Old 11-21-2016, 08:18 PM

All My Children

Last night for some reason I was thinking about the soap, All My Children which I haven't seen in many years. Anyway, it occurred to me there were some things I should remember but couldn't, no biggie it's my age and it was a soap. Today though, it's still nagging me.

So help me out. There was a character that lived with the Martin's for awhile, Casey/Kelsey something like that. What was her relationship to them and what happened to her?

This one I should recall but can't. Were Maria and Matteo brother and sister? What became of the parents (if they weren't brother & sister I recall them as Maria's parents.) I know there was a younger sister, Rosa. Were there two sisters and again what became of them?

All irrelevant I know but it's making me a little crazy.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Reported for move to Cafe Society.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:07 PM

Moving to Cafe Society.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:34 AM

Seems to have moved!

All My Children? Lets talk Days of Our lives instead or even Guiding light!! How about an extremely old ones, Search for Tomorrow or The Doctors!

Even As the world turns

I have never really watched All My Children.

End/thread drift
Old 11-23-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patx2 View Post
So help me out. There was a character that lived with the Martin's for awhile, Casey/Kelsey something like that. What was her relationship to them and what happened to her?

This one I should recall but can't. Were Maria and Matteo brother and sister? What became of the parents (if they weren't brother & sister I recall them as Maria's parents.) I know there was a younger sister, Rosa. Were there two sisters and again what became of them?

All irrelevant I know but it's making me a little crazy.
How totally weird, but I was just thinking about the Kelsey character just yesterday, and I couldn't figure out why.

Kelsey Jefferson was the grand-daughter of Joe and Ruth Martin, by way of Tara and her third husband. (After Phil & Tara left Pine Valley in the late 70s, Phil was killed off-screen and Tara returned home for about a year in the early 80s. She got married to somebody whose first name I can't remember just now and had baby Kelsey, but then left town again soon afterwards. Kelsey didn't reappear until she was a teenager)

The Santos clan (I think that was the family name) included Maria, Mateo, Julia and Rosa. Their mother appeared occasionally, but did little more than gasp in shock at her children's antics and make the sign of the cross when things got bad. Dad of course was dead, because all working-class families on TV have only one living parent.

(It makes me slightly ashamed at how much encyclopedic knowledge I have of this show and One Life to Live.)
Old 11-23-2016, 10:31 AM

It seems like a lifetime ago that I used to watch the show about Pine Valley and its denizens. Based on the OP's questions my viewership goes back farther , although I do remember Tara and Phil. I guess I'm not familiar with the Casey / Kelsey character - I was thinking it was Erica's long lost daughter played by Sarah Michelle Gellar but I think her name was Kendall. Then I was thinking it was Kelly Ripa's character but that's not right either. Speaking of Ms. Ripa, didn't Matteo end up being her lover (and husband in real life)? It's so weird that it's all such a hazy memory seeing as how popular it was and how devoted so many people were to it. I stopped watching some time in high school but I remember people scheduling their college classes around their favorite soaps. And if anyone was an Opal Cortland fan, check her out as the title character in The Taking of Deborah Logan.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
How totally weird, but I was just thinking about the Kelsey character just yesterday, and I couldn't figure out why.

Kelsey Jefferson was the grand-daughter of Joe and Ruth Martin, by way of Tara and her third husband. (After Phil & Tara left Pine Valley in the late 70s, Phil was killed off-screen and Tara returned home for about a year in the early 80s. She got married to somebody whose first name I can't remember just now and had baby Kelsey, but then left town again soon afterwards. Kelsey didn't reappear until she was a teenager)

The Santos clan (I think that was the family name) included Maria, Mateo, Julia and Rosa. Their mother appeared occasionally, but did little more than gasp in shock at her children's antics and make the sign of the cross when things got bad. Dad of course was dead, because all working-class families on TV have only one living parent.

