Old 11-23-2016, 02:43 AM

Andy Gibb. Dying young can be a great career move, but not for him, unfortunately.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:57 AM

update on Tim Reid

The UP television network is advertising a holiday movie that stars WKRP's Tim Reid. It looks like a dreadful movie. Tim Reid plays a guy who has a Christmas tree on his roof due to some promise he made, and the neighbors don't like it.

Hopefully it's just makeup, but Tim does not look good. He looks like some homeless guy who had a stroke.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:00 AM

Paul "Crocodile Dundee" Hogan. He soared to fame when the rage, in the U.S. anyway, was everything Australia. Come to think of it, is Qantas still in business? I used to love the commercials with the koala grumbling "I hate Qantas".
Old 11-23-2016, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Where do old celebrities go now that they don't have Hollywood Squares and The Love Boat anymore?
Old 11-23-2016, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
David McCallum? He's played Dr. Mallard on NCIS for the past 14 years.
I've never watched it, but good to know he's still around.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

For the record, I not only know who Heidi Montag and her husband Spencer are, I bought their book as a gag gift for my wife. I did not download his tune.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Arlo Guithre. Remember Arlo? He sang a song about Alice
Old 11-23-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Duncan Sheik had that huge hit "Barely Breathing" and a lesser hit called "She Runs Away". I purchased his album, and those were the only two listenable songs; the rest was filler.
Duncan Shiek has found a successful career writing music for the stage, including winning a Tony for the highly regarded Spring Awakening. He may have disappeared from TV show soundtracks, but he has not disappeared.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:36 AM

Everyone that was in a 90s boy band except Justin Timberlake.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:49 AM

Remember how big a movie star Val Kilmer was in the oh-so-recent '90s?

Could college students today readily identify him?
Old 11-23-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Rufus Wainwright still performs; he's always been better known for being gay than he has for any of this music IMNSHO.

Duncan Sheik had that huge hit "Barely Breathing" and a lesser hit called "She Runs Away". I purchased his album, and those were the only two listenable songs; the rest was filler.

Mary Tyler Moore has been a Type 1 diabetic for more than 40 years and has experienced other health problems; however, she has had acting jobs in recent years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_T...re#Filmography
Duncan Sheik won a Grammy and a Tony award for the score of "Spring Awakening" in 2007-2008
Old 11-23-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I've never watched it, but good to know he's still around.
They even made a joke of it. Someone asked Mark Harmon's character what Ducky (Dr. Mallard) looked like when he was younger and he replied, "Illya Kuryakin."
Old 11-23-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
The UP television network is advertising a holiday movie that stars WKRP's Tim Reid. It looks like a dreadful movie. Tim Reid plays a guy who has a Christmas tree on his roof due to some promise he made, and the neighbors don't like it.

Hopefully it's just makeup, but Tim does not look good. He looks like some homeless guy who had a stroke.
He is 71.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Arlo Guithre. Remember Arlo? He sang a song about Alice
Arlo's around and still touring, I think.

Mine are all singers of a certain age, too: Melanie, Grace Slick, Lulu, Diana Ross
Old 11-23-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koeeoaddi View Post
Arlo's around and still touring, I think.

Mine are all singers of a certain age, too: Melanie, Grace Slick, Lulu, Diana Ross
Just don't ask him to sing "Alice's Restaurant."
Old 11-23-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Remember how big a movie star Val Kilmer was in the oh-so-recent '90s?

Could college students today readily identify him?
As much weight as he's gained, recognizing him is a challenge for everybody!

Anybody but me remember Wayland Flowers and Madame?
Old 11-23-2016, 12:51 PM

Doris Day and Tatum O'Neal
Old 11-23-2016, 01:18 PM

Captain and Tennille?

John Denver?
Old 11-23-2016, 01:27 PM

Avery Schreiber was ubiquitous in the 70s/80s. Game shows, variety shows, movies, commercials. Dying is of course the reason he isn't around, but I've constantly been surprised how few people have any recollection of him in comparison to how commonplace he was in media.

