than Fritz Lang. I didn't know that but that dancer's figure is pure gorgeousness and I had to find out. Doesn't have too bad a rating on IMDB, either.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:33 PM

Masters of Menace

Mechanic for a biker gang (Jim Belushi) dies, leading the gang to set out cross country to take his body home. Lots of cameos.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Wages of Fear is such a brilliant film but Sorcerer was awful.

I agree on Sword and the Sorcerer. With its jet-propelled triple-bladed sword, it's incredibly awful. But I'll give it this -- the film's best moments (like raising the Sorcerer from his tomb) were ripped off from Robert E. Howard's Conan stories (that opening is from "Hour of the DRagon/Conan the Conqueror"). And it did them better and more faithfully than any "official" Conan movie I've seen yet.

Bonus points -- at the end of Sword and the Sorcerer they announced that there would be a sequel, Tales of the Ancient Empire.

Yeah, like they were ever going to make a sequel to this turkey...

Well, it took them 28 years, but they actually did make that sequel. It came out in 2010, and the title is almost exactly as promised -- Abelar: Tales of an Ancient Empire.

Same director, Albert Pyun. The star, Lee Horseley, is back, too.

I haven't seen it, but I could see this making a great Bad Film double feature.

Another suggestion -- Sorceress. This is the 1982 masterpiece executive produced by Roger Corman. It's incredibly bad, with bad writing, bad special effects, bad acting, and bad makeup. There are no actual sorceresses in the film. It looks as if it was made in some foreign country, in another language, and bought cheap and dubbed into English -- but it actually was filmed in English to start with.

The poster is great, but, as is alwayts the case, the film can't even begin to live up to the poster. The winged lion in the film looks like a bad Muppet

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086340/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Old 11-08-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Candy.

Was it meant to be taken seriously? Well, Richard Burton, Marlon Brando, Walter Matthau, James Coburn and John Huston would seem to think so. Not to mention John Astin and Ringo Starr.

Did it fail? This review says it all.
If you want to see it for yourself, it's actually been posted on a popular video sharing site. I won't link directly because that must be a copyright violation.

There are all sorts of movies posted that I thought would've been taken down in short order, but they're still there.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf333 View Post
Deep Rising. It was part of the wave of sea-going horror films from the nineties, with the action cranked way up.
I enjoy it because Treat Williams really seems to be in on the joke. He doesn't so much chew the scenery, as he treats as a tasty snack. Something to nibble on occasionally.
Indeed, it's really enjoyable. I actually watched it twice, and I don't watch many movies anymore.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:50 AM

Can't believe neither Independence Day nor The Wicker Man remake have made it to the list yet.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:59 AM

Roadie (1980) is also guilty pleasure!
Old 11-09-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
General Kala, Flash Gordon approaching.

FLASH!! aH-AAAAAH!

I find most of the "so bad they're good" movies to be just bad. But this one...
I love this movie, especially for the Queen soundtrack.

The sketchiness of the special effects seems appropriate for the comic/fantasy quality I think they were going for. Actually, I thought the special effects on the forest world were out of place, 'cuz they were better than the rest.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:26 AM

Spaced Invaders

Good God I loved this movie when I first saw it. I haven't seen it in about 10 years or so but I think it's a goofily funny little romp about a ship of dumb Martians who hear a War of the Worlds broadcast while in space and invade Big Bean, Illinois with hilarious results.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:54 PM

Came in to say Doc Savage, but will add
The Night of The Lepus - giant mutant rabbits terrorize the south west starring Janet Leigh and Rory Calhoun
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069005/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Zoltan - Hound of Dracula! - aka Dracula's Dog (not such an electrifying title) with Jose Ferrer in which the hound is reanimated in 1979 and tracks down Dracula's only remaining descendant - Mickey Dracula in the good old US of A.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077470/

MiM
Old 11-10-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
What do you mean, “Flash Gordon approaching?”
On a Hawkman rocket-cycle. Shall I inform his majesty?
IMBECILE! The Emperor would shoot you for interrupting his wedding with this news. Fire when Gordon’s in range!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Skidoo
Three Batman villians: Frank Gorshin, Cesar Romero and Burgess Meredith.
When Citadel Miniatures sculpted the second round of Space Marines in Mk VI (“Corvus”) Armour for Games Workshop’s Warhammer 40,000, the world’s greatest tabletop wargame, da Studio Ladz gave them names from the Batman cast. Brothers Gorshin and Meredith are there, as well as Captain Romero, Brother West, Brother Ward, Brother Craig, Brother Napier, Captain Newmar, Brother Kitt, etc.