(It makes me slightly ashamed at how much encyclopedic knowledge I have of this show and One Life to Live.)
Thank you, it's funny because I do remember the Santos mother always being in shock too. Strange, but I could have sworn there was a very strict father also. Why did Kelsey leave the show or should I say leave Pine Valley do you recall?
Old 11-23-2016, 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=WOOKINPANUB;19803595]It seems like a lifetime ago that I used to watch the show about Pine Valley and its denizens. Based on the OP's questions my viewership goes back farther , although I do remember Tara and Phil. I guess I'm not familiar with the Casey / Kelsey character - I was thinking it was Erica's long lost daughter played by Sarah Michelle Gellar but I think her name was Kendall. Then I was thinking it was Kelly Ripa's character but that's not right either. Speaking of Ms. Ripa, didn't Matteo end up being her lover (and husband in real life)? It's so weird that it's all such a hazy memory seeing as how popular it was and how devoted so many people were to it. I stopped watching some time in high school but I remember people scheduling their college classes around their favorite soaps. And if anyone was an Opal Cortland fan, check her out as the title character in The Taking of Deborah Logan.[/QU

Yes, Kelly Ripa has been married to the Matteo character, Mark Counselous, they played a married couple on the show. Sarah Michelle Gellar played Erica's daughter Bianca, I think. I don't remember who played her daughter Kendall.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=Patx2;19803761]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
It seems like a lifetime ago that I used to watch the show about Pine Valley and its denizens. Based on the OP's questions my viewership goes back farther , although I do remember Tara and Phil. I guess I'm not familiar with the Casey / Kelsey character - I was thinking it was Erica's long lost daughter played by Sarah Michelle Gellar but I think her name was Kendall. Then I was thinking it was Kelly Ripa's character but that's not right either. Speaking of Ms. Ripa, didn't Matteo end up being her lover (and husband in real life)? It's so weird that it's all such a hazy memory seeing as how popular it was and how devoted so many people were to it. I stopped watching some time in high school but I remember people scheduling their college classes around their favorite soaps. And if anyone was an Opal Cortland fan, check her out as the title character in The Taking of Deborah Logan.[/QU

Yes, Kelly Ripa has been married to the Matteo character, Mark Counselous, they played a married couple on the show. Sarah Michelle Gellar played Erica's daughter Bianca, I think. I don't remember who played her daughter Kendall.
No, SMG played the first Kendall, she was later replaced by another actress whose name I don't remember. Bianca (as a young adult) was played by a different actress, Eden something. Kendall was the daughter she gave up for adoption as a teenager, Bianca was her daughter with Travis Montgomery.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I was thinking it was Erica's long lost daughter played by Sarah Michelle Gellar but I think her name was Kendall. Then I was thinking it was Kelly Ripa's character but that's not right either.
You're correct with Kendall, Erica Kane's daughter. You're also thinking of Hailey who is the character Kelly Ripa played and married Matteo (also in real life.)

I totally remember Kelsey and can picture her in my head!

Here you go:
http://soapcentral.com/amc/whoswho/kelsey.php
Old 11-23-2016, 12:50 PM

[QUOTE=Hey Hey Paula;19803851]
Quote:

No, SMG played the first Kendall, she was later replaced by another actress whose name I don't remember. Bianca (as a young adult) was played by a different actress, Eden something. Kendall was the daughter she gave up for adoption as a teenager, Bianca was her daughter with Travis Montgomery.
Yes, thank you, I was mixed up.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent Juicy View Post
You're correct with Kendall, Erica Kane's daughter. You're also thinking of Hailey who is the character Kelly Ripa played and married Matteo (also in real life.)

I totally remember Kelsey and can picture her in my head!

Here you go:
http://soapcentral.com/amc/whoswho/kelsey.php
Fantastic, your link at the bottom answered my questions although it mentions Anita Santos. Was there a Rosa Santos, too or is she a figment of my imagination? I had forgotten all about Bobby Warner.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Thank you, it's funny because I do remember the Santos mother always being in shock too. Strange, but I could have sworn there was a very strict father also. Why did Kelsey leave the show or should I say leave Pine Valley do you recall?
I don't remember the reason the character "left Pine Valley", but the reason the character was booted off the show was that she wasn't immensely popular. From what I remember of her storyline, she had gotten pregnant by Cliff & Nina's son (Bobby, I think?). She initially was going to give the baby up for adoption to Edmund and Maria, but later overheard the couple talking about how much they didn't like her and in a childish snit sued to get custody back.

The character was supposed to be kind of bratty, but then grow up and mature (kind of like Erica Kane did early on). But she was just incredibly irritating to watch, and the actor playing her wasn't all that interesting. So eventually she got ditched. I think she ultimately gave up the baby to Edmund & Maria and left town to go live with her mother, Tara -- where ever that was. (Soon afterwards, Maria was in a plane crash and presumed to be dead for about 10 years, BTW.)