Last edited by GargoyleWB; 11-23-2016 at 01:28 PM. Reason: "Captain Cornelius Butt"
Old 11-23-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Farrah and Lee. Of course Farrah is dead now but she never reached that level of saturation that she did then.
Farrah Fawcett is a great example. At least from the perspective of a kid, she was more or less THE iconic face (and hair) of the 1970s, and was so in a way that I haven't seen since.

And she was really only famous for being on "Charlie's Angels" and a certain swimsuit poster.

Weren't Donny and Marie Osmond pretty famous for a while there too?
Old 11-23-2016, 02:17 PM

(Haven't seen this one mentioned yet...apologies if someone already picked him)

Before my time, but Vaughn Meader was HUGE in the early 1960s, winning a Grammy award for Album of the Year for his impersonation of President Kennedy. His career ended for obvious reasons on November 22, 1963.

They really should make a movie about this guy's life.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Come to think of it, is Qantas still in business? I used to love the commercials with the koala grumbling "I hate Qantas".
The airline's still operating, and I've even seen a commercial (albeit sans koala) in the past year.

Jack Douglas and his wife Reiko, as they were invariably introduced, were ubiquitous talk-show guests during the 1960's and '70's. Unless you lived through those decades, however, you've likely never heard of them.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Your parents wouldn't let you watch movies when you were a kid?!?
To partially co-sign what @Ulf the Unwashed had to say, I was also not a movie person as a kid, and even less so now (aside from kung fu flicks and MCU movies) since I basically quit watching movies cold turkey in 1999. Unlike Ulf, my parents were much bigger movie fans than I am... just not 'those' kind of movies. To paraphrase a line from Michael Irvin... Gregory Peck, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, et al. didn't play to our constituency.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, Gerald McRaney is all over the place, which is why I didn't include him. I perked up when I saw him in Deadwood, Justified and House of Cards.

Of course I forgot about Tim Reid in Simon & Simon.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Farrah Fawcett is a great example. At least from the perspective of a kid, she was more or less THE iconic face (and hair) of the 1970s, and was so in a way that I haven't seen since.

And she was really only famous for being on "Charlie's Angels" and a certain swimsuit poster.
She's most famous for that, but interestingly though AFTER she became famous for"Angels", she proved that she was a genuinely talented actor in the off-Broadway play (and movie version of the play) "Extremities" and the TV movie "the Burning Bed." Sadly, everyone has forgotten that and only remembers the poster and "Angels".
Old 11-23-2016, 04:58 PM

Jimmy Hoffa.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:30 PM

Brooke Shields.

No doubt she is on some TV show that I don't watch. But she was a household name at one point, and now she isn't.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Just don't ask him to sing "Alice's Restaurant."
I saw him in Ann Arbor, MI. Someone asked for "Alice". His explanation of why he no longer performs Alice was actually LONGER than Alice would've been. Oh, and then, a few years later, he did a big 40th Anniversary of Alice tour. Gosh, that was 2006. So, maybe he's doing a 50th Anniversary of Alice tour now...

My contribution - Rick Moranis. He got famous, then retired.

I really miss Steve Martin, Dana Carvey, Adam Sandler, John Candy, Dan Aykroyd, Jane Curtain, Bob Newhart, and Elayne Boosler. They all had hits in the 1980s that I really enjoyed... then, faded, some more than others. (A shout out to "Third Rock From The Sun" because Jane Curtain was amazing in it!)
Old 11-23-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post

Several years later, she played a battered wife who killed her husband in "The Burning Bed", which was an instant classic TV movie.

Doris Day is still alive and is in her 90s, and the Captain & Tennille were in the news recently because they announced that they were divorcing after more than 40 years of marriage. Daryl Dragon (the Captain) is in very poor health (IIRC Parkinson's) and so is Val Kilmer. Kilmer denies that he has cancer, but he does not look good in recent photos.

Rick Moranis scaled his career way back after his wife died, to concentrate on raising their children.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:41 PM

Marie Osmond is constantly on TV doing commercials for Jenny Craig or some such weight loss program. She also released a new album in April.