I guess we know what they were watching over there in Merry Olde England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Battle Beyond the Stars. The Magnificent Seven in spaaaace. Strangely not listed in recent lists of Seven Samurai remakes/sequels when the most recent Magnificent Seven film came out. It had Robert Freakin' Vaughn in it! He was in the original Magnificent Seven, the TV show version and something called The Magnificent Eleven.
What? No mention of a young(-ish) George Peppard? He was Hannibal Freakin’ Smith in The A-Team!

Quote:

And who could forget...
Ator, the Fighting Eagle (1982)

and of course The Blade Master (1984) better know as Cave Dwellers in the MST3K episode.
If you’re gonna throw those early 80’s fantasy/sci-fi trash-fests in here, you should include Megaforce, Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn, and – Emperor’s Teeth, I can’t believe I’m suggesting this - Krull.

Marc Singer was great in The Beastmaster, as long as you never find out there were sequels. I liked him in the original V as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by August West View Post
I'm pleased to be the first to proffer A Boy And His Dog, starring a young Don Johnson.

A young man and his telepathic dog wander the dystopian wasteland searching for women until they discover an underground society full of circuses, clown-faced robots, and sperm-milking machines.

And if that weren't enough, don't miss the cannibalistic plot twist at the end!
This movie is based on a great Harlan Ellison story. I read Richard Corben’s comic adaption, which is beautiful (remember “Den” from Heavy Metal?), and I thought the movie version was a decent adaption.

==============

I would suggest Robot Jox.

I love the hell out of this movie despite its problems. It has some elements of Pacific Rim, but with armatures, models, and stop-motion animation instead of CGI.

Joe Haldeman, author of The Forever War, was tapped to write the screenplay. He was trying to paint a picture of a desperate Market, its citizens poor and hungry*, never more than one fight away from losing Alaska and its “precious natural resources” to the Confederation. Meanwhile, director Stuart Gordon is on the set going, “no, no, we need a fun movie where kids can go see the giant robots duking it out!”

* = It’s clear that Earth is rebuilding from the consequences of global war, which is now outlawed and replaced by matches between nations’ champions, the titular Robot Jox. Propaganda posters encourage having more children to repopulate, and Achilles’s brother and his wife inform him that she is pregnant again so the government will give them a bigger apartment to live in.

Last edited by psiekier; 11-10-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:50 PM

Strangeland, a body modification horror movie written by and starring Dee Snider. And that's all you need to know.

Last edited by Biggirl; 11-10-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiekier View Post

If you’re gonna throw those early 80’s fantasy/sci-fi trash-fests in here, you should include Megaforce, Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn, and – Emperor’s Teeth, I can’t believe I’m suggesting this - Krull.

Marc Singer was great in The Beastmaster, as long as you never find out there were sequels. I liked him in the original V as well.
LOL, I saw Metalstorm in the theatre in 3-D!

I know Megaforce well, Tod Howarth's 707, wrote and performed the theme song which he rewrote for Frehley's Comet.

Saw Beastmaster at the Drive-Inn but remember when it came out on home video we wore out the tape rewinding and pausing the Tanya Roberts' nude scene!

How about Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins Sadly, the adventure alse ended there...

or Action Jackson (1988)
Old 11-11-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
LOL, I saw Metalstorm in the theatre in 3-D!

I know Megaforce well, Tod Howarth's 707, wrote and performed the theme song which he rewrote for Frehley's Comet.

!

How about Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins Sadly, the adventure alse ended there...