Last edited by Don Draper; 11-23-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:26 PM

[QUOTE=Hey Hey Paula;19803851]
Quote:

Sarah Michelle Gellar was Kendall. Kendall was the result of Erica being raped by a movie director who was a friend of Erica's film director father. I can't remember his name, but he was English. They tried to make Erica's character younger in order to pass SMG as being the right age to play Kendall. SMG was only 15/16 years old when she came on the show, but the show was older than that (it was 23 years old at the time), so for Erica to have been a teenager when Kendall was conceived, as the show wanted us to believe, she would have been raped while the show was on the air, which never happened. So when nobody bought the ages, the show had 16 year old SMG toss back a glass of champagne and announce, "Well, I am over 21, after all."

Bianca was the daughter of Erica by husband Travis Montgomery. As a teen, it was revealed that Bianca was a lesbian, and the show did a long time of doing storylines about her being gay, including marrying a woman later on.

Erica had another child, a son, Josh Madden. All My Children had done a groundbreaking story, years before, about Erica choosing to have an abortion in order to be able to continue her burgeoning modeling career, but Josh showed up as having been the baby that was actually born, and not aborted, which angered a lot of fans.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:02 PM

[QUOTE=Rick Kitchen;19804463]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Hey Paula View Post

Sarah Michelle Gellar was Kendall. Kendall was the result of Erica being raped by a movie director who was a friend of Erica's film director father. I can't remember his name, but he was English. They tried to make Erica's character younger in order to pass SMG as being the right age to play Kendall. SMG was only 15/16 years old when she came on the show, but the show was older than that (it was 23 years old at the time), so for Erica to have been a teenager when Kendall was conceived, as the show wanted us to believe, she would have been raped while the show was on the air, which never happened. So when nobody bought the ages, the show had 16 year old SMG toss back a glass of champagne and announce, "Well, I am over 21, after all."

Bianca was the daughter of Erica by husband Travis Montgomery. As a teen, it was revealed that Bianca was a lesbian, and the show did a long time of doing storylines about her being gay, including marrying a woman later on.

Erica had another child, a son, Josh Madden. All My Children had done a groundbreaking story, years before, about Erica choosing to have an abortion in order to be able to continue her burgeoning modeling career, but Josh showed up as having been the baby that was actually born, and not aborted, which angered a lot of fans.
"All My Children" set the bar for retconning their young characters pretty early -- as early as its first episode apparently.

It was before my time, but the series supposedly started with recently widowed Dr. Joe Martin returning to his home town with his children in tow: Jeff, Tara...and Bobby.

Adolescent Bobby was "All My Children's" very own "Chuck Cunningham" character. On the first episode, he showed up onscreen, made some remark about getting snow skis from the attic, went up stairs...and was then never seen nor spoken of ever again.

Well except for once: for the 25th anniversary special, someone went up into the Martin's attic and found a human skeleton next to a pair of snow-skis. (Somebody on the writing staff had a warped sense of humor.)
Old 11-23-2016, 04:04 PM

So many memories are coming back to me!
Old 11-23-2016, 04:08 PM

[QUOTE=Don Draper;19804538]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post

"All My Children" set the bar for retconning their young characters pretty early -- as early as its first episode apparently.

It was before my time, but the series supposedly started with recently widowed Dr. Joe Martin returning to his home town with his children in tow: Jeff, Tara...and Bobby.

Adolescent Bobby was "All My Children's" very own "Chuck Cunningham" character. On the first episode, he showed up onscreen, made some remark about getting snow skis from the attic, went up stairs...and was then never seen nor spoken of ever again.

Well except for once: for the 25th anniversary special, someone went up into the Martin's attic and found a human skeleton next to a pair of snow-skis. (Somebody on the writing staff had a warped sense of humor.)
That was before my time too, but I remember hearing the story about him never returning from the attic and the special. I know I got a good laugh from hearing both stories, I would've liked to have seen the special.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Kendall was the result of Erica being raped by a movie director who was a friend of Erica's film director father. I can't remember his name, but he was English.
Oh yeah! Richard Fields. That guy was really skeevy. He tried to rape Bianca too.

(My memories + Google are having fun in this thread!)