I saw Brooke Shields in a cosmetics commercial a few days ago. She's also still quite active in films.

I wouldn't say either one quite fits the definition of "completely disappeared."
Old 11-23-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
(snip)

Ani Difranco
Not sure I would have ever called Ani "big"; certainly not ubiquitous. Going her own way and dodging the celebrity machine are kind of her trademark, after all.

She's still touring, but she now has two children, which of course slows down the public stuff. Her last album was released in 2014, but she has one coming out in 2017.

She still draws crowds; albeit, older, and with far more men and families than earlier in her career. Back in the 90's, I can say from personal experience that being a straight guy at an Ani DiFranco concert was a lonely experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penultima thule View Post
Australia Prime Minister Harold Holt
ISWYDT. ::golf clap:: According to Bill Bryson, he has a memorial in Melbourne - a public pool.

Aussies know irony.

Last edited by Slow Moving Vehicle; 11-23-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reluctant A. View Post
Gregory Peck, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, et al. didn't play to our constituency.
Your loss.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Your loss.
They just don't make stars any more. I can't tell one Ryan from a Chris from a Tater Channing - they're all so generic. The women, pretty much the same. Little brown hamsters, all of them, running running running on the Hollywood wheel, all in movies about men in tights. I'm not criticizing really, that's the way of the world.

Last edited by salinqmind; 11-23-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
... Gregory Peck, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, et al. didn't play to our constituency.
Isn't that kind of like saying you never read anything by Faulkner, or Hemingway, or Joyce?
Old 11-23-2016, 09:19 PM

Various Vice Presidents and candidates pretty much disappear after they lose an election or their term of office expires. In the mid 1970s one of them, William Miller (Republican nominee in 1964), even did an American Express commercial saying "Do you know me? With the American Express card, I can use it everywhere".
Some musicians can be very huge for a while and while they are still around, it's at a far smaller level (Peter Frampton, Garth Brooks).
Deanna Durbin was very popular, and highly paid, in the 1930s and 1940s but around 1950 she gave it it to get married, live in France and avoid the limelight. Tom Lehrer was making jokes about it in the mid 60s and her death in 2013 was little noticed, which she would have wanted.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Gregory Peck, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, et al. didn't play to our constituency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
Isn't that kind of like saying you never read anything by Faulkner, or Hemingway, or Joyce?
No. I've seen Peck, Grant, and Stewart in movies, but I've never read anything by Faulkner, Hemingway, or Joyce. My taste in authors tends more towards Stephen King, Elmore Leonard, and Ed McBain/Evan Hunter. Or Peter David.

Last edited by cochrane; 11-23-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Several years later, she played a battered wife who killed her husband in "The Burning Bed", which was an instant classic TV movie.
Sure, but that was 1984, and she only passed away seven years ago. What did she do in the intervening quarter century?
Old 11-23-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's just me (I can't speak for my "co-signer" Reluctant A.), but this seems like a really strange comparison.

I looked it up. Jimmy Stewart was indeed in Rear Window. It's one of the (few) movies of his I've seen. I liked it. It was fun. The plotting was excellent. The acting was fine. I'm sure the "production values" were good.

But the whole thing had much more in common with a novel by John Grisham or Lisa Scottoline than with The Sound and the Fury or The Old Man and the Sea.

Nothing against Grisham or Scottoline, who are good writers...but Faulkner and Hemingway they're not. Rear Window is just not in the same league with novelists like Faulkner and Hemingway. It's not intended to be.

Or, Cary Grant, who was in Bringing Up Baby. I remember now that he was in it. I saw that movie years ago and don't remember it well. It was enjoyable, I do remember that. But it was a potato chip movie. Fluffy. Very, very far from the best of Faulkner, Hemingway, or Joyce.

As for Peck (and I think I really have never seen anything with him in it), what do I get by watching To Kill a Mockingbird that I didn't already get out of reading the novel, which I've done on multiple occasions?

(The other Cary Grant movie I realized I'd seen was Suspicion, which is god-awful. So there's that, too.)