][/I]
I saw these, too (including Metalstorm in 3D), but Remo Williams is SPECTACULARLY bad. It was written by Christopher Wood, the same guy who wrote the most puerile of the 1980s James Bond movies (The Spy who Loved Me and Moonraker -- the two with Jaws), and it shows. Joel Grey is pretty impressive, but it's still a white guy playing an Asian role. They clearly hoped for this to be the first in a series (there were umpteen Remo Williams: The Destroyer paperbacks), but it was too dumb and too poorly-attended to go on.

Another failed "series" movie, which I have shown at my Bad Film Festival, is the Matthew McConaghey flick Sahara, based on the Clive Cussler novel. There had already been a Dirk Pitt movie many years previously -- Raise the Titanic! -- but they were hoping to jump-start the heart with this other attempt. After all, Cussler's novels were huge bestsellers, and they're clearly cinematic. But they're also incredibly Dumb. This turkey got shot down, and it's unlikely that anyone is going to try to film another Cussler novel soon.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Have none of you seen The Room?
Yes. That's why I'm in therapy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
The brain that wouldn't die.
I love this movie. It has everything: A surgeon who does random mad science in his family estate out in the woods who carries his girlfriend's head like a football after she was decapitated. A monster in the closet who has a psychic connection with the girlfriend's head. A bad Peter Lorre-esque assistant. Buckets of fake blood. And just for kicks, a cheesecake catfight in the second act.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:43 PM

Here's something obscure, the films of Argentine actress Isabel Sarli that she made with her partner Armando Bó.

Cheap exploitation films with a Latin flavor. Start with Feugo. Don't miss her first big film El Trueno entre las hojas or Una mariposa en la noche.

Are they camp? John Waters is a big fan and has presented screenings of them.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My number one. Most on my list have been named -

Star Crash (in restored Blu-Ray to appreciate the nuances!)
Giant Claw
Ssssssss!
Ice Pirates
Big Trouble in Little China (pretty good to be on this list, I admit)
Oh, I LOVE Ssssssss!
The ending always freaks me out.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:54 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Fun flick about the making and aftermath of a wonderfully bad film: Best Worst Movie
Old 11-11-2016, 10:35 PM

Just in time for Thanksgiving: Blood Freak (1972) It's a wonderful little morality tale about a meathead biker who eats some experimental turkey which looks a lot less wooden than all of the acting, and ends up as a turkey-headed freak who feeds on the blood of junkies. The director shows up to smoke, cough, and read off a series of cue cards in the most wood-paneled room ever captured on film.

The Agony Booth has a good recap of this amazingly awful turkey.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:33 PM

Well, I love Michael Moriarty so two of my favorite 'so bad' movies are Q and The Stuff.

Q also has Richard Roundtree and David Carradine as the detectives! Q is, of course, Quetzalcoatl in NYC at the Chrysler Building.

The Stuff features an alien life form disguised as yogurt. It also has Paul Sorvino and Garret Morris. It also has one of my all time favorite movie lines.

'You're not as dumb as you appear to be.' Moriarty replies in southern accent, 'No one is as dumb as I appear to be.'
Old 11-12-2016, 08:14 PM

Warriors....come out to play-yay.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent Juicy View Post
My favourite movie of all time is "Slaves of New York".
I love the book.

Can it be that no one has mentioned Reefer Madness yet? or is it too common? I own a 16mm print of it.

A little more obscure, and just as bad, is Motel Hell ("Meat's meat, and a man's gotta eat!")

And yes, you can do bad camp: I give you Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

Don't forget the rich vein of Blaxploitation films. How about Blacula? and they spawned an imitator know as Deafsplotation. There's a Deafula about a Deaf vampire, and it's one of the few all ASL films. And there's a Deafenstein. I think they're on Youtube.

One of the worst movies of all time that few Americans have seen is the Nazi propaganda film Titanic.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:06 PM

Speaking of Blaxploitation, there is nothing quite so wonderful as Dolemite and The Human Tornado. Except the Mad TV parodies/homages.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:22 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

A terrifically awful movie about a tree monster: From Hell It Came

Last edited by blondebear; 11-12-2016 at 09:22 PM.