So again: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and It's a Wonderful Life on the one hand, Ulysses and Absalom, Absalom on the other...these are just extremely different kinds of artistic works. As I said, maybe it's just me.

But I doubt it.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Your loss.
I'll take your word for it.

Quote:
Well, A Farewell to Arms was required reading in my AP English class in high school, so... not exactly. Besides which, if you're a moderately good student, and like to read, you will usually find yourself having to read multiple classic novels. Classic movies, not so much.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:14 AM

The one I've wondered about is Bridget Fonda. She seemed to be doing very well as an actress and just disappeared.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
As much weight as he's gained, recognizing him is a challenge for everybody!
He's lost all of that weight recently and he looks thirty years older than his age (Throat cancer. Don't smoke, kids)

I wasn't exactly a kid when she appeared, more like mid-to-late teens, but- what happened to Alanis Morissette? She was the biggest star in the world of music once. She played God in a Kevin Smith movie. And then, poof!
Old 11-24-2016, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
The one I've wondered about is Bridget Fonda. She seemed to be doing very well as an actress and just disappeared.
Her career took a bad hit after she did Lake Placid. Good roles suddenly became scarce so she dropped out of the movie world after getting married and having kids.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 11-24-2016, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
They just don't make stars any more. I can't tell one Ryan from a Chris from a Tater Channing - they're all so generic. The women, pretty much the same. Little brown hamsters, all of them, running running running on the Hollywood wheel, all in movies about men in tights. I'm not criticizing really, that's the way of the world.
Did you see the episode of CSI where some douchebag claims to be a movie star and Grissom just shakes his head?

"Cary Grant was a movie star. Clark Gable was a movie star. Gary Cooper was a movie star. You're no movie star."*

It was a real Lloyd Bentson/Dan Quayle moment!

*To the best of my recollection.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
John Denver?
He actually fell onto the face of the earth.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
Her career took a bad hit after she did Lake Placid.
Because of the movie or because of some other reason? I thought that was a great movie!
Old 11-24-2016, 07:53 AM

As a preteen I remember shows on evening TV that were just huge: Captain & Tennille, The Six Million Dollar Man, Charlie's Angels (I had a crush on Kate Jackson), The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Donny & Marie, Mission Impossible. Yea, a lot of them were stupid shows. But they're burned in my memory for some reason.

And then I recall some hugely popular band and musicians you don't hear about anymore: Bay City Rollers, Bee Gees, Abba, The Carpenters.

And I remember Evel Knievel-mania.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:18 AM

This reminds me of a judge who had been assigned to a prominent case. A newspaper article described him as looking like a cross between William Holden and Robert Mitchum (look them up on IMDB if you need to). When he arrived at his office the next day, everyone who worked for him wanted to know one thing - who are William Holden and Robert Mitchum?
Old 11-24-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
As a preteen I remember shows on evening TV that were just huge: Captain & Tennille, The Six Million Dollar Man, Charlie's Angels (I had a crush on Kate Jackson), The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Donny & Marie, Mission Impossible. Yea, a lot of them were stupid shows. But they're burned in my memory for some reason.

And then I recall some hugely popular band and musicians you don't hear about anymore: Bay City Rollers, Bee Gees, Abba, The Carpenters.

And I remember Evel Knievel-mania.
Abba? Momma Mia! spent over a decade on Broadway, longer in London, countless touring shows and a movie. Hardly out of sight in the 21st century.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
I had a crush on Kate Jackson
Every straight male in the Free World had a crush on Kate Jackson!
Old 11-24-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.coli View Post
This reminds me of a judge who had been assigned to a prominent case. A newspaper article described him as looking like a cross between William Holden and Robert Mitchum (look them up on IMDB if you need to). When he arrived at his office the next day, everyone who worked for him wanted to know one thing - who are William Holden and Robert Mitchum?
Just out of curiosity, around what year was this? William Holden was the star of Network (1976; sadly, he died just a few years later when he fell and hit his head while drinking), and Bob Mitchum was in The Winds of War miniseries in the early '80s.

Come to think of it, Ali McGraw and Jan-Michael Vincent were in WoW too. When was the last time anyone heard of them?